Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. (4382 Views)

See Another Young Nigerian Soldier Killed In Borno In The Line Of Duty / Nigerian Soccer Star Described Racism In India / Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Rossikk(m): 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2011
Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''.

http://www.suntimes.com/5097644-417/a-lot-of-pain-over-murder-of-nigerian-teen-soccer-star.html

Full Text:

At 16, rising soccer star Kabiru Adewunmi had NCAA Division 1 recruiters after him. The talented yet humble teen was on his way to something big, his Chicago Fire coach said on Friday.

Instead, the Amundsen High School sophomore took his last breaths Tuesday night in a puddle of blood after a gunman ambushed him as he left a Chatham neighborhood convenience store with four friends. Police say the teen was heading back to his apartment after celebrating a big Chicago Bulls playoff win when he was riddled with bullets in the 800 block of East 82nd Street.

Police said the shooting might have been gang-related, yet officials said they do not believe Adewunmi was in a gang.

But WMAQ-Channel 5 News reported that a car pulled up to the teens and someone inside asked, “Are you the Nigerian soccer players?’’ When they answered that they were, the person in the car opened fire, Channel 5 reported. Police would not confirm that account late Friday.

The teen had been away from his native Nigeria for less than a year after securing a spot on a highly competitive youth soccer team affiliated with the Chicago Fire. He had moved with a legal guardian from the North Side just weeks ago.

Sole Antonijevic, who coached Adewunmi in the under-17 league, said that when the teen came to tryouts last October, “right away you could see his talent, his level of play and his desire to one day become a professional soccer player.

He added:“He was just a fantastic kid. He always had a big smile on his face, was very humble and always worked hard on the field and at school. He was the type of kid that every coach would love to have on their team.”
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by EzeUche3(m): 6:58pm On Apr 30, 2011
Another senseless death of a young Nigerian.

A couple of weeks ago in Maryland, another young Nigerian was murdered in cold blood as well. This is horrible!
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Rossikk(m): 7:04pm On Apr 30, 2011
We talk a lot about Almajiris in the north, but the USA is choking with legions of Almajiris of the Yankee variety - ignorant, bloodthirsty thugs with nothing better to do with their time than hunt their innocent betters to shoot.

I wonder what their rulers are doing to sort that out. (Oh I forgot - they're too busy going around the world instructing others on how to solve their problems).
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Rhino5dm: 7:06pm On Apr 30, 2011
Another Bawomolo is gone!.

Fvcking Americants. . .

At 16, rising soccer star Kabiru Adewunmi had NCAA Division 1 recruiters after him. The talented yet humble teen was on his way to something big, his Chicago Fire coach said on Friday.

Instead, the Amundsen High School sophomore took his last breaths Tuesday night in a puddle of blood after a gunman ambushed him as he left a Chatham neighborhood convenience store with four friends. Police say the teen was heading back to his apartment after celebrating a big Chicago Bulls playoff win when he was riddled with bullets in the 800 block of East 82nd Street.

Police said the shooting might have been gang-related, yet officials said they do not believe Adewunmi was in a gang.

But WMAQ-Channel 5 News reported that a car pulled up to the teens and someone inside asked, “Are you the Nigerian soccer players?’’ When they answered that they were, the person in the car opened fire, Channel 5 reported. Police would not confirm that account late Friday.

The teen had been away from his native Nigeria for less than a year after securing a spot on a highly competitive youth soccer team affiliated with the Chicago Fire. He had moved with a legal guardian from the North Side just weeks ago.

Sole Antonijevic, who coached Adewunmi in the under-17 league, said that when the teen came to tryouts last October, “right away you could see his talent, his level of play and his desire to one day become a professional soccer player.

He added:“He was just a fantastic kid. He always had a big smile on his face, was very humble and always worked hard on the field and at school. He was the type of kid that every coach would love to have on their team.”
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Rhino5dm: 7:16pm On Apr 30, 2011
we are now being killed in northern Nigeria and north America angry angry angry

I guess the dude that pulled that trigger must have ask him to chant "Sai Buhari", Pathetic north American Almajiri.

How i wish the young chap is Igbo(sacarsm alert angry angry)
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by EzeUche3(m): 7:18pm On Apr 30, 2011
Bowie man killed in Glenn Dale

By Jenna Johnson
03:50 PM ET, 04/17/2011

Prince George’s County police are investigating the death of a 23-year-old Bowie man who was killed in Glenn Dale early Sunday.

