Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,418 members, 7,812,234 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50196 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Fresia01(f): 11:37pm On Nov 23, 2013
Abeg, i heard ASUU is caln off d strike nxt wk, is it true??
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by edyza(m): 11:43pm On Nov 23, 2013
[quote
author=Vivly] See how you went for those tautologies that you could
easily do justice to. Check the others listed and analyse.[/quote]

don't know if i read correctly but i thought i saw,'you are wrong on several counts'. By that i think the young man meant that not all are correct eventhough some are. Hope it's not what i'm thinking,hope the heat and pressure is not getting under your skin.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by chucky234(m): 11:44pm On Nov 23, 2013
Fhemmmy: Nice one, and i do use this one too . . . GTB Banks
GTBank
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen! Lets all calm down and have a few glasses of wine ....hrrrmmm. Tautologists :-).
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly:

9.Safe haven. Literature gurus, Is there such thing as unsafe haven? Havens are by their definitions safe places.

11. General public. This is the most common. All those news being addressed to the general public, unless you're treating certain members of the public as special, all members of the public are general.
www.dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/safe-haven
www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?rd=1&word=safe+haven
www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/the-general-public

E be like say you sabi English pass dictionary.

This thread is too pedantic for my liking. Tautology dey different from the evolving use of 'emphasis' in current English usage.

While some of the cited examples are ungrammatical/incorrect and admittedly tautological, others are essentially 'emphatic' reinforcements. . . .and are in accordance with the EVOLVING rules of grammar. Language is NOT static; it evolves.

Google is the most comprehensive and trustworthy dictionary these days.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by hardeyincah(m): 12:05am On Nov 24, 2013
full meaning of PIN please, dont wanna use google..
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 12:09am On Nov 24, 2013
PIN - Personal Identification Number
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 12:22am On Nov 24, 2013
Mermaid.of.life:
PIN - Personal Identification Number
shut up,pin means people into networking grin thank me later
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 12:37am On Nov 24, 2013
[quote

E be like say you sabi English pass dictionary.

This thread is too pedantic for my liking. Tautology dey different from
the evolving use of 'emphasis' in current English usage.

While some of the cited examples are ungrammatical/incorrect and
admittedly tautological, others are essentially 'emphatic'

you'r
reinforcements. . . .and are in accordance with the EVOLVING rules of
grammar. Language is NOT static; it evolves.

Google is the most comprehensive and trustworthy dictionary these
days.[/quote]

infact, the use of every language evolves from time to time. Well said ....
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by papaejima1: 1:16am On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: .I wonder why they are liking that your post. Those are tautologies for christ's sake. Some are rightly used and others are blatantly abused. Why are you contradicting yourself Uyi, are you trying to debunk the facts, cuz in some instances, your post claims otherwise. Don't just argue for the sake of argument please.

Frown face. Seriously, is there any other thing we frown? Why not say frown alone.

Shrug one's shoulders Same thing for frown.

Dry lake.If a lake has dried up, it is no longer a lake.

Original copy A copy is not original. It is just a copy.

Emergency situation All occurences are situations. It's just an emergency.

Frown face. Seriously, is there any other thing we frown? Why not say frown alone.
Yes, you can frown your ANUS! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by kandiikane(m): 1:34am On Nov 24, 2013
[img]Original copy A copy is not original. It is just a copy.[/img]

Ofcourse but it can be an original copy if there have been many other copies made from it.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 1:39am On Nov 24, 2013
homesteady: Uyi, it is still tautology!
logically but it does nt make it wrong
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 2:06am On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: In as much as some of the facts are incorrect, they are still tautologies. A deeper view, breakdown of the concepts will show this. Most of those facts are accepted as spoken english, maybe due to constant usage but it doesn't change the fact that it's a tautology
what is the point you are trying to prove? In as much as it is accepted,that makes it correct. in otherwords, it is not tautology. tongue
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Sam32(m): 2:14am On Nov 24, 2013
Dannylux: Interesting.. This is exactly why I wanna marry Vivly. smiley
Ugh! Goodluck bro, hope u got pickup lines clean frm tautological errs...''exactly why''
Hey V cut him some slacks, wil ya?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mecusbosco(m): 2:50am On Nov 24, 2013
I disagree with below two.

18.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.
This simply means you are recording and its live on air. That is to say that audience are hearing or watching while you are in the studio.

12.In one way or another. If it's not true in one way, then it's not freaking true. How can something be true in both ways?
This is not also about the truth or not the truth. It's about action. For example, your boss tells you "you just have to do it in one way or another". It means the assignment is sacrosanct else, you are fired!

