Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50231 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 23, 2013
dolapobello1:

Busted!! One should not say "very wrong". The degree of wrongness does not vary and as such, cannot be comparative.
In essence, what you should have said is "that is wrong".

you wan fall person hand, ba? i don expose your .... for here.
did u just say degree of wrongness?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Smily202(m): 8:52pm On Nov 23, 2013
I dont belive in some ...where as this is Nigeria. .English is borowed..We learn every day.....tautology or not, we understand what we speak....
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
leavestory: did u just say degree of wrongness?

Do you suffer from selective vision? Or are you deliberately oblivious to the quotation marks?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by paulemi(m): 8:58pm On Nov 23, 2013
freda506: Even though
so therefore
i went there personally
short summary

mmh! You've not seen "I personally went there myself".

Having said that, I believe a lot of these tautologies are mainly for emphasis. Nairaland is an informal medium, so a lot of these mistakes can pass, since we all understand the idea being conveyed. Heck! Lots of folks will not even notice.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Youngsage: 9:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Na wa o!
see as fear catch me as I dey browse dis thread, na today I know sey English teachers boku for Nairaland.
Even pple wey get F9 for English sef wey dey ta bon anyhow go dey wan argue ontop wetin dey no know! Una no go kill pesin wit laff o
grin grin grin grin

@O.P thumbs up jare, nice post there, good observations.
I dunno buh I think the title of dis thread sounds smehow #myopinion tho.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 23, 2013
hmmmm,I luv dis thread...
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Dannylux: 9:02pm On Nov 23, 2013
See as una wan murder Vivly undecided
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 9:10pm On Nov 23, 2013
blink182: you should be ashamed of yourself. Your father has thrown so much money in the well educating you.

See this buffoon ! Just because I dared challenge the norm doesn't mean I'm an intellectual fluke. Try arguing your religious belief with me on the religion section and watch your sorry self get schooled. Finally, my father has wasted NONE of his money on educating me.

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 9:19pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: You all trying to dispute the facts based on claims that some of the adverbs were used for emphasis should try to check the dictionary meaning of the words. Why the unnecessary repitition? .

Madam, please be reminded that English is the most redundant language spoken. Furthermore, redundancy in language, as I hoped you would learn from my skit, plays an important role in: 1) reemphasizing a point 2) keeping integrity of the speech in case of error 3) coopting an otherwise foreign language in a distinct style. If you have done a bit of reading or thinking on language and its evolution you would note elements like pronouns, prepositions and adverbs are also redundant. In fact, if a mathematician modelled language in a certain way he would conclude_falsely of course_that language is inefficient. The mathematician-philosophers Ludwig Wittgenstein and Bertrand Russell concluded so.

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by bigtt76(f): 9:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
shocked ...Peep ....takes off!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 9:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
Youngsage: Na wa o!
see as fear catch me as I dey browse dis thread, na today I know sey English teachers boku for Nairaland.
Even pple wey get F9 for English sef wey dey ta bon anyhow go dey wan argue ontop wetin dey no know! Una no go kill pesin wit laff o
grin grin grin grin

@O.P thumbs up jare, nice post there, good observations.
I dunno buh I think the title of dis thread sounds smehow#myopinion tho.

@ underlined: Thank you. Even Vivly couldn't escape from the sin of tautology. A tautology is obviously grammatical. Talk about a teacher teaching her students nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
ALL THE WHOLE

PS: Abeg anybody open thread about Mike Akhigbe's Burial?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 23, 2013
rattlesnake: bosom
womanliness
joystick
precipitate
heavenly feeling
intimacy
bleep
et etc
grin grin loooool...u dey mad o
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 9:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

@ underlined: Thank you. Even Vivly couldn't escape from the sin of tautology. A tautology is obviously grammatical. Talk about a teacher teaching her students nonsense.
Teaching who nonsense? You're the only one here grouping all tautologies as wrong grammer. I know my topic is a tautology.

Btw, while you were trying to debunk my logic, you forgot others that were plain obvious. Why? Contradictory? Talk about picking the easy one.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by tdade(m): 9:31pm On Nov 23, 2013
Inasmuch as the OP made some valid observations, I'm of the opinion that some points were borne out of pedantry on the OP's part.
Can't be bothered to start disputing, cause I see some people have rightly done that.
Having said that, I'd like to re-emphasize that the OP did make 'some' valid observations.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Teaching who nonsense? You're the only one here grouping all tautologies as wrong grammer. I know my topic is a tautology.

Btw, while you were trying to debunk my logic, you forgot others that were plain obvious. Why? Contradictory? Talk about picking the easy one.

Why u dey vex?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
aManFromMars:

Why u dey vex?
I no dey vex o
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Xyge(m): 9:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
This tautology topic is a very funny one... It makes students(nairalanders) laugh out their viscera...... MY!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly ma'am nice work buh that ORIGINAL COPY is nt a tautology, take for example, u made a coloured printout of sometin u got on d internet(say ur Admission letter),that becomes the original copy ,then wen u make photocopies it becomes d duplicate copy
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 9:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Teaching who nonsense? You're the only one here grouping all tautologies as wrong grammer. I know my topic is a tautology.

@ bolded: Then you have a VERY BROKE, BEGGARLY and BLANK basis to begin to correct others tautologies. Please remove the speck in your eye before undertaking the surely Herculean task of schooling others out of tautologies. And spell 'grammar' flawlessly whilst you are it, insufferable Missus I-Sabi-Pass.

5 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 9:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
aManFromMars:

Why u dey vex?

Leave am. She no sabi.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 9:45pm On Nov 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

@ bolded: Then you have a VERY BROKE, BEGGARLY and BLANK basis to begin to correct others tautologies. Please remove the speck in your eye before undertaking the surely Herculean task of schooling others out of tautologies. And spell 'grammar' flawlessly whilst you are it, insufferable Missus I-Sabi-Pass.
You sound pained? Go to the first page and read my first post

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 23, 2013
jamael: angry

You asked the person to check whatever they have written before posting, but then you failed to check yours, because if you had actually checked yours, you would have seen that you made a mistake, so how is it typographical error?, This is simply over sabi that has caught up with you.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mu2sa2: 9:49pm On Nov 23, 2013
Where is Hon. Obahiagbon? Pls come and reduce these pretenders to nothing.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by CodeHouse: 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
...where dat my UGO C. UGO book sef?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 9:52pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: You sound pained? Go to the first page and read my first post

Pained ?! undecided Vivly honey, if that helps you sleep better tonight, so be it. I am not pained, more like, QUITE pissed at your needless pedantry as like-minded persons here have adviced.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Xyge(m): 9:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
osinachukwu: Haha u must be a law student
One doesn't need to be a law student to foward intelligent posts.... I think what distinguishes him is that very knowledge he has, as regards the English Language....
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by factorial1(m): 9:56pm On Nov 23, 2013
hmm, 12.5 likes for this.
Uyi Iredia:

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 9:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Pained ?! undecided Vivly honey, if that helps you sleep better tonight, so be it. I am not pained, more like, QUITE pissed at your needless pedantry as like-minded persons here have adviced.
Whatever takes you through the night.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Xyge(m): 9:59pm On Nov 23, 2013
osinachukwu: Haha u must be a law student
One doesn't need to be a law student to foward intelligent posts.... I think what distinguishes him is that very knowledge he has, as regards the art of English Language....
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 10:04pm On Nov 23, 2013
Repetitions sad *double post*
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 10:04pm On Nov 23, 2013
Vivly: Whatever takes you through the night.

Desree's 'Life' and other tracks in my playlist will suffice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second / One Of The Things That Wasted Our Time In Secondary School / Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.