Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas (2412 Views)

EFCC Closes In On Ex- Nigerian Defense Minister Obanikoro, Two Sons Over N4.8B / Young Nigerian Soccer Player Killed In The USA ''For Being A Nigerian''. / Unbelievable: Ex Nigerian Presidents Gets Pay Raise From N250m To N2bn Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 13, 2011
[size=18pt]Ex-Nigerian soccer star Okafor kills self in Texas[/size]

LITTLE ELM, Texas (AP) — Uche Okafor, a defender on two Nigerian World Cup teams and a stalwart player for the Kansas City Wizards in the U.S., committed suicide this week at his Dallas-area home, authorities said Friday. He was 43.

Okafor's body was discovered Thursday afternoon by his wife in their house in Little Elm, a town about 30 miles northwest of Dallas, Detective Oscar Hinojosa said. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office said Friday that he hanged himself in an upstairs hallway.

A friend who could not reach Okafor called Ifeyinwa Okafor, the former star's wife, police said.

"She was at work and she came home and found him," Hinojosa said.

Okafor played on the 1994 Super Eagles team that won the African Cup of Nations.

Nigeria reached the second round of the World Cup that year and again in 1998, with Okafor on the team both times. He didn't play in 1994 and played in one match in the first round in 1998, a 3-1 loss to Paraguay after they had beaten Spain and Bulgaria. He didn't play in the second-round loss to Denmark

"We are totally shocked by the news. Uche Okafor was a great player who represented his country at the highest level," said Musa Amadu, acting secretary general of the Nigerian Football Federation.

Okafor was with the Wizards from 1996 to 2000, playing in 119 regular-season games and seven Major League Soccer playoff games. His professional finale came on Oct. 15, 2000, when Kansas City beat the Chicago Fire for its only MLS Cup championship.

When Okafor retired before the 2001 season, he was one of only three Kansas City players to have competed every season since the Wizards' inception in 1996, the team said.

"I'm terribly sad to hear of his passing," said Ron Newman, Wizards manager from 1996 through 1999. "He was a big, strong guy, but he was very pleasant and I found him to be very professional. He was just an absolute gentleman."

"I wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of him if I was playing against him," he said. "He took no prisoners. But he was fair in everything he did; fair play and good guy. If he knocked you over, he'd pick you up and dust you down."

Kerry Zavagnin, an assistant coach with Sporting Kansas City — the Wizards changed their name last year — played with Okafor during Kansas City's championship season.

"I'm shocked and saddened," he said. "He was a great teammate and most importantly, he was certainly a great man. This is a sad loss for all of us."

Okafor had worked for ESPN the past two years, providing analysis of African soccer. His contract had been renewed last month.

"We are deeply saddened by news of Uche Okafor's death," the cable network said. "He was well-respected for his insightful analysis on ESPN Soccernet Press Pass. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and fans."

___

Associated Press writers Diana Heidgerd and Danny Robbins in Dallas, Bill Draper in Kansas City, Mo., and Yinka Ibukun and Jon Gambrell in Lagos, Nigeria, contributed to this report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/07/AR2011010703056.html
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by jason123: 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2011
You want to start tribalism again, abi? Its like you are on your "time of the month"

1 Like

Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Jakumo(m): 5:54pm On Jan 13, 2011
Now this is truly ironic.  Not long ago a desperate Nigerian man who tried to stow away to America in the undercarriage compartment of a passenger jet died of hypothermia and hypoxia long before the aircraft landed, yet here we have a Nigerian already residing in the United States who evidently became so fed up with what America had to offer that he killed himself by strangulation, one of the most horrific ways to go.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 13, 2011
Jakumo:

Now this is truly ironic. Not long ago a desperate Nigerian man who tried to stow away to America in the undercarriage compartment of a passenger jet died of hypothermia and hypoxia long before the aircraft landed, yet here we have a Nigerian already residing in the United States who evidently became so fed with what America had to offer that he killed himself by strangulation, one of the most horrific ways to go.
grin grin grin
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by wesley80(m): 5:56pm On Jan 13, 2011
@OP

And this is breaking news where u are?
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by macjive01: 5:59pm On Jan 13, 2011
moderator could you move this racist baiting post to the sports section.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Abagworo(m): 6:18pm On Jan 13, 2011
This is an old news.The family members have rejected the suicide story and believe it was a set up.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Becomrichn: 7:45pm On Jan 13, 2011
ff
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by aloyemeka1: 7:49pm On Jan 13, 2011
Becomrichn:

The police should check out who  Abagworo, he want to commit murder.

on uche

uche okafor would not kill himself.[size=14pt] i think he was murder[/size]. i cant prove it. nigerian do not do that. and apart from that uche okafor friends have over $200 millions . if he was broke. he would ask for money. and they would give him.
that how nigerian operate. he could not have killed himself. May be the wife was seen another man and that want think he would be rich by killing him. That is what the police should be looking at.

