Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,900 members, 7,824,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. (2214 Views)

How To Create Any Type Of Application With J2me Sdk / How Long Does It Really Take To Learn Programming( I Want To Know) / A Java J2me Application Developed By A Nigerian U Need To Have(must) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 15, 2013
Please, my fellow programmers, I wish to congratulate all of you for your respective efforts. Let's always be there for one another, that's the spirit that led India to her current status quo. As we know, Microsoft has BOUGHT Nokia for $7.2b. We also know that Nokia has earlier on bought Symbian. The implication of all these is that Nokia phones will now run windows and .Net languages will take over from Qt, Symbian C++ and Java2ME. We also know that Java2ME ain't suitable for iOS and that even thought it works for Android, it can't access the OS kernel and thus can't handle things like USB ports, messages, vibrator etc. That leaves BB OS as the only hope for the language and now, BB has promised to use ONX on their forth coming tab and that sidelines J2ME. But Android framework is still Java oriented and once downloaded makes eclipse or Android Studio a wonderful IDE for writing Android JAVA with syntax fairely same. anyone that has the android ADT or SDK should please send me.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 15, 2013
I seriously doubt anyone still sticks with J2ME but remember Nigeria is a big market for J2ME Nokia Phones so don't just throw it away. and No Microsoft will not kill Nokia Asha Phones, those phones still sell in developing nations.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2013
Guru, most recent Asha phones now run windows mobile. Sure, I'll keep my knowledge of J2ME but I really need to be at the forefront of my game. Android framework with eclipse is my target. If you know anyone that has it compressed, please have the person send it to my mail above and I'll remain grateful, thanks.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by javadoctor(m): 6:04pm On Nov 15, 2013
I'm sure u wil delete this post and delete yo self wen u read bout CN1, plz and for others ,make a proper research b4 u make a post. Cheers
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 15, 2013
javadoctor: I'm sure u wil delete this post and delete yo self wen u read bout CN1, plz and for others ,make a proper research b4 u make a post. Cheers
CodenameOne the thought of it cringes my body; i have never believed in that code once deploy everywhere and if i did, i'd pick Qt,Xamarin but CN1 Hell no,
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by olyjosh(m): 2:39pm On Nov 16, 2013
CN1 is really the way, the truth to cross platform and native app development. Its better you explore discoveries very well before making post that seems to be confusing to a learner in software market. CN1 rocks on all platform, however a java base development for mobile.
Thanks to Shai Almog, Chen Fishbein and the great codenameone team
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 16, 2013
javadoctor: I'm sure u wil delete this post and delete yo self wen u read bout CN1, plz and for others ,make a proper research b4 u make a post. Cheers

Sometimes when you post here, I wonder if you are a lady or a boy cause I'm sure a fellow man wouldn't talk to me like that. If you don't know any Internet ethiquet, at least, be a bit civilized in your response. We are not in a war zone, no hard feeling.
Talking CN1, it's a bit you are only a learner. Firstly, it's a multi plateform UI tool kit and I've not come here to take giberish about UI. I'm talking of OS kernel access that manipulates the phone's hardware. In that regards, your CN1 is trash! Only good for beginners cause no serious minded programmer uses that. If you know any bit of Computer Science theory of OS, you'd know that there is nothing like "multi plateform" except if you are writing a "hello world program". You create a button once and it fits everywhere and that's your own version of multi plateform? Upgrade. Why not teach me about phone gap too? At least, that would have been better.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 16, 2013
olyjosh: CN1 is really the way, the truth to cross platform and native app development. Its better you explore discoveries very well before making post that seems to be confusing to a learner in software market. CN1 rocks on all platform, however a java base development for mobile.
Thanks to Shai Almog, Chen Fishbein and the great codenameone team

Native vs non-native isn't about a couple of pixels
being off. I'd rather build an app separately for
Android and iOS, making sure to follow the
conventions of each platform. It's not just about the
look of a couple of buttons: apps are structured
differently and they follow different sorts of patterns.
Different platforms might have completely different
feature requirements. You just can't get those kind of
results with an all-in-one toolkit. It's about mediocre
"one size fits all" vs. "perfect for each platform". I don't
settle for mediocre and neither should you.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 16, 2013
@Gozie my point exactly CN1 is mostly UI, Qt has more access to hardware due to its c++ most times Native Api calls are necessary CN1 fits basic apps or crud apps. It sucks big time.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 17, 2013
pc guru: @Gozie my point exactly CN1 is mostly UI, Qt has more access to hardware due to its c++ most times Native Api calls are necessary CN1 fits basic apps or crud apps. It sucks big time.

