Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,808 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? (24602 Views)

Photo:which Would You Pick, The Car Or The Model? / Photos: Would You Drive This Car Or Sell It If It Was Given To You? / Quiz: Which Is Faster On Autox, A Modern Porsche Sports Car Or A Shifter Gokart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
ZIM DRILL: there is the little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avbk42I9QAI&feature=youtu.be
thumbs up bro! That's a job well done
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
FlyinNaija: We Nigerian men are some of the laziest men on the planet. We never use our hands except when eating and touching women cheesy. There are a lot of men that haven't even changed a light build in decades. I pay someone to wash my car but once in a while I like to wash the car so I can take a general look at the condition of the car. And when I do most of the neighbours look at me like something is wrong I.e. "Why is someone of ur calibre washing his own car?"
The reality is that most car owners will do a better job maintaining their cars than most of these roadside mechanics.
I bought my car new and have had it maintained by professional mechanics. So there isn't much work to do but I will soon attempt to tune up the car.
My car DIY history is limited but my home DIY list is much more extensive

Same here..

Bought my car brand new, it has never been serviced by roadside mechanics.. I don't even open the hood for anything. All I do is watch my odometer. Once I hit 5000km milestone, I service it.

Nna no be big boy matter, I just don't have the energy sef.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by baba11(m): 9:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
i believe i can do anything humanly possible!!!
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Burger01(m): 9:52pm On Nov 22, 2013
When I bought my jeep it came with the thermostat removed and the temp sensor bridged. I noticed the fans switched on the instant I start the engine.

DIY: I read through my car manual and decided to refix the wrong connections.
Got a new thermostat and had it fixed myself. it was one hell of a job but was glad I did it myself. Also unbridged the thermostat after reading the codes with car doctor android app connected to a particular car diagnostic Bluetooth .

Now, my car runs well and the fans come up only when the engine is hot and when my AC is on.

5 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by redcliff: 10:04pm On Nov 22, 2013
Okija_juju:

Same here..

Bought my car brand new, it has never been serviced by roadside mechanics.. I don't even open the hood for anything. All I do is watch my odometer. Once I hit 5000km milestone, I service it.

5k? I think I service mine every 1k5 or less sef. I just drive it and every 2months, i change whatever changeables. I just get compliments that the thing is really sound engine and body wwise but they dont know what this man does everytime to take care of the car.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Ishilove: 2:48am On Nov 23, 2013
Okija_juju:

Same here..

For ya mind grin
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Ishilove: 2:57am On Nov 23, 2013
Nope, never done it. Infact, the only thing I know how to do in that vehicle is fill up the radiator with water. Besides, the car don taya me. It is one repair today, another tomorrow. The last one happened recently. After I left the mech's around 10pm, it behaved itself until I was close to home. The next thing I know, the engine stalled. When I restarted it, the vehicle couldn't go forward. Each time I hit the accelerator, the car moved backward. I had to call the mech and he came all the way from itire to undo whatever rubbish he had done to the car. I ended up reaching the home by 2.00am cry

Last week, the gear box collapsed and now I have to vomit 70k for another one. sad

In short I'm going to sell it and go back to flying bike abeg angry

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Ishilove: 3:02am On Nov 23, 2013
Piyke: Hello everyone,

This tread is for car DIY enthusiasts to share their DIY history or list planned ones. I guess (Siena's will fill the whole Nairaland cheesy)

Here a list of my past DIYs (on 2003 Accord 4cyl, LX, US spec)
1. Fuel pump assembly change (2011)
2. Oil and filter changes (Every 3 months)
3. Power steering o-ring change( this was to fix a whine that occurs each time the car was cold) 2011
4. Serpentine belt replacement. (2013)
5. Transmission fluid replacement (2013)
6. Throttle body cleaning (As needed)
7. Replacement of AC relay (2011)

Planned DIYs
1. Replacement of Automatic tensioner
2. Power Steering rebuild (replacement of seals. Current one leaks from one of the seals)
3. Coolant flush.