It would be nice for someone to post the wife picture. it will help solve this case. count out suicide. it look like murder.
nigerian dont kill themself.  suicide is out of it for nigerian. is like you saying a yoruba man kill his wife., that is not possible. ask any nigerian, we just marry new wife, I would marry a new wife instead of killing someone. you can go to hell.

Who has the wife been calling. there is someone who is going to benefit from this. A lawyer, or boyfriend or someone was going to be rich for killing him.
he played against diego maradona. and maradona would remember him very well. the wife would become rich over here. she and the friend are the people the police should do a check on.

Did he have problem with anyone, etc, police etc.

Or someone was going to loss something. I dont think he does drug.

I think the Nigeria govt should send detective to the USA, to find out cause. Uche Okafor would not kill himself.

Murder he wrote!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by philip0906(m): 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2011
@op
stale news. . .u r a week b'hind
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Akhenaten: 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2011
I believe the man was murdered as well. However, this thread does not belong in this section. More like the Sports Section to be more exact.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Obiagu1(m): 8:06pm On Jan 13, 2011
I'm not surprised about what ugly women can do. Is it tribalism, fighting on the streets, gossip, mocking the deads, shouting without control, you name it, all by ugly women.
Carry go.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by aloyemeka1: 8:11pm On Jan 13, 2011
Obiagu1:

I'm not surprised about what ugly women can do. Is it tribalism, fighting on the streets, gossip, mocking the deads, shouting without control, you name it, all by ugly women.
Carry go.

Using another person's tragedy to play tribalism is very heinous of her. I am very shocked to say the least. Especially for Uche Okafor who had one biological daughter and another adopted son of Yoruba lineage.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by AndreUweh(m): 8:11pm On Jan 13, 2011
Obiagu1:

Carry go.
WORD.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by AndreUweh(m): 8:20pm On Jan 13, 2011
philip0906:

@op
stale news. . .u r a week b'hind
THANKS.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by AndreUweh(m): 8:21pm On Jan 13, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Using another person's tragedy to play tribalism is very heinous of her. I am very shocked to say the least. Especially for Uche Okafor who had one biological daughter and another adopted son of Yoruba lineage.
Spot on.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Ibime(m): 9:01pm On Jan 13, 2011
Only a maga who doesn't know who Uche Okafor is would be using his name to play tribalism.

Uche was loved by one and all Nigerians who watched him play.

Uche is not a matter to be taken lightly by dunderhead teenagers.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by dempeople(m): 9:26pm On Jan 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Ileki-Idi[/size],

What did you intend to gain by putting up this very tragic outdated news? And in the politics section?

Ileke-IdI:

Quote from: Jakumo on Today at 05:54:03 PM
Now this is truly ironic.  Not long ago a desperate Nigerian man who tried to stow away to America in the undercarriage compartment of a passenger jet died of hypothermia and hypoxia long before the aircraft landed, yet here we have a Nigerian already residing in the United States who evidently became so fed with what America had to offer that he killed himself by strangulation, one of the most horrific ways to go.
grin grin grin

Why were you also laughing about the news of the stowaway who died in the undercarriage compartment of the plane? angry angry angry angry angry angry

Why did you do this?  Why are you like this?  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by jaygetta1: 9:28pm On Jan 13, 2011
For all those attacking Ileke-Idi, just in case I'm missing something, how is the fact that she posted news about the death of a Nigerian Football star living(sic) in Dallas amount to "Tribalism"?
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by aloyemeka1: 9:31pm On Jan 13, 2011
jay_getta:

For all those attacking Ileke-Idi, just in case I'm missing something, how is the fact that she posted news about the death of a Nigerian Football star living(sic) in Dallas amount to "Tribalism"?

because they understand her modus operandi. You don't know her and her wicked ways so you better keep it shut.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Olaedo1: 9:33pm On Jan 13, 2011
Ileke idi, is definitely in need of some D.Not good to play around with death you elephant.You look like Babar.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Metalgoong(m): 9:58pm On Jan 13, 2011
Please you all should forgive ILEKE IDI, the fUGLY Yoruba girl is sexually frustrated . . . EZEUCHE please do something about this.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 13, 2011
grin grin grin

Oh my! Talk about missing your own party. I dont even want to know how this =s tribalism . . . .

