Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,424 members, 7,812,244 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? (18189 Views)

Arsenal Completes Signing Of Thierry Henry On Loan / Arsenal Offer Thierry Henry Two-month Loan Deal / Thierry Henry Officially The World's Best Player! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Christino(m): 1:45pm On Jun 19, 2006
Henry has finally broken the deadlock, so we can ask for more grin

If Gerd Muller's record's rubbish then I might as well shut up. But remember, the defense Yekini played against (mostly african, infact One in the world cup and none other I can remember) Henry played in the modern era, i mean the peak days of Cannavaro and Juliano (do they need introduction?). And back to that, check out the records of Daei of Iran (109 goals in about 140 games or so) or check out the goal scoring records in the Dutch league, Kezman, Nistelrooy and more recenly Huntelaar -> this is modern football showing the likes of Eto'o and Luca Toni, what next grin

And I saw a post where someone listed Fernando Torres as better than Henry? That cannot be blasphemy that's very true, especially when the poster is a relation (or in-law) of Torres grin Infact Torres is better than Nistelrooy grin
Let me make some things clear, Henry and Nistelrooy are not both 9's. Nistelrooy is a perfect 9. 9's are not expected to assist like some people blaming Drogba. I have no issue with players who assist and hala shot from yards. Like Henry and Rooney, you know, those are the kinds of goals that make you stand up, not square roots (Yekini's world cup goal, and Neuville's recent goal). Passes, crosses and dead ball situations (Kai let's leave that!)
Eto'o is fast achieving that too.

I see you are biased in your opinion of being ordinary and being rubbish (every club has its heart - even Chelsea and Liverpool and remember what man - u's season looked like before they got Rooney that year -> United fans can bear me witness).Arsenal would have moved on if Henry had left but it's clear the enthusiasm won't be there. Viera left, Rooney left, Owen left that's exactly what I mean.

Finally, team quality does not relate with the total number of goals. Oleg salenko or Russia (dat game in which miller scored d only goal 6 - 1 his last international) scored 5 goals against cameroon in the 94 WC, and crashed out in the group stages yet was top scorer, how good wuz da team? Suker nko? Why'z Brazil not getting too many goals despite the stars paraded in this tournament? and the Azurri's how many have scored twice? Replace all the strikers in France and be sure to retain the goal drought, Human beings! Crouch played 4 months without hitting the net o! and Gerrard and Alonso dey dere! and 4 country sef, Beckham join dey.

And then to top it all, i'll be right back!
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by otolorin(m): 2:24pm On Jun 19, 2006
@ christino

u sure got some fire burnin in u - spit 'em out

nice one!
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by otokx(m): 5:42pm On Jun 19, 2006
it appears the french team is cursed so i won't blame thiery henry for their woes.
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by bolaoni(m): 5:45pm On Jun 19, 2006
who cursed thm bros? cool
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Grizzly(m): 5:48pm On Jun 19, 2006
The senegalese "muti' men,
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by mukina2: 5:49pm On Jun 19, 2006
grizz do you know wat muti means in wolof tha senegalese language angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by bolaoni(m): 5:54pm On Jun 19, 2006
Muina, abeg tell us. Wait a minute are U a senigalis or what? cool
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by mukina2: 5:57pm On Jun 19, 2006
am not senegalese but its not a nice word its an abusive word shocked
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by bolaoni(m): 6:23pm On Jun 19, 2006
Ok Ma! But U didn't tell us the meaning sha kiss
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Jackal(m): 6:39pm On Jun 19, 2006
@ christino,

Ya analysis is a bit watery.
A player of Henry's quality should be scoring easily in the World Cup.
He scored yesterday and so freaking what?
He had anutha one on one chance that cld have put the game beyond the Koreans and what happened? He squandered it.
In the Premiership, he wld have scored in the same scenario which makes me think Henry panics at the big stage.
What Henry can do Park can do the same or even better.
I like the look on Gallas face when J S Park scored the winner last night.
Man U players are delivering the goods out there in Germany.
MAN U FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by bolaoni(m): 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2006
Hope you are not starting anutha round of war with this ur post? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by mukina2: 6:51pm On Jun 19, 2006
bolaoni:

Ok Ma! But U didn't tell us the meaning sha kiss

wanna know the meaning you sure/
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Christino(m): 7:33pm On Jun 19, 2006
@Jackal
please learn from Hucarson (he gets his facts right and anaylsis done as well as cross examination -> but has beef, incorrigible beef!)
Ronaldo is far better than Henry, shei where is his goal? he should be scoring freely as well. Luca Toni nko? as per one on one the worst i've seen is Kanu @ west brom (ball on the line, blowing some air on the ball woulda scored but the ball ended over the bar, Robson said "Only Kanu and God can explain that!"wink . FYI, one on one does not guarantee a goal, the best way to score is from the two dangerous 45 degrees (+-) as well as a shot following a blocked goalkeeper ) like the one Henry scored in the qualifiers - you know, and of course headers from Koller and Klose? So losing a one on one chance is like losing a penalty (abi?)

What Henry can do Park can do better? (Hmnnn. I reserve my comments, this is a forum anyway)
A defender won't applaud you for burying his efforts so Gallas should have handed Park a roll of Gala? grin He should thank his stars it's not Cannavaro shocked (no beef o, Park is really good)

And as for Man U delivering the goods? Wait a minute?
Ronaldo - penalty, Park, RVN (3 goals total)
Rosicky (2 goals), Van persie, Ljunberg (4 goals total)
Crouch, Gerrard (2 goals total)
Drogba, Crespo(2 goals), Robben, Shevchenko (5 goals total)

Who's delivered the most goods?

See your bias, My team is Boro, even then i'm a fan and not a fanatic. Let's call a spade a spade. And as for Henry been compared with Park, I leave you to your discretion.

Meanerwhiler Ukraine 4 - Saudi 0
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by mukina2: 10:28pm On Jun 19, 2006
hmmm park's goal kai even a blind man shud av scored that so wats the fuss anyway tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by superman(m): 1:32am On Jun 20, 2006
christino wrote

please learn from Hucarson (he gets his facts right and anaylsis done as well as cross examination -> but has beef, incorrigible beef!)
Ronaldo is far better than Henry, shei where is his goal? he should be scoring freely as well. Luca Toni nko? as per one on one the worst i've seen is Kanu @ west brom (ball on the line, blowing some air on the ball woulda scored but the ball ended over the bar, Robson said "Only Kanu and God can explain that!"wink

well bullllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiii ssssssssssssssss$$$$$$$$$$$$$$h

it not a question of u sidelin with another proclaimed expert dat dat completely rely on data just like ghana trash cez !! if u wana talk about the goal kanu missed then wat would the same robson say about the atlanta usa 96 goal!!u see ppl like u i mean ian wright, gary linkear and co need to shut up !!! just like lampard just latched out to the critism comin from "these meant to understand ex-england players !! just carry on prophetizin ur fake properganda
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Christino(m): 1:32pm On Jun 20, 2006
Man, call a spade a spade, i'm sure you didn't see dat game or better still the highlights, all kanu needed was to push the ball in (without his hands) and it is my opinion (this is a forum man) that i'm yet to see a worse loss than THAT!

U can't compare the Kanu of 96 with Kanu of 2004/2005, lai lai. Why did you have to bring Lampard in? I don't want to talk about his wastefulness in the last game, and i'm not criticising any player here, I DO NOT CRITICISE PLAYERS! Neither do I appreciate you exalting a player who has nothing much to offer and downsizing one who has paid his dues. CALL A SPADE A SPADE.

And as for Lampard latching out at Wright and Lineker, Messi might as well latch out at Maradona and who else can kick Platini's as$? U of course grin

One more thing, I do not believe football is Arithmetic. My club is Boro and my Team is Spain. I can diss my players if they misbehave and if they play well they get commended ( I won't commend Birmingham lai lai). As for experts relying on data, you might as well prove yourself an expert by predicting trinidad and tobago winning the world cup.
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Jackal(m): 1:45pm On Jun 20, 2006
I dunno why all y'all are biting at each other's throat.
Dont let us analyse off the topic. Leave Frank Lampard and Kanu out of this.

