Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,208 members, 7,842,533 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities (10442 Views)

Tuition Fees In Nigeria Private Universities / List Private Universities In Nigeria / Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by MRL1MPoPoTM: 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
ijbeauty: 4 once I hv heard dat d state govt helped my PRESTIGIOUS skul ( Madonna).
Kudos dearest governor 4 ur kind gestures...
4 all u HATERS ranting here dat its a wrong move, Even if Gov Obi donate to ANSU and NAU, does it affect wat ASUU is fighting 4? 4 once u guys shud appreciate wat d govt does 4 Private uni, cos de help in developing d state and de r among d revenue generating source 4 Anambra state?

Abeg I see notin wrong in wat he did (if its true sha, cos I knw my chancellor).

#no sentiment attached#

1000 likes
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by crackhouse(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah: Is it proper for governments to donate cash to private companies?

Is this not like giving part of the resources of the people (or tax payers' money) to private businesses?

Is the reason given by the Governor (that the schools train Anambra children) good enough? Why can't the Governor continue to build and support the state-owned institutions?

Would those Anambra children pay cheaper fees in those private universities or continue to pay the high fees that all private universities charge?

Does it not amount a misplacement of priorities for a state that cannot boast of adequate supply of drinking water to the people to be funding private businesses?

Why give outright donations rather than loans or grants or investment or concessionary rates for tax and levies?

I think that some day, this bogus and needless donation will be investigated and the Governor may not come out clean.
u may be right but I know that money will surely come back to govt by way of tax. so relax.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 3:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah:

Your stupidity is only exceeded by your idiocy!

I asked very simple questions in a civil manner and you started running your mouth like a locally fabricated generator. Did you just escape from a sanatorium?

Do you think you're talking to one of your fellow bought IDs that have lost every sense of independent and logical reasoning?

The useless, directionless and disjointed post you put up there is a shame to the Nigerian educational system and a bigger shame to your employer.

That post (just like the poster) lacks direction and every line of it reeks of foolishness, ignorance and stupidity.

You would have stayed away from this thread if your IQ figure was higher than the number of fingers on your two hands.

In that case, you would not have effortlessly exposed your boundless ignorance and Level 1 foolishness.

Now run out of this thread and never return with your moronic way of reasoning and being rude to your superiors!

Una been dey quarrel before?! shocked shocked
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 3:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
crackhouse: u may be right but I know that money will surely come back to govt by way of tax. so relax.

Is this not like saying that the state government should make donations to the brewery, private secondary schools, banks, transport business, real estate companies and farms that are in the state because they'll also pay taxes?

Or taken further, is it not like saying that the state government should also donate to individuals because they'll also pay taxes?

By the way, the mere fact that you pay taxes does not entitle you to free government money.

You're supposed to pay taxes as a civic responsibility because of what you already enjoy. Or are you saying there's no basis for the two privates universities to pay taxes unless they get free money from government?
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by DCTrendy(m): 3:42pm On Nov 25, 2013
Some people re here justifying this reckless spending o... And u know what, some of them re in Anambra and can't even afford 3 sqaure meal per day but because they like Apga, the re ok with their commen wealth being squandared!

Go and check it, @ d tail end of every tenure in naija, public office holders always spend this way.

I wish am the EFCC boss, it ll be hard for the judges to get their annual leave in this Country.

Rob them dry Peter, they re already supporting you from here. Suffering n smiling fearful people, Thabo Nbeki just talked about una.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by ik4life: 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
kola639: this is an example of what Ifeanyi Ubah always campaign against. Ubah always talk on wasteful spending of state money unconstitutional
yet they called him a criminal,rogue and an illiterate but now the chicken is coming home to roast and we are seeing the bigger criminals who posture themselves as saints.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 3:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

Una been dey quarrel before?! shocked shocked

He asked for it. He simply harvested what he planted together with multiple fruits.

Those who sow the wind will reap a whirlwind.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Ddy(m): 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
He is very foolish. Cant he use dis cash he is distributing to change d face awka to look like capital. even if he put street light from.entrance of Anambra from Enugu to Onitsha head bridge. Tufia kwa
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah:

Is this not like saying that the state government should make donations to the brewery, private secondary schools, banks, transport business, real estate companies and farms that are in the state because they'll also pay taxes?

Like that Obogwu called Ijeoma said, its a kind gesture.. grin Well, I didnt attend Madonna or that other school.. And I pay my taxes. So he should come and donate some billions to either British American Tobacco, Association of ndi na e're goof, Hero Lager breweries or directly to my shrine.. grin Afterall, we all render important services to Ndi Anambra state and the eastern region.. grin

Let Obi contribute 100 million Naira to hero brewery, afterall they have been supplying ndi Anambra with alcohol at pump price.. grin

Also contribute to a condom factory, because they have been helping to control Anambra population.. grin

I will take it a step beyond Obi..

