Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,153 members, 7,842,310 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities (10441 Views)

Tuition Fees In Nigeria Private Universities / List Private Universities In Nigeria / Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by meforyou1(m): 1:42pm On Nov 25, 2013
Bobstar: That's one of the reason ASUU is fighting against government on funding issue.. You see such amount donated to private university and Mr governor will not do that to public university! So pathetic... All they want is to make private university to strive just like their private primary schools and private secondary school have outshorn government own... Only GOd can save us from slavery and selfish interests of our git leaders...
"Obi recently began the intervention in tertiary education in the state with a grant of N5 billion to the state –owned Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu University for infrastructural development" read with your eyes

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by ijbeauty(f): 1:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
4 once I hv heard dat d state govt helped my PRESTIGIOUS skul ( Madonna).
Kudos dearest governor 4 ur kind gestures...
4 all u HATERS ranting here dat its a wrong move, Even if Gov Obi donate to ANSU and NAU, does it affect wat ASUU is fighting 4? 4 once u guys shud appreciate wat d govt does 4 Private uni, cos de help in developing d state and de r among d revenue generating source 4 Anambra state?

Abeg I see notin wrong in wat he did (if its true sha, cos I knw my chancellor).

#no sentiment attached#
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 1:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
me_for_you: they are not normal private universities like oyedipo's own. they are owned by the church. madonna - catholic. paul - anglican. and anambrarians are church going people.
all these peter obi posts. is he the only governor in nigeria? what aregbesola of osun whose mixture of religious schools in osun is now causing riot?

Bia, e na ese gay?! angry

So bloody what if Anambra State people attend these churches.. angry
Do these churches pay any atom of taxes to the government?!
So when non-anglican and Catholic businessmen, workers, pentecostals and civil servants pay taxes to the government to cater for issues that bother on their common interests, Obi will carry it and go and give Catholic and Anglican church..

Maka Chukwu, I ga dim mma i'ma ula... angry
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okaka27(m): 1:46pm On Nov 25, 2013
aventura:
Did you just say elongate?

They will very much jullipate the on going strike to a palpable uxonquency, and that is my fear.
bros abeg calmz down wit dis ur grammer naa,me no understand oo
Take am sufry grin grin
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2013
ijbeauty: 4 once I hv heard dat d state govt helped my PRESTIGIOUS skul ( Madonna).
All u HATERS ranting here dat its a wrong move, dnt d skul pay tax? R de nt among d revenue generating source 4 Anambra state?
Abeg I see notin wrong in wat he did (if its true sha, cos I knw my chancellor).

#no sentiment attached#

Who be this vulcanizer.. angry

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by DONCRIB(m): 1:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
ABEG GOV OBI STOP DECIEVING URSELF, HOW WIL POOR MASSES GOING TO BENEFIT FROM THIS, WE ANAMBRARIAN NEED GOOD ROAD , REDUCTION OF OF SCHOOL FEES BOTH SECONDARY AND TERTIARY INSTITUTION
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
ijbeauty: 4 once I hv heard dat d state govt helped my PRESTIGIOUS skul ( Madonna).
All u HATERS ranting here dat its a wrong move, dnt d skul pay tax? R de nt among d revenue generating source 4 Anambra state?

#no sentiment attached#
I see he wasted his money angry
Pukkah: Is it proper for governments to donate cash to private companies?

Is this not like giving part of the resources of the people (or tax payers' money) to private businesses?

Is the reason given by the Governor (that the schools train Anambra children) good enough? Why can't the Governor continue to build and support the state-owned institutions?

Would those Anambra children pay cheaper fees in those private universities or continue to pay the high fees that all private universities charge?

Does it not amount a misplacement of priorities for a state that cannot boast of adequate supply of drinking water to the people to be funding private businesses?

Why give outright donations rather than loans or grants or investment or concessionary rates for tax and levies?

I think that some day, this bogus and needless donation will be investigated and the Governor may not come out clean.

Brilliant post.
And the sad thing is nobody can do anything about it. Misplaced priorities actually an understatement.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by ijbeauty(f): 1:52pm On Nov 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

Who be this vulcanizer.. angry

Kiss my ass.. Ode
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Youngsage: 1:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
mstcheww.
smh 4 dis country.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 1:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
ijbeauty:
Kiss my ass.. Ode

See Ekuke dey wan form Rotweiller.. grin

You wan upgrade your Yansh to Arss.. grin

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by DCTrendy(m): 1:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
I trust my side of the Country!

