Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers (14330 Views)

My Blog Design Vs Ogbonge Blog / Ogbonge Blog Has Been Hacked ? / My Alexa Ranking Is Now in 1st 200 NG- Thanks To The Ogbonge Seo Masters Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 25, 2013
Hi I own the blog . I recently read Jide's Ogbonge blog and I felt so sorry for him

Google had delisted his ogbonge blogger blog and counted it as spam.

Now my question is, does this issue make self-hosted wordpress ie wordpress.org better and more preferred
that ?

Does that mean that Nigerian bloggers, who mainly host their blogs at , should begin to think twice
so that they do not wake up to realise they have lost their means of livelihood just because google took
an arbitrary decision?

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Slyr0x: 9:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
There must have been a valid reason.

Linda Ikeji has been on the ..com platform for as long as I can remember and she's not had any issues

2 Likes

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Seun(m): 6:30pm On Nov 26, 2013
--

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by ichommy(m): 6:50pm On Nov 26, 2013
Google spamBot makes an error after Jide redesign his Blog.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 27, 2013
There are other people who have been on the platform for so long and yet, they wake up one day to realize
that, they do not own their blogs again.

Jide fought google and got his blog restored. This is a clear sign that google had wrongly classified his blog as spam
Google has many rules that keep changing that, I wonder if the workers at google and their computers really know
all the rules google is working by. Does it raise any hopes for using selfhosted wordpress?

Slyr0x: There must have been a valid reason.

Linda Ikeji has been on the ..com platform for as long as I can remember and she's not had any issues
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 27, 2013
Emmanauel,

Does that mean we do not have the right to redesign our blogs anymore?
Can we not change the look of our blog if we do not like them?
ichommy: Google spamBot makes an error after Jide redesign his Blog.

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by bizfirst: 11:14am On Nov 27, 2013
Seun: --

Just like Askimet, there is what is called FALSE POSITIVE when crawlers and bots comb up the web.

Back to the thread. No blogger should risk hosting on . For all the arguments for it, it's simply not worth it. The reasons for going the wordpress way are numerous:

1. Wordpress has got thousands of premium and free theme/plugins blogger can only dream of.
2. You get better organic traffic on WP than blogger. This is so because of the comprehensive SEO plugins like SEOPressor and Wordpress SEO by Yoast. There is nothing like that for blogger I know of. Bloggers who use blogger generally blog carrying out on page SEO in their brains grin
3. The WP community is quite large and an enthusiastic one. Everyday, someone migrates from blogger to WP. All those blogger can't be mistaken.
4. What happened to Jide cannot happen to you. At worst, you'll restore from a backup and life will simply go on!

Think WP!

4 Likes

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 27, 2013
#bizfirst#:

Just like Askimet, there is what is called FALSE POSITIVE when crawlers and bots comb up the web.

Back to the thread. No blogger should risk hosting on . For all the arguments for it, it's simply not worth it. The reasons for going the wordpress way are numerous:

1. Wordpress has got thousands of premium and free theme/plugins blogger can only dream of.
2. You get better organic traffic on WP than blogger. This is so because of the comprehensive SEO plugins like SEOPressor and Wordpress SEO by Yoast. There is nothing like that for blogger I know of. Bloggers who use blogger generally blog carrying out on page SEO in their brains grin
3. The WP community is quite large and an enthusiastic one. Everyday, someone migrates from blogger to WP. All those blogger can't be mistaken.
4. What happened to Jide cannot happen to you. At worst, you'll restore from a backup and life will simply go on!

Think WP!

Akaahan, you have raised an interesting point. But wont the argument wordpress or blogger still continue considering that
many people want to start off blogging without incurring any cost? Popular Nigerian bloggers like Linda Ikeji are also hosting
their blogs on . What do you have to say to that.

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by checkdate(m): 3:55pm On Nov 27, 2013
YOU ARE A KIND NIGERIA
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by iamdsam: 3:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Linda Ikeji has been around in the blogging world blogger to be precise for a while now and she hasn't had any problem of any sort like that with blogger. I believe there's more to what made blogger to deactivate or scramble his site. He might not want to reveal the whole truth.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
Not again! I ddnt make it to comment first! Y now!!!! Anyways check this out www.nairaland.com/1533496/funny-facts-tasued-students
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by akinalabi(m): 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2013
If you are on free blogger, that is ., you do not own the blog.

