Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student (22167 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by PhemmyTinny(m): 12:24am On Nov 15, 2013
tj-dj:
SUN RISES IN THE EAST AND SET IN THE WEST.....BULLSHIT, SUN NEVER MOVE, ITS JUST THE EARTH THAT ROTATES WHICH GIVES NIGHT AND DAY.....dont blame my teachers then, how could they explain a rotating earth to a boy anyway
Somthn rising n settin somwhr dosnt necessarily mean it moved! D rotation of d earth mak d sun com up in in d west n settle in d east...I dnt blame ur teachers, I blame u...lol
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by PhemmyTinny(m): 12:31am On Nov 15, 2013
jajad: I believed that children came from a spermatozoon fertilizing an egg. Now I know children come from God.
Som nairalanders sha...its lyk saying plants dnt com frm planting a seed...God created man n installd a mechanism for reproduction! Dats y spermatozoon must fertilize an egg...dude!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 12:34am On Nov 15, 2013
Phder: When I was in SS1, I mistakenly drank an acid during quantitative analysis experiment, before that day, I used to believe acid is really sour in taste.

--------------------------------
Don't ask me the taste, because my sense of taste wasn't functioning during the incident.
common accident, most science students use pippets like straw. The acid or alkaline is usually diluted to the point that you can't taste it.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Solozzo(m): 4:27am On Nov 15, 2013
sekzy99: @op, ar u sayin wen u tried mixin h20 u d nt get water?

You missed the point. Op said he thought that was how water bottling companies got their water.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Solozzo(m): 5:01am On Nov 15, 2013
Oj_redifined.:
Mine was wit rotation of the earth, hw does d earth rotate without gettin us 2 move with it or with makin a slight jerk so we wud b moved one side, lyk a sudden stop in a car dat jerks us forward grin

We do not feel the rotation of the earth because of the fact that there are no nearby objects to pass by like the buildings on the roadside when you are in a car. The nearest objects are the moon, sun, planets and stars. Also our size relative to the earth is too small. It's like an ant on your car's dashboard. Gravity also helps reduce chance of being flung off.

If the earth were to suddenly stop its speed of rotation about 1000km per hour, oops!!! The earth's speed of revolving round the sun is about 66,671 miles per hour. Imagine holding brakes suddenly!!!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Sam32(m): 5:47am On Nov 15, 2013
Wen i believe dat Time travel was possible......

Like couples rewinding to d day dey sed 'I do' grin
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by molydonhenry(m): 6:40am On Nov 15, 2013
Phder: When I was in SS1, I mistakenly drank an acid during quantitative analysis experiment, before that day, I used to believe acid is really sour in taste.

Don't ask me the taste, because my sense of taste wasn't functioning during the incident.
u drank a 92% diluted acid.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 15, 2013
molydonhenry: u drank a 92% diluted acid.
Yes, the acid was diluted, but not up to 92%.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by kingwise20: 7:12am On Nov 15, 2013
guy you stop doing science courses after your junior class so you are ignorance of upadate concernig oxygen and hydrogen oky . science is the power of the world oky.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Groundzero1: 7:17am On Nov 15, 2013
Hendrixtzee: I remember so well after an integrated science class in my JSS 3 when we were taught that a combination of hydrogen and oxygen ( ratio 2:1) wlld yield water, I just thought that yeah so water bottling companies get 2 'big" chambers of hydrogen and oxygen gases to mix and then Boooooooooommm!!!!!! We've gt water H2O.
Did y'all av any as eager science students??
Have you seen a split or window unit air condition? It's the combination of the heat( hydrogen)it gives on the outside and the cooling air(oxygen)it gives on the inside that creates those little drops of water that drips down from its hose. That is H2O
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by haibe(m): 8:29am On Nov 15, 2013
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Ensquare(m): 9:20am On Nov 15, 2013
That there is a massive road contruction netwrk in d sky for aeroplane b4 i came to knw the concept of uptrust
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by losprince(m): 9:37am On Nov 15, 2013
that i can cure anything by pasturization...
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by urchman02: 10:33am On Nov 15, 2013
yea I rememba belivin scientificaly nd biologicaly dat women give birth tru d anus.....later proven it was tru their
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by xtremely9ja: 10:59am On Nov 15, 2013
shits_happen: [/color]

For magnetic systems and materials yes, Buh what about other forms of matter that lack magnetic property? Say a log of wood or piece of slab.

