Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,205 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone (36400 Views)

20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Destroy Recharge Cards After Use.. / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by bong4(m): 7:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
henrychubayo: Sometimes, when u have a first hand experience of armed robbery attack, you won't feel pity for these guy.

I still remember my good friend Ejike. He was working but didn't get paid on time. So he decide to use Okada to make small money for evening food. He was called by one lady selling recharge card to take her home. The were attacked and this guys shot Ejike twice in his heart. He died. So sad.

If this boy is armed with gun, he can do anything to get his way. So my brothers, sometimes, don't feel pity for this guys if you don't know the real story. If he acted things prescribe by death penalty in the law, he should face it. But for me, let it be reduced to life atlest.
so on point my brother. We should not be carried away by emotions here whether the boy is a somebody or nobody. The fact remains he had a gun-toy or not, he had the tendency to kill. What we should be crying out for is s total overhaul of the criminal system to include all form of corruption including pen robbery, fake drugs, pension fraud, election rigging etc. What is good for the geese is good for the gander.

1 Like

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by cutebobo(m): 7:26pm On Nov 20, 2013
Please how will he judge 'Attempted Murder'
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
Magic Bishop: There is a big difference between Armed Robbery and plain Robbery and I am the sure the original charge was for armed robbery a crime that is punishable by death. The daft Journalist wanted to created unnecessary headlines by omitting the initial charge.

In my opinion he deserved the sentence he got.

And No this does not warrant front page.
he deserves the sentence he got? do you have a heart?
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by eminikansoso(m): 7:31pm On Nov 20, 2013
Magic Bishop: There is a big difference between Armed Robbery and plain Robbery and I am the sure the original charge was for armed robbery a crime that is punishable by death. The daft Journalist wanted to created unnecessary headlines by omitting the initial charge.

In my opinion he deserved the sentence he got.

And No this does not warrant front page.

What about our governors, ministers, senators & honourable members of house that carried billions of naira that belong to everyone of us
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by obyrich(m): 7:32pm On Nov 20, 2013
Amefrica: This is gonna serve as a lesson for others. Good Riddance! undecided
The way Bode George's sentence is deterring politicians from looting?
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by vislabraye(m): 7:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
He should be punished but I don't think death sentence is the best cos no life was lost and there was no use of real weapons.

1 Like

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by eminikansoso(m): 7:35pm On Nov 20, 2013
bong4:
so on point my brother. We should not be carried away by emotions here whether the boy is a somebody or nobody. The fact remains he had a gun-toy or not, he had the tendency to kill. What we should be crying out for is s total overhaul of the criminal system to include all form of corruption including pen robbery, fake drugs, pension fraud, election rigging etc. What is good for the geese is good for the gander.
I will tell Anty Stella O
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by olaglobalj: 7:40pm On Nov 20, 2013
babanne: Do you actually know what the law says as to the penalty of armed robbery?
what's d penalty, mr. judge? stealing recharge cards and phones should warrant a death penalty.
that man needs a "lobotomy" abeg cry
babanne: Do you actually know what the law says as to the penalty of armed robbery?
what's d penalty, mr. judge? stealing recharge cards and phones should warrant a death penalty.
that man needs a "lobotomy" abeg
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by olaglobalj: 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2013
njokusboy:

Shut up mr man.. The death penalty is hardly given to murderers this days, let alone armed robbers
This is injustice and abuse of power...

