Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport (38346 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Jonathan Transforms Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sCun: 4:20pm On Nov 17, 2013
Pattey:

You are such a Hypocritical clown. . . How dare you compare Ghana where a Minister is sacked for merely speaking of intentions to steal; Not even executed Oo. . . TO NIGERIa where the President categoriclly states in a Presidential Media chat that corruption is 'Exaggerated'. One whose ministers are not accused of plotting to steal but actually stealing. Yet, they only get sacked when their 'political sponsors' who nominated them to cabinet have misunderstandings with the President,

Young man or Old man, you are such a joke cheesy
The Minister was sacked for exposing the Presidents wheeler dealings. Go figure
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by GHKWAME1: 4:40pm On Nov 17, 2013
sCun: The Minister was sacked for exposing the Presidents wheeler dealings. Go figure
What wheeler dealings? Must you denigrate our president simply because some of your compatriots have chosen to do a comparative advantage between Ghana and Nigeria? I guess you will start looking for wheeler dealings of the Pope when next someone compares Nigeria with the Vatican. No wonder some of you were happy and appealing for a Front Page Post when Ghana was named the third most Perceived corrupt country in Ghana.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by sCun: 4:53pm On Nov 17, 2013
GH^KWAME:
What wheeler dealings? Must you denigrate our president simply because some of your compatriots have chosen to do a comparative advantage between Ghana and Nigeria? I guess you will start looking for wheeler dealings of the Pope when next someone compares Nigeria with the Cardinal. No wonder some of you were happy and appealing for a Front Page when Ghana was named the third most Perceived corrupt country in Ghana.
Your questions should be directed to the minister not me
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by PetroDolla2: 4:55pm On Nov 17, 2013
sCun: The Minister was sacked for exposing the Presidents wheeler dealings. Go figure
wheeler dealings grin my azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by GHKWAME1: 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2013
sCun: Your questions should be directed to the minister not me
I thought you was an expert on Ghana affairs?, were you not the one claiming to have lived there before hence gives you a legitimate right to rubbish anything Ghana?
I think you should be more concerned about the daily wahala that affect Nigerians and hold your leaders accountable instead of Poking your nose into Ghanaian affairs huh?

Politics / Re: China Closes Nigeria
Visa Centre In Beijing Over Illegal
Activities

https://www.nairaland.com/1520551/china-closes-nigeria-visa-centre#19597105

Politics / Re: CULTISM:4 Injured As
Secondary School Students Engage
In Free For All In Osun

https://www.nairaland.com/1519276/cultism-4-injured-secondary-school#19576353

sCun:
The country you want us to
be like is a third world country by
all international standards. The
writer lamented the inabilty of
Nigerians to strive for excellence,
yet your ambition is for us to be like
ghana. Why not Norway, Sweden or
even South Africa or Malaysia? By
the way, you aren't the only one who
has lived in ghana, some of us know
better.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Pattey(m): 6:22pm On Nov 17, 2013

Your case is; Odikwa Pathetic!. . . See story spinning on behalf of Ghanaians grin
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2013
Latest images of inside Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos - Nigeria. Not as bad as people are saying here. Very unorganized though

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos, Nigeria. It is going through renovation in the image below.

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 24, 2013
That airport called MMIA is an embarrassment to our country. I almost wept when i visited South Africa last month and i saw how good looking and organized Oliver Tambo airport is. After my business in South Africa, i lodged at the City Lodge within the confines of the airport for two nights and i had fun touring the length and breadth of the airport. Never for once during my tour of the whole airport was i accosted by arm guards or touts at the airport.

I can only say, for all the harm done to Nigeria by her leaders, who often visit all these other countries;and yet choose to plunder our resources and leave us in utter state of underdevelopment; cursed be them and their generations forever.

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by babaowambe: 4:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
teething pains, things will get better
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by otokx(m): 12:45am On Dec 27, 2013
babaowambe: teething pains, things will get better

Things will only get better when we understand how bad it is. Truth be told, there is no Airport in Nigeria; when you look at Gatwick, Nairobi, Cape Town or even Cairo.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by babaowambe: 1:36am On Dec 31, 2013
dont worry nigerian airports will even surpass dubai and singapore combined in my life time
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DisGuy: 2:01am On Dec 31, 2013
Whats the AC like now ? still undergoing repairs ?
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bigfrancis21: 6:25am On Jan 01, 2014
MMIA isn't that bad as I expected. I was there on sunday. Yes, there are no ACs but I didn't feel hot or sweat or something. Maybe its because of the harmattan season.

The only thing about it is that the airport isn't up to standard with other international airports in the world. The international airport at Dubai alone beats MMIA 10 times over, let alone JFK New york. At Dubai, I had to take a train to terminal B17 where my flight to New york was boarding. The train rode at a fast speed for about 5 minutes. This is to show you how enormous the airport area is and the complexity of the airport. If care is not taken, one could easily miss one's way at the airport.

JFK is even 3 times more than Dubai or 30 times more than MMIA.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 05, 2014
babaowambe: dont worry nigerian airports will even surpass dubai and singapore combined in my life time

You're a dreamer.

MMIA don't look that bad when you're departing, especially at the check-in point downstairs and the waiting lounge upstairs (which is small and somewhat unatttractive compared to most standard international airports such the Dubai and Singapore airports u mentioned). You however start to get the sense disgust and nausea of the MMIA when you're a returning traveler.