@post
So sad!
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by AndreUweh(m): 12:01am On Jan 14, 2011
Ibime:

Only a maga who doesn't know who Uche Okafor is would be using his name to play tribalism.

Uche was loved by one and all Nigerians who watched him play.

Uche is not a matter to be taken lightly by dunderhead teenagers.
God bless you. May the lineage of Uwakwe last forever.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by bkbabe97y(m): 12:12am On Jan 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

God bless you. May the lineage of Uwakwe last forever.

Is this You, Abdabada, or another of ur 29 names speaking?
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by AndreUweh(m): 12:26am On Jan 14, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Is this You, Abdabada, or another of your 29 names speaking?
This is irrelevant poor boy. Anyway, you are not my target in this thread.
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by jason123: 12:27am On Jan 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

This is irrelevant poor boy. Anyway, you are not my target in this thread.

Why must you reply? People just love pulling your legs . . . .
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Freewilly(f): 12:36am On Jan 14, 2011
Metalgoong:

Please you all should forgive ILEKE IDI, the fUGLY Yoruba girl is sexually frustrated . . . EZEUCHE please do something about this.

I think Ezeuche used her and dropped her like a hot potato. Poor girl cry cry cry cry

My Igbo brothers please I'm begging you'll to quit frustration these Yoruba girls biko cry cry
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 14, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Is this You, Abdabada, or another of your 29 names speaking?

Prolly his 2nd ID on this thread, but that "you"'re not his target. grin
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by dempeople(m): 2:08am On Jan 14, 2011
[size=13pt]@Ileki-Idi[/size],

I'm beginning to have a very negative opinion of you. As a matter of decency and respect, you found it funny to insult and make fun of the dead such as Uche Okafor and the stowaway and yet, you have the temerity and impetus to still parade yourself here without offering any sort of apology or remorse to the posters you've seriously wronged here. What's really wrong with you? angry angry angry You must be so silly. angry
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Nobody: 2:13am On Jan 14, 2011
dem_people:

[size=13pt]@Ileki-Idi[/size],

I'm beginning to have a very negative opinion of you. As a matter of decency and respect, you found it funny to insult and make fun of the dead such as Uche Okafor and the stowaway and yet, you have the temerity and impetus to still parade yourself here without offering any sort of apology or remorse to the posters you've seriously wronged here. What's really wrong with you?  angry angry angry You must be so silly.  angry

You guys formed an opinion, and I think you're angrier because I did not confirm your opinion or care to address it.
Honey, you're even lucky that I'm replying you. . . .
Okafor is dead, instead of blessing his soul and wishing him eternal peace, y'all are here screaming tribalism. Talk about "decency and respect" for a fellow brother.

peaz out!
Re: Ex-nigerian Soccer Star Okafor Kills Self In Texas by Musiwa13: 2:25am On Jan 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI , i dont think you know the pain, we feel as nigerian towards his death, I feel so much pain. I feel so much pain. it is like lossing a member of your family Ileke-IdI .  This is why people are upset.

I think you never lived in nigeria.  people love him. so it hurt to see him go.  Not to talk about him been murder. and they are claiming he killed himself.

I am 100% confident he did not kill himself, that he was murder and they hang him. He could not have kill himself. I know so. I feel very bad my sister.

I have tried to solve this case on the internet looking for clues. But the only thing i found is that picture looks younger than what he should look now.

But honestly my heart weep for his children.
I want to find out where did he live in lagos. I want to solve this, if anyone knows where he lived in lagos, school , he went too etc. it would really help solve this case. It help the police over here. Any information of his past, just put it over the internet, the FBI would get it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Rivalry Between Nigeria And South Africa Stalled Au Elections / Clark Challenges IBB To Public Senility Test / Update On PDP Primaries: ADAMAWA STATE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.