Police were called to the 10800 block of Glenshire Drive at about 4:15 a.m. Sunday for reports of gunshots. Officers found Oluseun A. Fashina, 23, suffering from trauma to his body. Fashina was taken to the hospital and later pronounced dead.

Two neighbors said they were woken by the sound of at least two shots from a house near the end of their cul de sac, which is often the site of loud, late-night parties featuring live DJs. One neighbor said there have been at least two dozen such parties at the home in the past year, and neighbors often complain about the noise and traffic.

Another neighbor said he heard people screaming and rushing to leave the neighborhood after the shots were fired and police began to arrive.

A promoter for several D.C. night clubs mentioned the free “Spring KickOff House Party” on his Facebook wall on Saturday and provided the same address as the house where police responded. According to the posting, the party was scheduled to last until 5 a.m. and was to feature two DJs.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Rhino5dm: 7:34pm On Apr 30, 2011
The other finger is pointing at the Igbos. . .the haters of yoruba.

EzeUche__:

Bowie man killed in Glenn Dale

By Jenna Johnson
03:50 PM ET, 04/17/2011

Prince George’s County police are investigating the death of a 23-year-old Bowie man who was killed in Glenn Dale early Sunday.

Police were called to the 10800 block of Glenshire Drive at about 4:15 a.m. Sunday for reports of gunshots. Officers found Oluseun A. Fashina, 23, suffering from trauma to his body. Fashina was taken to the hospital and later pronounced dead.

Two neighbors said they were woken by the sound of at least two shots from a house near the end of their cul de sac, which is often the site of loud, late-night parties featuring live DJs. One neighbor said there have been at least two dozen such parties at the home in the past year, and neighbors often complain about the noise and traffic.

Another neighbor said he heard people screaming and rushing to leave the neighborhood after the shots were fired and police began to arrive.

A promoter for several D.C. night clubs mentioned the free “Spring KickOff House Party” on his Facebook wall on Saturday and provided the same address as the house where police responded. According to the posting, the party was scheduled to last until 5 a.m. and was to feature two DJs.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by EzeUche3(m): 7:36pm On Apr 30, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

What? angry

I am trying to sympathize with you all about these worrisome killings of young NIGERIANS in America, and you are putting tribal sentiments into this thread?
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by EgbeNak: 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2011
Americans are among the most rascist in the world trust me. They won't have problem with you if you are ready to wash their plates hhaha. Dumb white nigaas
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Rossikk(m): 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2011
It's not a surprise that Nigerians are a target in the US. They come in and break all the stereotypes associated with 'black folk', and for so many Americans (black and white) raised on the myth of black inferiority and African incapacity, the shock to their system can be overwhelming when they encounter confident Nigerians and Nigerian success. They just can't handle it.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Blazay(m): 10:20pm On Apr 30, 2011
If he had gone to school to be something else other than a "Maradona" or "Pele", I am sure he would have been better off. Or he must have been living in one of those black ghettos of Chicago/Maryland and DC areas, where those ruffians keep shooting down other African children.

Welcome to black on black crime in the US.
Thank God I live in a white neighborhood where everyone minds his or her business. I can NEVER live in the midst of AA folks. I would work with them the educated ones of course, but these 'ghetto' ones? NEVER. They are just like AFRICANS/NIGERIANS. Jealous and insecure of/around one another. Always in competition with one another.

Tufiakwa. Can't live amongst NIGERIANS either, where everyone will be doing 'abeg gimme pepper, abeg borrow me salt'! Sheeeeeeesh!

Tomorrow someone will be shouting whites are racist. . .black power and all other rubbish.

Black people hate to progress amongst themselves and would hate to see others progressing too. See the result? I doubt the murder was committed by a 'white' gang.

Most definitely from a Black or Latino gang!
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by NwaNimo1(m): 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2011
Blazay:

Thank God I live in a white neighborhood where everyone minds his or her business.

Tomorrow someone will be shouting whites are racist. . .black power and all other rubbish.

Black people hate to progress amongst themselves and would hate to see others progressing too. See the result? I doubt the murder was committed by a 'white' gang.

You sound like a cocunut.

See how you hate your people.

