Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,865 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

"Why Are There So Many Denominations?" - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" (4288 Views)

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / So Many Denominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 4:59am On Dec 06, 2013
adsonstone:

No it is not.

Is it also a crime to question you?

It is a travesty to only question Catholics.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2013
The essentials of the Christian faith are so clear that they’re unmistakable, but in secondary issues, you have a very complex Scripture that people can misunderstand. I mean the biblical faith is simple enough for a child to understand, in terms of its essential Christian doctrine, but deep enough for a theologian to drown in. So when you get into something that’s a reflection of God Himself, for example, the nature of God is such that finite people can never fully comprehend it. We can apprehend it in Scripture but we can’t fully comprehend it. So you can imagine something that is so sophisticated may be something we can misunderstand unless we spend the time studying the Scriptures and that’s why as Christians we don’t say, "I’m a Lone Ranger Christian," we stand on the shoulders of giants who have gone before us so that we can learn from them.

~ Hank Hanegraaff | http://www.equip.org/audio/why-did-god-allow-for-the-misinterpretation-of-his-word/
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by adsonstone: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
italo:

It is a travesty to only question Catholics.

It is NOT travesty.

The way you answer for the RCC is travesty.

By the way, you have failed to answer what I asked and also defend what you said (that those who think Peter's life teachings are in those epistles) are dull ones.

So, permit me to see you as a 'duller' one (who believes Peter's life teachings are not in those epistles yet, unable to provide just two of Peter's teaching outside the Epistle....perhaps, from tradition).
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by italo: 4:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
adsonstone:

It is NOT travesty.

The way you answer for the RCC is travesty.

By the way, you have failed to answer what I asked and also defend what you said (that those who think Peter's life teachings are in those epistles) are dull ones.

So, permit me to see you as a 'duller' one (who believes Peter's life teachings are not in those epistles yet, unable to provide just two of Peter's teaching outside the Epistle....perhaps, from tradition).
^^^
Are these the bible verses showing essential and non-essential doctrines I requested?
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:29pm On Dec 15, 2013
The first thing is that you have to have to understand essential Christian doctrine. All genuine Christians whether you're an Episcopalian, or a Lutheran, or a Presbyterian, or a Baptist, all genuine Christians believe in the essentials of the Christian faith, which really starts with the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ and ends with salvation by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone.

It's not what we do but what Jesus Christ has done for us. Jesus paid it all through his passion on the cross. So the essentials become now the core of what it means to become a Christian. Now as a Christian there are various ways in which we see church government, that's called ecclesiology, and you can differ over that without dividing over that…If Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me" (John 14:6) and someone says, "You know there are many roads that lead to God," well, it doesn't matter what brand they call themselves, if they call themselves a Catholic or a Presbyterian, they are not a believer in the essentials of the Christian faith that codify what it means to be a Christian. "There is a way that seems right unto a man but the ends thereof, the Bible says, are the ways of death" (Prov. 14:12).

~ Hank Hanegraaff | http://www.equip.org/audio/which-denomination-has-the-correct-teaching/
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:49pm On Nov 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

This article satisfies all your objections including that of the OP.

"In the early 1500s, a German monk named Martin Luther was so conscious of his sins that he spent up to six hours in the confessional. Through study of the Scriptures he found that salvation didn't come through anything he did, but simply through trusting in the finished work of the cross of Jesus Christ. He listed the contradictions between what the Scriptures said and what his church taught, and nailed his "95 Thesis" to the church door in Wittenberg, Germany.

Martin Luther became the first to "protest" against the Roman church, and thus he became the father of the Protestant church. Since that split, there have been many disagreements about how much water one should baptise with, how to sing what and why, who should govern who, etc, causing thousands of splinter groups. Many of these groups are convinced that they alone are right. These have become known as Protestant "denominations." Despite the confusion, these churches subscribe to certain foundational beliefs such as the deity, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Bible says, "The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his (2 Timothy 2:19)
"

"Thomas Jefferson once wrote of a preacher, Richard Mote, "who "exclaimed aloud to his congregation that he did not believe there was a Quaker, Presbyterian, Methodist or Baptist in heaven, having paused to give his hearers time to stare and to wonder. He added that, in heaven, God knew no distinctions"

"For the Lord knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish" (Psalms 1:6).- The Evidence Bible.

The matter of the heart is the heart of the matter. wink
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2014
Enigma:
Per Eusebius of Caesarea

"... as Scripture says: ‘Upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it’; and elsewhere: ‘The rock, moreover, was Christ.’ For, as the Apostle indicates with these words: ‘No other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Christ Jesus.’ Then, too, after the Savior himself, you may rightly judge the foundations of the Church to be the words of the prophets and apostles, in accordance with the statement of the Apostle: ‘Built upon the foundation of the apostles and the prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone.’"

smiley

Well said.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 3:11).

There you go, Christ is the foundation of the Christian faith. Just as the doctrine of creation is the foundation of the life of the universe, our Lord Jesus Christ was the Creator before He became the Redeemer. The record of His creation in the book of Genesis is the foundation of all revelation. Jesus Christ, first as Creator, then as Redeemer, is the foundation of any true and lasting Christian life. How then is Peter the foundation?

