Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,939 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work (29709 Views)

Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge, Lands On Danfo Bus [PHOTOS] / 5 Kinds Of Nigerian Drivers To Keep-0ff! / Danfo Drivers/conductors To Wear Uniforms And Badges In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Gabassin: 10:50am On Nov 12, 2013
dem go show dem go show dem go show dem self kia kia, any wer dem dey dem go show any wer u dey dem go show, foshow anorder way of settin busness 4 him self, hmmmmmmmm eko ti fee baajee.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by vislabraye(m): 10:52am On Nov 12, 2013
rudedough:

What if some yellow buses were stock in traffic past the hours of the yellow buses? How will law enforcement officers distinguish between buses working past their 8 hours shift and buses stocked in traffic? undecided

Maybe you should look at this in a "Rocket Science" perspective.

Thank you for the response. I think the problem with most people is just ITK.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Muteski(m): 11:00am On Nov 12, 2013
Can some1 help me to tell Mr king's men dt dere is no need of abusing ur fellow colleagues..Instead u shd be asking urself a question dt, is the Law a means of employment, deployment, enjoyment, among odaz...just pack ur gramma aside and come to tink of it, this law is on whose favor?...U or d government..?..government want to use dis to generate money, meaning dt d bus_driver/commuter wil definitely use u as well to make govt money......#Lobatan# ni wahala ba de....leads to Alutah continua ....Bus Registration 40,000, Condutor and Driver's Uniform 10,000, if u 4gt ur Uniform at home 15,000, I'd card 10,000 amond odaz...and finally deir Tax is 5,000 monthly...IJOBA
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by vislabraye(m): 11:02am On Nov 12, 2013
Urine: Folks don't know the difference between 8 hours and 8 hours @ a stretch?

Obviously, no driver can drive for 8hrs @ a stretch within Lagos. They will have to stop at some point to eat and to reload their vehicles. Imagine after spending 3hrs in traffic b4 reaching his destination, the driver will most likely eat.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:10am On Nov 12, 2013
vislabraye:

Thank you for the response. I think the problem with most people is just ITK.

Asides "stocked in traffic" being quite hilariously wrong, here's a liddle tip; it does not matter! As far as you have been at the wheel for 8 hours at a stretch, you should take a friggin' break. You think drivers start crashing at the wheel in traffic? Traffic is probably even more stressful for the drivers than when the roads are free because that is when they have to meander and manoeuver their way through, usually resulting in plenty shouting and angry, sweaty faces. I can't see anything wrong with the law. Only issue I might have is how they plan to implement it and the possible costs to the drivers and conductors (for the whole registration and uniform thing).
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Etcurts: 11:32am On Nov 12, 2013
Really, some of them don't work more than 8hrs.
They do shifting to with the same vehicle.
So two persons drive a bus per day.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by a1solution: 11:33am On Nov 12, 2013
droid007: They said eight hours at a stretch. The drivers can drive for eight ours, then rest for maybe an hour, then continue driving. Read peepo, READ
you are funny
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by redcliff: 11:38am On Nov 12, 2013
Keneking: How much can eight hours of commercial driving fetch the common man? Fifty percent of the period is dedicated to traffic and queues at the bus park. I knew this would happen when BRT was introduced in Nigeria. I agree to eating and smoking fine.

Back to the eight hour work policy, who shall be the timekeeper for the drivers? Will the odometer be monitored per trip or how? Most of the
Vanagon buses are even analogue in terms of configuration. In short, this policy has a lot of gap and lacuna.What is the policy of overloading of these bus?

Anyway, I am impressed with the follow-up on the Lagos State Traffic Law by this Commissioner. In short, if he can curtail the excesses of these operators - Okada riders, Keke riders and commercial bus drivers, I foresee a likely successor to Governor Fashola.