Thank you so much, I agree with you totally. At least there is someone here that really understands the rudiments of software development unlike those that read a couple of things online only to come here and expose their ignorance.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by olyjosh(m): 3:18pm On Nov 18, 2013
Exposing ignorance u say,

How much more did u read up update?
Have you ever try out CN1?
Have u read or watch any of those nice presentation at java zone 2013 ?
What did you know about pixel and calculating of DPI of different platform?
You really want to go native with your java knowlegde , how about going native on iOS , Did you have the knowledge require to write objective C and use x-code with their native SDK? (I wonder how many of those beautiful applications on appstore that uses those tool provided by apple to develop)
Your post indicate you are coming from j2me, how much more did you know about LWUIT, J2ME POLISH among others.
With your j2me knowledge can you write a total embedded midp application without using any open source?
How much more have u digg up about Java virtual machines?
Like you have gat your J2me portfolio, can u share them?

Mind you, Guys who came up with codenameone have been working as contractor for oracle, writing java virtual machine for mobile for many years(more than 21 years if am not wrong)
@javadoctor has really shown you a great way to do things efficiently, reducing stress and time management.
Programming has gone beyond sitting beside you system but also explore and think out of the box. However, we are not impossibility thinker cos every thing u think off can be actualize. @Gozie, ur case be like a dead man wey dey try show people how to thread a needle. You open this thread claiming you wanted to start android programming, I wonder how far u have gone that u are talking beyond ur experience.
Its better you review and try out advice than just ignoring them base on your thoughts. I wonder when you don turn professor for java
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by jboy01(m): 3:48pm On Nov 18, 2013
Why are most java programmer here running toward android programming?

1 Like

Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by MonsieurCoder: 5:11pm On Nov 18, 2013
Adobe Flex remains the best attempt at cross platform mobile apps and yet it sucked in a way tongue. Stay away from anything cross platform, If you want to build an app, choose a platform and go native, when the app grows you can build for other platforms.

Like i have always said on this forum, There is NO alternative to native. cool

1 Like

Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 19, 2013
olyjosh: Exposing ignorance u say,

You really want to go native with your java knowlegde , how about going native on iOS , Did you have the knowledge require to write objective C and use x-code with their native SDK? (I wonder how many of those beautiful applications on appstore that uses those tool provided by apple to develop)
Your post indicate you are coming from j2me, how much more did you know about LWUIT, J2ME POLISH among others.
With your j2me knowledge can you write a total embedded midp application without using any open source?

Mind you, Guys who came up with codenameone have been working as contractor for oracle, writing java virtual machine for mobile for many years(more than 21 years if am not wrong)
@javadoctor has really shown you a great way to do things efficiently, reducing stress and time management.
Programming has gone beyond sitting beside you system but also explore and think out of the box. However, we are not impossibility thinker cos every thing u think off can be actualize. @Gozie, ur case be like a dead man wey dey try show people how to thread a needle. You open this thread claiming you wanted to start android programming, I wonder how far u have gone that u are talking beyond ur experience.
Its better you review and try out advice than just ignoring them base on your thoughts. I wonder when you don turn professor for java

You've succeeded I'm making noise without addressing any issue at all. Even the worst software tools out there were also developed by professional, remember. Besides, that you particularly can't write for apple without your J2ME does not mean that more serious minded individuals out there can not. Coming here to mention some terms you were thought in school and those you read online isn't the way forward for you. Whether CN1 was developed by Steve or Bill, does it change the fact that it addresses just UI? What exactly is the bases of your argument then? Someone wants to write a program that can control mobile hardware like vibrators, USB ports as well messages and other Operating system kernel for Android and you are asking the person to use J2ME? How reasonable does that sound? Does CN1 give you access to OS kernel? Even the developers of CN1 could testify that it"s not within the scope of their work so what exactly are you rattling about? Why are you so scared of change? I am a J2ME programmer too and I know exactly when to look elsewhere. If you believe that your J2ME can stand a chance against Android Java (a framework dedicated to development for Android OS Kernel) then stick to it but let those that want to be more realistic do the right thing. By the time you will start writing serious apps, you will understand that your CN1 will take you no where other than a write-once-and-distribute UI. And don't come here to rattle like a kid, actually your last message is the funniest I've read in ages. I f you want to argue, if you want to discuss IT, make points, don't just rattle.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Jayclinics(m): 12:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
Gozie Diora: Please, my fellow programmers, I wish to congratulate all of you for your respective efforts. Let's always be there for one another, that's the spirit that led India to her current status quo. As we know, Microsoft has BOUGHT Nokia for $7.2b. We also know that Nokia has earlier on bought Symbian. The implication of all these is that Nokia phones will now run windows and .Net languages will take over from Qt, Symbian C++ and Java2ME. We also know that Java2ME ain't suitable for iOS and that even thought it works for Android, it can't access the OS kernel and thus can't handle things like USB ports, messages, vibrator etc. That leaves BB OS as the only hope for the language and now, BB has promised to use ONX on their forth coming tab and that sidelines J2ME. But Android framework is still Java oriented and once downloaded makes eclipse or Android Studio a wonderful IDE for writing Android JAVA with syntax fairely same. anyone that has the android
ADT or SDK should please send to chiagozieifediora@yahoo.com

check http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

the file size is like 480mb, it has both eclipse ide optimzed for android sdk & system images
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
Jay clinics:

the file size is like 480mb, it has both eclipse ide optimzed for android sdk & system images

