Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work (29725 Views)

Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge, Lands On Danfo Bus [PHOTOS] / 5 Kinds Of Nigerian Drivers To Keep-0ff! / Danfo Drivers/conductors To Wear Uniforms And Badges In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 8:36am On Nov 12, 2013
No where in the article was "8hrs/day" written, where are you people coming up with that?

8hrs at a stretch doesn't mean they still couldn't drive that day.

Anyway, I'm sure they can't implement it fully.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by ayobase(m): 8:36am On Nov 12, 2013
I don't understand why we can't read and understand simple English here.

That you don't like someone doesn't mean that your sense of reason should be recommended for re-evaluation!

Simple English.....8 hrs, Danfo Bus, A Driver!

Imagine Baba Saka driving from 4am-11pm...almost 20hrs. And everyday for that matter. We sure know that they don't drive 20hrs a day. The waiting for turn is worth refreshing!

A driver can only be steering-active for 8 hrs. And I wanna believe that having a conductor that can drive could be an advantage.

In Abuja, I have seen BRT driver stopping at terminals for checks...that also could be one of the means to keep a check on these drivers to know how many hours they have spent driving on the road. Each one will have a log book.

A driver can only be active for 8 hrs, but the bus can work for 25hrs if possible!

And besides, a time contraint wasn't given. It drives around the clock, just choose the convenient time!

Shikena!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Urine: 8:36am On Nov 12, 2013
Folks don't know the difference between 8 hours and 8 hours @ a stretch?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by tjpoet: 8:37am On Nov 12, 2013
You all do not need to argue over this, such policy aint gonna last. Fashola-Opeifa love Lagos so much and they want so many things to work but there are things that cannot work the way they want it to work. A poor man like comfort too; no one likes to be stressed but all these policies are created to make life difficult for the poor so that the rich ones can be safe and happy.
Remember the House-rent policy? Is it effective? How many arrest has being made on defaulters?
Government did not make any contribution towards acquiring my danfo so government shouldn't dictate my working hours. There is no connectivity btw government and the people; the only time we r connected is when they want something from you. 8hours? Fashola is insane and he is pushing it too hard.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 12, 2013
vickyjay2407: BRF is a good strategist. Imagine if this working module or strategy is adopted by the entire workforce, civil service, corporate organisations etc. There would be lots of job creation. This is what is done in europpe and americas and that's why there's job available for whoever is qualified and ready to work. International labour Organisation supports shift works for more job creation, but in Nigeria; na 1 man go work 8-5 monday to saturday. Our recreational senses is all vanished. No family time, no holidays. Some civil servants have other trades they can also do if working on shift. Nigeria!!!! C'mon and wake up. Support the "shift" working system!!!
Dem complain give u? Na u dey feed dem? Who told u dey don't av tym 4 their family? Do u know how many danfo drivers have graduate children? Do u know d@ those danfo drivers have common sense dan u,cos dey interact with the people @d grassroot everyday, #use ur sense now.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 12, 2013
tjpoet: You all do not need to argue over this, such policy aint gonna last. Fashola-Opeifa love Lagos so much and they want so many things to work but there are things that cannot work the way they want it to work. A poor man like comfort too; no one likes to be stressed but all these policies are created to make life difficult for the poor so that the rich ones can be safe and happy.
Remember the House-rent policy? Is it effective? How many arrest has being made on defaulters?
Government did not make any contribution towards acquiring my danfo so government shouldn't dictate my working hours. There is no connectivity btw government and the people; the only time we r connected is when they want something from you. 8hours? Fashola is insane and he is pushing it too hard.
@least some1 talked with his senses...big ups bro,na fashola buy d danfo ni or what? I tire 4 dis people o.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Godswillu(m): 8:43am On Nov 12, 2013
As at today the danfo and BRT are not enough for the people of lagos and now you want to restrict it.

in fact have you seen the BRT buses of late, some danfo are far more better than the BRT buses
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by 9jatatafo(m): 8:45am On Nov 12, 2013
Come to think of it. How many danfo drivers drive 8hrs on a stretch? From the little knowledge I have about Lagos, danfo buses queue at their garages and wait for their turn to load and start another trip. I think this law is not well thought of by my good Lagos State government. I hope this don't go the way of the compulsory autopsy/Coronary law that Lagos State wanted to execute until it hit the rock. Oga Fash think twice! I rest my case
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Fabulous36(f): 8:48am On Nov 12, 2013
My own is they should look out for a way to reduce traffick in this Lagos cos its really full of stress. Instead of reducing their work hours, what about rotating both commercial and private based on numbers. Some people have 3 cars and they ply the road everyday. If vehicles are rotated say every two days, it will atleast reduce traffick
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 12, 2013
Godswill_u: As at today the danfo and BRT are not enough for the people of lagos and now you want to restrict it.

