Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,516 members, 7,826,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities (10432 Views)

Tuition Fees In Nigeria Private Universities / List Private Universities In Nigeria / Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 10:40am On Nov 25, 2013
AWKA—TWO private  universities in Anambra State, the Madonna University, Okija and Paul University, Awka weekend received N100 million each from Governor Peter Obi as part of the state government’s on-going intervention in tertiary institutions in the state.

Similarly, Governor Obi gave N30 million to St. John’s Technical College, Neni to enable the college improve infrastructure.
Obi recently began the intervention in tertiary education in the state with a grant of N5 billion to the state –owned Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu University for infrastructural development during which he promised that private universities in the state would also be supported.

The governor said during his visits to the two private universities that the intervention was necessary because as institutions in Anambra State, they were training the children of the state.
Obi also donated two vehicles to each of the universities.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/obi-doles-n200m-paul-madonna-varsities/
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 10:47am On Nov 25, 2013
Is it proper for governments to donate cash to private companies?

Is this not like giving part of the resources of the people (or tax payers' money) to private businesses?

Is the reason given by the Governor (that the schools train Anambra children) good enough? Why can't the Governor continue to build and support the state-owned institutions?

Would those Anambra children pay cheaper fees in those private universities or continue to pay the high fees that all private universities charge?

Does it not amount a misplacement of priorities for a state that cannot boast of adequate supply of drinking water to the people to be funding private businesses?

Why give outright donations rather than loans or grants or investment or concessionary rates for tax and levies?

I think that some day, this bogus and needless donation will be investigated and the Governor may not come out clean.

31 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 10:55am On Nov 25, 2013
The other time that Governor Obi distributed 58 brand new cars to directors in the state, I had cause to write this:

Pukkah: The poor man is in serious trouble in this country. To make matters worse for the hapless masses, there's no help in sight. Politicians waste money anyhow and are driven by selfish interest.

There is no adequate drinking water or sanitation. Yet these leaders continue to squander money.

This is the same state where a market went up in flames recently and some of the traders attempted to jump inside the raging fire.

https://www.nairaland.com/1483088/fire-guts-onitsha-market-traders

Politicians! Nigeria!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/1523947/peter-obi-distributes-cars-anambra

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Sibrah: 11:02am On Nov 25, 2013
The private unis too need support no doubt about that, but i think he could have provided good roads and maybe improve on waterworks structure supplying the community where such school are situated instead of this Amala Politics he is playing with tax payer money. If this was done by Fashola, by now Tinubu would have been the O-wner of the said schools.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 11:05am On Nov 25, 2013
How is this different from government making donations or giving free money or free buses to ABC Transport or GTBank or Obasanjo Farms or XZ Private Hospital because they transport/bank/sell farm produce/treat Anambra children?

These donations are questionable and should be condemned before our ever ingenuous politicians begin to make direct transfers to private companies and businesses.

The stakeholders in the state should also press for a return of the money to the government coffers.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 11:10am On Nov 25, 2013
Sibrah: The private unis too need support no doubt about that but i think he could have provide good roads and maybe improve on waterworks structure supplying the community where such school are situated .

Precisely. In which case, the roads or waterworks would become government assets.

Government could also make money from such assets - e.g. water rates or road tax.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by erniok(m): 11:15am On Nov 25, 2013
This is nigeria where it is norm to deviate from globally acceptable standards.what is he doing about the state of state owned university or those ones no longer train Anambra children.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by erniok(m): 11:18am On Nov 25, 2013
Sibrah: The private unis too need support no doubt about that but i think he could have provide good roads and maybe improve on waterworks structure supplying the community where such school are situated instead of this Amala Politics he is playing with tax payer money.
Private universities get fund from individuals, organizations performing their social responsibilities and not from got government.
Like I said, this is nigeria.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Olugbenger(m): 11:34am On Nov 25, 2013
This is outrageous and very unnecessary.

can you imagine?
angry
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Tolexander: 11:55am On Nov 25, 2013
It doesn't really make sense, goverment donating to the private universities and institutions.