Se oti gbo?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by ChiSun27(m): 3:41am On Nov 24, 2013
I have really learnt a lot...thumbs up to all the contributors. Una gbalie na.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by gothrones(m): 4:08am On Nov 24, 2013
leavestory: This is one of the reasons why this country is not moving forward!!!!we take someone else tradition,culture or language seriously more than ours!!!when u see a spanish man he or she is proud of the spanish language,when you see a french man or woman they are always very proud of their language which is french!!!you meet an italian man or woman they are always very proud of the italian language but here in nigeria we take foreign languages seriously than our own languages!!!!!if we feel that taking english language more seriously is what makes us very civilised then we are very wrong because are we trying to say the people in france,italy,spain,uk,and the others are not civilised that is why they take their own language seriously than any other language?we should learn from them,I weep for this country when I see some nigerians takes things too personal on english language even more than the people that owns the language!!!!!!

Leave story na irony

And ironically, your post was written in English.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 4:33am On Nov 24, 2013
::Andrew:::
How about a statement like: The time is 3.o clock. Shouldn't we rather say 'It's 3.o clock'?
What is 3 O'clock? Ur d.i.i.c.k? Ode
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 4:34am On Nov 24, 2013
::Andrew:::
Eat food. what else can be eaten if not food? grin grin grin
U can eat ur babes punnany nah
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by NadiaSA1(f): 4:37am On Nov 24, 2013
naijaborn001:
What is 3 O'clock? Ur d.i.i.c.k? Ode
na wa shocked shocked
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 4:38am On Nov 24, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
clap your hand.
sit down.
rise up.
bend down.
reverse back.
climb up.
Ode! "Sit down" is out of it. U go school at all?
What about " sit right" "sit up" sit straight"?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 4:46am On Nov 24, 2013
Fresia01: Abeg, i heard ASUU is caln off d strike nxt wk, is it true??
Gerrout! U think everybody wey dey here be student?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Miner13: 4:52am On Nov 24, 2013
Please! Please!! Please!!!
Noted
but, why are you stressing my medula with another race language. 9ja 4 real
2 me o, i nid tautologies in pigin or yoruba
shikena
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Russellval(m): 6:18am On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: .I wonder why they are liking that your post. Those are tautologies for christ's sake. Some are rightly used and others are blatantly abused. Why are you contradicting yourself Uyi, are you trying to debunk the facts, cuz in some instances, your post claims otherwise. Don't just argue for the sake of argument please.

Haven't you heard of sarcasm?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by lirusehn(m): 6:19am On Nov 24, 2013
blatant rubbish. U niru work on ur English.

2 Likes

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by isralkhalid: 6:42am On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: Free gifts
Today's modern technology
I also like it, too .

N100 naira.
Frown face..

Shrug one's shoulders
Dry lake.
Original copy
Emergency situation
Why are you all focused on the tautologies on my first post. I'm yet to see anyone who would disprove these ones. Oh Wait, it's obvious. These are tautologies.
...Lolzz Modern technology is modern technology....why repeating with 'today' sinc we know that modern is same as today technically!!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by isralkhalid: 6:43am On Nov 24, 2013
I also like it, too .

N100 naira.
Frown face..

Shrug one's shoulders
Dry lake.
Original copy
Emergency situation
Why are you all focused on the tautologies on my first post. I'm yet to see anyone who would disprove these ones. Oh Wait, it's obvious. These are tautologies.
...Lolzz Modern technology is modern technology....why repeating with 'today' sinc we know that modern is same as today technically!! Free gift?? No, gift is already free, why do we have to repeat it with 'free' ??
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by mustaphagreens(m): 7:13am On Nov 24, 2013
Vivly: I just saw one of your post posts and honestly, you have no right to say I'm being pedantic. Goodnight!
vivly my friend, the more you try to paint ur wrongs right, the more u helplessly murder the english which you so much claim to know sad . Why not give it up and agree that noone including you is perfect rather than ridiculing yourself in the name fighting a 'failing' course

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by lirusehn(m): 7:30am On Nov 24, 2013
mustaphagreens:
vivly my friend, the more you try to paint ur wrongs right, the more u helplessly murder the english which you so much claim to know sad . Why not give it up and agree that noone including you is perfect rather than ridiculing yourself in the name fighting a 'failing' course
bros liv am abeg. U knw see her write up? U even get tym 2 dey 4low her xchange words

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Yahoo1(m): 7:55am On Nov 24, 2013
I also like it, too .

N100 naira.
Frown face..

Shrug one's shoulders
Dry lake.
Original copy
Emergency situation
Frown face is mostly used in pidgin English....have not read any book or heard someone say; She frowned her face.

N100 naira...you are right, you said in NL,because i'm yet to see anyone use it out of NL.

etc...abeg....no mind moi.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Yahoo1(m): 8:01am On Nov 24, 2013
lirusehn: bros liv am abeg. U knw see her write up? U even get tym 2 dey 4low her xchange words
boss..how far na....they don unban you from Romance section?
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Okikiade(m): 8:04am On Nov 24, 2013
Wallahi Talahi...,'a damn wasn't given'! Blowing grammar's a bragging instrument,master your indigenous language and you're a class act! 2nd language's just a sauce! Puffing Cuban Cigar!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

OAU Students Boo Jonathan / UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked / Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.