Henry is over-rated as far as i am concerned.
This won't be his 1st major disappointment in big tournaments.
How can u justify the fact that Henry has NEVER SCORED from a Zidane's pass in 53 ODD GAMES they have played together?
The most obvious one was the slide-rule pass Zizou gave Henry against the Koreans recently and Henry goofed it like a donkey that he is.
If i wanna call spade a spade Henry will not make the list of the top 10 strikers in the world at the moment.
Torres, Ruud, Van Persie, Robben, Adriano, Sheva, Luca Toni, Pauleta and Klose are the reigning kings.
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Christino(m): 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2006
Correct me if i'm wrong. There are two major tournaments in the world. The World Cup, and the Champions League (in order of viewership)
I don't want to waste too much time but who has anything to say about Del Piero's world cup goals record?

And it is really unfair not to include Heskey, Vassel,Christino shocked and Jackal cool in the list of those hotter than Henry.

In fact, put a price tag on all of us including henry, separate henry, add the value of all of us put together and subtract my value (of course i'm not a footballer!) subtract the total from Henry's (not Henry's from the total) and you are sure the result will be a positive integer. shocked

Let me pick the hot ones out of your list (Its my opinion):
Ruud (the most dangerous on your list) (I don't think the whole of Holland is hot anyway)
Pauleta (can prove himself anywhere, any day anytime but every player has his drought season)
Luca Toni (well well well, like Scilacci, starting to shine late in his career, his height is a major advantage)
Sheva (needs no introduction)
Adriano (powerful and agile, damn good too but had a disappointing season)

Robben is an attacking MF, pick Messi or Tevez instead.
Van Persie hotter than Henry? think of Rooney
Klose? Is that some sorta Bierhoff or what? Jan Koller? or height stuff? He's very good too okay.
And Torres. Hmnnn, let's leave that, I've heard someone say he's better than RVN, let's wait and see sha, and now again he's better than Henry. They said that of Reyes before, now they can't. Hmnn

going by records, Eto'o , Huntelaar, Boyd, i dey come
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by kitaun(m): 7:22pm On Jun 20, 2006
JACKAL,
how could u say all those strikers or whatever you call them are beta than henry,u dey watch soccer at all ?,abi dem dey come run commentary 4 u at home or what,by the way all those u mentioned adore henry to an admirable extent,the closest any striker came in rating near him in the past few years has been Scheva,initially it kinda dragged btw him and RVN at the premiership stage until he silenced the RUUD one,more for a strker that provides the highest number of assists in club football in recent years
the small boy henry has matured into a man and u should be accorded his respect,he is not even as worried as some of u guys are about his form in the french shirt,the guy is an actor off and on the field just like ronaldinho,entertaining in the process,pls we love to see more of that than some straight-business approach some footballers adopt
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by superman(m): 12:09am On Jun 21, 2006
if ruud is that hot as u proclaim i dnt see any reason y man-u are lettin him go !and as u like to talk a lot about spain i dnt think that team is that hot !!ghana can beat then if they can pass the ball quick and more dicisive easily believe it !! judge or prosecutor!! if u ask me and god i can tell u larson (SWEDE) is hotter !! take it or leave it he is better we understand football !! and more dangerous!! check it out my friend!! remember how  super eagles gt punished by him in japan 2002 world cup!!

so my friend  Christino  u caN RUN your mouth day and night henry is hot and france is $hit !
now lets call a shovel a shovel! henry might have to play for super eagles to reinforce his superiority mannnnnnnnn!! team that can pass and hold ball well on a good day! just like a lot of people still doubt zidane when he was in juventus in italy but when he was in real mardrid all yall fake expert like u were off his back! and u might like to know if u watches some of ronaldino skills is instrumental to baba oKOcha u could laugh if u want bark all day !! but call a straight line a straight line not pependicular or paralle
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Jackal(m): 12:19am On Jun 21, 2006
@ Kitaun,
U spew dirt more than real wordz.
How did Henry silence Van Nistelrooy? Some heads just open their mouths just because they like the sound of their voices on Nairaland.
Henry being admired by Sheva? I am having a laugh.
What has Henry won individually that Sheva hasn't won?
Sheva has taken his out of Serie A to be the all time leading scorer in UEFA champions league plus he has been named European player of the year.
All y'all Henry cock-suckers should go n bury your nappy heads in shame.
Henry is the fakest striker to have ever graced the game of football.
Hate mails are welcome.