Try this in South West as a Governor and see how the people will make you look really bad.

Congrats to the Easterns, always electing thieves!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by skyp(m): 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
This man is just waist state funds any how. it appear to me that these people don't even know what to do with the stae funds anymore.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by tankoemmanuel(m): 1:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
I like what is happening to Anambra state right now. The choice we have made, I repeat, we will surely regret it.
Anambra state doesn't deserve a good leader with human conscience. So we will suffer for supporting APGA; this party built on lies, deceit and Propaganda.

So, we haven't started seeing anything yet. Obiano will deal with Anambra people.
Remember the advert that Anambra state government put on the media about recruiting 5,000 teachers into the state civil service just 2 months before the election? Good. It was all propaganda geared towards winning the just concluded election. Nothing has been done about it since that electoral heist on Nov. 16. Infact the recruitment has not been gazetted! Uptill now

I laugh at my people!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by ijbeauty(f): 2:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

See Ekuke dey wan form Rotweiller.. grin

You wan upgrade your Yansh to Arss.. grin

U sound frustrated,
U can go ahead and hug transformer... Non of my biz.. D money has bin donated weda u like it or not. Sorry cheesy ok?
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 2:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Anambra State needs PDP in their lives..

These APC and APGA fools have nothing to offer the state.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by naptu2: 2:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Question: when did this squandermania and Father Christmas business start?

Who owns those schools?

Consider the answers to these two questions and you'll easily decipher the motive for these donations.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by taharqa: 2:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah:

Kindly direct me to where Peter Obi said the donations are to support specific R and D or other noble initiatives.

Also note that this is not a grant or other forms of non-cash support. Again, what's the stage of development of the state or country that wants to give out cash to private businesses?

Does this action make sense in capitalism? Why should government use public capital to strengthen private businesses?

This is the reason gave by Obi:

You may also provide references of this type of model in those 'Most of d top Schools in d USA' which you stated that they receive 'huge support' from the government.
Will you keep quiet and stop asking me silly questns... I bliv that Govt shld fund Research and Development, as well as maybe Specific interventions, in Every institution of higher learning, for more than 10yrs subject to the limit of Govt's available funds of course. It has always been my belief, and has nothing to do with this particular Anambra case (I do not even know what Gov Obi intended d donated Fund to be used for sef). Even while condemning dat aspect of d ASUU Agreement few weeks ago that forced d FG to practicali take over d funding of State Univs, I made a clear exception to funding specific to Research or other Interventions (for instance, I hv always supported TETFund's interventions in State Univs)... Even in d US like I previously said, Harvard and many of those Great Univs you hear about are Private Schools, yet Govt (tru various Agencies and Special Funds like NASA, Navy, Airforce, Cancer Fund, Nanotechnology Fund, etc) is one of d highest, if not d highest in sm fields, contributor to Research and Development in many of those Univs and others in the country. Lets not allow Sillly Sentiments or Crowd mentality blind us abeg. You may want to question what area and why Gov Obi intended in releasing these interventions/donations (I do too) but don't questn the very essence of Govt's funding of (or, even nonfinancial assistance to) Universities, Public or Private, only just cos sm of them are 'Private Businesses'. Knowledge is Universal
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 2:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
ijbeauty:
U sound frustrated,
U can go ahead and hug transformer... Non of my biz.. D money has bin donated weda u like it or not. Sorry ok? :p

Yeah!! The money has indeed been donated.. Sad! Even worse is that it is to a school that is training Anumanis.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
Hmmm Ndi Igbo.. Nka dikwa strong.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 2:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
naptu2: Question: when did this squandermania and Father Christmas business start?

Who owns those schools?

Consider the answers to these two questions and you'll easily decipher the motive for these donations.

1. The Squandermania started since forever ago. Donating 200 SUVs cars to Chiefs, Cars to Civil service directors, e.t.c

2. The schools belong to Churches
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by naptu2: 2:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

1. The Squandermania started since forever ago. Donating 200 SUVs cars to Chiefs, Cars to Civil service directors, e.t.c

2. The schools belong to Churches

Peter Obi Distributes Cars To Anambra Directors by Princess2be(f): 7:22pm On Nov 19
https://www.nairaland.com/1523947/peter-obi-distributes-cars-anambra

Anambra Distributes 177 Suvs To Traditional Rulers. by aduboy(m): 5:55pm On Jun 17
https://www.nairaland.com/1327940/anambra-distributes-177-suvs-traditional

Obi On A Spending Spree by geeez: 7:30pm On Oct 03
https://www.nairaland.com/1464250/obi-spending-spree

Yes, the schools belong to the Catholic and Anglican churches.