Lacuna and gap is one and same. Lol.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by phreakabit(m): 11:39am On Nov 12, 2013
teskyg:
“With the development, no driver would be allowed to drive beyond 8 hours at a stretch, while owners of the commercial vehicles would be made to get insurance that will cover their passengers. Commercial drivers and their conductors would also begin to appear in registered uniform and badges for proper identification by the public.

Another unrealistic policy. A laughable one too. Most people start transport (danfo in particular) businesses for lack of finances. How are they going to afford that insurance knowing how much an auto insurance + life insurance costs?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by logica(m): 11:41am On Nov 12, 2013
Right. It can't be implemented. Tracking devices and odometer reading is rocket science. I agree.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by 2rutalk1: 11:46am On Nov 12, 2013
Fashola has run out of ideas.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by smokeyupu(m): 11:52am On Nov 12, 2013
These guys no get work> They only make plans and programmes on how to extort / loot the masses on a daily basis. Its all about coleection and not given back these days.

Enforcement is now the order of the day in Lagos - License plates - Divers license - VIO - LASTMA...............

The only thing they have failed to enforce / control is the rate of increase in rent and years been charged by the landlords (them them) in this town called Lagos.

The masses are groaning ooooooooooo.......

Heeeeelllllllpppppp!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by baba11(m): 11:53am On Nov 12, 2013
......i have said it before to those that care to listen that govt'll phase out these agberos gradually and it's coming to pass!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 12:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
logica: Right. It can't be implemented. Tracking devices and odometer reading is rocket science. I agree.

Oh I see what you did there....grin ....too bad it will go righ tover the heads of most people on this thread

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by kingschild123(m): 12:11pm On Nov 12, 2013
I just hope the drivers abide strictly to this law all they are after is to make money at the detriment of their health.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by KriTic24A: 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
lastpage:

Those TOUTS work for Opeifa and Fashola and his God Father 'Tinubu' so nothing will be done about them.

It just amazes me when these clowns in govt just do a "COPY AND PASTE" of legislation from overseas, into Nigeria, not taking into consideration our "peculiar environmental issues" that differ greatly from where they are copying from and creates a different set of scenario, for such laws!

8-HRS working time is very desirable and is obtainable in most advanced countries but hey, those drivers can organize their 8-hrs properly,
They can predict their income almost to the last dollar for those 8-hrs
They dont have Agbero to contend with, within that 8-hrs
They dont have "official LGA Touts to deal with within that 8-Hrs
They dont have to spend half of that 8-hrs in unending traffic snarls
They dont have useless Policemen shooting at them with life bullets if they dont part with part of their 8-hr income
They have a "social benefit" system which cushions their income of 8-hrs, should the unexpected happen
Their "car-testing and certification" really works unlike ours where the Govt is only interested in the "Testing Fee" and nothing more!
They dont operate within a Govt that closes down their wife's stall and every opportunity the Governors wife farts or his cronies cough!

I can go on and on but it is not necessary.

Our leaders are past their sell-by date, not fit ofr purpose and completely EXPIRED!
8-hrs working time is not top of the list of this govts problem.

For emphasis, build more roads (not those one-season, rain-wash-away make-overs called roads) and open up access for smoother traffic
*Create alternative to road traffic, buod 4th mainland Bridge and other roads. Main Rail and Light rail inter-city systems is needed.
*Stop buying over-used and written-off Buses as new ones to be used as BRT. Buy good and new Buses as obtained abroad.
*Remove all your street urchins from the road.
*Lets have stable power as a priority and other things will follow.
FInally, stop arming thugs for your political rascality, it comes back to hurt the populace ... and your own family, if not you, as well.

I don commot this thread.

Lastpage!

On this particular issue, i think i fully agree with you LastPage...

Why did Fashola and his co-horts who have been preaching Lagos as a model not start "Social Security Benefit" the past thirteen years of their strangle hold on Lagos despite the astronomical rise in their IGR?
Everything they do is hardly in favour of the masses.
Opeifa compeled all Lagos Taxi users to buy taxi cabs from his own company's arrangement with a bank at a higher rate.
Opeifa condemed the use of Tokunbo vehicles for taxi because he has a company that sells new cars at cut-throat amount..

