Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs - Music/Radio (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs (43346 Views)

Top Ten Worst Nigerian Hit Songs Remix (Opinion) / What Are The Songs You Never Get Tired Of?? / Songs You Didnt Know OJB Produced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by yuncka: 12:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
Our 'lie lie' national anthem.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Esinwaju: 12:13pm On Nov 23, 2013
YungLaw: most artistes makes songs for the club where niggas are drinking not for the ride home where niggas are thinking
Culled from 'Better days' by The Game. Deep and conscious rap song!!!
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Reference(m): 12:13pm On Nov 23, 2013
sweet_gala: j

You don't seem to have musical hearing then, I'm probably more critical of Nigerian artists but to denounce their creativity is absurd. The current stock of hip hop artists are so lame and just recycle the same ol trash that an average artist like Kendrick Lamar is calling all of them out.

Of course there is perceptible decline in the quality of music production and the music industry in general globally and not just in America no thanks to illegal digital downloads. The internet is a great tool but the music industry has often been short- changed. Album sales revenues have decline. I am not surprised interest and tastes are departing from music for private listening to dance hall, concert, commercials and film adaptive music because that's where the money is. Its the internet abroad and 'alaba' pirates locally that are changing the face of music unfortunately for the worse in my opinion.

Just imagine. What is 'gangam style' and poof, gone like the wind. No substance. Just a fad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Vock(m): 12:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
JESSE JAGZ IS THE BEST!!! HIS LYRICS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD... THAT THY NATION COME ALBUM IS THE SH***T

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by FREEDON: 12:15pm On Nov 23, 2013
oliver twist by dbanj..i like nicki because her ynash is bigger..then donjazzy got angry and kicked him out of mo hit.. grin
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by paparazzy21(m): 12:17pm On Nov 23, 2013
TRILLIONIAR: kako bi chicken
Sorry dawg....you puffed the wrong shit! Kako bi chicken is dope.... #teamALAGA *loba loba*
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by einsteino(m): 12:19pm On Nov 23, 2013
they are hits because you idiots are the same peeps who would never support artist who aint doing the mainstream noise making music. how many of you bought original copies of Asa's album? or her music wasn't good enough too abi? praiz, iye that have been singing good songs, una no gree promote them...

abeg musicians, sing whatever as long as you make your cash. nigerians dont care about artist, the moment you stop rolling hits they would stop supporting you,. if you try do good songs, na the same peeps go dey laugh u say u no wan go mainstream, say hunger dey kill u.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by KingzPen(m): 12:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
Well said Rayvene... Shows how matured you are... Good of You...
Rayvene:

I said "most naija artistes".Not "all".Of course there are creative naija artistes out there.I mentioned them in one of my previous posts smiley

I won't comment on what you said about my 'musical hearing'.I'll just let that pass since you and I don't know each other.

Seriously,don't get bent out of shape because of the opinions I shared here undecided.I'm entitled to them and you're not obligated to like them.
smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by write2obi(m): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2013
pullover undecided
limpopo undecided
kerewa. undecided
danfo driver embarassed
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Reference(m): 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
funnyx: That's why I don't listen to all the recent yeye songs, give me Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey songs anyday anytime! Over 40 decades they are still evergreen, same with KSA and Barry Wonder. Children of nowadays I pity you na skelewu your generation fit produce cry

Every generation had a 'skelewu' moment i.e. A perception of decline and decadence by the preceding generation. Rapping and the break dance generation is an example. Some stay some fade. Like my dad will say its all perception. We will always view things as declining but is it just because we are out of our comfort zone....

But 'Oliver Twist'.... I like Beyonce....' Sorry D'banj in twenty years.... I doubt that.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by kennykg(m): 12:44pm On Nov 23, 2013
Dammy krane -robo
dbanj -eyin boys egba oju e
sean tizzle -sho le
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by nonsookongwu(m): 12:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
Jayses: the truth is dat those guys are only conforming to
our desire u rarely see a naija youth admiring
artist like Asa,Dare @ wht dey want is Alcohol
music I rest my case
actually, that's the big problem, the love party beat and because the beat covers lots of 'sin', Nigerian youths just happen to love it. when i was in secondary school, omg, I loved all Nigerian songs with Sharp party beat but, when I grew up and started enjoying western pop, rock and country songs, I noticed I started enjoying d lyrics and as old as I am, I observed that most Nigerian hits are actually crappy, they lack organisation, content and coherence. with the exception of Asa, tuface, MI, waje, and someother nice artists, others are just entertainers. if u think am lying, take a tour of owl city songs,, Katy Perry, Taylor swift and casting crowns....u ll notice how all the elements of music has been put in place
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by scribble: 12:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
luvable sam: Danfo drivers by mad melon n co....can't understand How this song ever made it to limelight.