thank u bro, dnt mind this slowpoke. that's nt justice, it's murder of d highest order.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by faamo419: 7:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
This nija self oga oooooo...
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Ijobaorun(m): 7:45pm On Nov 20, 2013
kel4soft: Please this should be sent to FP to discuss exhaustively. That judge needs a brain surgery.
if there is anything more dan brain surgery for him, they shld do it quick quick.
I think the judge will be in best position to handle Lamido's sons case.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Topsy42(f): 7:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
[quote
author=taharqa] What kind of USELESS law is that?? Apart from the fact
that ONLY premediated murder should attract d Death penalty in my view,
were you not alive when a former LGA boss got 6months for stealing
around #1.5million? Now, a 'nobody' steals Recharge cards and he is
sentenced to Death by hanging!!! Does that seem remotely fair to you?
Cud there be a much greater INJUSTICE perpetuated by d Courts ('Temple
of Justice'- how ironic) and d Laws it interprets? Shld we be this
Sillly and HYPOCRITIC because of some laws??.... I know the Judge was
interpreting a section of d law, but he shld either have used his
discretion Or he shld have just excused himself from such glaring
Injustice. But of course d fault here doesn't reali lie with d Judge in
this case, it is d Society (all of us) and the various Govts (past and
present) that is failing itself, Woefully in this respect.... I TOTALLY
CONDEMN THIS JUDGEMENT WITH EVERY THING I CAN COMMAND [/quote] if dey du dis 2 dis boi, wat wil dey du 2 boko haram who hv stolen pple's lives?
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Sdymyjoy: 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
d judge need psychatry test, y can he sentence him to at least 10 yrs imprisonment, wat abt dose politician dat steal billions
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by PrinceJustice(m): 7:50pm On Nov 20, 2013
LAWS are like spider webs, they capture and entangle the weak, but have no effect on the Strong and Powerful
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Ukutsgp(m): 7:54pm On Nov 20, 2013
They should have sentenced him to maybe 5 years imprisonment and nt death by hanging. The sentence is nt equivalent to the crime he committed at least it was nt real gun he used but toy gun. And when his crime is compared to those who steal billions daily, then u will conclude that this is injustice on the poor boy. I pray it shouldn't happened to the brother, children etc of those who support the idea that the boy be hanged. because u shall reap what u sow. What u wish 4 other may come to u someday. Thanks.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by PrinceJustice(m): 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2013
Ijobaorun:
if there is anything more dan brain surgery for him, they shld do it quick quick.
I think the judge will be in best position to handle Lamido's sons case.
And Odauh dem
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by KingsJohnson(m): 7:57pm On Nov 20, 2013
I know the law and am equally proud to be part of the law of my beloved country Nigeria. In law there is what we call Justice according Law and Law according to Justice. So i dont blame our beloved Judge who handle the case because he belong to the former category of people. However, the young man did not deserve such a harsh judgment be it a real gun or toy gun. Conclusively, he should only appeal against the so called judgment period.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by ThankGodEdeh(m): 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
kel4soft: Bigger thieves in our country been celebrated. Some even have sympathisers here. They steal big and go free while poor ones are sentence to death.

Poverty is not a yardstick for engaging in criminal activity. If you do any how, you go see any how.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Okijajuju1(m): 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
henrychubayo: Sometimes, when u have a first hand experience of armed robbery attack, you won't feel pity for these guy.

I still remember my good friend Ejike. He was working but didn't get paid on time. So he decide to use Okada to make small money for evening food. He was called by one lady selling recharge card to take her home. The were attacked and this guys shot Ejike twice in his heart. He died. So sad.

If this boy is armed with gun, he can do anything to get his way. So my brothers, sometimes, don't feel pity for this guys if you don't know the real story. If he acted things prescribe by death penalty in the law, he should face it. But for me, let it be reduced to life atlest.

I have been robbed at gunpoint in my house and its not a nice affair.. But sentencing a robber to death on a matter that does not have muster is outrageous..

Even under the 3 strikes law, it's not death but life.

This matter would be appealed and the ruling of the lower court upturned.

The judge should also face disciplinary panel from the bench.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by osolaif: 8:04pm On Nov 20, 2013
She na because of money. When this app would have helped him to get a scholarship
Search for scholarships and jobs the smart way with your android smartphone.
Download scholarship9ja app for free to let your phone take over the scholarship and job search
http://nextapps.mtnonline.com/30452
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Martinboy41(m): 8:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
Very bad, the jugde should consider lighter jugdement than death. It is the cause of unemployment in the first place, the judge should have sentence him to 15 years imprison than death.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by linearity: 8:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
kel4soft:

Sorry educate me on armed robbery laws. My concern is the double standard of these judges.

The law is centered around giving priority to human life above property and treasures.

If you bring a weapon to robbery, the penalty increases drastically because a human life was threaten and in danger even if the property or treasures robbed is insignificant but the value is large enough for you to be charged as a Robber and not petty thief.

