Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student (22154 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Webmoneycccom: 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
yeah
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by victorazy(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
I was amazed wen I was able to produce magnet with wire and was also suprised wen our master told us that "even our local electric poles have magnetic force in between the wires" bcuz of that magnet, Nepa wires can rattle for long wen been shaked.

Mehn I almost caused my village not to hav light cuz I lik stoning high voltage wires jst to enjoy elec wires rattling and sparking grin

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by slap1(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nastydroid: @op na woman you find come NL ni? you ain't even following a single dude......at least if you marry those ones wey u dy follow prostitution go reduce
hhm! Stalker alert!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
LONGFELLOW02: [size=30pt]This Thread is Smellin Shit.. WHO MESS?.

Na NL MOD MESS

All nairaland MOD are nt doin well @all. U guys ban me in biznes section just because i wanna post useful tips 4my guys

#Vex
[/size]
Y d beef
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by crackhaus: 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
john casey: I remember peeing into d bottle for ammonia after i spilled the contents..#ammonia smells like urine y'knw......,.....#picks race#
Wrong!
Ammonia gas smells like rotten egg
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Chrisx1x(m): 5:57pm On Nov 14, 2013
tj-dj:
SUN RISES IN THE EAST AND SET IN THE WEST.....BULLSHIT, SUN NEVER MOVE, ITS JUST THE EARTH THAT ROTATES WHICH GIVES NIGHT AND DAY.....dont blame my teachers then, how could they explain a rotating earth to a boy anyway
similar 2 what my geo teacher also taught me ,sometin like d sun rise frm d east n set in d west.he also taught me that d sun is static,now how cn d sun rise n set witout moving?who is fooling who?all these white men n their white lies
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by mickyarams: 5:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
shits_happen: Teleportation, that matter can dematerialise( break into simple units) and reassemble elsewhere, is a very weird concept. Imagine I can appear where Mukina is right now and give him a dirty slap. lol
Levitation also, particle physics is a big cock and bull story

[b]A team of University of Queensland physicists has transmitted an atom from one location to another inside an electronic chip.
The team, which includes Dr Arkady Fedorov and Dr Matthias Baur from UQ's ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems and the School of Mathematics and Physics, published its findings in Nature this month.
Dr Fedorov said the team had achieved quantum teleportation for the first time, which could lead to larger electronic networks and more functional electronic chips.
"This is a process by which quantum information can be transmitted from one place to another without sending a physical carrier of information," Dr Fedorov said.
"In this process the information just appears at the destination, almost like teleportation used in the famous science fiction series Star Trek."
Dr Fedorov said the key resource of quantum teleportation was a special type of correlation, called entanglement, shared between a sender and a receiver.
"Once entanglement is created, this 'impossible' information transfer becomes in fact possible thanks to laws of quantum mechanics," Dr Fedorov said.
"For the first time, the stunning process of quantum teleportation has now been used in a circuit to relay information from one corner of the sample to the other.
"What makes our work interesting is the system uses a circuit, much like modern computer chips.
"In our system the quantum information is stored in artificial structures called quantum bits, and you can even see them with your bare eyes.
"This is surprising because people typically expect quantum only at atomic scales, not even visible with electronic microscopes.
"This quantum information allows us to do teleportation with impressive speed and accuracy above what has been achievable to date."
"In our Superconducting Quantum Devices laboratory at UQ we are using this technology to further enhance our knowledge about the quantum nature," Dr Fedorov said.
"Eventually this technology will be used to create more powerful devices."
This research indicates that questions relating to the physics of quantum communication can be addressed using electronic circuits at microwave frequencies.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by woky: 5:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
i blv dat if u point any plant wit ur finger, the plant will die!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by johncasey1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
crackhaus:
Wrong!
wrong. Hydrogen sulphide gas and sulphur have the rotten egg smell

5 Likes

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Wallie(m): 6:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hendrixtzee: I remember so well after an integrated science class in my JSS 3 when we were taught that a combination of hydrogen and oxygen ( ratio 2:1) wlld yield water, I just thought that yeah so water bottling companies get 2 'big" chambers of hydrogen and oxygen gases to mix and then Boooooooooommm!!!!!! We've gt water H2O.
Did y'all av any as eager science students??

You're actually not that far off! All you need is energy to combine the hydrogen atoms to the oxygen atoms but the end result will be an explosion and water as hydrogen is highly flammable and oxygen supports combustion.

Bottom line: if you can control the resulting explosion from combining hydrogen and oxygen, you’ll end up with water.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Dominionng(m): 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Was watching a Nollywood movie many years back. Then suddenly, Pete Edochie vanished to later appear @ a different location and I was like... WoW! That red cap man is working under ultrasonic frequency! He jst put the Escape Velocity in play.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by crackhaus: 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Ajibel: I was fascinated with magnetism and so had this wild belief that almost everythin can attract to eachother/ one another... I read that if u rub a plastic ruler on a silk cloth and place it close to ur hair, ur hair stands grin grin
I decided to try lots of combinations cheesy
This is still true you know, except you have to rub really long and hard to generate enough electro-magnetism.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by saved: 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
Evolution. I was busy watching Discovery channel, National Geo hoping to see an intermediate transition of Ape to man. Now i know that the Big Bang theory was & is still a BIG joke.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by ACM10: 6:05pm On Nov 14, 2013
crackhaus:
Wrong!