As you list yours remember to state the vehicle and trim. You never know you may solve a fellow Nairalander's problem.
And here is my list (on Rav4 1999 model)
1. Changed the water in the radiator
2. Changed the water in the radiator
3. Buy fuel
4. Hit the spark plug with spanner.
5.Changed the water in the radiator

Pretty cool, huh? I'm too mush cool cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Ishilove: 3:08am On Nov 23, 2013
FlyinNaija: We Nigerian men are some of the laziest men on the planet. We never use our hands except when eating and touching women cheesy. There are a lot of men that haven't even changed a light build in decades. I pay someone to wash my car but once in a while I like to wash the car so I can take a general look at the condition of the car. And when I do most of the neighbours look at me like something is wrong I.e. "Why is someone of ur calibre washing his own car?"
The reality is that most car owners will do a better job maintaining their cars than most of these roadside mechanics.
I bought my car new and have had it maintained by professional mechanics. So there isn't much work to do but I will soon attempt to tune up the car.
You got that right grin
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by uboma(m): 6:15am On Nov 23, 2013
Okija_juju:

Same here..

You better learn to open the hood from time to time and check around. You never can tell, a stitch in time...

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Whynow(m): 9:40am On Nov 23, 2013
Imported and replaced my srs module or air bag computer in my honda pilot, after a flood journey at Victoria Island.
Cleared dtc and relearn it with my honda diagnostic software
Installed 4 new tpms sensors on my rim with the help of a vulcanaizer

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by folahann(m): 9:58am On Nov 23, 2013
How do you guys learn these things? Out seems impossible to do most of these if you're not a mechanic.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by amosfunmi(m): 2:17pm On Nov 23, 2013
Thank God for google, youtube and the pro in the house: Ikenna, car-Doctor, sultan and others.
bought my mazda 626 about 14 month ago, the motor dealer ask me to remove the thermostart to avert over heating of the engine, I refused it, two day later I observe the temprature guage rising above the mid point. went to one of the auto technician and the fans were bridge two fans start on ignitin on) and thermoswitch wire disconnected.
During this period I used average of ten to 11ltrs of fuel to ibadan with AC on. From this forum I got to know that it was wrong to do that.
- With the help of video from google i was able to put the thermoswitch connection in ordersad2nd fan on only while AC is on).
Having done that i went to Ibadan and I only used about 7.5-8liter to ibadan even with the AC, was very happy about it.
- I change oil and filter last week myself.
- I have replaced the rear brake pads.
- I have changed the sway bar likage(driver side).
- Adjust the idle speed
- Plan to change the front brake pads next month.

Give it a try, you could do better than that mechanic of yours. However ensure you know what you want to do before you start or else your mechanic will laugh you when you get stucked and still go to call him.

4 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by poccahunter(f): 2:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
I changed my front lights myself! I wash my car myself, once in a while I take it to car wash.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by BluStreak(m): 2:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ah! I have always been a DIY fan. Just that lately I am getting lazy due to too many things on a brothers hand. And did I pay dearly for it? Yes unfortunately. I had to change a whole engine I6 E320 American Version just because my transmission compensator oil seal gave way and the engine started sucking oil into the manifold and caused the car to smoke, mechanics claimed the engine has packed up and suggested a complete engine change due to the lack of original piston rings and other repair accessories. After the engine change the smoke continued they then discovered a certain hose is sucking up the transmission fluid into the engine and decided to block it. The result was a troubled gear shift and slips.

I eventually consulted oga google and it led me to an MB forum where I discovered the problem that cost me over a 100K was just as a result of the transmission modulator that would have been replaced with less than N30k with labour or a lot less with DIY.

Lesson learnt. Any issue now or in the future will go thus: Google > DIY before consulting a mechanic.