Clinics, thanks a lot but I actually know where to find it just that I have problems downloading with my Mobile and I'm currently in the East, far away from my system. So I was thinking a pal could send it to my mail so I could pick it up via BB.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 19, 2013
olyjosh: Exposing ignorance u say,

I was a participant of CodeAcademy held by Nokia at cChub for startups where we were taught Java and J2ME, the only thing that made J2ME bearable for me was the Nokia LWUIT for Asha Phones and i experienced lot of hell with it, even though i came out with a good interface, J2ME is seriously limited by the memory and lot of toolsets available in the Android Phones, even the Nokia Guy said J2ME would be phased out eventually; the only phone i know running J2ME is Asha Phones, I used CodeName,LWUIT but not Polish and Shai was a reference for any issue i faced. My time learning J2ME was Hell, though i won't say it was a waste of time because it helped me with Graphic/Paint api like Processing and Canvas because of LWUIT Low's level UI but seriously CodeNameOne cannot be considered for Multi-platform you will be hindered by what the API has to offer. Qt yeah its complex but QML is relatively understandable and to my knowledge can port to IOS,Android,Blackberry and best part has much more access to the underlying Native API. i can never attempt J2ME (unless the cash is right though) Android is the way especially thanks to Techno or even Windows Phone 8 which is another promising platform too. but i will admit J2ME has its place in Nigeria though so its still relevant

1 Like

Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Jayclinics(m): 12:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
Gozie Diora:

Clinics, thanks a lot but I actually know where to find it just that I have problems downloading with my Mobile and I'm currently in the East, far away from my system. So I was thinking a pal could send it to my mail so I could pick it up via BB.

my data bundle will cripple on a file Of 480mb....sorry
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 19, 2013
jboy01: Why are most java programmer here running toward android programming?
Do your assignment, bro. Google's Android is currently the world's leading OS followed by Apple's iOS, then BlackBerry's OS in that order. And App availability and AppDev friendliness are some of the major strengths of this OS. Now, most OS has their specific languages or in some cases same language but different frameworks. However, for light apps (more interface oriented apps) Jave2ME can be cross platform to some extent but CAN NEVER have much access to low level functionalities as the language/framework specified for that OS and this is where native apps come into play. Sadly, native apps can't run on all OS but the best target, as you might guess, becomes no other OS than the leading Android! In other for J2ME not to be sidelined, some multi-platform tools kits where produced but none could access OS kernel and even for the UI they still suck! If it's not native, it can NEVER be like native. You now see why ambitious programmers are running to Android? Well, the adamant ones are still digging what is left of J2ME like my friend above, lolz.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
pc guru:

I was a participant of CodeAcademy held by Nokia at cChub for startups where we were taught Java and J2ME, the only thing that made J2ME bearable for me was the Nokia LWUIT for Asha Phones and i experienced lot of hell with it, even though i came out with a good interface, J2ME is seriously limited by the memory and lot of toolsets available in the Android Phones, even the Nokia Guy said J2ME would be phased out eventually; the only phone i know running J2ME is Asha Phones, I used CodeName,LWUIT but not Polish and Shai was a reference for any issue i faced. My time learning J2ME was Hell, though i won't say it was a waste of time because it helped me with Graphic/Paint api like Processing and Canvas because of LWUIT Low's level UI but seriously CodeNameOne cannot be considered for Multi-platform you will be hindered by what the API has to offer. Qt yeah its complex but QML is relatively understandable and to my knowledge can port to IOS,Android,Blackberry and best part has much more access to the underlying Native API. i can never attempt J2ME (unless the cash is right though) Android is the way especially thanks to Techno or even Windows Phone 8 which is another promising platform too. but i will admit J2ME has its place in Nigeria though so its still relevant

Thank you very much. Someone also told that J2ME still thrives a bit in developing countries especially for Asha phones. Even if you had disagreed with me, I'd still appreciate your contribution as it's from a wealth of experience and knowledge as well as realistic. Unlike our colleague out there who just rattle either cause he's afraid of change or just wants to show himself .
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2013
Jay clinics:

my data bundle will cripple on a file Of 480mb....sorry

Lolz, yeah, I understand. Thanks, all the same.
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Jayclinics(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
u re welcme
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 19, 2016
Jayclinics:

Hey, thanks once more for this help.

Do you mind doing me the favour of removing my mail address from the quote? I have been receiving a lot mails recently.

Thanks!
Re: Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 19, 2016
lol time flies technology has changed, since we had this argument, J2ME and anything related has been phased out.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Know Where I Can Learn Software Development And Programming / Obtaining and Learning Oracle, Linux and SQL / Where Can One Learn Vb.net Cheap And Fast In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.