@ Superman,
Man Utd has proven times without number that no player is bigger than the club.
Its only in Arsenal that the Manager has to beg a fake player to stay. No one does that at  Man United.
Beckham, Andy Cole, Yorke and Jaap Stam were all sold when it seemed they were all found wanting.
Its a big club and not a community club like Arsenal where Henry calls the shotz and even selects the team.
Let it be known that if Rooney misbehaves today Ferguson will hock his ass off to Germany or Italy.
Utd can afford to let Ruud go because Ruud is now 30 and Utd is building for the future.
Ruud has paid its dues. A player who scored 150 goals for United in the last 5 years is great and Old Trafford will miss him but life has to go on.
The dream attack every Red Devil is craving for is Ronaldo + Rooney + Torres.
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by superman(m): 12:45am On Jun 21, 2006
@JACKAL,
          no come talk yeye now man-u gt money yes arsenal de build stadium yes !! chelsea dnt ran too much waiste of money! buyin playin to the extend the owner call for enquiry in their gross spendin my friend!! so shut up yall can afford to spread but arsenal can't! now call a shovel a shovel!

well henry larson lead de way kiss it leave !! love mail will start comin in dnt mind!
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by otolorin(m): 10:53am On Jun 21, 2006
make una leave my henry alon now
the fine young man dey enjoy himself and his career, and you'all wouldn't just think of somethin better?

just have a look at how comfortable this guy is at the expense of our arguments!

Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by Christino(m): 1:40pm On Jun 21, 2006
@ Superman
I can see you are here primarily to make trouble, I don't have your time, just a word of advice. Watch the game with your eyes as well as your BRAIN!

Man-U are yet to win the premiership since they sold Beckham, i believe they made a big mistake, Real are yet to win a tr. I do not buy the opinion that Torres is better than RVN - how? If it is by likeness then i'd have a preference for Utaka or Osaze shocked
Pls a good player is good, but let's not hype Torres coz i've seen on this forum where people say he is better than Henry and RVN put together grin

@ Oto
U are so damn funny and right. Whether you like it or not, by the time the world cup's over, this guy is back to 100s of thousands of pounds a week while you are still here bragging about players grin

I believe Wenger should be respected (PLS NOTE I AM NOT A GUNNER! - no Nigerian in your team, i'm notta Fan!) but the guy has a way of building a team out of nothing. I stand to be corrected, Walcott is the most expensive player in Arsenal since Henry came in. How much has Man-U, Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea spent and how well did their highly prized players deliver?
Now he has strikers in Walcott, Van Persie and Reyes at least for the future. No one can rubbish his passion for developing young players and turning them into world class players. Henry was a nobody back at Juventus you may say, but the same Henry murdered them in the just concluded Champs league, same with Real Madrid (Big names O). And don't forget he's good at freekicks too and he assists damn good too. In fact, a club's all time Highest Goal Scorer, moreso, Arsenal, cannot be gabbage. Who should shut up now? I guess its the wiser one - the bigger man.

When Viera left, everyone thought arsenal was gone. Rooney left Everton and they achieved so much without him. Owen thought he was leaving for greener pastures when Liverpool did the unbelievable. When a club depends so much on a player, chances are that they'll want to prove him wrong when he leaves - watch, coz if not the dutch league won't be selling their strikers yet we get as much as 38 goals from a single player in league games a year from them, yet names come up even if some leave. Nistelrooy, Kezman, Jan Klaas u know.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. I tell people and i'll say it again. My best player remains Michael Ballack. If you like yap him or buzz him, i'll always be his fan even if he messes up again. If a player is good i will admit he is. Henry is more than good, all he needs is drop the dirt off his shoulders and many will dove their hat!
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by kitaun(m): 3:01pm On Jun 21, 2006
JACKAL,
           bros,u like to open your mouth wider than your legs can ever take u and your post is full of thrash,dirt and nonsense rolled in oneyour fergie has proven time and time again that he is a use and dump coach,what is there to say again 
           your ruud boy does not even come close to over 200 goals scored by henry,wetin come be your noise,if henry does not play 4 a whole season,ruud will not score up to the no of goals henry has scored
          henry even supercedes RVN in the total no of goals scored 4 country,yes or no 