On the other hand, if you snatched a million naira from someone without using any weapon, your sentence will be lower because no human life was in danger during the incident.

1 Like

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by odeybernard: 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
[color=#770077][/color]Dt serves those who tink they can just fold their arms without working then go and purchase either a toy or whatever gun 2 dispossess people of their hard earned properties right. If u can rub sm1 of his/her belongings, u r as well capable of killing, so face death penalty & knw hw it feels.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Elan83(m): 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
donphilopus: This' the rubbish I dislike. If this student is sentenced to death by hanging, what then would happen to Oduah??
catapolt 2 hell by floggin :@ i luv oduahsad pls,is Nigeria cloz 2 hell? Cos we all dey feel d heat.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by bank2k4real(m): 8:19pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hmmmm...I pity d guy sha oooo...but why always d small thief dat get the highest or toughest judgement..

Btw..check my signature for the latest promo on NL
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kushsy: 8:19pm On Nov 20, 2013
taharqa: What kind of USELESS law is that?? Apart from the fact that ONLY premediated murder should attract d Death penalty in my view, were you not alive when a former LGA boss got 6months for stealing around #1.5million? Now, a 'nobody' steals Recharge cards and he is sentenced to Death by hanging!!! Does that seem remotely fair to you? Cud there be a much greater INJUSTICE perpetuated by d Courts ('Temple of Justice'- how ironic) and d Laws it interprets? Shld we be this Sillly and HYPOCRITIC because of some laws??.... I know the Judge was interpreting a section of d law, but he shld either have used his discretion Or he shld have just excused himself from such glaring Injustice. But of course d fault here doesn't reali lie with d Judge in this case, it is d Society (all of us) and the various Govts (past and present) that is failing itself, Woefully in this respect.... I TOTALLY CONDEMN THIS JUDGEMENT WITH EVERY THING I CAN COMMAND
I totally agree wt u..Law ko law ni.! Rich man steals,he gets richer, poor man steals, he dies by hanging..Na wah for Naija.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Martinboy41(m): 8:19pm On Nov 20, 2013
Very bad
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by donJ2(m): 8:22pm On Nov 20, 2013
obyrich: You must be either a bigger thief or an accomplice. The smaller thief is aggresive because he lacks the security and protection of the state available to the bigger thief. For the fact that you support looting and pronounce death sentence on an armed robber then you must be worse than this judge and a very wicked and selfish man!

Funny hw u jst concluded dt sum1 is a 'bigger thief', wat about u datz protecting an Small ARMED Thief (SAT), wat does it make u ... 'a (SAT) aprentice' I suppose..lols,...wait till u r attacked @ gun point lik I was back in April, den next time u see dz kind of thread, u wud post sumtin better.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 20, 2013
24 4 secondary school??
anoda pa allen tete in d making
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by obyrich(m): 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2013
Okija_juju:

I have been robbed at gunpoint in my house and its not a nice affair.. But sentencing a robber to death on a matter that does not have muster is outrageous..

Even under the 3 strikes law, it's not death but life.

This matter would be appealed and the ruling of the lower court upturned.

The judge should also face disciplinary panel from the bench.
This is where I stand. The judgement is unfair and his counsel should file an appeal. If I were an attorney, I'd stand in for him pro bono.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by konklushun(f): 8:44pm On Nov 20, 2013
THE LAW IS AN A'SS.
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by soulglo: 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
bong4:

How can you say he had the intention to kill when he had a toy gun? Was he planning to beat her with the toy gun? His crime should be robbery and maybe some sort of assault. This is not armed robbery. I am sure she felt it was armed robbery but facts are facts. He did a very bad thing but it does not warrant the death penalty. If you give the death penalty to people robbing with toy guns then what is the point in not getting a real gun. A criminal that knows that he will get the death penalty with or without a real weapon will go for the real weapon because he knows he has a better chance of escaping the scene of the crime if he had a real weapon. How is that keeping people safer. Penalties should make sense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Suspected Robbers Escape Lynching In Imo After Looting Popular Market (Pix) / Mercy Na’an Found Dead: Suicide Suspected By University Of Jos Female Student / How My Girlfriend And Her Boss Was Scam Yesterday....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.