Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! (40383 Views)

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by rabzy01: 12:01am On Nov 22, 2013
OK, ok AKARA. grin grin grin

Eyop: It's AKARA grin and not Ankara cheesy
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by cardoctor(m): 3:40am On Nov 22, 2013
specco:

Yea guys, I have finally replaced the stolen catalyst and my car is now rocking. I used half as much fuel to and fro work today in the same car that used to 'drink' fuel! The fuel economy is now performing excellently. I went to Ladipo with my mechanic and got it for N15,000 and paid N4,500 for labour. There should have been no need for all these stress if people were honest and less crooked in their deeds. Nevertheless, I am happy.
But pls car gurus, the check light on my dashboard is still on. Do you think there's any more problem and what can make this light to go off?

Scan the car and post the results here pls.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by yusluvboy4real: 9:50pm On Nov 23, 2013
nah wah ooo why always mechanics, but in our workshop my boss no dey allowed those things like selling another peoples properties, we dnt near catalyst coverter, bcuz we knw the functions, but not all mechanic knw this they think that it is just there my dear brothers plzz the first thing u do is that knw the workshop u go repair or maintain your venhincles status, before drive ur motor there for repairance, some even called it indomie when they dnt knw the advantage of being there, am a mechanic am proud of myself. We render our customers the best service.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by JazzyPhizzle: 1:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
@car-doctor et al,

I drive a VW Golf 3 station wagon and the catalyst was removed as at the time I bought it. If I had known, I would have been more careful. The fuel consumption is not that bad but not that great either. I expect that it would be better than what it is right now.

Would it be advisable to replace the catalyst for this car? How much do you think I can get this for? What should I be looking out for?

I need help.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by caesaraba(m): 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
yusluvboy4real: nah wah ooo why always mechanics, but in our workshop my boss no dey allowed those things like selling another peoples properties, we dnt near catalyst coverter, bcuz we knw the functions, but not all mechanic knw this they think that it is just there my dear brothers plzz the first thing u do is that knw the workshop u go repair or maintain your venhincles status, before drive ur motor there for repairance, some even called it indomie when they dnt knw the advantage of being there, am a mechanic am proud of myself. We render our customers the best service.

Keep to such ideals and watch your customers increase in number. What many motorists look for is a mechanic who is trust-worthy. Once they get to trust you and you don't disappoint, na customer for life be that.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by saintjoel(m): 3:46am On Dec 06, 2013
olumide4christ:

Mr. Issyman, is this the sparkling Toyota Camry you bought through Jelad a few weeks ago

Mr Olumide,the catalyst wasn't removed from Mr issa's car.

Most of these cars are pre-owned in America and it's only when you buy brand new cars you can only get a car with no issues whatsoever.At Jelad ventures,we try our possible best to make sure your cars are grade one when you purchase from Cotonou.

The catalyst in his car must have gone bad at a point in time or weak with years of usage in America and we've scheduled an appointment with the car doctor.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by HRHGambino(m): 1:33am On Jan 07, 2014
Nice post @ car-doctor.

Please I got my car scanned and had the following results;

P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

P2716 pressure Control solenoid " D " electrical.

It's a 2007 Toyota Corolla. So far I've not had any issues as regards bad fuel consumption or noisy/smoky exhaust but I'd like an advise on how to fix these OBD errors before getting my car out for a fix.

Also the car vibrates when idling. It reduces a bit when moved into neutral. Having the engine mounts and cat converters inspected tomorrow. Is there a correlation between these issues? Would really appreciate your professional advice on how to get them fixed.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by cardoctor(m): 8:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
eugolanda: Good morning sir, I was actually impressed by professionally and well researched expose. unfortunately u did not leave ur number or contact. please, I actually will need to speak with or better still come to c u since ur in Abuja. u can contact me through any of the following media... 08098864802/ eugolanda@yahoo.co.uk. ... Thanks.

