Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Nigerian Soccer Star Described Racism In India - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Soccer Star Described Racism In India (616 Views)

The Cowardly Biafran Posturing As Described By Ipob--the Runaway Tiger. / Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. / Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Soccer Star Described Racism In India by babypipsy: 4:59pm On Nov 08, 2013
A very interesting read;

United Sports Club
Ranti Martins.
There have been clashes in Goa between the small community of Nigerians and the local Indian population since a Nigerian was stabbed to death in the western Indian state on Oct. 30.
After protests by Nigerians last week, local media reported a drive by the government in Goa to identify and deport Nigerians allegedly in the country without valid visas as well as a move by landlords to evict Nigerian tenants.
Dayanand Mandrekar, the state’s art and culture minister and a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, was later quoted by the Press Trust of India as saying “Nigerians are like cancer.” Mr. Mandrekar couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
The tensions throw light on the situation faced by Nigerians and other black Africans who come to India to work or study.
One of the most high profile Nigerians in India is Ranti Martins, the leading goal scorer in the country’s top soccer league in the last three seasons. He moved to Goa from the Nigerian capital Lagos in 2004, when he was 18.
He says there were times at the beginning of his seven-year stint playing for Dempo Sports Club in Goa’s capital Panjim when he felt like going home because of the way some fans treated him.
He now lives in Kolkata with his wife and their three children, who were all born in Goa. He is a striker for United Sports Club.
The 27-year-old spoke with The Wall Street Journal about racism in India and why Indians need to reflect on the way they treat foreigners. Edited excerpts:
The Wall Street Journal: How have you been treated as a Nigerian living in India?
Ranti Martins: As a football [soccer] player and a family guy I came to Goa when I was so young and it was a nice place for me. But racism happens a lot of the time, it’s something that I don’t think we will be able to stop, as it happens all over the world.
At one point I felt like to going back to Nigeria. When you don’t understand the language, Indians see you as a different race. The way they look at you, it’s really troubling.
On the field, when things are not going well for your team, supporters talk badly and start shouting and ranting that they are not happy. As a foreigner, they keep shouting your name. They say, ‘This African man has to go back.’ Then when I score two or three goals, they keep quiet. As a football player you have to face this.
WSJ: How do you think most Indians regard Nigerians?
Mr. Martins: If Indians are used to international people it becomes easier, if not it’s going to be difficult. They know we are from a different kind of culture, not white or Indian. The way they see things is different; it’s just a matter of the skin color and they look down on darker skin. We should be able to see people as human, we Africans are not aliens.
WSJ: What’s your reaction to the recent events in Goa?
Mr. Martins: It’s really something touching when I hear about Nigerians being killed. It’s bad news for Nigerians and even for people who are from outside India who come to stay in Goa.
WSJ: Why do you think Goa is experiencing these problems?
Mr. Martins: Goans don’t really appreciate other cultures. They tend to complain when people come into the state. They don’t like the change to their culture. But Indians are going outside India – they are in Nigeria and the U.S. and U.K. It’s something that Indians have to reflect on, because we are living in one world, we are the same.
WSJ: Did it surprise you to experience racism in India?
Mr. Martins: It was a surprise to me because before I came to India we lived in a community in Lagos where we cherished outsiders and learnt different things from them. We cherish whenever we see someone new. Indian, Spanish, Brazilian, we love to learn from them and see what they have in them. It’s something that was different when I came to India… I’m enjoying it, I’m enjoying my football, but it’s not an easy situation as a Nigerian.
WSJ: What do you think can be done to improve the situation for Nigerians and other black Africans in India?
Mr. Martins: It’s something that India has to deal with, dealing with other cultures and people and personalities and trying to learn. I would still say that Indians are good people, but for them to experience different cultures is a little bit difficult and I believe it’s something they have to adjust to. It’s up to the government to make sure it educates Indians not to discriminate.
WSJ: Do you think it’s slightly easier for you because you’re a well-known footballer?
Mr. Martins: With my personality they see me as a role model for their kids in Indian community, so I get the return of being loved by the people. India loves stars, I’m happy to be a star here.

Who do these indians think they are?

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/11/07/nigerian-soccer-star-describes-racism-in-india/?mod=e2tw

(1) (Reply)

Money-laundering Nigeria’s Future / Photos: Gov Chime Spotted In Scotland For Son's Graduation / DEC 4: ASUU Directs Members Against Resuming Lectures..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.