Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,054 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! (13354 Views)

Kolade Akinjo: Appeal Court Upturns Tribunal’s Verdict / Real Reason I Resigned From Jonathan’s Govt As SURE-P Chairman – Christopher / Dr. Christopher Kolade, SURE-P Chairman Resigns? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by aieromon(m): 12:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Where are the missing funds? Who do we hold responsible?
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
pullyacap: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chair

A new chairman of the Subsidy Re- investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) may be named any time from now as Dr. Christopher Kolade is set to step down from the position this week, THISDAY can reveal today.

The newspaper learnt that already Kolade has communicated his decision to resign to President Goodluck Jonathan, who is said to be hunting for another credible Nigerian to lead the intervention committee.

A source told THISDAY that the challenge before the presidency at present is getting an immediate successor for Kolade, given the fact that his former deputy, Major- General Mammam Kontagora (rtd), who could have naturally stepped into his shoes, had died in May this year, a development which was said to have delayed the retirement of the committee chairman till this month.

According to the source, the presidency was still shopping for a replacement for Kontagora when Dr. Kolade moved to formalise his resignation in a letter.

In the letter (a copy of which was obtained by THISDAY), Kolade informed the President of his wish to step down as chairman of SURE-P latest by the end of November before his 81st birthday, which comes up in December.
The letter dated September 25 and entitled “Withdrawal from Chairmanship of the SURE-P Committee” reads: “I wish to inform you, respectfully, of my decision to resign from the position of Chairman of the SURE-P Committee.

“My desire is that the resignation should take effect as soon as Mr. President names a new chairman, but not later than the end of November, 2013.

“Mr. President, it has been a worthwhile experience for me to serve as chairman since the inauguration of the committee in February 2012. However, as I approach my 81st birthday, I wish to retire from the more time and energy consuming parts of my responsibilities and activities, one of which is the SURE-P Committee chairmanship.

“Mr. President, please accept my sincere thanks and appreciation for the opportunity to serve in the position of chairman, as well as my prayers for good progress and success for Nigeria in the years ahead.”

Kolade confirmed his resignation in an exclusive interview with THISDAY.

He stated that it was his desire to step aside before his 81st birthday, saying although he is still mentally and physically fit, time has come for him to attend to his private life and his family.

Although, the outgoing chairman cited old age and the attendant rigours of his schedule as reasons for stepping aside, a source said he may have been frustrated by the spate of rumours trailing his tenure as chairman of SURE-P despite his efforts to educate Nigerians on the true position of things.

According to a source, Kolade, who is a former chairman of Cadbury and former Nigeria’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, feels he has been ‘messed up’ and should take his leave.

He was said to have wept profusely last week at a review meeting of the committee and at one stage left the meeting before he was persuaded back.

Speaking on his resignation, he told THISDAY: “As at the time I was asked to come and take charge of the SURE-P, on the day that the President spoke to me, I was a few days away from my 79th birthday. So at the end of last year, I was 80 years old. I thank God that I’m strong, and in good health and my simple mind is still ticking over simply, but there comes a time when you are at my age that you ask yourself, is this what you should be doing now? Should you be spending your time at this moment fighting rumours and try to explain the same information many times?
“So, middle of this year, I went to the President and said to him, I want to leave but if you remember my deputy chairman then, Mamman Kontagora had just died.

So the President now agreed that he would appoint another deputy chairman and that I would work with this deputy chairman for a while so that the place is not suddenly empty. The deputy chairman dies, the chairman goes but that is what we have been working on and I have actually written a letter to the President to let him know that latest at the end of this month, I’m out of SURE-P. So, he has that letter.”

Kolade explained he decided to make his planned exit public in order to prevent another round of rumour.

“We feed on rumours and both in my family and in my religion they don’t like rumours. The letter was dated September 25, 2013. So if you hear or if rumour begins to indicate that I’m leaving, I want you to know that members of my committee already know that I’m going. So, it’s not a secret,” he stated.

When asked if his resignation was subject to the approval of the President, he explained that there is no going back on his decision to quit at the end of this month.

SOURCE: Thisdayonline

I have a lot of respect for him and honour his service to our country. I have mixed feeling for his achievement in this role. This programme appears to be an utter shamble reflecting the complexity and architecture of Nigeria's problem, but may be because of his desire to serve (and also to remain relevant), he didnt ask the right questions before and during his appointment. Only him knows whether this programme is a failure and success and he owes it to Nigerians to say so. The only problem I have with this man is that he is too soft, lacks the gut to challange what he knows is wrong, and that may well be the reason why they keep appointing him to clear up their mess.. Main reason why I say this is he delivered a speech in a conference in London where he was trying to convince everyone in the conference why OBJ should be given 3rd Term. I left that conference disappointed in him, but then again, he was an ambassador. Ambassadors suck up to their political masters, dont they?. all the best to him though. But at 80, I want to be fearlessly providing objective, tough, wise and Godly counsel in preparation for eternity with Jesus, not hustling in Abuja with young and careless politicians that know the right things but refuse to do them.