Feel free to call me on 08162907680 or 08122711058.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by cardoctor(m): 10:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
jp philips: @ car doctor;

When i bought my ride from an Agent here in Nigeria, the check engine light came on after a few days, so i used the VIN to track the ride to realize the CAT was removed in the States because it has already failed emission test from the carfax report.

Now, i wanted to replace it, then I connected my OBD2 scanner and drove a full tank twice, did same for my friends car, same model, same year and my fuel consumption was lower than his, till date i still drive around with the MLT light on.

Can you explain this unprecedented phenomenon?

What's the make and model and year of your car and the size of the engine? Automatic transmission or manual?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by KA24DETT(m): 12:45am On Jan 08, 2014
jp philips: @ car doctor;

When i bought my ride from an Agent here in Nigeria, the check engine light came on after a few days, so i used the VIN to track the ride to realize the CAT was removed in the States because it has already failed emission test from the carfax report.

Now, i wanted to replace it, then I connected my OBD2 scanner and drove a full tank twice, did same for my friends car, same model, same year and my fuel consumption was lower than his, till date i still drive around with the MLT light on.

Can you explain this unprecedented phenomenon?

Some cars use different exhaust setup. Nissan of 2000-2007 use 2 catalytic converter. the upstream converter has 2 oxygen sensors before and after the cat. and a 2nd catalytic converter downstream.
Now, u can remove the 2nd catalytic converter and u wouldnt get the MIL or check engine light on. There would be less restirction on the exhaust flow . If you were to remove the upstream catalytic converter and put a straight pipe, then u will get the drone sound and your check engine light will come on.
Am guessing you have 2 catalytic converters in your car with the first one being monitored by the upstream and downstrea oxygen sensors and the 2nd converter with no monitoring. Removing the 2nd catalytic converter reduced back pressure, free flowing exhaust and your increase in gas mileage
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by tolaolu: 10:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
HRHGambino: Nice post @ car-doctor.

Please I got my car scanned and had the following results;

P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

P2716 pressure Control solenoid " D " electrical.

It's a 2007 Toyota Corolla. So far I've not had any issues as regards bad fuel consumption or noisy/smoky exhaust but I'd like an advise on how to fix these OBD errors before getting my car out for a fix.

Also the car vibrates when idling. It reduces a bit when moved into neutral. Having the engine mounts and cat converters inspected tomorrow. Is there a correlation between these issues? Would really appreciate your professional advice on how to get them fixed.
please how did you solve this
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Lancier(m): 7:17am On Aug 27, 2014
Please I need help.

I bought a nigeria used Infiniti QX4 2001 Model close to a year ago with all the check lights showing i.e service engine soon, ABS and 4WD lights all on. I noticed the suv is gulping so much fuel. Took it to a workshop to get it scanned. Before I post the codes of the scan, the car was raised and inspected.

Was told all my catalyst converters have been removed! I think the suv used three or four converters? Not too sure. Would like to know how many the suv uses.

Who can recommend a good mechanic that can follow me to Ladipo to get a replacement and how much will it cost?

Or is it better to buy it from USA. Which option is cheaper?

Also, my A.C. Condenser fan is connected directly to the ignition so if the engine is started, both fans start to work. I'd it true this will increase fuel consumption?

