Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) (931 Views)

FG To Stop Religious Prayers At Events For 2nd Stanza Nat' Anthem / Today I, Whobethisman, Take A Stand Against Tribalism On NAIRALAND / Picture: Nairaland Campaign Against Tribalism; What About Racism?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by luvablesam(m): 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2013
I decided to come up with such a topic cos I have realised that 70% of the problems we have in Nigeria are caused by the prevalent sectionist idealisms as a result of tribal sentments....most of us never really see ourselves as Nigerians 1st.....we take our cultures as first n spite others who aren't our tongue..

As bad as tribalism is in Nigeria,landlords don't rent their houses out to people from other Tribes....some even first ask u where u are from before they say if the house is vacant or not.

Kanu a man born in d south-west would never be a councillor in such an area cos he is not regarded as one of them. My question is,if he wasn't good enuf to rule in such an area,then y shld he vote in the election in the first place??

In education,quota system rules.if u ain't from a certain area u don't get admission to the school n if u eventually u get admitted u are asked to pay a higher fee as opposed to the supposed "indigene" when its a state Uni. Then y are we Nigerians?

In offices nepotism is first place. Once the head isfrom a certain tribe then he recruits mostly from his region all cos of selfish reasons...

when I hear people saying we shld breakup as a nation,I just laugh it off...What makes anyone with such ideas think tribalism won't ruin it for them again? one might say,my part of "our tribe" is superior to urs n thus we shld get more than u.

Would people not still recruit based on clan or district?

Would people stiill not still prefer their towns man to rule even if they are same tribe when we break?

To me n my likes that I know exist on Nairaland,let's kickout tribalism.....let's join hands to fight it..let's defeat it n let's see after we win if Nigeria wont truly work like we want it to work....

Let's join #team Nigeriansagainsttribalism now
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by ecosanders: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2013
A particular section of the country will never agree with u. Dey see other tribes as their enemy.
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by mensdept: 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2013
^^^^Have you asked them why? Or how una came up with the name Nigeria in the first place
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by luvablesam(m): 6:22pm On Nov 17, 2013
ecosanders: A particular section of the country will never agree with u. Dey see other tribes as their enemy.
I understand u...we see ourselves as enemies....that's y unity is hard
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by aryzgreat: 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
ecosanders: A particular section of the country will never agree with u. Dey see other tribes as their enemy.

Ur comment just exposed u as a tribalist.
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by citizenY(m): 6:39pm On Nov 17, 2013
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by DerideGull(m): 6:41pm On Nov 17, 2013
@OP

If you are not a pathetic joker, then you must be drunk. It is laughable to remotely insinuate that a Yoruba or Igbo or Edo or Hausa should act as if he/she is not Yoruba or Igbo or Edo or Hausa. God is not stupid to have created us not be English. However, the idiotic English wanted to play God by lumping us together in a dungeon called Nigeria, hence Nigerians.

Culture is a natural tendency which gave rise to tribe or ethnicity. There is nothing wrong in the practice of tribalism. It becomes wrong when such practice is detrimental to other ethnic groups. Unfortunately, Nigeria is an example of ethnic bigotry where tribalism in detriment to others has been institutionalized, for example quota system.
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:48pm On Nov 17, 2013
To think that a century ago there was nothing like "nigerians". Now, a colonised nincompoop wants to tell me how to behave. Or force me to love the unlovables.
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by luvablesam(m): 6:56pm On Nov 17, 2013
DerideGull: @OP

If you are not a pathetic joker, then you must be drunk. It is laughable to remotely insinuate that a Yoruba or Igbo or Edo or Hausa should act as if he/she is not Yoruba or Igbo or Edo or Hausa. God is not stupid to have created us not be English. However, the idiotic English wanted to play God by lumping us together in a dungeon called Nigeria, hence Nigerians.

Culture is a natural tendency which gave rise to tribe or ethnicity. There is nothing wrong in the practice of tribalism. It becomes wrong when such practice is detrimental to other ethnic groups. Unfortunately, Nigeria is an example of ethnic bigotry where tribalism in detriment to others has been institutionalized, for example quota system.

I was neither jokin nor drunk when I wrote d piece. I also didn't say or insinuate that u shldnt behave like he is not his tribe...What I insinuate is simple....consider urself a Nigerian first n shun tribalism...dats wat is killing the country...

If the whites decided to lump us together luke u said...we shld av turned family by now....As people we can't choose family...let's learn to live that way...is that too much to ask?
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by luvablesam(m): 7:03pm On Nov 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: To think that a century ago there was nothing like "nigerians". Now, a colonised nincompoop wants to tell me how to behave. Or force me to love the unlovables.
l av decided not answer bigots or name callers on this thread...if u don't like my ideology...read n ignore please
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:20pm On Nov 17, 2013
luvable sam:
l av decided not answer bigots or name callers on this thread...if u don't like my ideology...read n ignore please

If concubine Luggard had decided on Monkeria, today you would be saying "consider urself a Monkerian first n shun tribalism".

I am already an Igboman. I don't need to be anything else.
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by ecosanders: 7:39pm On Nov 17, 2013
aryzgreat:

Ur comment just exposed u as a tribalist.
shatap dia! I lie?
Re: Nigerians Against Tribalism (NAT) by luvablesam(m): 10:27am On Nov 18, 2013
mens dept: ^^^^Have you asked them why? Or how una came up with the name Nigeria in the first place
Why??

(1) (Reply)

. / Tension In Ugborodo As Navy, Youths Invade Delta Community / The Femi Fani Kayode Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.