As you get off the aircraft and start making your way into the arrival terminal for immigration inspection, you start to get a real life feel of a third world nation. It automatically dawns on you that "yes! i don enter naija"; first, you start to perceive a nastydirty smell that come across as though the toilet has been left unflushed for days, then u see the floor and wall of the airport looking so black, dirty and unkept and then yes, the heat! Trust me, i don't think they've repaired the AC. when it comes to flying, most things with a nigerian management is a miss; I flew into naija last November, firstly, two nigerian men were fighting seriously in the aircraft,lol, then when we got to MMIA, the aiport officials could not fit the jetbridge properly so we were stuck in the craft and couldnt get off for about 45mins. After we eventually got off and seriously chopping some nice 'shit-like' smell on our way to the inspection counter, there was only a handle full of officers attending to a huge number of passengers, the hall was so crowded and hot. There was only about 3 fans and the immigration officers faced it directly to themselves, everybody else including the white people were all sweating like 'Chrismas goats', everyone complaining and taking of their blazers one after the other. Then to pick up your lugages again na another round of long wait and wahala.

Nigeria has a long way to go. To start thinking Dubai or Schipol is just a misplaced dream. Come off it!

The funny thing is that to make the terminal more decent (not necessarily a singapore or schipol standard), but to give a decent returning experience to travelers would not cost more than NGN20million for renovation, but you have the minister of aviation spending NGN255million on bullet proof cars...God is watching them!

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by berryworld: 11:11pm On Jan 19, 2015
Bt I taught dey said goodluck administration has renovated all d international airport across d country?abi stella oduah don chop d moni.I don't even knw which one 2 believe anymore.people keep making noise dat goodluck is working,even his home town bayelsa is undevelop.hmm nigeria has serious problem.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
BabaEleko:
Jonathan and his hand picked bunch of ministers and special advisers are nothing but a selection of advance fee fraud stars whose destiny is nothing but to drive this country as backward as possible through a well schemed program called "Fresh Air" a.k.a Transformation agenda.

Most of these mofo coming on here to sing praise of these bunch or criminals are either doing what they've been paid to do, or there are totally cut off from the reality of the Nigeria state, or they are just a circus of clowns who have never seen anything developed in their miserable lives of maybe they are just not psychiatrically stable.

Don't expect it to be given to u. You deserve the right to good roads, light, health care system, education etc. The right to freedom of press, association and every basic human right that have been snatched away from you. Nigerians stand up for your right!!!!!!!! Right now!!!!!!!!

And at topic; Nanjing Train station in China makes MMA look like a local bus station not to talk of Beijing or Shanghai Hongqiao train station. If you doubt me, ask anyone u know in China.

Baba Eleko typing from Orange, California. Peace!

Good day Sir, forgive me but i need your assistance.

As an experienced traveller, contrary to my timid self, I'd like to learn from your numerous travels to and out of Nigeria, the way MMIA, Lagos is structured.

Please, see I am writing a Book(Novel), and it has gotten to the stage where I capture "Nigeria in MMIA", I'd love to know the steps in arriving Nigeria, from the Airplane- Immigration(and if an Airport Bus will convey you from the Plane to Immigration), the general attitude of the Immigration officers, and when done with immigration whats next?

Just step by step movement from the Airplane in Arrival, to the point where you enter a Taxi/Cab that takes you to town. I'd also like you to capture the Atmosphere in each phase(hotness/coolness), attitude of FAAN officials/Immigration/Touts/Beggars/Scammers/Thieves and the general look of each section.

Please I'm just an untravelled Nigerian that needs this piece of information for my Book I'm writing. Help me. I know in a way you will have embarrased the country if you did, but after self-criticism and aknowledgement, comes improvement and development.

May God bless your soul as you give me an honest review.
Thank you.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by seokts: 2:48am On Nov 16, 2016
I went to the airport, this once, and I found quite good
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Teeboy22(m): 5:07pm On Nov 16, 2016
seokts:
I went to the airport, this once, and I found quite good

Yeah Yeah...looking goodnow
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by esosa4real(m): 1:54am On Nov 21, 2016
Teeboy22:

Really? How is the airport now? What are the changes? Action working well now? What about the conveyer belt system for luggages?

I am coming soon and hoping there is change grin
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by maxcovn: 3:28am On Nov 22, 2016
Teeboy22:

I agree with him are
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by HOKIM(m): 10:12am On Feb 19, 2022
bcomputer101:

Source: www.punchng.com/opinion/the-shame-called-murtala-muhammed-international-airport/

ALMOST 10years after this write-up and the problem is still the same, If not worse... its crazy but this country WILL NEVER WORK...
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by kuntash: 10:38am On Feb 19, 2022
HOKIM:

ALMOST 10years after this write-up and the problem is still the same, If not worse... its crazy but this country WILL NEVER WORK...

Quite sad !

The airport may not actually be that bad as in the structures , but there are lots of issues begging for answers ..
Corruption, especially is so so endemic !
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 1stGenAmerican(f): 12:38pm On Feb 19, 2022
It’s easy to blame bad leaders but one trip through MMA proves that Nigeria’s corruption problem is grassroots, not just within the leadership. Every soul working at MMA has a hand out, expecting bribe. No professionalism and have no shame so they yell at visitors. It doesn’t get any worse than this.m
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by HOKIM(m): 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2022
kuntash:

Quite sad !

The airport may not actually be that bad as in the structures , but there are lots of issues begging for answers ..
Corruption, especially is so so endemic !

Trust me brother, the structures are very bad.... unfortunately I'll have to go through it soon... I have been to some countries in the middle east and south America... that's when I realised how really bad the MM1 really is... thrash at it best... sadly...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Visit To Bowers Tower In Ibadan / El-Rufai Builds Kabala Costain 230m Bridge (Kaduna Urban Renewal Project) / Flood Washes Off Part Of Kwaita Bridge Along Lokoja - Abuja Expressway (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.