in fact have you seen the BRT buses of late, some danfo are far more better than the BRT buses
Dem no go see d@ one,na to dey compound misery on the masses. #awon wherey.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by alguenyaMIST: 8:57am On Nov 12, 2013
Arysexy: Nonsense law.[color=#006600][/color]

How do u check d 8hrs? Lagos state govt is just after taxing ppl with dia dragon laws. This is another opportunity for touts in uniform to fleece hardworking transporter. Expect rise in crime when u restrict danfo to 8hrs. Ppl dat hit road as early as 4am and close by 11pm daily and still complain of low turn over.

BTW have they implemented the uniform for danfo drivers policy they brot last year? Mtcheeeeew! FashOLE!

Again, drivers driving for 8hrs does not mean buses plying the roads for only 8hrs. Major airlines the world over maintain ground crews I.e. The same crew that flies a plane straight from Houston to Lagos (11-12hrs flight time) is NOT the same crew that will fly back from Lag to Houston. Buses, as long as they are maintained, can stay on the road for 20hrs in 24hrs... or more but drivers cannot drive for 12-16-18hrs (with noise pollution, traffic and attendant stress) without abusing substances. The law has some rough edges that needs to be worked on but if only to curb kidnapping, robberies and the lag-famous 'one-chance', it is long overdue. Oh, by the way, I live and work in Lagos too.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by phizzle017(m): 9:05am On Nov 12, 2013
Michky: ANOTHER FASHOLA ERROR: There was a time the dumbas kicked the touts outta the motor parks without even thinking of the consequences or providing viable alternatives. After crime rate in Lagos almost trippled within a record time, hence accentuating the flaws of our police quicker, the fash govt had no choice but to revert his dumbly thought-out decision. God help us.
You need a brain reset......its people like you that'll still vote kleptocratic politicians. Olofo!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by mapet: 9:06am On Nov 12, 2013
You have simply served him so resounding intelligent slap...hopefully it would cure his "DENSE" brain
SLIDE waxie: i knw some comments like urs will be worth quoting, hence..the reserved space!

Is there something u are missing? Like a common sense? Anywhere 'lagos' is mentioned, ur common sense eludes u and the only things coming outta ur mouths are nonsense without logic.

The trick her is, 'no driver', not 'no bus' (will be allowed to drive at 8hrs a stretch)!
Which means a bus can have two or more drivers fuckin her! Some already do that.

Except a driver on enhancement drugs, which its avoidance is the main reason behind this law, no sane man can drive those cars on an 8 hrs stretch! Especially wen they are not even automatics!

These drivers are on drugs, and u knw it!

What will u say abt their health risks, domestic abuse they dished out due to drugs, accidents, etc. Is insuring the passengers and the cars also a bad move?

Like someone will say, 'a wretched man thinks all laws are against him, the rich makes them work for him'...the difference btw the rich and the wretched is common sense..only a wise man, with God's help can make wealth!

KINGwax™
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by dabossman(m): 9:10am On Nov 12, 2013
Here we go again! Nairalanders blowing hot and cold over a non-issue. Most danfo drivers already practice this, albeit informally. The only difference is that they don't use hours but round-trips, which they popularly call "go-come." Hardly will you find a danfo driver that works non-stop from morning to night. They usually work shifts, especially those who commute shorter distances. On the average 5-10 round-trips is what most do.

The guy who comes out at 5AM usually does a number of trips till rush hour is over at about 11AM-12 noon, then hands over to someone else. He may however resume again at 4PM and work till late, and that is if he is a real serious hustler. Many just chill out at the park drinking and smoking or go home to sleep. Others exchange driving for agbero work later in the day.

The bigger buses like "LT", Coaster, Molue and co who travel much farther distances i.e. CMS to Ikorodu, Egbeda to Obalende, Race Course to Mile 2 etc have at least 30mins to an hour break per trip just waiting their turn to pick up passengers.

What I would like to know is how LASG wants to monitor their hours of work. I'd like to know what technology or method they want to apply. But in truth, all this unnecessary brouhaha over almost every LASG policy can be over-rated sometimes.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 9:20am On Nov 12, 2013
Nigerians and short attention span.....did you guys miss the "at a stretch" part of the entire thing or do most people not understand what "at a stretch" means? Besides, do all drivers start work at the same time that some people complain that there would be no buses once the 8 hour stretch is up? or do people think Lagos' transport system runs like Formula 1? Jeez, comprehension, people!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by UyiIredia(m): 9:21am On Nov 12, 2013
laykhorn: §illy you!
Do you reside in Lagos?