I recall January this year on my way returning to Lagos after the Xmas holidays, the oil change light on my 07 EOD came on. I panicked! I got a safe placed parked, checked the oil level and texture, after ascertaining they were ok, I continued my journey. Returning here, I had an oil change and the mechs couldn't get the light to go off. They said I will have to take it for a computer reset. I googled and bingo, I found the solution: turn ignition on, hold down this button, press that button and press that other button and capish! It was done. I cleared the oil change warning.

So my peeps DIY first o seriously.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by row2ray(m): 12:07am On Nov 24, 2013
Change head lamps- acura 3.5rl
Changed rear brake pads-acura 3.5rl
Changed front brake pads - acura 3.5rl
Changed engine oil and filter-acura 3.5rl
Changed transmission oil- acura 3.5rl
Changed fuel pump -acura 3.5r.l
Changed oil -pathfinder
Changed brake lining-pathfinder
Changed brake pads-pathfinder
Patched radiator leak-pathfinder
Fixed imobiliser problem- acura 3.5rl
Plan on tracing problem with current not reaching spark plugs on the acura,
Plan on playing with the wiring on the pathfinder and servicing xterra engine and changing brake pads and lining on xterra oh and I changed the master brake and savo in the pathfinder
Mounted my smart tv and dvd wall stand, also took my friend's gen apart ( that didn't end well) then I've also changed the ball joints on the acura r.l..fixed my washing machine, and a wire that kept short circuiting in my house... And the best part....... I'm. Nigerian.. And I love using my hands

3 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:01pm On Nov 24, 2013
uboma:

You better learn to open the hood from time to time and check around. You never can tell, a stitch in time...

I bought my car brand new in 2011.

It's been serviced ever since by Stallion Motors. The terms of the warranty says every 5000kms. Every time it goes in, they have a checklist of things that they must change like oil, filters, e.t.c. Then they run diagnostics on it to tell me what will need to be replaced in terms of major parts like brake pads, bearings, etc.

The only times that my car has ever disappointed me, it had to do with replacing my batteries. I see no reason to look under the hood except I'm at a car wash and need to wash my engines.

And what's the point of looking under the hood sef, I wouldn't even know what to touch. I tried changing the bulb of my fog lamps one time and couldn't even see how to reach it, let alone change it.

Around the house, I do a lot of things myself, but with my car, I leave it to the professionals.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 5:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
BluStreak: Ah! I have always been a DIY fan. Just that lately I am getting lazy due to too many things on a brothers hand. And did I pay dearly for it? Yes unfortunately. I had to change a whole engine I6 E320 American Version just because my transmission compensator oil seal gave way and the engine started sucking oil into the manifold and caused the car to smoke, mechanics claimed the engine has packed up and suggested a complete engine change due to the lack of original piston rings and other repair accessories. After the engine change the smoke continued they then discovered a certain hose is sucking up the transmission fluid into the engine and decided to block it. The result was a troubled gear shift and slips.

I eventually consulted oga google and it led me to an MB forum where I discovered the problem that cost me over a 100K was just as a result of the transmission modulator that would have been replaced with less than N30k with labour or a lot less with DIY.

Lesson learnt. Any issue now or in the future will go thus: Google > DIY before consulting a mechanic.

I recall January this year on my way returning to Lagos after the Xmas holidays, the oil change light on my 07 EOD came on. I panicked! I got a safe placed parked, checked the oil level and texture, after ascertaining they were ok, I continued my journey. Returning here, I had an oil change and the mechs couldn't get the light to go off. They said I will have to take it for a computer reset. I googled and bingo, I found the solution: turn ignition on, hold down this button, press that button and press that other button and capish! It was done. I cleared the oil change warning.

So my peeps DIY first o seriously.

I concur, 100%. It's amazing what our mechanics claim to know sometimes. And there's nothing more annoying like trying to guide a mechanic on a repair and he's like...You can't teach me my job
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 2:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
This Saturday I was able to pick up the rest of my items for my upcoming DIY (Coolant flush and Power Steering rebuild). Here are some pics

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by chukel(m): 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
Burger01: When I bought my jeep it came with the thermostat removed and the temp sensor bridged. I noticed the fans switched on the instant I start the engine.

