Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,320 members, 7,957,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:08 PM

What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? (25016 Views)

Photo:which Would You Pick, The Car Or The Model? / Photos: Would You Drive This Car Or Sell It If It Was Given To You? / Quiz: Which Is Faster On Autox, A Modern Porsche Sports Car Or A Shifter Gokart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2017
So I swapped my halogen interior lights to LED lights.
It's so nice, good ambience and its even brighter. Best of all I got them for N250 each!

1st pic is when I slapped in the LED light for the door lights with the halogen still (in front)

2nd pic install complete

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by krisrock(m): 6:18pm On Feb 08, 2017
RazaqMB:
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32592860012.html
Try this. I most times read reviews before picking items
Please can I get your number or email so we can talk better being that you have done the same before. Don't want to make any mistakes Thanks
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by mexxy1(m): 10:29pm On Aug 23, 2017
My vehicle ('04 Honda Pilot) has always had the 'check engine ' symbol and 'VTM-4 LOCK' always illuminated whenever I started the vehicle and drove.

Well, I got a new EGR valve and new PCV valve and installed them about two (2) weeks ago. First, the VTM-4 lock went off and after about one week of driving, the 'check engine ' symbol cleared on its own.

Now, I don't have any lights illuminating on my dash apart from the one showing which gear I'm on.

I didn't take before and after pictures as job was done in the night as soon as I got home with the parts due to busy schedule this period. However, I noticed old PCV valve was blocked.

I took pictures of the old and new EGR valves though before installing the new one.

And a picture of my dashboard now... No lights

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 6:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
mexxy1:
My vehicle ('04 Honda Pilot) has always had the 'check engine ' symbol and 'VTM-4 LOCK' always illuminated whenever I started the vehicle and drove.

Well, I got a new EGR valve and new PCV valve and installed them about two (2) weeks ago. First, the VTM-4 lock went off and after about one week of driving, the 'check engine ' symbol cleared on its own.

Now, I don't have any lights illuminating on my dash apart from the one showing which gear I'm on.

I didn't take before and after pictures as job was done in the night as soon as I got home with the parts due to busy schedule this period. However, I noticed old PCV valve was blocked.

I took pictures of the old and new EGR valves though before installing the new one.

And a picture of my dashboard now... No lights

More power to your elbow!

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 6:47pm On Jan 21, 2018
I just changed both front and rear engine mounts on my EOD.
Both were broken and my engine had started to move much if I engage the transmission.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by mexxy1(m): 7:10pm On Jan 21, 2018
Piyke:

More power to your elbow!

Thanks. Already changed caliper pins and the rubber part (don't know the name) housing them on front and rear calipers.

I'll do more preventive maintenance as time goes on.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 7:21pm On Jan 21, 2018
mexxy1:

Thanks. Already changed caliper pins and the rubber part (don't know the name) housing them on front and rear calipers.

I'll do more preventive maintenance as time goes on.

I think they are just called rubber boots. Preventive maintenance is king!

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by AvailableCofOLa(m): 5:12am On Jan 22, 2018
Na to fix the radiator and few rewiring myself o. Then I wash the car by myself wink

Piyke:
Hello everyone,

This tread is for car DIY enthusiasts to share their DIY history or list planned ones. I guess (Siena's will fill the whole Nairaland cheesy)

Here a list of my past DIYs (on 2003 Accord 4cyl, LX, US spec)
1. Fuel pump assembly change (2011)
2. Oil and filter changes (Every 3 months)
3. Power steering o-ring change( this was to fix a whine that occurs each time the car was cold) 2011
4. Serpentine belt replacement. (2013)
5. Transmission fluid replacement (2013)
6. Throttle body cleaning (As needed)
7. Replacement of AC relay (2011)

Planned DIYs
1. Replacement of Automatic tensioner
2. Power Steering rebuild (replacement of seals. Current one leaks from one of the seals)
3. Coolant flush.

As you list yours remember to state the vehicle and trim. You never know you may solve a fellow Nairalander's problem.
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 5:11pm On Jul 22, 2018
Rebuilt my rear brakes yesterday; shoes, drum, all return springs, wheel cylinder(both had minor leaks), self-adjuster, retaining clips were all replaced.

Actually my attention was called to my rear breaks when I went in for my road worthiness test. The left side was said to be 60% less efficient than the right. Of course I failed the road worthiness test!

Should do a blog post once I'm done fixing the highlighted issues and get a pass.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 22, 2018
Piyke:
Rebuilt my rear brakes yesterday; shoes, drum, all return springs, wheel cylinder(both had minor leaks), self-adjuster, retaining clips were all replaced.

Actually my attention was called to my rear breaks when I went in for my road worthiness test. The left side was said to be 60% less efficient than the right. Of course I failed the road worthiness test!

Should do a blog post once I'm done fixing the highlighted issues and get a pass.
Wonderful job done sir. We shall be waiting for your blog posts.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 22, 2018
Piyke:

This picture just warms the cockles of my heart. I just love shiny new bits.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2018
dumo1:

Thanks!
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This picture just warms the cockles of my heart. I just love shiny new bits.