I will recommend you read more about diamagnetisim. Because by nature all material including human are slightly magnetic. The response of our bodies to magnetic fields is billions of times weaker than iron and steel, but in the presence of fields much higher than those of common experience the electrons in every atom in that body or materials can alter their motion and produce a small magnetic field opposing the external field. The resulting magnetic force is not attractive though but repulsive.
This has been used in levitation frog, water and many "supposedly" not magnetic material. Even NASA came out in 2009 that they were able to levitate a mice successfully to study the effect of zero gravity on bones and tissues.

The Radboud University Nijmegen, the Netherlands, has conducted experiments where water and other substances were successfully levitated. Most spectacularly, a live frog was levitated.

In September 2009, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California announced they had successfully levitated mice using a superconducting magnet,[6] an important step forward since mice are closer biologically to humans than frogs.[7] They hope to perform experiments regarding the effects of microgravity on bone and muscle mass.
[i][/i][color=#990000]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Hendrixtzee(m): 11:04am On Nov 15, 2013
Ensquare: That there is a massive road contruction netwrk in d sky for aeroplane b4 i came to knw the concept of uptrust
hahhahhahaha....... E yaff happen to me oo!! Roads in d sky
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nastydroid(m): 11:09am On Nov 15, 2013
Hendrixtzee: hahhahhahaha....... E yaff happen to me oo!! Roads in d sky
i thought there was traffic light in the sky,because i do see alot of airplane hanging up there and they won't move for some minutes or seconds.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Chinoble(f): 11:57am On Nov 15, 2013
While i waz still in jss. I was the class captain so i love reading big big books to show myself na. So one day i jam sometin way pass me. According to d book: the planet earth is in space. And there are big big rocks dat are bigger dan earth in space too. And human being are on earth surface (hmmm not even inside cus dat waz my beleif). So if dose rock in space shld inventually fall, they will destroy everytin on the earth surface. Wow! Dat really gave me sleepless night. I keep looking up jus to knw wen the rock is comin!. angry

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Chinoble(f): 12:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
I ve this question dat none of my teachers were able to answer during my sec schl days.
My qstn: if molten magma z inside earth crust, earth z inside space, then where the hell is space? Wat is covering it? Space is inside ..............?. Up till now i dnt knw d answer. So if u knw it, u can help ur fellow nlder by sharing it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:56pm On Nov 15, 2013
I was oddly obsessed with fire. So I stood under the sun for long periods of time trying to start fires with a shard of glass and piece of paper. Not knowing that I needed to use a magnifying glass which the SS3 lab attendant refused to lend me. I was in SSI undecided
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nastydroid(m): 12:59pm On Nov 15, 2013
Chinoble: I ve this question dat none of my teachers were able to answer during my sec schl days.
My qstn: if molten magma z inside earth crust, earth z inside space, then where the hell is space? Wat is covering it? Space is inside ..............?. Up till now i dnt knw d answer. So if u knw it, u can help ur fellow nlder by sharing it.
what is a space? to me a space is a free vacant space meant to occupy heavenly bodies.we can say that space is the outskirt of every planet ,therefore the location of space is the outskirt of all the heavenly bodies(planets)........i know in my own mind that i just yarn rubbish :-D
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by sunnyprof: 3:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
Did you attempt using Bunsen burner to cook a cup of rice while in the lab without supervision?

