Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,498 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof (40715 Views)

The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria / Proper Analysis Of Design And Cost Of A Foundation Design For Bungalows / My agent sold my land without my knowledge what can i do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Afritop(m): 6:36pm On Nov 13, 2013
Too bad! The guy aimed and shot himself in the Leg proudly and heavily.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by omiobo: 6:38pm On Nov 13, 2013
OP,do have any news about agbowa land because I'm planning to invest in that area? I beg help your brother.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by herquleez(m): 6:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
There is recourse for your Mr one chance. For the mere fact that he contacted professionals (lawyers and surveyors) who went ahead to draft the agreement and the survey plans respectively without doing proper search as required by law, those professionals are culpable.

As professionals we have a duty of care and due diligence and once we fail our clients who have put their trust and faith in us, those clients can sue us o.

@op, you have done well by not involving yourself. Ive been in a situation like that. It's sad though.

1 Like

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by BabaEto1: 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
This is a LOCUS CLASSICUS on the old saying " penny wise pound foolish" this will serve as a lesson to other " I too know" people. Thanks 4d enlightenment "Lawyer"

1 Like

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by brabus(m): 7:23pm On Nov 13, 2013
Very good piece of information here!
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by anselm791(m): 8:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
In as much as I wouldn't like to spoil your marketing and advertisement strategy, I felt a little offended at your opening statement, I mean I come to nairaland for a good laugh now you've killied all the fun, and I'm sure you know you don't have much control at posts on FP, i mean you're a smart lawyer. So relax.

2 Likes

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Sunglow: 8:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
Oga law thanks for this info it is so timely. A friend called me today that he his interested in buying land @ Agabara pls can you help specify any reputable Estate firm to buy from.Thanks,your reply will be highly appreciated.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by bfmconcepts: 8:20pm On Nov 13, 2013
@Lawyer
Is your Land Searching fee fixed or varies
If am buying a land of 2m in Lagos or land 500k in ogun state, do I still pay 50K?
pls clarify
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by greggng: 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2013
Lawyer I bought a quater plot of land at new okooba were I built 3bed room. I have deed of assignment and I did the surveryor and my lawyer told me is free from acquision. My problem now is that the achitect told me I cant have a c of o except I will team up with the landlord to secure one. In that case whose name will be there?

1 Like

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Chinwem(f): 8:51pm On Nov 13, 2013
bfmconcepts: @Lawyer
If am buying a land of 2m in Lagos or land 500k in ogun state, do I still pay 50K?
pls clarify

Very good question
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Sike(m): 8:52pm On Nov 13, 2013
Hazard ko, Oscar ni.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by sleekdre: 8:52pm On Nov 13, 2013
lawyer:

Thanks olaoreawofele

I will definitely look into this one. I know the Woman pushing Monan personally and I will bring this issue up for her to dispel or disprove it. It's a weighty accusation and people's money are at risk here. Although the part of Monan Estate I investigated shows the land belongs to them, I would like to know which parts are disputed.

Well done Man we need more of you here.

Lawyer, thanks for this info. I'm looking at buying a land around LBS/pan african university dat a friend of mine wants to sell to me. I've not been to d land yet. I'll like you to investigate this land for me b4 I go ahead with. I'll need your contact so I can give u d land title documents.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Eyop: 9:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
Lawyer i appreciate your job. However to add to what bfmconcepts asked,i will like to know what will happen if after paying #50,000 for the search fee and after conducting your search and it turns out negative like what happened to this man you mentioned,does it mean the #50k is gone without any achievement?

Because i am considering a situation where by after paying #50k and the 1st search turns out negative and i present another land matter to you,will it still warrant i pay another #50,000?

1 Like

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 13, 2013
Any one that needs to buy a land with his hard earned money should visit the state's lands ministry or agencies responsible for such to make enquiries.

There are also many fraudulent lawyers and estate surveyors/valuers out there, hard to know the authentic ones.