nigerians are innately razz, we like razz tinz ma guy
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by adukslizz(f): 1:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
"Agbalumo" by seriki..gosh dat song is so wack makes me wanna puke
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Onwe101(m): 1:03pm On Nov 23, 2013
Av just com to realise dat majority of naija song has Ω̴̩̩̩̥o meanin...dosnt pass any message..just noize...wat du u learn listenin to terry G....I just REMEMBAD my baby BY sky B
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by azimibraun: 1:03pm On Nov 23, 2013
BB thinz as bungalow brain thinZ. Nothing upstairs artistes.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Boyooosa(m): 1:04pm On Nov 23, 2013
Gbagbe w**e, Skelewu is the piece. Music is not meant for the moody moments only neither sensations all the time, ur fun should also be catered for. skelewu is a dancehall track and u dont need it to give u lectures like 'Nigeria Unite' would giv u. but 'toin toin' by Bracket will annoy any serious producer.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by adusco(m): 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2013
kennygee: All of whizkid's songs except "Holla at ur boy" and " i love my baby". All of Olamide's songs, all oe Kswitch's songs. Dprince's "take bananna". Zulezoo's "kerewa". Flavour's "nwa baby". Too many to mention.
which one is nw good?
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Evanisgud(f): 1:17pm On Nov 23, 2013
Jus dance 2 d beat, forget wat they ar saying.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by cheapgadgets6: 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2013
U guys av forgoten samboribobo by saucekid...mehn....stl cnt find a minin to d lyrics of dt chorus...was a massiv hit though
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by UyiIredia(m): 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2013
Funny tho', seeing people dislike Terry G's hits, Wizkid's hits and Olamide's. At least no Chidinma haters I've seen so far but there could be. I usually try to balance between lyrics and beats in liking a song and to me many hit trackz focus on the latter but another unovious thing is the flow is what peoole like. The voice and how the person chains words together. That requires some skill. If you think not ! Try making a hit track like say 'Free Madness'.

Now to my list.

Ligali - Dammy Krane

Simply stüpid IMO.

Personally - P-Square

Good video but average track, later saw what people liked in the song but I was too long gone disliking the track.

High - Tonto Dike

A major flop last year as far as I care. E be like say radio dj's dey craze if dem fit put stupid songs like this above many better tracks by unknown artiste's out there.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by 49cents(m): 1:26pm On Nov 23, 2013
I have the feeling that posters are just forming refined here!!!!

Granted the lyrics is never serious but they got Nigeria dancing and you have even enjoyed it in some way, at some point!!!

Nigerian artist are a product of the poor educational syetem in Nigeria,....how many good songs enjoy massive airplay or how many have you bought online so as to encourage the good artsist!

As it is most artists in nigeria do pop and hip-pop so u can fault their song which is in tune with the genre they sing
Can we stop this whining already and start buying the songs/albums an d attend the shows of the few good ones and see if more artists won't emerge

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Amstillfabz: 1:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
Dj hack: P-square - Personally (monopolious jam) so wack.
D'prince - Take banana....f*cking lyric.
Kcee ft flavour - give it to me.....
9ija lyrics are so annoy..Wishevery Artist in 9ija could be like ice-prince

Just listen to yourself..do you even listen to iceprince lyrics at all....ice prince is too wack abeg...imagine him saying he flies to London, and that's a punchline oooh, na waka hin for waka now

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Amstillfabz: 1:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vock: JESSE JAGZ IS THE BEST!!! HIS LYRICS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD... THAT THY NATION COME ALBUM IS THE SH***T

You my friend understand the essence of music, jagz is the greatest.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Ninilowo(m): 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
django1: Eminado! I mean what shiiiit is that?
Yes.....ori e wa nbe....I hate dt trash eh?
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by anyakarl(m): 1:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
For me, Tony Tetuila tops the list with his two major hit tracks:
You don bash my car &
Two women.
Please where da hell is that dude.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by tintingz(m): 1:49pm On Nov 23, 2013
safarigirl: P-SQUARE WASN'T BETTER THAN SKY B? And their albums sell more than Tu face's? P-square and Tu face are the ONLY Nigerian artistes in Nigeria who tackled genres that normally flop in Naija and still sold. Even when they sang those 'burial songs' like bye bye, omoge mi, I dey miss you die, Am I Still That Special Man people still rushed their album, listened to the songs and joked about their heartbreak songs. P-square are Africa's most successful group in urban music. Only 2face and P-square remain from their era, others are gone. Even Styl-plus, Africa's BoysIIMen couldn't last despite their appeal. Those guys have been here for over ten years, longer than D'banj, Banky, M.I. Sky B didn't even last up to a year. If they were so wack, they would've long lost their fame. Comparing P-square to that clown is like comparing Ludacris to Souljah boy.
I know you will bring your D'banj hating thing here, why comparing D'banj with banky, MI?
D'banj has been singing with the jjc 419 squads including don jazzy, weird MC, kween, MP etc in abroad. Guess you don't know that cuz you don't even know music then.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by tushd(m): 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2013
Una sabi sing song...this songs with the beat is our tradition..u dont expert them to conform to foriegn songs nd loose the naija flavour....naija music is about fun nd enjoyment...even u so called asa sang that..bimpe ba mi wi song nd it was crap

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Italiano1: 2:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
dayokanu: Any Idris Abdulkareems rap

E.g whats nthe meaning of

"do goo do goo come give me some fufu mo meee iwo ni mo feeeeee baby jumijumi jumijumi iwo ni mo fe feee"

Or megedefegede etchstaffthkksllsku mi o shako mo?

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by tintingz(m): 2:14pm On Nov 23, 2013
armadeo:

i swerrigad.
gbam!
gbam!
gbam!

till now i still dont get it and this was a monster hit.
If you understand yoruba you will not get what gongo aso means.
Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by tintingz(m): 2:19pm On Nov 23, 2013
FREEDON: oliver twist by dbanj..i like nicki because her ynash is bigger..then donjazzy got angry and kicked him out of mo hit.. grin
LOLZ both D'banj and Don jazzy sat down to compose that song which was very creative both lyrics and the song itself, again if you have read the book oliver twist you won't say this crap...and mind you that song alone topped UK music chart and one of the most viewed on youtube. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Songs You Can't Understand How They Became Hit Songs by Abbytani(f): 2:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
yuncka: Our 'lie lie' national anthem.
I was eating while reading n ur post made me choke nw im laffing, na really lie lie...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Tony Allen Is Dead! / SUV For Next Rated Act Of The Year At #12thheadies (Photos) / 9 Nigerian Music Influenced Slangs And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.