Though, agreed that Lagos no longer need molue for transportation, they were chased out of existence by a Lagos government that did not have a heart for them and the people who use them, only for all of us to be queueing up in the scorching sun sometimes in the rain on a daily basis, waiting for a BRT that is more or less a glorified molue that are not even readily available...

If BRT arrangement is actually for the masses, why was the Train banned from picking passengers at Oshodi, a bus stop that even expatriates know as one of the busiest bus stops in Lagos with the largest concentration of passengers, considering the fact that trains are the principal means of transporting large commuters?
Because BRT in those route will not make money for their owners, so the train was prevented from there.
Why did Lagos government not apply the same agression they visited on Okada and its riders on the Touts at every bus stops in Lagos...because somebody up there will need them when an election comes arround...

They will soon remind you that it is your CIVIC RIGHT to vote, but ask, why are they not telling you now that it is also your CIVIC RIGHT to benefit from all the good thing they and their families enjoys??

Because they don't have a heart for us but for their pockects...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 12:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
KriTic24_A++:

On this particular issue, i think i fully agree with you LastPage...

Why did Fashola and his co-horts who have been preaching Lagos as a model not start "Social Security Benefit" the past thirteen years of their strangle hold on Lagos despite the astronomical rise in their IGR?
Everything they do is hardly in favour of the masses.
Opeifa compeled all Lagos Taxi users to buy taxi cabs from his own company's arrangement with a bank at a higher rate.
Opeifa condemed the use of Tokunbo vehicles for taxi because he has a company that sells new cars at cut-throat amount..

Though, agreed that Lagos no longer need molue for transportation, they were chased out of existence by a Lagos government that did not have a heart for them and the people who use them, only for all of us to be queueing up in the scorching sun sometimes in the rain on a daily basis, waiting for a BRT that is more or less a glorified molue that are not even readily available...

If BRT arrangement is actually for the masses, why was the Train banned from picking passengers at Oshodi, a bus stop that even expatriates know as one of the busiest bus stops in Lagos with the largest concentration of passengers, considering the fact that trains are the principal means of transporting large commuters?
Because BRT in those route will not make money for their owners, so the train was prevented from there.
Why did Lagos government not apply the same agression they visited on Okada and its riders on the Touts at every bus stops in Lagos...because somebody up there will need them when an election comes arround...

They will soon remind you that it is your CIVIC RIGHT to vote, but ask, why are they not telling you now that it is also your CIVIC RIGHT to benefit from all the good thing they and their families enjoys??

Because they don't have a heart for us but for their pockects...

While I agree on the issue of touts being a menace, getting rid of them is not as easy as you would think (and even if the state government bans touts tomorrow morning, some people will still come here to call the government insensitive to the common man). Most of these touts have no skill for anything other than manual labour - which most of them do not want to engage in. For a lot of them, this is the easy lif - standin at bus stops collecting money from hapless drivers and conductors. Offer them jobs as labourers/unskilled workers and they would turn that down (and most likely end up being a menace if you indeed employ them). Take this away from them and they turn to the next available thing: crime, which i'm sure you wouldn't like if you end up being waylaid by a deprived former tout and dispossesed of your belongings.