These institutions are enterprises to extort from the citizens making their profit and gain from the extortion and goverment is meant to protect the citizens.

The only reason why i will support the donation is if the goverment's donation is to subsidize the expensive school fees being paid by the students!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by juman(m): 12:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
Which kind of country is this?
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Slizbeat(m): 12:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
Even though I like all of Obi's policy, I am beginning to think he is going too fast on this particular event....that's just my opinion.

Nevertheless, my liking him doesn't stop me from supporting his Investigation by EFCC when he steps down. Infact, it should be included in the constitution that all Ex officials should be investigated and probed at the end of their tenure.

My own views.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Olugbenger(m): 12:36pm On Nov 25, 2013
Tolexander: It doesn't really make sense, goverment donating to the private universities and institutions.

These institutions are enterprises to extort from the citizens making their profit and gain from the extortion and goverment is meant to protect the citizens.

The only reason why i will support the donation is if the goverment's donation is to subsidize the expensive school fees being paid by the students!

what's wrong in subsidizing the state owned institutions?

Has this government been able to do that?

Are the public institutions even properly funded?

This wantom waste of public funds can never be justified.

This action isn't far fetched either ; the same governor has been involved in such gestures, especially now his tenure is ending very soon.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 12:38pm On Nov 25, 2013
Slizbeat: Infact, it should be included in the constitution that all Ex officials should be investigated and probed at the end of their tenure.

My own views.

This sounds good. The tenure of all political office holders (with expense budgets) should be compulsorily probed after leaving.

At this point in time in Nigeria where corruption has been enthroned, the savings from such a move will outweigh the costs.

But, it's the same corruption that will prevent our lawmakers from legislating such.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by taharqa: 12:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
There is NOTHING wrong in Govt Supporting Private Univs as long as it is geared towards such fields as Research and Development. Knowledge is neither Private nor Public; it is Universal. Most of d top Schools in d USA for instance are Private, and yet they receive huge Govt Support/Interventions...

3 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 12:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
Olugbenger:

This action isn't far fetched either ; the same governor has been involved in such gestures, especially now his tenure is ending very soon.

Tolexander: It doesn't really make sense, goverment donating to the private universities and institutions.

This is why I strongly suspect money laundering.

Some of the money may go back to Obi after his tenure. The donations don't just make any sense.

As a start, the 'real' ownership of the universities should be investigated.

By the way, were those sums appropriated or approved by the House?

Nigeria is just a mystery. You have poor citizens and poor infrastructure all over the place and yet a Governor is doling out N200million to private companies!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2013
taharqa: There is NOTHING wrong in Govt Supporting Private Univs as long as it is geared towards such fields as Research and Development. Knowledge is neither Private nor Public; it is Universal. Most of d top Schools in d USA for instance are Private, and yet they receive huge Govt Support/Interventions...

Kindly direct me to where Peter Obi said the donations are to support specific R and D or other noble initiatives.

Also note that this is not a grant or other forms of non-cash support. Again, what's the stage of development of the state or country that wants to give out cash to private businesses?

Does this action make sense in capitalism? Why should government use public capital to strengthen private businesses?

This is the reason given by Obi:

Pukkah:
The governor said during his visits to the two private universities that the intervention was necessary because as institutions in Anambra State, they were training the children of the state.

You may also provide references of this type of model in those 'Most of d top Schools in d USA' which you stated that they receive 'huge support' from the government.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Tolexander: 1:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
Olugbenger:

what's wrong in subsidizing the state owned institutions?

Has this government been able to do that?

Are the public institutions even properly funded?

i've stated that i don't support goverment(not restricted to Obi alone) donating public fund to the private universities.

However, not everyone can be priviledged to attend the public universities hence reason for subsidizing!