What is this trend with Nigerian Government and donating public funds with reckless abandon only to go and borrow money later to fund developmental programmes like infrastructures and co..

Is it that we dont carry out proper budgeting for the allocations that these governors are getting?!

ALL Governors, barr non are guilty of this. In Odili's era, it was buses and money.

As long as we give governors blanket powers to be dashing out our money as they like, then I'm sorry, we cant complain.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 3:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
DC Trendy: Some people re here justifying this reckless spending o... And u know what, some of them re in Anambra and can't even afford 3 sqaure meal per day but because they like Apga, the re ok with their commen wealth being squandared!

Go and check it, @ d tail end of every tenure in naija, public office holders always spend this way.

I have been saying it here for so long: the followership in Nigeria has become as much of a problem as the leadership.

People who don't have a cluout where their next meal will come from defend thieving government officials.

Have you noticed that human rights activists are getting fewer and fewer in Nigeria?

The problems are getting more and more complex.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 3:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah:

I have been saying it here for so long: the followership in Nigeria has become as much of a problem as the leadership.

People who don't have a cluout where their next meal will come from defend thieving government officials.

Have you noticed that human rights activists are getting fewer and fewer in Nigeria?

The problems are getting more and more complex.

Nigerians dont care for their rights.. grin

F|uck it.. We dont even know if we have rights.. grin

Hells.. WTF is 'rights'?! Is that a turn on the road?!

grin
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 3:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

Like that Obogwu called Ijeoma said, its a kind gesture.. grin

Let Obi contribute 100 million Naira to a brewery, afterall they have been supplying ndi Anambra with alcohol at pump price.. grin

Also contribute to a condom factory, because they have been helping to control Anambra population.. grin

I will take it a step beyond Obi..

What is this trend with Nigerian Government and donating public funds with reckless abandon only to go and borrow money later to fund developmental programmes like infrastructures and co..

Is it that we dont carry out proper budgeting for the allocations that these governors are getting?!

ALL Governors, barr non are guilty of this. In Odili's era, it was buses and money.

As long as we give governors blanket powers to be dashing out our money as they like, then I'm sorry, we cant complain.

Nigerians are becoming more and more apathetic by the day and the thieves in government are taking massive advantage of this passivity on the part of the people.

The rest of the people who aren't passive support the thieving officials in a blind and shocking manner. I was even too shocked to respond to the poster you referref to.

All in all, there's a conducive environment for corruption. Arguably, there has not been a better time for corruption in the annals of Nigerian history than now.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by MRL1MPoPoTM: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah:

Your stupidity is only exceeded by your idiocy!

I asked very simple questions in a civil manner and you started running your mouth like a locally fabricated generator. Did you just escape from a sanatorium?

Do you think you're talking to one of your fellow bought IDs that have lost every sense of independent and logical reasoning?

The useless, directionless and disjointed post you put up there is a shame to the Nigerian educational system and a bigger shame to your employer.

That post (just like the poster) lacks direction and every line of it reeks of foolishness, ignorance and stupidity.

You would have stayed away from this thread if your IQ figure was higher than the number of fingers on your two hands.

In that case, you would not have effortlessly exposed your boundless ignorance and Level 1 foolishness.

Now run out of this thread and never return with your moronic way of reasoning and being rude to your superiors!

Dude,taharaq made a salient & plausible point with his post, so hauling your otiose invectives on him doesn't make your argument stronger rather it exudes how vulnerable you're..

I dnt see anythin hideous wit Gov. Obi's munificent gesture, afteral it's a popular maxim that knowledge is universal and this cn nvr be overemphasised!

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

Nigerians dont care for their rights.. grin

F|uck it.. We dont even know if we have rights.. grin

Hells.. WTF is 'rights'?! Is that a turn on the road?!

grin

You're a funny man but you're saying the truth.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by gentlegg(m): 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
One day Peter Obi will end up as Peter Ibori. That guy is a born conman, where on earth do government dash out money to private business without any interest whatsoever, not even a loan? Had he given the money to 200 Anambra graduates 1,000,000 each for small/medium scale entrepreneurship, just imagine how far poverty would have been relegated in the state. I know some dolts will come here to tell me that he could have absconded with the whole money while going next year, rather he is working with the money. Hey, Peter Obi is a professor when it comes to siphoning government untraceable, ask GEJ. The smartest way is by all these inconsequential, inflated frivolous expenditures with a ginormous kickbacks, ask Oduah. Please ask Peter Obi why these munificence in his twilight days of power. Gifting out tax payers money without their consent. Hmmm Igbo governor in Igbo party voted by ndi Igbo indeed. Peace.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

Dude,taharaq made a salient & plausible point with his post, so hauling your otiose invectives on him doesn't make your argument stronger rather it exudes how vulnerable you're..