I'm just really peeved that the whole touting thing was allowed to develop into the problem it is now. A solution to it would have to be something really well thought out.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by kcpumping(m): 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
What is really wrong with Lagos state government? How can you tell a man that suffered to buy a bus to take care of his family how and when to drive his bus? Just like a fellow said, why cant fashola remove or band agbero from collecting money from dis drivers #exploitations by police,agbero,lasma,Vio road safety# as if this is not enough you ar planning to further inflict pains on this drivers, checkout the okada issues,even in d street police arrests bike men despite d fact I haerd they where bound from major roads, I guess is time for Nigerians to abolish tribal sentiments and stand up to reject in unity most of dis wicked and selfish laws...
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by UyiIredia(m): 12:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Oh, please! Jobs that would put other people's lives at immediate risk, right? Do you know this your disposition is selfish and not selfless? It is for the good of the drivers when they take breaks after every eight hour stretch. You may not know that some of them take hard drugs and other stimulants just to keep up with their nearly round the clock routines. But of course, it is not your business. It is not you that might suffer breakdowns and minor to major mental problems due to drug and stimulant abuse. When a driver breaks down or goes crazy, what's your business, as long as you've got to where you're going. Nigerians can be such a dissatisfied buncha people! I couldn't believe some people actually complained when pregnant women and children were banned from using Okadas. I mean, for whose good? But no, you all want something to whinge about. Maybe you should find yourself on a bus with a drowsy driver....maybe you would be inspired to think differently.

Poor thinking from a brain all mushy from watching Bleach. The policy's I listed would do mych better in improving drivers' welfare without cutting down on worktime. You must be a buffoon to think kesser sorktime guarantees better concentration. The problems from traffic congestion alone will hamper this, you ever considered that pollutants ftom vehicles, not worktime is the cause. Not to mention an unevidenced suggestion that all drivers take drugs. Stimulaants are taken by many. But drugs ! Get HALF a brain. It is dumb of you to think this policy will better things when more fundamental problems are yet to be solved. BTW, did the drivers complain or you are just being a lazy snit who thinks drivers must work for 8hr for better their health ?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by helphelp: 12:55pm On Nov 12, 2013
So na PDP be ur change...

SMH

Psalmuelh2o:
What is nice abt this? Fashola is just doing rubbish,he banned okadas without making provision for them,these things ar having negative effect on the masses,8hrs for what? #rubbish concept #stupid idea.leave dem alone if dey can work 4 24hrs its none of his biz,let dem b registered #dats all.which danfo go con dey carry us go house? #oshi goverment #cant wait to cast my vote for any other party come 2015,we've had enuf of AD/AC/ACN/APC in lagos state, we nid a change.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by UyiIredia(m): 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2013
Toksytoks:
You are the dumb folk.

Not bad for an ignoramus.

Toksytoks: No one is talking about power sector dont be a retard!!

Says the frothing fool.

Toksytoks: What we are saying is get two drivers to drive a bus 8hrs each making a total of 16hrs daily

And poof ! Lagos traffic problems disappear. You are dull.

Toksytoks: ..or stick to routes so they can take rests in btw trips instead of driving 18hrs stretch doing all routes,

In fact some stick to routes. It varies with the driver and his needs at the moment. Even then they do take breaks under the current system. That's one thing fools like you fail to NOTE.

Toksytoks: under the influence of stimulants and drugs.

Who told you all take drugs ? Or even stimulants. Evidence please ! I don't trust words from a prat.

Toksytoks: My 3yr old nephew will easily comprehend this..Did you drop out of nursery school?

Will he now ? Because I fear stupidity is the surname of your family. By the way, I finished tops from my primary school.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by princenonny(m): 1:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
Fashola remains gov of traffic control and sanitation. QED
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
If you ask me, I'd say this is very harsh on the danfo operators. This guys are struggling to make ends meet. Agberos/Area Boys/Touts feed on them, Police/Yellow Fever feed on them, LASTMA/VIO/FRSC feed on them and even the military also feed on them (they claim "Staff" thus they don't pay for their Tfare). How do you expect these danfo operators to feed all these parasites and still have change left for him and his family with just 8hrs of work. And if I may ask, how do the govt intend to measure the number of hours spent by a danfo driver?