Yes.

laykhorn: How do you even think?

Analytically.

laykhorn: If a Danfo driver works on Road axis Oshodi to Iyana-Ipaja(most drivers do way more than this), It shouldnt take him more than 20minutes excluding external constraints like Traffic-jam etc.

Correct.

laykhorn: Thats Like N100 multiplied by passengers which I'm pressuming to be just 12(they could be more than this). Now, Lets assume he did this just 10 times( or more), do the mathematics.. Hell No! Thats pretty good for a day.

No. Many buses, price of fuel and NURTW fees eat into the amount they make which is less than your estimated 12k. Your assumption is flawed.

laykhorn: Making an average of 10-20K a day isnt that bad but how come most of them still look tattered with such monetary revenue?

They would not be tattered if they were making that amount.

laykhorn: One or more of this is involved; Alcohol, Adultery or General Mismanagement of fund etc

That'll be true they did make the money you assume. Try better next time.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by UyiIredia(m): 9:23am On Nov 12, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: Nigerians and short attention span.....did you guys miss the "at a stretch" part of the entire thing or do most people not understand what "at a stretch" means? Besides, do all drivers start work at the same time that some people complain that there would be no buses once the 8 hour stretch is up? or do people think Lagos' transport system runs like Formula 1? Jeez, comprehension, people!

Lots of folks work for more than 10hrs at a stretch. If I expect any policy now from govt. it's to create better roads, improve traffic control and road maintenance.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by dabossman(m): 9:26am On Nov 12, 2013
tjpoet: You all do not need to argue over this, such policy aint gonna last. Fashola-Opeifa love Lagos so much and they want so many things to work but there are things that cannot work the way they want it to work. A poor man like comfort too; no one likes to be stressed but all these policies are created to make life difficult for the poor so that the rich ones can be safe and happy.

Eh, at the bolded; in many ways the rent policy is gradually becoming effective because folks looking for apartments are now beginning to seek for houses where they can pay only for a year. Even property agents are now advising landlords to collect a year's rent if they want to get tenants quickly. About this time last year I was also house hunting and after some initial gra gra from the landlord on paying 2yrs, he later reduced to a year and a half then eventually sttled for a years rent. Pronto, three apartments where immediately rented. The greater law of demand and supply took its course without the government having to arrest any landlord. You can visit the property section, people are looking for apartments where they can pay for a year.

Sometimes, the people have to make the laws work, not the government.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Toksytoks(m): 9:44am On Nov 12, 2013
corneremperor:
Oh please! will you stop comparing nigeria to the USA? Have you stopped to compare the standard of living in both countries before making your comment? just cos you're well off and the law doesnt affect you doesnt mean you should come on here ranting like a madman. Your comment is a typical example of why Nigerians will never be able to unite against this oppressive government.
U are the one ranting like a madman..which country shld i compare Nigeria with? Somalia and burundi? If u want something good u try and copy from the best. Cynics like you criticized the BRT...our roads arent wide enough bla bla bla. If fashola's Govt is oppressive then you are deluded. There is a new BRT corridor on Mile 12, with 6 lane road expansion and GEJ who backed down as guarantor for the world bank loan has guaranteed the second installment for d light rail and 10lane badagry road to be completed soon. Fashola is building 5 ferry jetties simultaneuosly with park and ride facilities for over 100 cars.Ropeways has acquired right of way for cable cars..All these to compliment LAMATA and BRT..to you this Govt is oppressive. You need to re-tune your retrogressive mind or go back to your village..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by walcolm(m): 9:47am On Nov 12, 2013
this is not a well thought through item at all. most drivers have routes that are linked to garages where they load passengers and they have to take turns...most times depending on the volume, the wait can be as long as an hour. this gives them ample time to rest between trips

most commercial bus drivers dont drive for 8hrs at a stretch at all

this will only just fray nerves and aggravate people unnecessarily
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by RoadLord: 9:51am On Nov 12, 2013
Government will register all Danfo drivers, conductors and owners 4 a fee.

Thousand* thousand* thousand, that's legal exploitation.

