Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers (14317 Views)

My Blog Design Vs Ogbonge Blog / Ogbonge Blog Has Been Hacked ? / My Alexa Ranking Is Now in 1st 200 NG- Thanks To The Ogbonge Seo Masters Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 27, 2013
cbrass: Its high time you guys realized that you are Nigerians, so its gona be difficult for them to trust you when a slight alteration occurs. Even non Nigerians are not left out how much More a FULL BLOODED NIGERIA. Why can't you guys hire a developer to give you a nice blog hosted on an independetnt domain then you do your work by driving traffic to it. Its a pity you guys are just too lazy and always looking for short cuts. Don't be suprised if lindakeji gets ditched tomorow. Even if you own an independt website and you continue to mess with your META TAGS google may list you on the spam website categories cause the crawler that visits your site offten will definitely get confused

Do you mean if you change meta tags on ur site, Google will penalize you. Someone please reply cos I'm pretty confused
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by rhames(m): 8:21pm On Nov 27, 2013
bizjesecons: Hi I own the blog . I recently read Jide's Ogbonge blog and I felt so sorry for him

Google had delisted his ogbonge blogger blog and counted it as spam.

Now my question is, does this issue make self-hosted wordpress ie wordpress.org better and more preferred
that ?

Does that mean that Nigerian bloggers, who mainly host their blogs at , should begin to think twice
so that they do not wake up to realise they have lost their means of livelihood just because google took
an arbitrary decision?

In my opinion and from my experience, nothing good comes cheap. Why will you host such a sound set of articles on a free blog like google blog without reading the terms and conditions? Its comparable to buying a new car without observing the stipulated warranty in that contract. Every right thinking full or part time blogger goes for a paid blog and a sound host. Long term contracts are given priorities above free users. For those who want sound advice on blogging,wordpress is the way to go and a host that is wordpress,com friendly is preferred. Never use a free host for blogging business coz u do not own the privileges associated with it.

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by rhames(m): 8:22pm On Nov 27, 2013
hisblud: Is it possible to export all your blog info to wordpress?

sure
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Samabu07(m): 8:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
Seun: --
And what's this SEUN? It even got likes? Smh
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by kay29000(m): 11:54pm On Nov 27, 2013
All these people making noise about Wordpress, and there is not one wordpress Blogger making significant money with his/her blog in Nigeria that people know. At least on Blogger you have linda ikeji, ladun, ogbonge, and me- kaysrapzone dot com. lol

Just don't do anything illegal with your blog and you won't have any problem. I have been on Blogger since 2008.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Manuelcrc(m): 1:09am On Nov 28, 2013
How much would it cost to have a self hosted website that people have to put themselves at the mercy of blogger or wordpress. With 5,000 you can have a self hosted website up and running.
I believe it's the fear of the unknown that makes people stick with what they currently know.

iamdsam: Linda Ikeji has been around in the blogging world blogger to be precise for a while now and she hasn't had any problem of any sort like that with blogger. I believe there's more to what made blogger to deactivate or scramble his site. He might not want to reveal the whole truth.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by chiogoezubem(f): 7:31am On Nov 28, 2013
Hm. Very interesting and insightful thread here. Maybe this is the reason I haven't been able to post on my blog for the past one month. I don't know the intricacies about blogging, (just started without plenty knowledge abt how it works). I had plenty shortstories and wanted people to read them so I set up a blog. I have sent a msg to google or so but haven't got any replies. Thinking twice about the whole google thing. I'm also thinking about paying for my own hosted blog. Learnt a lot here. Meanwhile to check out the few stories (romantic) (*winks*) I had posted go to www.serikabb..com.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 28, 2013
Seun: --
say something meaningful
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by ace1(m): 9:39am On Nov 28, 2013
kay29000: All these people making noise about Wordpress, and there is not one wordpress Blogger making significant money with his/her blog in Nigeria that people know. At least on Blogger you have linda ikeji, ladun, ogbonge, and me- kaysrapzone dot com. lol

Just don't do anything illegal with your blog and you won't have any problem. I have been on Blogger since 2008.

just so u know, notjustok, bellanaija, vanguard newspaper and a couple of other popular newspaper sites are powered by wordpress
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 28, 2013
akinalabi: If you are on free blogger, that is ., you do not own the blog.

Google owns it.

And they can do anything they want with it.

Mr Akin has said it all. Take it or Leave it, if you are using . you do not own the blog. almighty Google can wake one morning and decide to get ride of the blog and there is nothing you can do about it. The guys at google are too mean. When i had problem with my adwords account i knew what i went through with them before the account got reopened thats when i knew how mean those people could be.