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Abuja2013: 12:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
It is better for Dr. Kolade to clear the issue of #500B missed from SURE-P before he leaves. Instead of using SURE-P funds for critical infrastructural developments, the funds have been using for petty things through which funds are being misappropriated.Rifineries , Power, Roads,Tertiary Hospitals, Education are there, no developments.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by eluquenson(m): 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
Why won't he leave, when the fund for the said project has been embezzled & yet nobody to account for it, he's to sacrifice his job .
I could remember vividly when Tunde Bakare warned him about this project of a thing but he didn't heed to the advice undecided
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by mamdanju: 12:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
This government finance administration is strangulating agencies and parastatals setup with good intentions by denying them funding. Recently, Yayale Ahmad step down for non-funding of his committee after several promises, PTDF oversea scholars are now being owned in arrears of their fees and allowances, Sure p was not able to meet it financial obligation to contractors and some of its employees, ASUU is on strike for similar reasons. I understand the frustration being suffered by this old man. I think the resignation is the best thing for him and his family. This people are not serious about moving this country forward.

2 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
Resignation is a rear norm in Nigeria that is why many think that there is something wrong. 81-yr-old man, medicall and psychologicaly, is not suppose to hold public office. Dnt mind ASUU and retirement age increment.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by tomakint: 12:36pm On Nov 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The vultures and devils have chased yet another good and credible Nigerian out of govt with their relentless attacks, propaganda and rumours. And all these Just because some people dont like the face of the president or where he comes from?

Anyway, I wish Dr Christopher Kolade many more years of good and sound health
You dey mind them, Christopher Kolade is in his late 70s if not early 80s and they think he could keep up with the rigours of managing an establishment as burdensome as SURE-P! undecided excuse the vultures as usual grin grin
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Kuic: 12:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
SURE-P no longer sure,right from the beginning,i knew something wasnt right abt sure-p,i guess its better late than never,Dr Chris time rest!
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by theoctopus: 12:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
1025: before his resignation, was he able to tell nigerians the where about of the missing N500B? God bless him if he did otherwise, se him, see dying twice like that his brother ooo.
nigerians are paying from their nose to but fuel for their cars and generators both at work and at home then one responsible irresponsible elder comes in and walk out with some billions. God, u dey heaven ooo. U self know how much me and my family don contribute for this sure p that was projected to make nigeria a new japan. chai, if these ppl no bring back my money, agugu's case will be a child's play for wetin them go see.
resignation my foot. why won't he resign if he has gathered enough within this short period of time.
on the other hand, this man is just a smart thief. very brief stealing and he is ok. at least he has stolen enough to take care of his second generation but there others who started stealing over 40 years counting. why are they not resigning for others thieves to take over. u did two years acting pres... and 4 years full term, why not go home and enjoy ur loots make others come steal too? nigeria na ur own?

Get it into your block head. There is no missing 500 billion! The only thing missing are the brains of the foolish propaganda press trying to spread falsehood. The NASS has since left that claim because it was a false claim. There is no missing 500 billion. You think 500 billion is something you put into a ghana must go bag and just put in the back of your boot?

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by theoctopus: 12:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
aieromon: Where are the missing funds? Who do we hold responsible?

We will hold you responsible! Please go and find the missing funds or you will be blocked from NL till 2019! wink
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by donodion(m): 1:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
pullyacap:

I agree with your summation. If one seeks to place the motive behind establishing the interventionist agency side by side with present realities/scorecard of its performance,one needs to herbalist to tell one that the agency hasn't fared well at all on its mandate

And the fact the 2015 is in the horizon,SURE-P is no doubt one of the agencies through which humongous and unverifiable contracts would be channelled with a view to building a warchest to prosecute the election. Baba Kolade must have seen through all these shenanigans and decided to call it quits now that the Ovation is still salvageable citing old-age of course as a DECOY!

U dey nack d truth wella...no shy to hammer anyone who misyan...thunder fire all of dem Nigerian Politicians from the presidency to the council ward committee.Bastards!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by khattab02: 2:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
theoctopus:

We will hold you responsible! Please go and find the missing funds or you will be blocked from NL till 2019! wink
Hahaha..lol.
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by gerald09(m): 2:42pm On Nov 25, 2013
Na wa oh 81 years old how do an 81yrs old man bring improvement, d dude's older dan Nigeria. Dey are not suppose to be heading but rather guiding. pretty sure dey are people btw d ages of 40-50 that can handle dat. Is dere a reason y dey keep recycling d old into power n leaving d young to suffer.

2 Likes

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by gogodaye(m): 2:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
As is customary in our clime, Dr. Kolade despite his pedigree was never afforded the benefit of the doubt. He however has proven his critics wrong, every day in Abuja I see sure proof evidences of his supervision of the FG share of the proceeds of the funds from the removal of subsidy in January. However the hawks at both the state & local govt levels who cannot account for their own share had turned to maligning him to the cheers of their mad herd followers. I wish him the best & HPD @ 81
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Localamos(m): 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
pullyacap: The SURE-P job is an albatross no one wants around his/her neck now. Owing to the fact that the intervention the money accruing from excess petroleum product pump price can hardly be felt! A man of Integrity will think twice before taking up that job as the government might not give you the free hand to deploy the resources so generated to the core areas of need.