CHRISTINO,
                 haba torres compared 2 henry,the gap dey far lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by hucarson(m): 4:06pm On Jun 21, 2006
@ Kitaun,
It annoys me when grown-ups like u cannot differentiate between goal ratio and the number of goals scored.
Arsenal fans are predominantly soccer illiterates and its people like u that make up the figures.
If player A scores 10 goals in 20 matches and player B scored 8 goals in 11 matches. Which of the 2 players is more deadly?
I know a mutt like u will choose A because in your eyes 10 is more than 8. grin grin grin.
Henry joined the Premiership in 1999 and Ruud joined in 2001 so how do u expect Ruud to outscore Henry when Henry has got 2 seasons start ahead of Ruud.

** Van Nistelrooy scored 44 goals in 2002/03 season to win the Premiership's golden boot and Champions league's golden boot.
Henry has never scored 40 goals in a season ever before and he has not won UEFA's golden boot ever before.
Ruud is the 1st player in the Premiership to score in 8 consecutive league matches.
Ruud is a goal machine. Henry cannot match the dutchman's wizardry and knack of goal-scoring.

Did u say Henry supercedes Ruud in the total number of goals scored for their respective countries?
I am now very sure u don't know what you're talking about.
Ruud has scored 28 goals in just 53 matches for Holland.(more than 0.5)
Henry has scored 35 goals in 80 matches for France.(less than 0.5)
Do the math. Who is the deadliest amongst the 2 strikers?
I will implore u to always check your stats and research before preaching heresy on Nairaland.
grin grin grin

Shevchenko is the leading all time goal scorer in UEFA. He has scored 51 goals and he is now tied with Raul Gonzalez but the player that scored the most recent goal are always placed above the other whenever there is a tie which makes Sheva the top scorer.
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by otolorin(m): 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2006
this is one reason me and huc always lock horns

you good with the stats, agreed
but why'd u keep quiet on a thread and the only time u bust is when sum makes a blunder

this is a forum where we should inculcate previous dissin or whatever displeasure in the way we contribute
there are a million and one ways to correct kitaun wen he gets d stats wrong

i agree with u as per proper findings b4 posts, but dont be so gross!
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by mukina2: 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lol, one man 2mouths lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by kitaun(m): 6:43pm On Jun 21, 2006
hucarson,
              u re so foolish,uncouth and barbaric to be so foul-mouthed on an issue u seem to be so biased about
              i never mentioned henry having a better goal ratio than ur RVN,but said he has scored more goals than he has 4 country,when u say ronaldo  is trying to match up to or surpass just fontaine's record of 13 goals @ tha mundial is the no of matches being put in consideration ?
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by hucarson(m): 7:27pm On Jun 21, 2006
@ Kitaun,
I dont even know where to start.
Something inside me wanna break out and sting u like a caged cobra but anutha thang says i should walk away from this beef.
I'm gon' stick with the 2nd thought.
Let it be known that the gentility of a tiger doesn't make it a coward.
U r now on ma radar and one more sound from u will make me detach u surgically.
Ya heard?
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by kitaun(m): 7:40pm On Jun 21, 2006
WHOSAI grin

POST EDITED; \meant to say gerd muller with 15 goals total not just fontaine at a single tourney with 13 goals/.

who told u that when 2 players are level on the scorers chart the most recent is regarded as the highest ? they are known as joint top scorers and truly i admit the fact that sheva became level with raul on the 4th of april 2006 with 51 goals,i simply overlooked it,maybe because he wasn't just consistent in the run up 2 the mundial
total number of goals was considered in rating both of them as top joint scorers abi na goal ratio dem use ? see as u dey contradict urself.
Re: Why Is Thierry Henry Mediocre In Major Tournaments? by superman(m): 7:44pm On Jun 21, 2006
well bro CHRISTINO,

its not about makin trouble basically here!! its just showin some concern due to the presence of player haters in here!!

henry is the best ! if u like go and jump from de window

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Southampton Vs Arsenal (1 - 1) On 23rd October 2022 / Tottenham Vs Liverpool : All You Need To Know About Champions League Final / PSG Vs Juventus UCL (2 - 1) On 6th September 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.