Inasmuch as I don't like the poor services and poor HR of our danfo drivers, I think the govt is coming down a bit hard on them. The government must realise the bad economic situation of this country and ensure that its policies are not anti-people. I rest my case.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Poor thinking from a brain all mushy from watching Bleach. The policy's I listed would do mych better in improving drivers' welfare without cutting down on worktime. You must be a buffoon to think kesser sorktime guarantees better concentration. The problems from traffic congestion alone will hamper this, you ever considered that pollutants ftom vehicles, not worktime is the cause. Not to mention an unevidenced suggestion that all drivers take drugs. Stimulaants are taken by many. But drugs ! Get HALF a brain. It is dumb of you to think this policy will better things when more fundamental problems are yet to be solved. BTW, did the drivers complain or you are just being a lazy snit who thinks drivers must work for 8hr for better their health ?

Even poorer thinking from a brain that fails to notice simple and essential details in really simple statements. Remember what caused the whole back-n-forth? Your apparent failure to notice the words "at a stretch" that came after "8 hours"? One would think you would have learnt from that one but no, your addled brain went ahead to skip over another essential word when I typed some and you took it to mean all. Let me help your lazy self out by pointing out where:

You may not know that some of them take hard drugs and other stimulants just to keep up with their nearly round the clock routines.

It would do you well to take note of the bolded word next time. Then back to your suggested policies:

Lots of folks work for more than 10hrs at a stretch. If I expect any policy now from govt. it's to create better roads, improve traffic control and road maintenance.

Now, I would like you to point out where exactly in the report that it was said that the Government was trading in its responsibilities to provide the above in exchange for drivers taking breaks after each eight hour stretch. Se what an interminable complainer you are? Oh, and we should wait till the drivers complain before such a law is passed? Oh really? Why don't we wait till all the airlines are complaining that their planes are dropping out of the sky before implementing reforms in the aviation sector. Isn't ASUU still on strike? Is that not the product of government waiting for the complaint before acting?

Wait, are you for real or are you just an annoying internet troll?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
Obinoscopy: If you ask me, I'd say this is very harsh on the danfo operators. This guys are struggling to make ends meet. Agberos/Area Boys/Touts feed on them, Police/Yellow Fever feed on them, LASTMA/VIO/FRSC feed on them and even the military also feed on them (they claim "Staff" thus they don't pay for their Tfare). How do you expect these danfo operators to feed all these parasites and still have change left for him and his family with just 8hrs of work. And if I may ask, how do the govt intend to measure the number of hours spent by a danfo driver?

Inasmuch as I don't like the poor services and poor HR of our danfo drivers, I think the govt is coming down a bit hard on them. The government must realise the bad economic situation of this country and ensure that its policies are not anti-people. I rest my case.

bros, go back and read it again, properly this time.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Toksytoks(m): 2:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Not bad for an ignoramus.

Says the frothing fool.

And poof ! Lagos traffic problems disappear. You are dull.

In fact some stick to routes. It varies with the driver and his needs at the moment. Even then they do take breaks under the current system. That's one thing fools like you fail to NOTE.

Who told you all take drugs ? Or even stimulants. Evidence please ! I don't trust words from a prat.

Will he now ? Because I fear stupidity is the surname of your family. By the way, I finished tops from my primary school.

I dont need to exchange words with u. Ur IQ is reasonable low. Am a medical Doctor i ve worked in A/E units and trauma centres u dont know a bit about accidents, deaths and statistics. Unfortunately u have a phone which doesnt require abit of common sense to use. Tell me a state in the world with over 16million people and over 8million cars with no traffic issues. In indonesia traffic officers are trained to take deliveries just in case pregnant women get stuck in traffic. Lagos state just gave out right for cable cars, 5 jetties almost completed for water way transport in ipakodo,mile 2 , badagry, ajah and ikoyi. Mile 12 BRT extension, light rail from badagry to orile with a 10 lane road all these are efforts by the govt to ensure traffic free lagos. But fashola wont drag people out of theit cars to take the train or ferries when they become functional. As for stimulants u dont know what it means . Go to the motor parks and see whthe local herbs that these drivers consume..what do you think they contain? Vitamic C? Together with the Road safety I volunteered for free health campaign at motor and trailer parks. Cigarrettes contain nicotine a powerful stimulant not to mention marijuana which some of this drivers take. I have no problem with people with docile brain, trying to appear smart when not is the issue. You are absolutely not a smart person, coming tops in your village primary school is not a criteria. You neer to retake common entrance exams. Nobody is saying traffic jams will disappear just like that. If i own a bus i shld employ 2 drivers at least and sticking to routes will make transit time shorter and more convinient for drivers. Get urself enlightened it doesnt cost much..
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
Toksytoks:

I dont need to exchange words with u. Ur IQ is reasonable low. Am a medical Doctor i ve worked in A/E units and trauma centres u dont know a bit about accidents, deaths and statistics. Unfortunately u have a phone which doesnt require abit of common sense to use. Tell me a state in the world with over 16million people and over 8million cars with no traffic issues. In indonesia traffic officers are trained to take deliveries just in case pregnant women get stuck in traffic. Lagos state just gave out right for cable cars, 5 jetties almost completed for water way transport in ipakodo,mile 2 , badagry, ajah and ikoyi. Mile 12 BRT extension, light rail from badagry to orile with a 10 lane road all these are efforts by the govt to ensure traffic free lagos. But fashola wont drag people out of theit cars to take the train or ferries when they become functional. As for stimulants u dont know what it means . Go to the motor parks and see whthe local herbs that these drivers consume..what do you think they contain? Vitamic C? Together with the Road safety I volunteered for free health campaign at motor and trailer parks. Cigarrettes contain nicotine a powerful stimulant not to mention marijuana which some of this drivers take. I have no problem with people with docile brain, trying to appear smart when not is the issue. You are absolutely not a smart person, coming tops in your village primary school is not a criteria. You neer to retake common entrance exams. Nobody is saying traffic jams will disappear just like that. If i own a bus i shld employ 2 drivers at least and sticking to routes will make transit time shorter and more convinient for drivers. Get urself enlightened it doesnt cost much..
just leave that one. He/she/it is trying to justify the gaffe he made back when he first read the thread and failed to read "at a stretch"
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by titilayo02: 2:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
teskyg: The Lagos State Government says it would begin enforcement of a section of the road traffic law which restricts commuter bus drivers from driving for more than eight hours at a stretch daily.

Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa disclosed this at the weekend at a news conference heralding the National Council on Transportation conference which kicked off today and would end on Friday at the Lagos City Hall, Lagos, southwest Nigeria.

According to Opeifa, section 44 of the Road Traffic Law bars commuter bus drivers from driving for eight hours at a stretch, saying that government would begin enforcement of the new law in January 2014.

He said many commuter bus drivers did not know that such a pprovision exists in the traffic law, saying that the next phase is to register all commuter bus drivers, conductors and owners of such vehicles so that through the registration, the drivers could be monitored effectively to ensure compliance with the 8 hours work rule and other aspects of the traffic law.
•A commuter bus, popularly known as Danfo, along Agidingbi road this morning

•A commuter bus, popularly known as Danfo, along Agidingbi road this morning

Opeifa warned that by January next year, government would not have mercy on any bus driver who failed to register, as his vehicle would be impounded for breaching the traffic law.

“With the development, no driver would be allowed to drive beyond 8 hours at a stretch, while owners of the commercial vehicles would be made to get insurance that will cover their passengers. Commercial drivers and their conductors would also begin to appear in registered uniform and badges for proper identification by the public.

“To be regulated also is the number of passengers who stand in the buses particularly, the Bus Rapid Transit, BRT, while no commercial vehicle would be allowed to ply routes not registered for by the government.

“Smoking and eating while driving within the state would attract N20, 000-N30,000 in accordance with the provision of the law for first and second offenders respectively,” Opeifa stated.