1 Like

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by seyodelola: 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
That's what they called ILE OSA
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by baffylander(m): 9:48pm On Nov 13, 2013
Do people still buy land(s) without authenticating the veracity or otherwise of same especially in a fast-developing city like lagos? ...like seriously ...i give up... A dumb person will always remain a dumb person...
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by snthesis(m): 10:29pm On Nov 13, 2013
lagos na wah o

i'd better buy from BRF directly
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by Edoblakky(m): 10:38pm On Nov 13, 2013
Permit me to share an experience. Over 2 years ago, I contracted a lawyer who seemed vast in land matters to buy a certain land in Osapa London. He charged me 200k to do search and to negotiate the land in my favour. I paid him after buying the land for 10M and found out I'd been hoodwinked. I called the lawyer and demanded for everything I spent. He seemed coorperating and we started recovering my money and he later took off and I've not seen him as we speak. Though it took me over 2 years to recover my money by myself. Now, I know better as I bought another land at Ikate also in Lekki. I used another Lawyer who did a thorough search and filed the search documents for me to see. Pls if you pay a lawyer to do search on a land, ask the lawyer to give you a documented proof

3 Likes

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by igbonla(m): 10:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Buying land in Nigeria is a like walking a minefield especially in the major cities. Even the land purchased from Lagos State govt is not free of troubles!
Best bet is to get a professional, referred by trusted friends and family or go with the big guys whether lawyers, surveyors or reputable property companies. Unfortunately, everything good comes with a big price tag.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by chitoria: 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2013
It is good to carry out search on any land before buying.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by stagger: 12:20am On Nov 14, 2013
herquleez: There is recourse for your Mr one chance. For the mere fact that he contacted professionals (lawyers and surveyors) who went ahead to draft the agreement and the survey plans respectively without doing proper search as required by law, those professionals are culpable.

As professionals we have a duty of care and due diligence and once we fail our clients who have put their trust and faith in us, those clients can sue us o.

@op, you have done well by not involving yourself. Ive been in a situation like that. It's sad though.

This will not stop his house from being demolished.
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by NSTC: 1:00am On Nov 14, 2013
Mr Lawyer indeed most of your post are valuable and does help a lot of people,i personally think it is unfair to bring up this particular matter in the way you did.
Yes you offered your services to the said man but he chose not to employ your services,he hasn't really done anything wrong by that. If i lost 5 million Naira the last thing i want is to read all about it online,especially from a professional that should know all about confidentiality. There are several post in which you have advised people about the dangers of purchasing properties without due diligence and am sure a lot of Nairalanders are grateful for that but it is absolutely unnecessary to score points out of another person's loss ,especially if that person can come across all the " bullets " fired his way. i.e " one chance "

Finally you are a pro. and reserve the right to charge whatever amount you feel your services are worth but it doesn't really cost 50k to verify the status of any land. I wouldn't have mentioned this but for the fact you seem to always give the impression you are out to help people save cost.
As recently as 4 months ago i instructed a Lawyer to conduct a search on 2 properties and he only charged me 20k for both ,though i must say the plots are on the same block. And he specifically told me it will only cost him 3k each at Alausa, he is a friend and knows that won't stop me paying for his services.

This in no way discredit the good work you do by educating people about the intricacies of purchasing Landed properties,all i say is be professional to the core. Salut

12 Likes

Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by lawyer(m): 1:58am On Nov 14, 2013
So many questions here and i will try to answer them 1 by 1

Sunglow: Oga law thanks for this info it is so timely. A friend called me today that he his interested in buying land @ Agabara pls can you help specify any reputable Estate firm to buy from.Thanks,your reply will be highly appreciated.

To be honest sir, i try to refrain from endorsing individual estates except i have done by search personally to recommend and more importantly to keep my independence. I really don't have any one to introduce you to at this moment and i would advise that you take advantage of the numerous agents on Nairaland marketing such products daily to get in touch with.

Cheers
Re: The Hazard Of Buying A Bad Land Without Doing A Proper Search. Finally See Proof by lawyer(m): 2:02am On Nov 14, 2013
bfmconcepts: @Lawyer
pls clarify

Its a fix fee for lands in Lagos and lands outside Lagos attract a higher fee due to the distance. To be honest with regards to Lands in Ogun, we dont go beyond Owode local Government and to an extent Mowe/ Ofada/ Papalanto and Abeokuta. Ogun is 3 times the size of Lagos so its very difficult to cover all those places. We tend to be selective due to the cost of transporting ourselves there and the risks involved. Sometimes it might take 2 or 3 trips and we have to factor our cost of movement, feeding, accommodation if need be and other ancillary things required for the search.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Make Your Request And Budget Known,and I Will Get It For You / How To Qualify For The National Housing Fund Loan And Buy Your First Home / 3-Storey Building Under Construction Collapses In Yaba, Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.