Or using microscope to see and pick the different articles in a 'shit'? A yanmma!!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by HeWhoMusntBeNamed(m): 5:41pm On Nov 15, 2013
@cc, y u go dae follow onli women na, na wa ooo!!!!!
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 6:10pm On Nov 15, 2013
If u havent noticed.
Physics:we believe that in d summer d heat is much upon every matter on d earth crust, we knw it causes expansion in some materials.
So me i discovered that during d day when d sun SMILES : many things sags e.g human: bossoms, butts, joystick/testicle-hood n d skin. Expansion things
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by kobenol(m): 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2013

"Base" you meant perhaps...Remember the base is what one draws with mouth through the pipette, acid is measured in the burette.
Else your procedure was unorthodox.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2013
kobenol:
"Base" you meant perhaps...Remember the base is what one draws with mouth through the pipette, acid is measured in the burette.
Else your procedure was unorthodox.
I explained this earlier, our procedure is very much "unorthodox" because we had to obtain reagents using label beakers from our instructor. I used the pippette in the wrong beaker.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by ndidiobietigma: 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2013
In our Geography class, we were made to understand that the earth is spherical in shape. Therefore I believed it to be a very smooth surface ie no ups no downs. But now I know the earth is Geoidal in shape. We only try to approximate it with a sphere for mathematical purposes.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by Chinoble(f): 9:18am On Nov 16, 2013
Nastydroid: what is a space? to me a space is a free vacant space meant to occupy heavenly bodies.we can say that space is the outskirt of every planet ,therefore the location of space is the outskirt of all the heavenly bodies(planets)........i know in my own mind that i just yarn rubbish :-D
haha
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by uzoexcel(m): 6:08pm On Apr 17, 2017
It's happening....wow..it was a research project topic for me years ago.. they v actually progressed

mickyarams:

[b]A team of University of Queensland physicists has transmitted an atom from one location to another inside an electronic chip.
The team, which includes Dr Arkady Fedorov and Dr Matthias Baur from UQ's ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems and the School of Mathematics and Physics, published its findings in Nature this month.
Dr Fedorov said the team had achieved quantum teleportation for the first time, which could lead to larger electronic networks and more functional electronic chips.
"This is a process by which quantum information can be transmitted from one place to another without sending a physical carrier of information," Dr Fedorov said.
"In this process the information just appears at the destination, almost like teleportation used in the famous science fiction series Star Trek."
Dr Fedorov said the key resource of quantum teleportation was a special type of correlation, called entanglement, shared between a sender and a receiver.
"Once entanglement is created, this 'impossible' information transfer becomes in fact possible thanks to laws of quantum mechanics," Dr Fedorov said.
"For the first time, the stunning process of quantum teleportation has now been used in a circuit to relay information from one corner of the sample to the other.
"What makes our work interesting is the system uses a circuit, much like modern computer chips.
"In our system the quantum information is stored in artificial structures called quantum bits, and you can even see them with your bare eyes.
"This is surprising because people typically expect quantum only at atomic scales, not even visible with electronic microscopes.
"This quantum information allows us to do teleportation with impressive speed and accuracy above what has been achievable to date."
"In our Superconducting Quantum Devices laboratory at UQ we are using this technology to further enhance our knowledge about the quantum nature," Dr Fedorov said.
"Eventually this technology will be used to create more powerful devices."
This research indicates that questions relating to the physics of quantum communication can be addressed using electronic circuits at microwave frequencies.[/b]
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by mustnotbenamed: 1:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
Hendrixtzee:
I remember so well after my integrated science class in JSS 3, we were taught that a combination of hydrogen and oxygen (ratio 2:1) will yield water, so I thought that water companies get "2 Big" quantities of hydrogen and "1" oxygen gases then mix and Boooooooooommm!!!!!! We've got water H2O.
well actually that is indeed correct.
Re: Crazy Things You Believed As A Science Student by mustnotbenamed: 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2023
after I learned after planets, I thought the people of old-testament lived in Mercury, the new-testament Venus, then we are currently living on Earth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Is There Sun In The Space And The Space Is Still Very Dark / Unexplained Phenomena Happened In Israel Today / I Need Help: Glo Code To Subscribe For Daily Internet Usage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.