Your black arse is probably bringing down the value of your 'white' neighbours houses.

Shame on you.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Blazay(m): 10:32pm On Apr 30, 2011
Nwa_Nimo:

You sound like a cocunut.

See how you hate your people.

Your black arse is probably bringing down the value of your 'white' neighbours houses.

Shame on you.

Arrrgh!

Please, copy the full version, I edited.
The other side of the coin. grin
Glad you know 'we' black folk run down white neighborhoods!
Thanks for your wonderful imput! kiss

Nne na Nnagi bu coconuts!

Ogun a gbe erah!

I am sure it is Nigerian like you that killed this young man. . .Ritualist!

Always looking for some to do 'Torso in the Thames' with!

Ewu!
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Katsumoto: 10:37pm On Apr 30, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

we are now being killed in northern Nigeria and north America angry angry angry

I guess the dude that pulled that trigger must have ask him to chant "Sai Buhari", Pathetic north American Almajiri.

How i wish the young chap is Igbo(sacarsm alert angry angry)

Rhino.5dm:

This is not needed; a young man lost his life.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Kobojunkie: 10:40pm On Apr 30, 2011
Blazay:

If he had gone to school to be something else other than a "Maradona" or "Pele", I am sure he would have been better off. Or he must have been living in one of those black ghettos of Chicago where those ruffians keep shooting down other African children.

My brother plays soccer in the same Chicago, and many of those who do play soccer here are in the latino communities -- I don't think it is the boy's fault that he came less than a year ago to attend highschool and play soccer at his highschool as well. His team mates were mostly whites/hispanics. So why not them if soccer was really an issue.

Blazay:

Thank God I live in a white neighborhood where everyone minds his or her business. I can NEVER live in the midst of AA folks. I would work with them the educated ones of course, but these 'ghetto' ones? NEVER. They are just like AFRICANS/NIGERIANS. Jealous and insecure of/around one another. Always in competition with one another.

While I agree that black-on-black crime is a problem out here, there is no indication that he was killed by black gang members. Out in the South there are also some hispanic gangs . .  he could have been killed by hispanics, who knows? I mean yes the chances are higher that those who committed this heinous acts were black but I don't thnk it is fair to jump to conclusion without getting more information on this.

Blazay:

Tufiakwa. Can't live amongst NIGERIANS either, where everyone will be doing 'abeg gimme pepper, abeg borrow me salt'! Sheeeeeeesh!

But Latinos are not blacks! :X
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Blazay(m): 10:43pm On Apr 30, 2011

One neighbor said there have been at least two dozen such parties at the home in the past year, and neighbors often complain about the noise and traffic.

There we go.
Una tink say na Lagos una dey?
Coming all the way from Nigeria to do 'Owanbe' in America will definitely cost you your life. cheesy

Any where you go party-party-party!
Noise-noise-noise.
Gosh!
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by NwaNimo1(m): 10:48pm On Apr 30, 2011
Blazay:

Arrrgh!

Please, copy the full version, I edited.
The other side of the coin. grin
Glad you know 'we' black folk run down white neighborhoods!
Thanks for your wonderful imput! kiss

Nne na Nnagi bu coconuts!

Ogun a gbe erah!

I am sure it is Nigerian like you that killed this young man. . .Ritualist!

Always looking for some to do 'Torso in the Thames' with!

Ewu!

Your a Cocunut.

I hope your skin also turns white like your brain.

That will put you out of your misery.

Dumb N.igger - shocked
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Blazay(m): 10:54pm On Apr 30, 2011
Nwa_Nimo:

Your a Cocunut.

I hope your skin also turns white like your brain.

That will put you out of your misery.

Dumb N.igger - shocked

Please, tell your parents to go back to school and stop driving taxis in their 60s. Just to prolong your life.
Stop attending public schools with nigghers all over the premises too!
Must you live within walking distance to a liquor store?
Perhpas, if y'all stopped riding 'Kroger' carts all the way from the stores to your doorsteps with your flip-flops, you would be less conspicous targets!

You hood rats!
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by zstranger: 10:59pm On Apr 30, 2011
^^^

You both should act more mature.

Your back and forth is uncalled for on a thread like this.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by buzugee(m): 1:17am On May 01, 2011
used to live 11 blocks from that area. 71st and south shore drive. never had a problem. but then again i never ventured west of south shore drive when it got dark.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by zstranger: 1:22am On May 01, 2011
buzugee:

used to live 11 blocks from that area. 71st and south shore drive. never had a problem. but then again i never ventured west of south shore drive when it got dark.