Seems to be obvious that the obi issue has an ulterior motive!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by papiwater: 1:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
Very wrong move. Would make sense only if the money was given specifically as scholarship to Anambra indigenes who study in those schools.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by aventura: 1:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
magnus paipatrum of non significant hocus pocus. If only he melangolided the tollibetor, the boshanistical appalum would have been zolisted. Very bad of him. cool
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
I hope the striking lecturers won't use this to elongate the strike. grin
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
I hope the striking lecturers won't use this as another excuse to elongate the strike. grin
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by agadez007(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
When i say that obi is the worst thing that ever happened to ndi-anambra some dumb apga farts will rise up to his defence,he keeps donating like father christmas
just last week,he went to ugwuagba obosi,bad roads and all to donate money to a hospital,yet my people keep praising him,all roads in obosi are very bad that even okada riders dread them like plagues
Anambra wake up

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by aventura: 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
kolawaxxy: I hope the striking lecturers won't use this to elongate the strike. grin
Did you just say elongate?

They will very much jullipate the on going strike to a palpable uxonquency, and that is my fear.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by aventura: 1:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
Please let's leave matter for mattias
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 1:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah: AWKA—TWO private  universities in Anambra State, the Madonna University, Okija and Paul University, Awka weekend received N100 million each from Governor Peter Obi as part of the state government’s on-going intervention in tertiary institutions in the state.

Similarly, Governor Obi gave N30 million to St. John’s Technical College, Neni to enable the college improve infrastructure.
Obi recently began the intervention in tertiary education in the state with a grant of N5 billion to the state –owned Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu University for infrastructural development during which he promised that private universities in the state would also be supported.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/obi-doles-n200m-paul-madonna-varsities/

Calls Madonna University Okija VC:: Bia Nwokem, I just heard that Obi has been sharing money again and now it has reached Okija.. You better bring my cut or .........

But why is Obi such a person sef.. angry

He shared cars to traditional rulers, nobody talked.
He shared cars to directors of Civil service, Nobody talked..
He has now started donating our money to Rev. Fathers through Universities.. angry

How can he take Anambra state money and go fund Madonna University which belongs to a Rev. Father when UniZik is still looking like an Advanced Poultry research institute.. angry

Infact, I give up on eastern politics.. Ebonyi no hope, Imo State ndi Otimpku, Abia ka na ta orji, Enugu na eke Picanto, Anambra state and Gov. Donatus Obi.. angry

Just imagine what 200million would have done for UniZik...

Like seriously, Eastern politics is still way behind.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
WTF! Is he drunk? Private school? Is this some sort of typographical mistake? Na wao
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by wildchild1: 1:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
This is totally uncalled for especially when the state owned university is not even in its best form..To even think these private universities are not paying tax is another issue.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 25, 2013
Maybe his children are there. Na family business undecided. Why ASUU no go strike sef angry angry.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Bobstar(m): 1:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
That's one of the reason ASUU is fighting against government on funding issue.. You see such amount donated to private university and Mr governor will not do that to public university! So pathetic... All they want is to make private university to strive just like their private primary schools and private secondary school have outshorn government own... Only GOd can save us from slavery and selfish interests of our git leaders...
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by meforyou1(m): 1:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
they are not normal private universities like oyedipo's own. they are owned by the church. madonna - catholic. paul - anglican. and anambrarians are church going people.
all these peter obi posts. is he the only governor in nigeria? what aregbesola of osun whose mixture of religious schools in osun is now causing riot?
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by SirdeKay: 1:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
This is getting too far. You will all remember that this same governor went about donating government money to churches all about the state. Now, the largesse is spreading to private schools. I strongly suspect money laundering, using public funds to secretly acquire shares in these private universities. EFCC and ICPC where are u?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can 1 Person Obtain Two Direct Entry Forms? / How To Pass Waec Exam In One Sitting / Teesside University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.