I dnt see anythin hideous wit the Gov. Obi's munificent gesture, afteral it's a popular maxim that knowledge is universal and this cn nvr be overemphasised!

You were too blind to see what's wrong with the Governor's action.

You were too blind to see that the misguided poster you referred to fired the first salvo.

Now, open your eyes and read again since you've chosen to carry taharqa's can:

Where in the world do governments give money to private businesses without tying it to anything?

The reason that Peter Obi adduced is that the schools train Anambra children. What sense does this make? Are there no other businesses (brewery, hospitals, transporters, farm, etc) that could say they get their patronage from Anambra people?

Are the private universities not charging fees for the knowledge they impart?

I'm waiting...educate me.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 4:17pm On Nov 25, 2013
gentlegg: Had he given the money to 200 Anambra graduates 1,000,000 each for small/medium scale entrepreneurship, just imagine how far poverty would have been relegated in the state.

I would have commended him if he had given a loan of N500,000 each to 400 struggling traders at say 5% interest rate per annum.

I would not have condemned the move if the N200m to the two universities was a long term loan or to be used to train Anambra indigenes FREE OF CHARGE for a stated number of years. In which case, it would be like an upfront payment from the state which the schools can use to expand or improve their capacity. Even here, there are a number of bolts to be well-tightened and firm agreements to be made or guarantees given.

No responsible government official throws money around senselessly.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by grandpoh(m): 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2013
that money is enough 2 start another university project
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by MRL1MPoPoTM: 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pukkah:

You were too blind to see what's wrong with the Governor's action.

You were too blind to see that the misguided poster you referred to fired the first salvo.

Now, open your eyes and read again since you've chosen to carry taharqa's can:

Where in the world do governments give money to private businesses without tying it to anything?

The reason that Peter Obi adduced is that the schools train Anambra children. What sense does this make? Are there no other businesses (brewery, hospitals, transporters, farm, etc) that could say they get their patronage from Anambra people?

Are the private universities not charging fees for the knowledge they impart?

I'm waiting...educate me.

Holme you'r just bn pig-headed, daft and hebetudinous,and it nauseats! How on earth do you expect a nascent university like P.U to properly function and carry out multifarious n complex research programmes without any assistance or help from the govt??

For crying out loud!! It's lucid that their tuition fee's vry exiguous compared to what they charg in covenant,babcock and other five-star standard universities.

So they fully deserv whatevr that is bn remitted to them. afteral they also nurture and impact tremendously in the lives of Nigerians. it would yield cynics like you more dividend if u can jus jettison all this hate and calumny u've for private unis; and see them as a plain citadel of learnin not mindin whose investment it is.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

Holme you'r just bn pig-headed, daft and hebetudinous,and it nauseats! How on earth do you expect a nascent university like P.U to properly function and carry out multifarious n complex research programmes without any assistance or help from the govt??

For crying out loud!! It's lucid that their tuition fee's vry exiguous compared to what they charg in covenant,babcock and other five-star standard universities.

So they fully deserv whatevr that is bn remitted to them. afteral they also nurture and impact tremendously in the lives of Nigerians. so it would yield ppl like you more dividend if u can jus jettison all this hate and calumny u've for private unis; and see them, both private and public university as a citadel of learnin. simple notwithstanding.

Who be this onye anwurunma?!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by MRL1MPoPoTM: 5:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
^^ Im allergic to mannequins. E0D.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 5:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:
^^ Im allergic to mannequins. E0D.

Wetin carry you go near mannequin in the first place?!

Abi you be tailor?!
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 5:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
«—M®×L¹MPºPº ™:

So they fully deserv whatevr that is bn remitted to them. afteral they also nurture and impact tremendously in the lives of Nigerians. it would yield cynics like you more dividend if u can jus jettison all this hate and calumny u've for private unis; and see them as a plain citadel of learnin not mindin whose investment it is.

You're only throwing around words without making sense or addressing the issues the same way that Peter Obi is throwing around money.

Take this into your head: government can support private universities but not by giving free money!

Were you too lazy to read?

I asked you, where in the world do governments give free money to private businesses, be they schools, hospitals or construction companies? Which government gives cash into private concerns without strings attached? There are so many ways to support private businesses without doling out cash like this.

Did anyone force the owners of the universities to open them or why are you making it sound like government must give them 'awoof' money? Are they no collecting school fees? Are they no making profit?

I think you need to tell those who sent you that they should replace you with brighter person who can address the issues.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by elari(m): 6:15pm On Nov 25, 2013
i am really begining to wonder the advisers employed by this guvnor recently
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 6:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
elari: i am really begining to wonder the advisers employed by this guvnor recently

The advisers may not be advising him rightly or properly; or he may be the one not listening to advice.