DIY: I read through my car manual and decided to refix the wrong connections.
Got a new thermostat and had it fixed myself. it was one hell of a job but was glad I did it myself. Also unbridged the thermostat after reading the codes with car doctor android app connected to a particular car diagnostic Bluetooth .

Now, my car runs well and the fans come up only when the engine is hot and when my AC is on.
pls give us a step by step procedure on how u fixed it urself. wat brand of jeep is dat
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by djaybaba: 6:38pm On Nov 25, 2013
Piyke: This Saturday I was able to pick up the rest of my items for my upcoming DIY (Coolant flush and Power Steering rebuild). Here are some pics
@Piyke. Pls where did u order it from n how much did it cost you. Im I'm interested in getting same.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by earthrealm(m): 8:05pm On Nov 25, 2013
FlyinNaija: We Nigerian men are some of the laziest men on the planet[size=28pt]. We never use our hands except when eating and touching women[/size] cheesy. There are a lot of men that haven't even changed a light build in decades. I pay someone to wash my car but once in a while I like to wash the car so I can take a general look at the condition of the car. And when I do most of the neighbours look at me like something is wrong I.e. "Why is someone of ur calibre washing his own car?"

now that got me lolling hard!..na waoh.......try go some west African countries u go realize say naija men are hardworking...anyways..i fuess ur statement refers to car diy...if so am behind u 200 %
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by sultaan(m): 11:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have a leak on the radiator of the jeep, been there for a while just getting more drips on the ground then replace the driver side tie rod end

Will definitely post pics, trans service too
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by sultaan(m): 11:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
Piyke: This Saturday I was able to pick up the rest of my items for my upcoming DIY (Coolant flush and Power Steering rebuild). Here are some pics

You kn ow you don't have to spend big money at the dealership if you buy other brands with the right specification.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 7:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
djaybaba:
@Piyke. Pls where did u order it from n how much did it cost you. Im I'm interested in getting same.

I got them from the UK, but got it into Naija on "free ride" so can't actually give the market price for ordering them into Naija
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 7:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
sultaan:

You kn ow you don't have to spend big money at the dealership if you buy other brands with the right specification.

Like which brands, where and at what price? I went high and low looking for these fluids in Owerri, Enugu and even a few Lagos contacts. I also contacted Luvinhubby, but that didn't work out too.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:25am On Nov 27, 2013
Installed headrest dvd players today, left with hooking the power to them and thinking twice whether to hook the audio output to radio at the front. Will get my power from the radio connection let my positive run under need the carpet and pop out from under the two front seat and then connection to players from there
Pictures will follow soon
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Burger01(m): 6:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
chukel:
pls give us a step by step procedure on how u fixed it urself. wat brand of jeep is dat
It's a Mazda Tribute '01.

I had to remove all the bolts holding the thermostat housing plus removing the water hose. the thermostat was fixed at angle equivalent to 12 o'clock as instructed in the service manual..
Then I ran a scan which pointed to a bridged thermostat switch. I located the switch and unbridge. Naija dealers and mechanics na headache. initially my jeep was guzzling fuel like I have a fuel rig in my yard. I was sad until I fixed the problems. now my car runs fine and more fuel efficient..
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
finished installing headrest dvd players there are independant from the fron dvd player and both can plays independantly

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:12pm On Nov 28, 2013
with tints at the back you can the dvd player and also the player can be zip up like in the second picture

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 4:42pm On Dec 02, 2013
Just completed a coolant drain, flush and refill yesterday. Should be posting it on a new thread shortly
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by ibro360(m): 11:57am On Dec 09, 2013
pls how do i rebuild power steering pump as i plan on doing such for my golf 3.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Iceland Tests ‘floating’ Zebra Crossing To Slow Down Speeding Drivers / These Are 10 Of The Most Expensive Car Parts To Repair & Replace / 11 Car Myths You Should Stop Believing Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.