Reminds me of Ibrahim Babangida.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 2:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
taharqa: Will you keep quiet and stop asking me silly questns... I bliv that Govt shld fund Research and Development, as well as maybe Specific interventions, in Every institution of higher learning, for more than 10yrs subject to the limit of Govt's available funds of course. It has always been my belief, and has nothing to do with this particular Anambra case (I do not even know what Gov Obi intended d donated Fund to be used for sef). Even while condemning dat aspect of d ASUU Agreement few weeks ago that forced d FG to practicali take over d funding of State Univs, I made a clear exception to funding specific to Research or other Interventions (for instance, I hv always supported TETFund's interventions in State Univs)... Even in d US like I previously said, Harvard and many of those Great Univs you hear about are Private Schools, yet Govt (tru various Agencies and Special Funds like NASA, Navy, Airforce, Cancer Fund, Nanotechnology Fund, etc) is one of d highest, if not d highest in sm fields, contributor to Research and Development in many of those Univs and others in the country. Lets not allow Sillly Sentiments or Crowd mentality blind us abeg. You may want to question what area and why Gov Obi intended in releasing these interventions/donations (I do too) but don't questn the very essence of Govt's funding of (or, even nonfinancial assistance to) Universities, Public or Private, only just cos sm of them are 'Private Businesses'. Knowledge is Universal

Your stupidity is only exceeded by your idiocy!

I asked very simple questions in a civil manner and you started running your mouth like a locally fabricated generator. Did you just escape from a sanatorium?

Do you think you're talking to one of your fellow bought IDs that have lost every sense of independent and logical reasoning?

The useless, directionless and disjointed post you put up there is a shame to the Nigerian educational system and a bigger shame to your employer.

That post (just like the poster) lacks direction and every line of it reeks of foolishness, ignorance and stupidity.

You would have stayed away from this thread if your IQ figure was higher than the number of fingers on your two hands.

In that case, you would not have effortlessly exposed your boundless ignorance and Level 1 foolishness.

Now run out of this thread and never return with your moronic way of reasoning and being rude to your superiors!

6 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
How does one even start to defend a governor sharing public money to profit making private establishment? Is Peter Obi daft or just trying to look daft. How about plunging that money to the state owned schools until it becomes befitting. If i had my way, i would gather Obi, Orji and Elechi and flog them 100 strokes of the cane each.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by fogunloto: 2:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
[b]I DONT WANT TO BELIEVE THIS STORY.. AND ASUU IS ON STRIKE....[/b]? NA WA FOR THIS COUNTRY OOOO
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by ik4life: 2:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
Just 1 week to election he called every traditional ruler in anambra state and gave each person #1m,similarly he gave each house of assembly member #30m each then my question is how will all this money be accounted for?,why all this reckless donations,bribery and spending at the tale end of his tenure?,EFCC have a big task to execute in anambra state after march 17,that is if abuja will allow that.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by kola639: 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
this is an example of what Ifeanyi Ubah always campaign against. Ubah always talk on wasteful spending of state money unconstitutional
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Guyman02: 2:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah: Is it proper for governments to donate cash to private companies?

Is this not like giving part of the resources of the people (or tax payers' money) to private businesses?

Even Obama gave bailout money to GM and Ford motors because the create jobs for Americans just like those private institutions do within their locality in Anambra.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Feraz(m): 3:00pm On Nov 25, 2013
This doesn't make sense at all. How about using that money to start up something the state can keep sustaining say a large farmland thereby getting a certain number of people off the streets and making profits from the farmland? The way Peter is beginning to dole out cash calls for concern.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by sayso: 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
Putting money away for some one to pick it up from there.
POLITICS.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
Guyman02:

Even Obama gave bailout money to GM and Ford motors because the create jobs for Americans just like those private institutions do within their locality in Anambra.

You're wrong.

The bailout money during the recession and auto industry crisis was not free money as Obi is doing.

The bailout of GM and Chysler, which was properly debated and approved, actually gave the American government the right to shares which it has started selling. It was like injecting cash into the company as a shareholder.

Do you want to come up with another reason why you think this action of Obi makes sense?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) School Fees Schedule For 2013/2014 / ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike / Download 2000 Proverbs / 2000 Inspirational Quotes Into Your Java-enabled Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.