Nevertheless, the thoughtless and careless manner he's throwing money around may come back to haunt him.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by soulglo: 6:44pm On Nov 25, 2013
For all the aggressive attitude that almost all Nigerians display it never fails to amaze me how Nigerians are just cool with their elected officials screwing them in the ass with no lubrication. The way the article was worded annoys me. "Governor Obi donates...". Who the hell is he to donate anything? If anything you say "The state gave...". You people keep encouraging these criminals. It is not his money to give and even questionable for the state to hand that amount of money over to private schools. Is there a commissioner of Education? Why is Governor Obi even involved. Why are people elected to different offices when it seems like it is always the governor this and the governor that. SMH. As always finding a good and effective leader in Nigeria is like finding a needle in a hay stack.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Proxytalk: 7:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
All of you ranting and calling Obi names are either bis myopic or even foolish. In anambra state of today its now common to see over 80% students especially in misionary sch getting 9 credits in ssce. infact the state govt need to build 1 more uni . The gov gave 5bn to ansu nobody said anything.just 200m to madonna and st paul u people are ranting. See st paul that is struggling with acreditation, of which this money can go a long way. And remember both are faith based uni that charge lower fees.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by fallingsky(m): 9:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
When u av pigs in d helm of affairs anything is possible
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 10:06pm On Nov 25, 2013
soul_glo: For all the aggressive attitude that almost all Nigerians display it never fails to amaze me how Nigerians are just cool with their elected officials screwing them in the ass with no lubrication. The way the article was worded annoys me. "Governor Obi donates...". Who the hell is he to donate anything? If anything you say "The state gave...". You people keep encouraging these criminals. It is not his money to give and even questionable for the state to hand that amount of money over to private schools. Is there a commissioner of Education? Why is Governor Obi even involved. Why are people elected to different offices when it seems like it is always the governor this and the governor that. SMH. As always finding a good and effective leader in Nigeria is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

You've made very good points but what's the fundamental difference between 'gave' and 'donated'? The noun of 'give' is 'gift' while that of 'donate' is 'donation'.
Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Okijajuju1(m): 10:10pm On Nov 25, 2013
Proxytalk: All of you ranting and calling Obi names are either bis myopic or even foolish. In anambra state of today its now common to see over 80% students especially in misionary sch getting 9 credits in ssce. infact the state govt need to build 1 more uni . The gov gave 5bn to ansu nobody said anything.just 200m to madonna and st paul u people are ranting. See st paul that is struggling with acreditation, of which this money can go a long way. And remember both are faith based uni that charge lower fees.

Who owns Anambra State University? The State... That's why Anambra State students can attend school at a lesser fee because the taxes of their parents is what built the school.

Tax payers money is to be used for the benefit of the common interest of the public like build Public Schools, Public Libraries, Public water supply, Public Roads, Public interests not finance privately owned institutions and businesses.

If he can give Private schools Public money, then all privately owned business should also get the same free money.

It's either you don't understand what government is and what public funds are meant to be used for or you just need Jesus.

If Nigeria was a sane society, Gov. obi should be facing an impeachment committee right now. That's how he used state funds to buy SUVs for chiefs. Do you even know that the churches that own these schools don't pay taxes? Do you know how many roads he could have built with 200million Naira? Or even provide a loan facility to the many Anambra state small scale business owners that could use this money to not only expand their businesses and employ more Anambra state youths, but also repay the money to the government with a premium?

It's illegal to use public funds to fund private entities, period.

It's like Jonathan giving public money to Oyedepo to finance his mega churches or to Dangote to finance his business.

You need to stop reasoning like an Obogwu.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Donates N200m To Private Universities by Pukkah: 10:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
Proxytalk: All of you ranting and calling Obi names are either bis myopic or even foolish. In anambra state of today its now common to see over 80% students especially in misionary sch getting 9 credits in ssce. infact the state govt need to build 1 more uni . The gov gave 5bn to ansu nobody said anything.just 200m to madonna and st paul u people are ranting. See st paul that is struggling with acreditation, of which this money can go a long way. And remember both are faith based uni that charge lower fees.

See this moronic poster that is introducing his muddled up and upside down post with insults being thrown at his betters.

He has even compounded the plight of his god (Peter Obi) by adding a faith angle as if Nigeria were a non-secular country.

He's talking about a struggling university when we have previously talked about GM and Chrysler's bailout on this same thread and the fundamental differences between that case and this one.

Look at the way he addressed the money given to Anambra State University by the state government! Gosh! People dey for this country o!

I've talked about him in the third person singular form because his IQ is third rated. He's the type of person that makes outsiders think that third world countries are entirely populated with morons.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amusing Inscriptions On Shirts As Final Year Students Sign Out / ASUU To Meet FG Again On Strike / Download 2000 Proverbs / 2000 Inspirational Quotes Into Your Java-enabled Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.