Google owns it.

And they can do anything they want with it.

5 Likes

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by akinalabi(m): 4:00pm On Nov 27, 2013
bizjesecons:

The blog belongs to google.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by PezzoNovante(m): 4:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
Dat is why I don't like free things...

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2013
#bizfirst#:

Think WP!
hm!
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by FdsunnEX(m): 4:06pm On Nov 27, 2013
i also own a blog http://ourowngist..com how do i now know that the blog is not listed
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by mrphysics(m): 4:07pm On Nov 27, 2013
am a blogger, God have been helping me, pls incase u want to knw my blog u can visit https://naijatalk4u..com for informations that can make front page
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 27, 2013
Blogger still remains the best. let us not write it off because of what happened to obgonge blog. Wordpress has its own downsides as well

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by JustGuy(m): 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
Please I need some help!
I've always wanted to own a site; but the conditions at are just too much. Does WordPress host your site as well, or are there any free hosts that I can use for a start? Thanks!
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by ismokeweed1(f): 4:10pm On Nov 27, 2013
--
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by teey2(f): 4:13pm On Nov 27, 2013
please someone tell me what happened?? I'm lost undecided
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by ichommy(m): 4:14pm On Nov 27, 2013
bizjesecons: Emmanauel,

Not your Blog, It's google property.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by mrofficial(m): 4:14pm On Nov 27, 2013
is mostly for people that do not earn any income from blogging.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by sammyyoung2(m): 4:14pm On Nov 27, 2013
--
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Ptoocool(m): 4:15pm On Nov 27, 2013
Google dey madt ni??

BTW, RIP to your blog bro..
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
People click on "Agreed" without reading terms and conditions.

It's clearly written on the terms and condition page; blogs hosted on blogger belongs to Google inc.

--------------------------------
I once had issues with my host company, they threatened to take my site offline, because I couldn't control spam comments, I requested for a refund, they attached a screenshot of their company's TOS to an email forwarded to me in response to my request. TOS is a great way to force clients into signing a death warrant, often it's too lengthy to read and they're not written in modern English, which makes it very difficult to understand.

3 Likes

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by KillMoves: 4:17pm On Nov 27, 2013
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by tellwisdom: 4:18pm On Nov 27, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

So you are happy that your spam bots ban anyhow without any valid reason 80% of the time? undecided

Na wao

2 Likes

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by mrofficial(m): 4:21pm On Nov 27, 2013
JustGuy: Please I need some help!
I've always wanted to own a site; but the conditions at are just too much. Does WordPress host your site as well, or are there any free hosts that I can use for a start? Thanks!

WP doesn't host site. It's a blog platform which can be installed to your hosting. Most web hosting companies use cPanel and usually has WP setup.

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by yomalex(m): 4:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
google owns and disowns
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by adewasco2k(m): 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2013
WordPress anytime, any-day, you get to see thousands of WordPress plugins/themes which helps to achieve great SEO practices with just few clicks.

You you are not planning to make money from blogging sure you can use but if you want to eventually earn something from blogging just hit for self hosted WordPress.

The only thing i have noticed with WordPress is security, you have to write very strict Rewrite rule in your htaccess, make sure to update your WordPress/themes/plugins always to avoid been hacked, and Joomla have better security, correct me if i am wrong.

WP-user/Developer
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Youpele52: 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2013
Always wanted to be blogger since 2009, but couldn't get it how bloggers make money from their blogs, especially that bloggers in Nigeria are disenfranchise to most of the money making scheme that Google blog spot gives. Especially that of the number of visitors clicks and ads.
So I migrated to wattpad.com for novelist, short story writers, playwright, poet (like myself). And post my poems there. Still interested in blog-writing so I signed up for www.tumblr.com. I signed up for Wordpress but till today I tumblog every other day and care less of my Wordpress or blog spot account. Just saying

For my poems visit

http://www.wattpad.com/Youpele

For my blogs visit

http://Youpele52.tumblr.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angular, UI/UX And PHP Developer Wanted- Remuneration Up To ₦250,000 Monthly / How To Get Instant Adsense Approval / List Of The World's Top 10 Biggest Forums On The Internet And What They Earn.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.