Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

The Nigeria Police Force Needs Our Support - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria Police Force Needs Our Support (1358 Views)

Confirm Amaechi And Lose Our Support, PDP Senators Warn Saraki / IG: Police Force Needs More Staffs / President Jonathan Needs Our Support To Succeed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigeria Police Force Needs Our Support by aminho(m): 6:47am On Nov 23, 2013
i posted an article on my facebook page which says

I always fume when I see people ridiculing the Nigeria Police Force. That force has in its ranks some of the bravest men and women on the face of this planet. Ready to battle hardened armed robbers of the type London or New York policemen have never seen. Hundreds of them are killed yearly in these exchanges with robbers. They patrol the streets in their vehicles in the dead of night ready to take on these robbers, while we sleep comfortably in our homes, taking everything for granted. In fact one can say without reservation that the only thing standing between the majority of us 'middle class' type and those hideous, murderous men of the underworld are the brave men and officers of the Nigerian Police. Kudos to the force for their efforts
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260765_73567_119198018140640_100001513284474_126042_4417083_n_jpg272966460c23e378d872473ceb8f4a4b
so these are some of the comments i received
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260767_46575_449864294024_555619024_4942429_1597193_n_jpge8b29a06efaa4d77fef5182726850322

@ Muhammad Wakil wrote People find it hard to sympathize with the police because the most common interaction with we have with them is when they stop us at checkpoints to ask for money. It's easy to ridicule them if u don't know how poorly treated the junior officers are. They are sent on assignments far away with sometimes only N2000 per day to feed and shelter themselves. If they were better paid and trained they would likely be better at their jobs. and is so right www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260774_police_jpg6000237f23f885f3bc757e699565829f [img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260784_Officers-commandered-Jonath_jpge4161bbe5602b2dd292ebc1d7ea6ff1e[/img]

@Tijani Bulama Even if at least they are given 2,000.00 as their daily allowance for a special duty, believe me you, I cannot judge all but 80% of them will do the right thing a the right time. Accusation and counter accusation is normal as per as Nigeria Police is concern but you can only justify when really you are one of them. We have a long way to o as per as security is concern in Nigeria. Just take example on other countries where they value security of life and property, they can spend billions of Dollars just on security softwares not talking of logistics and accoutrements. You can imagine, what is suppose to be given out of free to the personnels of the police force is legitimately sold to them without any remorse. So tell me, under such a circumstance of hand to mouth take home salary with all the risks accompanying with the job and still expecting them to perform without corruption. Please we are deceiving ourselves.www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260785_itua_2deromosele_2dthe_2dpolice_jpgac9be4313009d3054aa46a3c60b9a8e7

what do you think about it lets open it here for discussion www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260794_33888_119690524758056_100001513284474_128056_8368274_n_jpg952e9abcd10b996c860a2680f881e22f www.nairaland.com/attachments/1260806_300799_10150335454849025_83321019_n_jpg2d22ce47e8bf8e49c8fa2bdf3937e7d7
Re: The Nigeria Police Force Needs Our Support by aminho(m): 6:57am On Nov 23, 2013
Re: The Nigeria Police Force Needs Our Support by Peinstein: 8:26am On Nov 23, 2013
Quite a revealing thread. Prior to my service in 2008 I had the oppurtunity of being part of a team that was scheduled to train police officers on computer appreciation, Internet and cybercrime at the force headquarters in Louis Edet Abuja.
I noticed quite a few things since the training was for about 5 weeks

1. There are a lot of professionals in the police force. The ICT department had some brilliant inspectors who had sound knowledge, good qualifications and internationally recognised certifications. They knew what they wanted and invested a lot in themselves. I thought police officers were dumb, I was wrong. The problem I noticed was that the 'institution' was too rigid to allow such individuals to demonstrate their competencies

2. The course was just for three days for each officer, 1 hour a day, making it 3hours in all. This was because we had a lot of officers to train. I initially thought we were wasting our time, who would learn computer appreciation and use of the internet in just 3hours? Well the cops didn't help matters, they looked timid when the training started and asked a lot of ridiculous questions. Sometimes you would ask them to type their names after explaining what the keyboard and other parts of a computer are meant for, and surprisingly they would be running their hands on the mouse as though it had keys on it. There were challenges, but would you believe that after the 3 days ( 3 hours ) they could operate the computer, do simple work on microsoft word, use the internet to a great extent ( they were already creating and sending emails to eachother). The cyber security part was removed from the training due to schedule challenges. I just imagined how they would have turned out if they had say 3 weeks training

3. The top officers are more exposed, composed, and intelligent than the rank and file. This is because they have better education or have attended a lot more trainings and seminars. I believe the guys on the lower cadre would be better if they are trained regularly and given incentives to further their education

4. Police are us. They don't bite, inside the force headquarters they were one of the most normal people you meet everyday irrespective of their status. They have problems, aspirations, desires, hope, just like all of us. That was when I stopped fearing them and started understanding their situation. Those officers would be the best, just like an everyday Nigerian if they are properly motivated.

5. We need to help them - the training programme I took part in was organised for free by a private firm and we trained several hundreds of officers. I used to wonder why a police officer would just enter a cyber cafe and round up everybody for doing yahoo-yahoo. I got my answers there, most of them don't know what the internet is used for, how can someone who doesn't know how to use the computer or internet be instructed to arrest yahoo boys, of course he would pick the wrong people. It comes back to us when we help institutions like the police. I was serving in Nasarawa that same year when a police officer walked up and introduced himself to me and said he was one of the officers I trained. I felt so proud, I enjoyed a lot of familiarity with officers while serving there. You never know how far your contribution can go

6. There are terrible police officers, and you have to know how to relate with police officers on an individual basis. Some (or a lot) of them could make life a living hell for you when you have issues with them. However, the police uniform is not a corruption mutant, they are a reflection of the country itself.

(1) (Reply)

Reminding President Jonathan What Has Been Said About Ogogoro / Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns! / APC In Crisis Talks Over Marwa, Shekarau, Bafarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.