There is no way you can measure how long someone has driven.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Boyoorisha: 9:51am On Nov 12, 2013
Psalmuelh2o:
What is nice abt this? Fashola is just doing rubbish,he banned okadas without making provision for them,these things ar having negative effect on the masses,8hrs for what? #rubbish concept #stupid idea.leave dem alone if dey can work 4 24hrs its none of his biz,let dem b registered #dats all.which danfo go con dey carry us go house? #oshi goverment #cant wait to cast my vote for any other party come 2015,we've had enuf of AD/AC/ACN/APC in lagos state, we nid a change.
You may have your ponit, but your vote won't change nothing Mr. PDP E-dog
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by jude33084(m): 9:52am On Nov 12, 2013
Psalmuelh2o:
What is nice abt this? Fashola is just doing rubbish,he banned okadas without making provision for them,these things ar having negative effect on the masses,8hrs for what? #rubbish concept #stupid idea.leave dem alone if dey can work 4 24hrs its none of his biz,let dem b registered #dats all.which danfo go con dey carry us go house? #oshi goverment #cant wait to cast my vote for any other party come 2015,we've had enuf of AD/AC/ACN/APC in lagos state, we nid a change.

Please stop mentioning Okada I beg you angry
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by jude33084(m): 9:56am On Nov 12, 2013
phizzle017:
You need a brain reset......its people like you that'll still vote kleptocratic politicians. Olofo!

Please do you stay in Lagos? smiley
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Toksytoks(m): 9:59am On Nov 12, 2013
Fabulous36: My own is they should look out for a way to reduce traffick in this Lagos cos its really full of stress. Instead of reducing their work hours, what about rotating both commercial and private based on numbers. Some people have 3 cars and they ply the road everyday. If vehicles are rotated say every two days, it will atleast reduce traffick

Dont worry there is a road map to traffic decongestion. I took a ferry from Ajah to ikorodu 20 minutes trip 300 naira..i can never attempt to drive down again. Once the jetties kick off, the metroline. My friend i wont sit for 4hrs in my car , wasting fuel and time.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by phreakabit(m): 10:10am On Nov 12, 2013
The hairy nosed moronic salamander strikes again. A governor known for his "anti-people" policies more than anything else. Comes up with white elephant project seamlessly, never completes any projects and makes life harder for the majority of his beloved voters. I laugh in Igbo.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Toksytoks(m): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

It is ignorant folks like him that will praise the goverment for privatizing the power sector and applaud increased tarrif after our goverment has gulped $16bn and failed to revamp the power sector. I will deal with his post later.
You are the dumb folk. No one is talking about power sector dont be a retard!! What we are saying is get two drivers to drive a bus 8hrs each making a total of 16hrs daily..or stick to routes so they can take rests in btw trips instead of driving 18hrs stretch doing all routes, under the influence of stimulants and drugs.My 3yr old nephew will easily comprehend this..Did you drop out of nursery school?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2013
phreakabit: The hairy nosed moronic salamander strikes again. A governor known for his "anti-people" policies more than anything else. Comes up with white elephant project seamlessly, never completes any projects and makes life harder for the majority of his beloved voters. I laugh in Igbo.

wow, apparently, governors in the South East are building Dubai and New York down east, right?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Belmot(m): 10:19am On Nov 12, 2013
buJu-234:
this mega lagos city frame work plan its like it doesnt have consideration for the poor and average people of Lagos oo..

8hrs

so how will the poor gate man that closes his work@ ikoyi or VI @ 7pm get to his house at Sango Ota.

Or

How will he be able to resumed as early as 6am at his place of work .... when there will b no danfo bus at that time

Please read b4 u comment buses wont stop working it's the drivers..... And they can continue working after getting some rest. The law says 8hrs stretch not 8hrs per day.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 12, 2013
Boyoorisha:
You may have your ponit, but your vote won't change nothing Mr. PDP E-dog
And where did I state am voting 4 pdp here? MR ANIMAL IN HUMAN SKIN aka dumbass.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:25am On Nov 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Lots of folks work for more than 10hrs at a stretch. If I expect any policy now from govt. it's to create better roads, improve traffic control and road maintenance.

Oh, please! Jobs that would put other people's lives at immediate risk, right? Do you know this your disposition is selfish and not selfless? It is for the good of the drivers when they take breaks after every eight hour stretch. You may not know that some of them take hard drugs and other stimulants just to keep up with their nearly round the clock routines. But of course, it is not your business. It is not you that might suffer breakdowns and minor to major mental problems due to drug and stimulant abuse. When a driver breaks down or goes crazy, what's your business, as long as you've got to where you're going. Nigerians can be such a dissatisfied buncha people! I couldn't believe some people actually complained when pregnant women and children were banned from using Okadas. I mean, for whose good? But no, you all want something to whinge about. Maybe you should find yourself on a bus with a drowsy driver....maybe you would be inspired to think differently.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by talktimi(m): 10:38am On Nov 12, 2013
Too many psycophants on nairaland

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vehicle History Tips / How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.