Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,609 members, 7,955,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:32 PM

Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? (1881 Views)

Oshoffa Sharing His Meal With Obasanjo *throwback* / 5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers / We Say No To Child-marriage! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 11:56am On Nov 10, 2013
Here are some prayers we say over our meal:

Scenario 1: After a tedious day's work in the office, Ebuka sat over his meal in the canteen and he prayed:
Plus God minus Devil! (Makes the sign of the cross) Amen!

Scenario 2: Ajoke, after helping her mum in the kitchen, sat down with her family of six on the dining as her dad's voice bassed through the other end of the dining table; "hmmm hmmn... Ajoke, lead us in prayer."
She closed her eyes as they held hands with one another:
Bless this food oh Lord for Christ's sake! Amen!

Scenario 3: Oghenekevwe sat at meal with his beautiful wife after a hectic day at the oil rig. They bow their heads as he prayed over a meal of Banga soup and Santana (fufu), here's what he said:
Thank you Lord for this evening food! May it nourish our body and contribute to the growth of our faith as you (God) dine with us in the spirit in Jesus name! Amen!

Wow! shocked
Sounds familiar uh? grin
No? undecided
Ok, share how you pray over your food with us please!
Meanwhile, I call on the spiritually-learned to please enlighthene us on a proper way to say prayers over our food!
Happy Sunday y'all! grin grin grin
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Gombs(m): 3:48pm On Nov 10, 2013
Father, in the name of Jesus, thank you for this meal, bless and sanctify it, provide for those who have not. Amen

Simple

I den devour d meal grin
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 4:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
Gombs: Father, in the name of Jesus, thank you for this meal, bless and sanctify it, provide for those who have not. Amen

Simple

I den devour d meal grin

grin Enough consumption mehn! grin
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 4:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
Gombs: Father, in the name of Jesus, thank you for this meal, bless and sanctify it, provide for those who have not. Amen

Simple

I den devour d meal grin

What do you make of the three scenarios I highlighted above?
»I sure know that many nairalanders people still pray those kinda prayers over their food!
»Does physical meals/food contribute to the growth of our faith? (See scenario 3)
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Gombs(m): 8:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
Kenny4lyfe:

What do you make of the three scenarios I highlighted above?
»I sure know that many nairalanders people still pray those kinda prayers over their food!
»Does physical meals/food contribute to the growth of our faith? (See scenario 3)

Don't knw whr they got that kinda prayers from o
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 2:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
Here's what I believe is right about praying over our meals!

When you study the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John; you'll find wherever Jesus was at meal with his desciples or others- the bible says he- "Gave thanks!"

See Matthew 15:36, 26:27; Mark 8:6; Luke 2:38, 22:17, 22:19

[b] Apostle Paul went ahead, in his epistle to the church in Rome, to establish the significant of praying before having our meals; this you'll find in Romans 14:6 (I'll quote it in part):

"...He that eateth, eateth unto the Lord, for he giveth God thanks..."

Wisdom demands by the act of Jesus; whenever He's at meal/feast and the admonition from Apostle Paul here that, what you're required to say before eating is A PRAYER OF THANKSGIVING, you can afterwards SANCTIFY IT and INTERCEED FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN NEED OF FOOD (i.e the needy)!

»Also, note that your prayer of intersession would come to nought if you in actual fact have enough food but don't share with others!
For instance, you prepared 3 cups of rice for yourself (which you can't finish by the way), say such prayer(giving thanks and interceeding for those in need) and here's your room mate who has exhausted his provision and you refused to dish him a plate because he's a spendthirft/glutton, he has exhausted his provisions! What kinda christian does that? Aren't you gonna put your faith to work?

»I believe the crowning principle behind all this is the word as inspired by the Holy Spirit through Apostle Paul to the Colosians and by extension to all of us born-again christians, that:

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him!"-Colosians 3:17 [/b]

See also, 1 Corinthians 10:31; Colosians 3:23
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
^^^^
Haven said the above, here's how I pray whenever I'm about to have a meal;

Scenario 1: When alone,
(I speak with tongues a bit) Thank you Father for this meal, I bless and sanctify it in the name of your son Jesus Christ! Amen! Then I do the needful! grin

Scenario 2: When asked to pray over a meal/feast, I go-
Thank you Lord for this wonderful meal before us, I sanctify it in the name of Jesus Christ. And I pray that provisions be made for those in need in Jesus Name! Amen!
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by asam7(f): 8:58am On Nov 12, 2013
O lord, at this meal we are mindful of thy Grace, and we ask thy blessing on this food! Amen.( ABD-RU-SHIN)
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
asam7: O lord, at this meal we are mindful of thy Grace, and we ask thy blessing on this food! Amen.( ABD-RU-SHIN)

Nice one! grin grin
What's ABD-RU-SHIN?
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by asam7(f): 12:00am On Nov 14, 2013
ABD-RU-SHIN is a name, he is the writer of the grail message.
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by mumumugu(m): 12:43am On Nov 14, 2013
Let my stomach act as a point of contact for those who dont have. As i taste, they should, taste .as i swallow,they should swallow.

So at the end,we both will be filled up and no one will be hungry
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:48am On Nov 14, 2013
asam7: ABD-RU-SHIN is a name, he is the writer of the grail message.

Oh! shocked
No Qualms!
Re: Prayers We Say Over Our Food/Meal? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:55am On Nov 14, 2013
mumumugu: Let my stomach act as a point of contact for those who dont have. As i taste, they should, taste .as i swallow,they should swallow.

So at the end,we both will be filled up and no one will be hungry

What? shocked
Eh be like say you like food well well! grin
What's the connection between your stomach and their's if I may ask? undecided
Try dey control your apetite small small nah! Just sayin!

(1) (Reply)

Couple Arrested For Selling “golden Tickets To Heaven” / If You Would Ask God For One Thing Only, What Would Be? / Watch Loveworld USA LIVE! With Pastor Benny Hinn Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.