How far is that from the Nation of Islam compound?
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by buzugee(m): 1:25am On May 01, 2011
zstranger:

How far is that from the Nation of Islam compound?
hmmm good question. must have been very far because i never encountered any of them. see, south shore drive and 71st is just right beside the lake and opposite the street is the south shore cultural center which has a golf course in it and a stage where all kinds of theatrical performances take place. i guess what i am trying to say is that such radicals are not welcomed in that neighborhood. when i was there it was mostly posh civilized middle aged african americans
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by yeswecan(m): 4:31am On May 01, 2011
Very sad
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Blazay(m): 5:16am On May 01, 2011
zstranger:

^^^

You both should act more mature.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Your back and forth is uncalled for on a thread like this.

Hiaaaaaaaaaaahn! Since when 'devo' begin to separate fight amongst human beings?

Nwoke ni iheee!!! shocked

Hmmm!

Just wondering when the 'medication' will wear off! cheesy

Jesus is forever 'LORD'!

Let us wait and see. . . Mu he he he he

Nothing like 'giving' MY God AAAAALL MY cyber and other problems to solve I tellya! grin

My God is biggeran any m[b][size=20pt]U[/size][/b]ntin. . .biggeran EVERYTHING. . .

Nani Jisos. . .Nani Jisos.
Nani yaaaaa. . nee buru n'kpam li leee. . .

Praise my Lord!

Ekwensu li le. . . nee na gba'm g'bam ni mmem ndu mooooo?
Okpara Chinekeeeee!!!!!
Onye m'meri kam bu leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

This is the day that the LORD hath made oooooooooooooh!!!!

Ku wa ya la aka Jehova'm ooooh ooooh!!!

Mma-Mma-Mma Ekene? . . .Mma-Mma-Mma Ekene!

Jehovah you are sooooooooooo guuuud oooooh!
You are soooo gud!

Jehovah you are sooooooooo 'Heggzzzzelent'!
You are soooo gud!!!
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:50am On May 01, 2011
^^^^^

wtf
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by omanzo02: 10:54am On May 01, 2011
Rossikk:

It's not a surprise that Nigerians are a target in the US. They come in and break all the stereotypes associated with 'black folk', and for so many Americans (black and white) raised on the myth of black inferiority and African incapacity, the shock to their system can be overwhelming when they encounter confident Nigerians and Nigerian success. They just can't handle it.

That was spot on, dude.

I can relate to your analysis among some work colleagues, They could'nt stand the sight of a Nigerian with vast experience coming from a developing country into their fold and rise rapidly in a short time, while they have being there for ages, but who cares, the firm/management want result and I'm delivering just that, anyway they just got live with and accept it.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by Arosa(m): 12:34pm On May 01, 2011
So the lesson from this sad story is; when somebody that you think is not Nigerian drive closeup to you and ask if you are Naija, just say no and that infact you have never meet any of them. .   undecided
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by tpia5: 12:39pm On May 01, 2011
I think the lesson is carry a gun.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by suwailad(f): 12:40pm On May 01, 2011
There's crime every where and also its only in known crime locations where these kind of thing happens. Ask the policd.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by tpia5: 12:46pm On May 01, 2011
It's more common in crime prone areas but the other guy who was attacked and almost killed in new york, lived in an upper income neighborhood.

Lord have mercy.
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by zstranger: 1:32pm On May 01, 2011
tpia@:

I think the lesson is carry a gun.

Another of your numerous senseless posts.

So the lesson is that a 16 yr old should carry a gun? WTF?
Re: Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. by buzugee(m): 3:49pm On May 01, 2011
seriously though, i doubt anyone is targeting specifically nigerians. i mean if you look at the numbers proportionately there must be like 20 african american to 1 nigerian in america. and for every 1 nigerian killed, 20 african americans are getting smoked. so its not disproportionately leaning towards naijas getting smoked. there are just so many naijas in america so that the possibility of getting smoked is quite high

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Convention, Mockery Of Democracy – ACN / Breaking! The Nigerian Military Says Chibok Girls Are Dead Already! / Facts And Achievements About General Buhari!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.