If I could give a thousand "likes", then I'd give it to this comment.

1 Like

Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
Why I Resigned As SURE-P Chairman - Christopher Kolade

November 25, 2013

The Chairman of Subsidy Re- investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P), Chief Christopher Kolade, has resigned his appointment following issues of financial and performance credibility surrounding the programme.

Kolade, whose resignation has been accepted by the Presidency, in a monitored programme on AIT said he had to ask himself if he was really discharging his duties as SURE-P chairman given the many controversies that have beset the programme.

The former Cadbury Plc boss said that he agreed to chair SURE-P because he saw it as an avenue to serve the people and his profile would give credibility to the programme given the historic mistrust of people towards government projects.

The Senate ad-hoc committee on SURE-P had accused the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) of mismanaging N500 billion that ought to have accrued to the programme.

But the Federal Government has denied the report saying the N500 billion went to states and local governments for implementing smaller versions of the SURE-P.

Source
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by bobolic: 10:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
This man should not have been given the job in the first place. He was too old and too conservative to adequately handle such an agency in today's Nigeria. In a less politically charged Nigeria, one would have suggested Pat Utomi for the job. But will the PDP agree? Remember that Buhari , who headed the PTF was appointed by Abacha, who announced the coup that overthrew him. He not only agreed to serve, but did very well. Who shall we call forward now? Onosode? Dafinone? Clark? Tompolo or who?
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by sako28: 4:07am On Nov 26, 2013
I know baba too well. We are family friends and discuss with him on national issues every time i visit him. GEJ woke him up with phone to inform him he was the only person he can trust with SURE-P project. Baba is prudent in his ways. He is a Senior Pastor. And one thing i learn from him is no matter how high u are honor God. Baba never miss mid week and Sunday services. And He preaches at least one Sunday in a month at any branch his church ask him to go. When i saw him and his wife some Sundays back in church i almost shield tears of joy. He came in his E-class and enter church like a normal pastor. Happy Birthday in advance baba. God Bless u. And thank You for your word of truth and advise to the youth,
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by mondi2: 1:01pm On Nov 26, 2013
Baba Kolade, I wish you the best of luck in life..
Re: Christopher Kolade Resigns As SURE-P Chairman! by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 26, 2013
sako28: I know baba too well. We are family friends and discuss with him on national issues every time i visit him. GEJ woke him up with phone to inform him he was the only person he can trust with SURE-P project. Baba is prudent in his ways. He is a Senior Pastor. And one thing i learn from him is no matter how high u are honor God. Baba never miss mid week and Sunday services. And He preaches at least one Sunday in a month at any branch his church ask him to go. When i saw him and his wife some Sundays back in church i almost shield tears of joy. He came in his E-class and enter church like a normal pastor. Happy Birthday in advance baba. God Bless u. And thank You for your word of truth and advise to the youth,

I have a lot of respect for him.
But ask him this question: Why was he supporting OBJ for 3rd term? Did he ever tell OBJ it was wrong to be messing about with Nigeria and Nigerians with his 3rd term agenda.
It is a problem in Christianity (I am not bad-mouthing fellow believers - I am a Christian myself) that our christian leaders appear not to be confronting politicians because they are cosying up with them for one favour or the other. My mantra is pray for God to give wisdom to our political leaders, when you cosy up with them, counsel them with the truth and confront them with the wrong they are perpetrating, maintain your objective independence as a Christian. I get fed up with Chrstians that count it as God's favour to have political contacts (if they really know who the God they serve, they will know it is the other way round) and fear of losing these contacts will gag their mouth from speaking out when things are going wrong in the polity. We need the likes of Billy Graham in Nigeria. Enough with the soft spineless do-gooder christian leaders we have today. Increasingly, to the world we are called to impact, we are losing our credibility as christians in Nigeria because of greed and quest to be relevant. I dare say this, analysis of Nigeria's problem will reveal that there is spiritual undertone to it. The solutions or lack of them fall squarely on our laps as Christians. If we dont take our spiritual place in Nigeria, future generations and in broader Africa is jeopardy.

As i said, i have a lot of respect for Chief Kolade and he is not the object of my rant above but the day i heard him promoting OBJ's 3rd term agenda in a conference in London, i walked out thinking, can a man displease his conscience because he is an ambassador of a country whose president knows the right thing, but refuses to do them. It preeks my soul when i see an old man or a leader not doing the right thing or doing the wrong thing. He cant tell be he didnt know it was fundamentally wrong for OBJ to seek a 3rd term and for him to be promoting it by reading a script crafted by Abuja. Phew!!!
Please people challange me if i am wrong and i am not trying to be holier-than-thou, but I am just angry about this development.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edo Governorship Election: Those Plotting To Buy Votes Won’t Succeed - INEC / Olawepo-hashim, Kebbi First Lady, Bagudu, Tonto Dikeh For 2022 Philanthropy Awar / CCB Uncovers Orubebe’s Property In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.