Like I said before, the doctrines respecting the Person, offices and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ are the only foundation of the gospel. If anyone has to build they have to build on this foundation, not on Peter. What are these doctrines?

Doctrines of His proper deity; of His divine and eternal Sonship; of His Incarnation; of His Messiahship; of His Obedience; of His Suffering and death and bodily resurrection; Justification by His righteousness; Pardon by His blood; atonement by His sacrifice, etc.

If the Church was built on Peter there would have been nothing called Christianity today.

Succintly answered.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

"As it is written, Behold, I lay in Zion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believes on Him shall not be ashamed" (Romans 9:33).

Jesus Christ is the rock of my salvation.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05pm On Nov 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Let's see what reputable bible scholars say about those verse, shall we?

"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone" (Ephesians 2:20).

Ephesians 2:20

2:20 foundation of the apostles. The "foundation of the apostles and prophets," upon which the great house must be built, clearly refers to the Scriptures which they wrote under divine inspiration. Note Ephesians 3:3-5. The New Testament was given "by revelation" (Ephesians 3:3), "revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit" (Ephesians 3:5). This revelation was first preached verbally to the early churches, but then amplified, expounded and codified in writing—writings which soon came to be recognized as the "canon"—that is the measuring rule—of New Testament Scripture. Once this "foundation" was laid, when the Scriptures were finally completed through the last living apostle and prophet, then the superstructure of this "holy temple in the Lord" (Ephesians 2:21) could be erected, stone by stone, as we all are being "builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:22). It is especially important to remember that the foundation is already complete. Nothing further can be added to the inspired Scriptures. The last apostle, John, strongly emphasized this in his final words (Revelation 22:18,19). Thus any later "prophet," professing to have some new revelation from God, is thereby branded a "false prophet" (note Matthew 24:24).

Ephesians 2:20

2:20 chief corner stone. The Lord Jesus Christ is the chief corner stone around and upon which the foundation itself has been built. He as Son of God is also the "Rock" upon which the church is built (Matthew 16:18 ). Furthermore, "other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 3:11); He must be the foundation of each redeemed life. Note also such related Scriptures as Psalm 118:22; Isaiah 28:16; Matthew 7:24-25; I Peter 2:3-8; and finally Revelation 21:14-21.

Who is the chief corner stone? Jesus.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:07pm On Nov 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Hand waving right? What you should have done was to show us how I twisted the Scriptures instead of hand waving as you have just done.

Anyways. Can you tell us how these doctrines were built on Peter since you insist that Peter is your "rock"

Tell me whether this is the Church of Christ or not?

Here are just a few examples of the continual evolution of pagan practices brought into the Roman Catholic Church, starting in 310 A.D.:

Prayers for the dead were introduced in 310
The lighting of candles in 320
The worship of saints about 375
The mass was adopted in 394
The worship of Mary began to develop about 432
Priests began to assume distinctive robes in 500
The doctrine of purgatory was introduced in 593
Worship in Latin (since repealed) was mandated in 600
Claims to Papal Supremacy took firm foot in 606
Feasts in honor of the Virgin Mary began in 650
The custom of kissing the Pope's foot was introduced in 709
The worship of images and relics was authorized in 788
The invention of holy water was about 850
The canonization of saints was formalized in 993
Feasts for the dead were introduced in 1003
The celibacy of the priesthood was declared in 1074
The dogma of Papal infallibility was announced in 1076
Prayer beads were introduced in 1090
The doctrine that there are seven sacraments was introduced in 1140
The sale of indulgences began in 1190
The wafer was substituted for the loaf in 1200
The dogma of transubstantiation was adopted in 1215
Confession was instituted in 1215
The adoration of the Wafer began in 1220
The Ave Maria was introduced in 1316
The cup was taken from the laity in 1415
Purgatory was officially decreed in 1439
Roman tradition was placed on the same level as Scripture in 1546
The Apocrypha was received into the Canon in 1546
The immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary was announced in 1854
The doctrine of the papal infallibility was proclaimed in 1864
The personal corporeal presence of the Virgin in heaven in 1950

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n2042.cfm

Why claim you follow Peter as your "Rock" yet ignore his teachings?  Did Peter teach or practice any of the the above traditions?

Martin Luther was right to have protested these additions to the doctrines of Christ.
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I'll leave you with the words of our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ:

"Jesus said to them, Did you never read the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes? Therefore say I to you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. And whosoever shall fall on this stone shall be broken: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder" (Matthew 21:42-44).

And Apostle Peter said:

"Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believes on him shall not be confounded. To you therefore which believe he is precious: but to them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed" (1 Peter 2:6-8 ).

I can only hope that you are not stumbling at the "rock" as the Jews did? or are you on the Greek road?
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
Reasons for Denominational differences.

http://youtu.be/QESxxJ DLORA
Re: "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04pm On Oct 19, 2019
Sidetracked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All Atheist Must Read This / Muhammad's Opinions:were They Divine Revelations From Allah?� / The Story Of Jos Killings In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.