Wrong!
It's hydrogen sulphide that smells like rotten egg. Ammonia smells like urine.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Jayses(m): 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
crackhaus:
Wrong!
mehn that's an understatement
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by spacechuks(m): 6:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
crackhaus:
Wrong!
Ammonia doesn't smell like rotten egg,it is hydrogen sulphide that smells like rotten egg,Ammonia smells like urine
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Jayses(m): 6:09pm On Nov 14, 2013
woky: i blv dat if u point any plant wit ur finger, the plant will die!
superstition not science

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by LadyH(f): 6:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nastydroid: @op na woman you find come NL ni? you ain't even following a single dude......at least if you marry those ones wey u dy follow prostitution go reduce
oboy u na Aproko Mega ooo!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Hendrixtzee(m): 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
Ajibel: I was fascinated with magnetism and so had this wild belief that almost everythin can attract to eachother/ one another... I read that if u rub a plastic ruler on a silk cloth and place it close to ur hair, ur hair stands grin grin
I decided to try lots of combinations cheesy
looolzzzz..... We practiced somtinn close too, like rubbing plastic combs against other surfaces n trying to attract little pieces of papers # Durin harmattan especially#.... n yeah it wrkd, sumtimz sha
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by LadyH(f): 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
LONGFELLOW02: [size=30pt]This Thread is Smellin Shit.. WHO MESS?.

Na NL MOD MESS

All nairaland MOD are nt doin well @all. U guys ban me in biznes section just because i wanna post useful tips 4my guys

#Vex
[/size]
ldtm!!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by crackhaus: 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
john casey: wrong. Hydrogen sulphide gas and sulphur have the rotten egg smell
The smell of ammonia is too pungent to smell like urine except the one you're talking about is laboratory ammonia, which is not as concentrated as industrial ammonia.

You're right though, hydrogen sulphide does have a characteristic rotten egg smell.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Hendrixtzee(m): 6:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha........ All na science ooo!!! " like charges repel, unlike charges attract"
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by LadyH(f): 6:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
mickyarams:

[b]A team of University of Queensland physicists has transmitted an atom from one location to another inside an electronic chip.
The team, which includes Dr Arkady Fedorov and Dr Matthias Baur from UQ's ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems and the School of Mathematics and Physics, published its findings in Nature this month.
Dr Fedorov said the team had achieved quantum teleportation for the first time, which could lead to larger electronic networks and more functional electronic chips.
"This is a process by which quantum information can be transmitted from one place to another without sending a physical carrier of information," Dr Fedorov said.
"In this process the information just appears at the destination, almost like teleportation used in the famous science fiction series Star Trek."
Dr Fedorov said the key resource of quantum teleportation was a special type of correlation, called entanglement, shared between a sender and a receiver.
"Once entanglement is created, this 'impossible' information transfer becomes in fact possible thanks to laws of quantum mechanics," Dr Fedorov said.
"For the first time, the stunning process of quantum teleportation has now been used in a circuit to relay information from one corner of the sample to the other.
"What makes our work interesting is the system uses a circuit, much like modern computer chips.
"In our system the quantum information is stored in artificial structures called quantum bits, and you can even see them with your bare eyes.
"This is surprising because people typically expect quantum only at atomic scales, not even visible with electronic microscopes.
"This quantum information allows us to do teleportation with impressive speed and accuracy above what has been achievable to date."
"In our Superconducting Quantum Devices laboratory at UQ we are using this technology to further enhance our knowledge about the quantum nature," Dr Fedorov said.
"Eventually this technology will be used to create more powerful devices."
This research indicates that questions relating to the physics of quantum communication can be addressed using electronic circuits at microwave frequencies.[/b]
Oh! Physics my physics!!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Hendrixtzee(m): 6:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lilimax: A lot but can't think out any presently ...
okay, laughing gas "Nitrous Oxide", "N2O",comes to my mind undecided

Thought then that when you inhale the laughing gas, you'll start laughing like a mad person .
Although it gives a euphoric effect when inhaled but not to the level of laughing like a mad person cheesy

I'm better informed now cool.
I thougt same oo!!!!... Well i avnt inhaled it sha
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by crackhaus: 6:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
I used to believe that the only important elements on earth were those between Hydrogen and Calcium in the periodic table... This was until I realized that those were the ones the teacher could teach us to cram grin

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by LadyH(f): 6:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
y did u believe dat? based on what?
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by victorazy(m): 6:33pm On Nov 14, 2013

As for what na? U be native doctor?

3 Likes

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
i tried generating AC voltage from a DC motor found in radio cassette player to power the tv when nepa turns off the power.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 14, 2013
Coming.....
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
Whenever H2(g) combines with CO3, it forms water[H2O] and carbon dioxide [CO2]. I tried it, I got wrong result when I tested for my answer angry
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Hendrixtzee(m): 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2013
Phder: When I was in SS1, I mistakenly drank an acid during quantitative analysis experiment, before that day, I used to believe acid is really sour in taste.

--------------------------------
Don't ask me the taste, because my sense of taste wasn't functioning during the incident.
huuuhhhhh *hides face*... I slightly experienced such, running around looking for reagents durin Chem 171 prat exam (first year) n I mistakenly gt H2SO4 spilled over my left hand in d rush. Well I gt so scared when I saw some skin irritation even after rinsing wt water. Thank God I finished d exam tho, with a nice grade *kneels*
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 6:43pm On Nov 14, 2013
Touching iron metals when there is Thunder and lightning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unexplained Phenomena Happened In Israel Today / I Need Help: Glo Code To Subscribe For Daily Internet Usage / The Solar System And Its Waters And Oceans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.