I always delight at adding new life in the form of parts. In fact it's relaxing for me working on cars. Maybe I should become a mechanic sad

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2018
Piyke:

I always delight at adding new life in the form of parts. In fact it's relaxing for me working on cars. Maybe I should become a mechanic sad

This is how it starts. When you love your work then it won’t be work and you’ll get paid for it.

Select an area of expertise.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 9:34pm On Aug 09, 2018
dumo1:

I have published! It's all here; how I went from a failed VIO road worthiness test to a fat pass

https://www.diyautoworksng.com/parking-brake-will-not-engage-left-rear-drum-brake-fixed/

For those that have only one of your rear drum brakes engaging, this may be of help

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 09, 2018
Piyke:

I have published! It's all here; how I went from a failed VIO road worthiness test to a fat pass

https://www.diyautoworksng.com/parking-brake-will-not-engage-left-rear-drum-brake-fixed/

For those that have only one of your rear drum brakes engaging, this may be of help
Rushing like flash to go and read it.. grin
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 10:59pm On Feb 27, 2019
Piyke:

Will be redoing the drum brakes. This chinko shoe brake is too noisy for my liking and the pin (on the brake) supposed to hold the adjuster lever is smaller than OEM. As a result, the parking does not auto adjust.
Glad I got this Bosch part

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 12:34am On Feb 28, 2019
Next up is water pump replacement!

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 11:59pm On Mar 23, 2019
Piyke:
Next up is water pump replacement!
Hope you got a sealant with this?

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 9:05am On Mar 24, 2019
erico2k2:

Hope you got a sealant with this?

Yep. Used the Hondabond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fGJfgfpUnc
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 10:15am On Mar 27, 2019
Piyke:

Yep. Used the Hondabond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fGJfgfpUnc
Correct did this job with an E46, I regretted not putting enough sealant, well them days I was naive though ahah
Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by davessales039(m): 5:15am On Apr 23, 2022
Preping for a shift cable oil seal change later today.
Vehicle -- EOD

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by erico2k2(m): 7:26pm On Apr 25, 2022
davessales039:
Preping for a shift cable oil seal change later today.
Vehicle -- EOD
cool stuff, plz take full pic and share

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by davessales039(m): 9:06am On Apr 28, 2022
erico2k2:

cool stuff, plz take full pic and share

Sure, I opened up the area to assess the condition and to be sure that was the only leak source and not a crack. It was. I took pics too.

Eventually, I didn't replace the seal though; for two reasons:
1. Couldn't get a new replacement yet, (locally)
2. Couldn't yet seperate the shift cable from internal control lever. The diagram shows there's a pin that holds it in, but in reality it seems Honda settled for a more permanent method of holding it in.

So I decided to abort the mission and restrategize; with pictures in hand.

Maybe you and Piyke could lend me some ideas, please??

In pic one, you can see the slow leak. (cleaned off in pic 2).
In both pics, green arrows point to the seal I'm hoping to replace and red arrow/circle show the parts I couldn't seperate.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by davessales039(m): 9:39am On Apr 28, 2022
Sorry I couldn't take better pictures; I was working underneath the car using jack stands only. No lift, so...

However, here are some earlier pics...

Pic 1 -- shows the leak
Pic 2 -- shows the shift cable cover that I had to take off.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by davessales039(m): 7:07pm On May 17, 2022
Update.

Ok. So I eventually did this job.
Got the seal locally; wasn't packaged (probably toks or chinco, I don't know) but it looked solid and was in good shape.

Drained ATF and opened shift cable cover (pic in previous post above). I didn't bother with the link circled red (above) anymore.
I simply removed the 10mm bolt holding the entire attachment to the shift shaft. (better)

Next, I removed the oil seal. This was actually tough; the seal held on solid. Eventually, it came off.
Pic 1 below == before seal removal. You can see the rubber lip of the oil seal (touching the shaft) is obviously weak.
Pic 2 below == after seal removal. No body damage.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by davessales039(m): 7:16pm On May 17, 2022
Replacement oil seal was installed, using a cut-to-size PVC pipe of similar diameter to press it in.
Unfortunately, I couldn't do much cleaning because of the tight position I was working from.
ATF was poured into transmission.
No leak after 24 hours. Will continue to observe it over the next few weeks.

Pics below show the replacement seal after installation.

2 Likes

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Piyke: 8:10pm On May 19, 2022
davessales039:
Replacement oil seal was installed, using a cut-to-size PVC pipe of similar diameter to press it in.
Unfortunately, I couldn't do much cleaning because of the tight position I was working from.
ATF was poured into transmission.
No leak after 24 hours. Will continue to observe it over the next few weeks.

Pics below show the replacement seal after installation.

Looking good. Glad you decided to bite the bullet cool
Thanks for updating too.

1 Like

Re: What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? by Kinslite(m): 10:06am On May 20, 2022
Driver available for weekly remittance(30k). Am not a newbie, I have an existing bolt account. If you are a car owner in need of a driver, am just a call away. Kindly help out please.

Whatsapp/call: 09060208152

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Air Suspension Problem Solved Permanently / BMW 7 Series Facelift: Everything You Need To Know / N90million Koenigsegg Regera’s Key Is The Most Expensive Car Key In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.