According to him, this development is to sustain security and safety already established in the state by the state traffic law, adding that accreditation of the owners of the commuter buses was to ensure that all operators were captured in government’s data base to curtail atrocities and crimes committed with the use of unregistered commercial vehicles.

“With these moves, we want to curtail kidnapping, robberies and other forms of crimes perpetrated by the continuous usage of unregistered vehicles for commercial purposes. We are out to tackle the issue of ‘one chance’ headlong.

“Also, the situation where the drivers and their conductors dress shabbily would be checked with the introduction uniform and badges for them. We are also re-introducing routine system for them. They will only ply only route boldly written on their buses,” he said.

On the 13th National Council on Transportation meeting being hosted by Lagos, Opeifa said the programme was organised to ensure adequate improvement in the transportation system, identify opportunities within the sector and promote various modes of transportation.

The commissioner disclosed that the theme of this year’s conference is: Transformation of Transport Infrastructure: Catalyst for Socio-Economic Growth.

The conference by the council, which comprises all commissioners of transportation in Nigeria, would be chaired by the Minister of Transport, while Governor Babatunde Fashola would be the chief host of the event.

He said the event would be in two sessions-the technical and the National Council meeting, saying that the technical session would be headed by the Federal Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transportation.

Opeifa said the state government had made adequate preparations to ensure that this year’s meeting was unique as many private organizations were partnering with the government in this regard.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/11/11/govt-restricts-danfo-drivers-to-8-hrs-of-work/
I think Gov. fashola and mr Opeifa are out of their mind and has misplaced their priority on issues of transportation and security,why is it that
issue concerning agbero(area boys)are not giving attention and law regarding hoodlums are not enforced.Gov.fashola please be careful,your own they too much ooooooo.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by armadeo(m): 2:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
pastormustwac: What if a danfo driver drives more than one bus? He drives bus A for 8hrs plying route 1, bus B for another 8hrs plying route 2?

the naija mind @ work quick to see loopholes and take advantage.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 2:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
titilayo02:
I think Gov. fashola and mr Opeifa are out of their mind and has misplaced their priority on issues of transportation and security,why is it that
issue concerning agbero(area boys)are not giving attention and law regarding hoodlums are not enforced.Gov.fashola please be careful,your own they too much ooooooo.
Exactly! They are now the ones to dictate to a danfo driver who's struggling to make ends meet on the number of hours he is to drive. Its not as if they are paying the Danfo drivers any stipend. How will they even measure to know the number of hours a danfo driver spends at a stretch? This is a misplaced priority
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
Obinoscopy: Exactly! They are now the ones to dictate to a danfo driver who's struggling to make ends meet on the number of hours he is to drive. Its not as if they are paying the Danfo drivers any stipend. How will they even measure to know the number of hours a danfo driver spends at a stretch? This is a misplaced priority

*Sigh* I asked you to go back and read the story properly and you failed to. I'll just be benevolent and help you out; now the story says "eight hours at a stretch". Meaning the driver can drive for eight hours straight then has to take a break. After taking said break, driver can resume for another eight hour stretch. Capisce? Doesn't mean driver drives for eight hours, then parks his vehicle and calls it a day.

(really won't be surprised if you try to defend your first reply after realizing your mistake. someone has already done that on this thread.)
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Obinoscopy(m): 3:25pm On Nov 12, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

*Sigh* I asked you to go back and read the story properly and you failed to. I'll just be benevolent and help you out; now the story says "eight hours at a stretch". Meaning the driver can drive for eight hours straight then has to take a break. After taking said break, driver can resume for another eight hour stretch. Capisce? Doesn't mean driver drives for eight hours, then parks his vehicle and calls it a day.

(really won't be surprised if you try to defend your first reply after realizing your mistake. someone has already done that on this thread.)
I chose to ignore your first comment. I will ignore this as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) / Innoson Acquires Robot Equipment, Increases Production Capacity To 60,000 / On The Eight Day, God Made The V8: My Journey To 400 HP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.