For those afraid of the cost of running a self hosted wordpress, Who cannot afford ordinary 2500 for a year to host on smartwebng just for starting? It is better you won the blog and have total control over it than to wake up one day and discover your many years of hard work has been fu.cked up by Google
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by cbrass(m): 10:19am On Nov 28, 2013
SEUN please help me out I want to start a new thread on the "art of trumpet playing"
Thanks
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Timijohn: 11:36am On Nov 28, 2013
iamdsam: Linda Ikeji has been around in the blogging world blogger to be precise for a while now and she hasn't had any problem of any sort like that with blogger. I believe there's more to what made blogger to deactivate or scramble his site. He might not want to reveal the whole truth.

Linda has been using blogger for over seven years now and has not had any such problem, if she ever did, it will be obvious cos she doesn't even know much about coding stuffs. He might have broken the rules unknowingly, but then i still think its best to be on the safe side (self-hosting)

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:36am On Nov 28, 2013
Slyr0x: There must have been a valid reason.

Linda Ikeji has been on the ..com platform for as long as I can remember and she's not had any issues

True that
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:37am On Nov 28, 2013
#bizfirst#:

Just like Askimet, there is what is called FALSE POSITIVE when crawlers and bots comb up the web.

Back to the thread. No blogger should risk hosting on . For all the arguments for it, it's simply not worth it. The reasons for going the wordpress way are numerous:

1. Wordpress has got thousands of premium and free theme/plugins blogger can only dream of.
2. You get better organic traffic on WP than blogger. This is so because of the comprehensive SEO plugins like SEOPressor and Wordpress SEO by Yoast. There is nothing like that for blogger I know of. Bloggers who use blogger generally blog carrying out on page SEO in their brains grin
3. The WP community is quite large and an enthusiastic one. Everyday, someone migrates from blogger to WP. All those blogger can't be mistaken.
4. What happened to Jide cannot happen to you. At worst, you'll restore from a backup and life will simply go on!

Think WP!

I second...incompletely
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:43am On Nov 28, 2013
akinalabi: If you are on free blogger, that is ., you do not own the blog.

Google owns it.

And they can do anything they want with it.

hmmm...interesting perspective...iLike cool
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:46am On Nov 28, 2013
PezzoNovante: Dat is why I don't like free things...

Oh yeah?...you neither like sunshine nor air?
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:49am On Nov 28, 2013
EdesonNews: Blogger still remains the best. let us not write it off because of what happened to obgonge blog. Wordpress has its own downsides as well

What is your ranking methodology, sir?
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:51am On Nov 28, 2013
mr.official:
is mostly for people that do not earn any income from blogging.

Huh?
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Swadow(m): 11:55am On Nov 28, 2013
Phder: People click on "Agreed" without reading terms and conditions.

It's clearly written on the terms and condition page; blogs hosted on blogger belongs to Google inc.

--------------------------------
I once had issues with my host company, they threatened to take my site offline, because I couldn't control spam comments, I requested for a refund, they attached a screenshot of their company's TOS to an email forwarded to me in response to my request. TOS is a great way to force clients into signing a death warrant, often it's too lengthy to read and they're not written in modern English, which makes it very difficult to understand.

*chuckles*...Moral of the story: Read the Fine Print or get a Fine Attorney

1 Like

Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Seun(m): 12:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
Swadow: *chuckles*...Moral of the story: Read the Fine Print or get a Fine Attorney
No. The moral of the story is to back up your data. You cannot afford to hire attorneys that can successfully sue Google.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
Seun, Seun! grin I've been looking for u now, u come dey hide for me, ko da o! Abeg grant my post d FP honour, no be small tin to get this 2geda. www.nairaland.com/1533496/funny-facts-tasued-students O le nu, I owe u 1 olosho pupa.
Seun: No. The moral of the story is to back up your data. Most of us cannot afford to hire attorneys that can successfully sue Google.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by kay29000(m): 1:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
ace1:

just so u know, notjustok, bellanaija, vanguard newspaper and a couple of other popular newspaper sites are powered by wordpress
Those are websites, not blogs.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Sike(m): 2:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
thisisayus: Seun, Seun! grin I've been looking for u now, u come dey hide for me, ko da o! Abeg grant my post d FP honour, no be small tin to get this 2geda. www.nairaland.com/1533496/funny-facts-tasued-students O le nu, I owe u 1 olosho pupa.
Lmaooo.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by ibietela2(m): 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Bayils: I think jide must have by Now learnt his lesson...well one glarring difference i can still spot out between and wordpress hosted site is the Rate at which each sites loads' i came to realise is more faster in terms of loading than worldpress (has anyone noticed that..??)...but i much prefer world press to !

Depends on how you optimised your blog, have you visited linda ikeji blog and how it loads? Check mybloggertricks.com too
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by ibietela2(m): 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
kay29000:
Those are websites, not blogs.

Say what you know..... Check it www.whatwpthemeisthat.com
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by mrofficial(m): 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
ichommy:

So linda is not making money with her blog?