Please advice.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by seangy4konji: 8:43am On Feb 28, 2015
They call it GBEDU...its a bad normal practice but if you dont know you dont know!!!
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by shaddi(m): 8:31pm On Mar 04, 2015
I fell a victim last month, I had to buy a complete exhaust system cry cry cry *dem mama angry * the car was so sounds well, lesson learned.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by dljbd1(m): 10:45am On Mar 16, 2017
This is really insightful.
Wished I saw this post earlier.... cry
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by hysteriabox(m): 7:47pm On Mar 18, 2017
Mine was stolen. I had to hustle 40k to rrplace. I learnt the hard way
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by galaxi(m): 10:30am On Mar 19, 2017
am a victim, my was stolen last month but i replaced it for 30k but the annoying part of the thing is that the panel beater that stole it denied doing that even when its obvious he did.
He intentional slowed down work on my car on a saturday and asked me to come on sunday and pick it up and immedately i drove the car i noticed it had an unusual sound and i called him but he said it was the exust gasket and after changing a new gasket the sound was still there so i told my mechanic who checked and confirmed that the catalyst was gone.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by dljbd1(m): 4:20pm On Mar 23, 2017
This thread is really insightful. Followed through all comment from page 1 to the end.
I wished I had seen this thread before now...though I don't think I am a victim but I will check this weekend. I hope I'm not sha.
I use a Hyundai Sonata '08 and the fuel consumption is not too bad though I think it should be better.
Anyways...will confirm this weekend...
Thanks.
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Goodnews1170(m): 9:58am On Aug 23, 2017
Pls I was told that my catalytic converter has spoiled. Can it be repaired?
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by drealnamdy(m): 9:37pm On Jul 12, 2019
I first learnt about the catalyst on my former 406 car which was replaced with 35k cos it was guzzling fuel..and ever since the replacement..it camw with over heat and different electrical problems ...That car dealt with me..I changed it to Toyota Camry 2000 and enjoyed what it meant to have a car..for 4years...I recently changed changed the Camry now to Toyota matrix and discovered that the catalyst has been removed again..a so pained right now..cos I personally drove that car from Kaduna to zamfara with a silent noise..only to discover that my oil seal is leaking.. I took it my mechanic and he said the engine wld be dropped..I vehemently refused but after persuasion.. I heeded to their plan..after fixing the oil seal..the car engine sound changed..I called the mechanic..he said I shld bring it back..I did..he exclaimed and said ahhh..the indomie no dey.. Right now..as we speak.. He is cooling off at the police net and wld be there for a long time if he doesn't provide my catalyst.. Period!

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by seanfer(m): 10:00pm On Jul 12, 2019
drealnamdy:
I first learnt about the catalyst on my former 406 car which was replaced with 35k cos it was guzzling fuel..and ever since the replacement..it camw with over heat and different electrical problems ...That car dealt with me..I changed it to Toyota Camry 2000 and enjoyed what it meant to have a car..for 4years...I recently changed changed the Camry now to Toyota matrix and discovered that the catalyst has been removed again..a so pained right now..cos I personally drove that car from Kaduna to zamfara with a silent noise..only to discover that my oil seal is leaking.. I took it my mechanic and he said the engine wld be dropped..I vehemently refused but after persuasion.. I heeded to their plan..after fixing the oil seal..the car engine sound changed..I called the mechanic..he said I shld bring it back..I did..he exclaimed and said ahhh..the indomie no dey.. Right now..as we speak.. [/b]He is cooling off at the police net and wld be there for a long time if he doesn't provide my catalyst.. Period!
[b]

I love your decision at the bolded.

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Systrom(m): 11:05pm On Oct 27, 2021
This is really pathetic

The catalyst of my car got removed too

Now I don’t know who did it
Whether my mechanic, panel beater or car wash
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Badadvisor: 12:46am On Oct 18, 2022
Mine got removed also damn.
Car i newly bought this useless man took out my catalyst damn and this clown is still lying cry
Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by Angrygoat: 10:26am On Oct 18, 2022
I can help u guys get brand new catalyst metals with up to 400 cells. Don't get fooled by getting fabricated metals. I can get for u,its 90k , universal 2 way catalyst metals. Brand new.

Re: Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! by bizzlemie(m): 6:13pm On Feb 24, 2023
I sold one this afternoon, its good business grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Car Made Of Wood Spotted In Bida Niger State (photo) / All-new 2019 Toyota Rav4 Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) / SUV Climbs Over Another Car In Accident On Oshodi-apapa Road (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.