And after Linda Ikeji? If you mean business you would not start your blogging with Google blogger. Take laila's blog for example. I'm sure Linda Ikeji didn't have a capital or something, just like most Nigerians who wants to own a blog site without a cost.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by Nobody: 4:15am On Dec 01, 2013
luvola: Get adsense approve for your blog within one week.. This is for real!!! 07089328564... I am not lying and i have been on nairaland since 2009 so i cant scam you..
free brov? huh
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by bizfirst: 6:28am On Dec 01, 2013
bizjesecons:

Akaahan, you have raised an interesting point. But wont the argument wordpress or blogger still continue considering that
many people want to start off blogging without incurring any cost? Popular Nigerian bloggers like Linda Ikeji are also hosting
their blogs on . What do you have to say to that.

Start with blogger, and as soon as your blog has picked up, switch to WP!
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by bizfirst: 6:32am On Dec 01, 2013
adewasco2k: WordPress anytime, any-day, you get to see thousands of WordPress plugins/themes which helps to achieve great SEO practices with just few clicks.

You you are not planning to make money from blogging sure you can use but if you want to eventually earn something from blogging just hit for self hosted WordPress.

The only thing i have noticed with WordPress is security, you have to write very strict Rewrite rule in your htaccess, make sure to update your WordPress/themes/plugins always to avoid been hacked, and Joomla have better security, correct me if i am wrong.

WP-user/Developer

GBAM! You're 100% correct!
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by bizfirst: 6:41am On Dec 01, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

Yes. it was FALSE POSITIVE

but what happened to me can also happen to any blogger on Wordpress. There have been cases where hosts deleted hosted wordpress blogs on their servers.

If Blogger deletes your blog and you have a back up, you can move on to Wordpress and your readers will still find you provided you are using a custom domain and not the free . address. That's why it is risky using the the free . address.

But Jide, these cases are rare. The host itself would help you restore to the most recent backup if you don't have one

Considering the other points raised against WP, is there any reason any one should be on blogger?
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by haj57(m): 7:08am On Dec 30, 2013
Self hosted wordpress blogs are always better. My opinion though.
Re: Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers by loveoladele: 11:23pm On Dec 14, 2014
Hi friends, I am just reading this post that Jide’s blog was delisted and I can see some of you referring to Linda Ikeji.

I wrote this post on my blog www.mybusinesslessons.com last month and I know you will learn from it.

LINDA IKEJI MADE A GRAVE BUSINESS MISTAKE, DON’T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE

I am sure you know Linda Ikeji especially if you like gossip news, well in case you don’t know her, she is one of the richest blogger in Nigeria.

Few weeks ago, I heard on Nigeria Info that her blog www.lindaikeji.blogsopt.com was brought down by google because some people accused her of copying their content without giving them credit, you know that is plagiarism. The following day that I heard that news, I held an internet business seminar in Radio house and I told those that attended my seminar the same thing I have taught others for years which is the advantage of a registered domain name and a hosted site or blog over a free domain name, blog and site and I used Linda Ikeji as a good example because I was sure that her blog must be a free one for google to bring it down, no one can bring down your hosted blog that way.

A few days ago, my staff told me that Linda Ikeji wrote on her blog that she wanted to register her domain name and everything that resemble Linda Ikeji in spelling has been registered that she may probably register a new name, she will not buy the name from anyone because she does not want to give those that registered her name that satisfaction.

My advice to Linda, if she can afford it she should better go and buy her name, those people are smart and they are doing legal business, the internet world accepts the business. The cost she would spend buying her name would be nothing compared to what she would spend to get her followers all over again. And also she should step out of her gossip zone at times to read other people’s blog because I am sure I must have written about this mistake in some of my post.

And for you my friend, what lessons should you take away

1. Before you start using and domain name on the internet, make sure you register it, it cost between about 2000 naira to register a domain and same amount to renew it every year.
2. Pay to host your site and blog as soon as you can afford it, I also started with a free blog and I usually advise the people I train in blog design to also start with a free blog so they can use it to practice after which they must pay to host their blog, it cost about 10000 naira to host your blog, it can be less or more than that depending on the space you want.
3. The same thing applies offline, register your business and trade name before you let others know about it. I know a lot of barbing shop, salon, restaurant owners who started small and start using a business name and when the business start growing, it still never occurred to them to go and register the business name in corporate affairs commission until years later perhaps they want a contract from government or they want to work for a big organization and they are told to submit their quotation on a letter headed paper, it will then occur to them to go and register their business name, and most times by the time they get to corporate affairs commission their business name has been registered by someone else and they will have no other option than to change their business name, don’t let that happen to you.
4. Registering a business name is different from registering a domain name, you register a business name at the corporate affairs commission, visit their website http://new.cac.gov.ng/home/ to know their closest office to you. To register your domain name and host your site you need a web host. You can search the internet for a good web host.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Instant Adsense Approval / List Of The World's Top 10 Biggest Forums On The Internet And What They Earn. / Happy Birthday To Me, ChuzzyBlog!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.