Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,957 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44283 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Afam4eva(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

this is such a relief. thank you, mazi afam!
You're welcome, Otunba Coogar
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by zeelo2014: 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi:

Bianca Ojukwu again
The object of Yoruba obsession,I hear you

On this forum alone how many stories of Yoruba actresses having babies out of wedlock have we read?
How many of a woman trying to pin a bobo to her pregnancy
How many of doubtful paternity
How many of children emerging in their tens after the death of a man
You don't have to search deep
That scares Igbos
I am not saying such things are unheard of in Igboland but the degree is incomparable and it is heavily frowned at in our culture
A child born out of wedlock in Igboland belongs to the woman's family
It is a huge shame to that family
That is why illegitimate belle is hidden
But Yorubas flaunt it and announce it and throw parties to celebrate the arrival of the baby sired by a married man and born out of wedlock
A married Yoruba woman will wear asho ebi to the naming ceremony of her husband's mistress's baby and the man's people will be there eating jollof rice and dancing owanbe
That is an alien culture to us
That is one of the reasons our people are fearful of our girls marrying Yoruba men
Marriage means something different between the two groups

In Yorubaland a mistress with a baby automatically elevates to the status of wifehood,na lie?
Not so in Igboland
A mistress is hidden and the man does all he can to make sure no baby arrives ,because he doesn't want to shame his family
That is a huge cultural difference and many of our women have married Yoruba men who ended up with babies all around town down the road because it is their culture.his dad and uncles and grandpa did it freely.
It is not our accepted tradition

Shebi una wan hear the whole truth why Igbos don't like to marry Yoruba
Sorry if it hurts but that is the gospel truth
Your family dynamics are very complicated to Igbos

Damn the hard truth. As a Lagos boy,I've seen a lot of friends with father & mother having different surnames, a lot of seperated parents scattered all over.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 6:21pm On Nov 28, 2013
Blessy swt: Dis marriage tins cmes 4rm d hrt oh, so wat is bleve is dat is who eva ur hrt decide 2 b wit, i dnt tink language cn cme in at al
What are u writing, it appears, u are the only dumb-head here?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Moji12(f): 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
osinachukwu: Through out diz thread not even 1 yoruba guy defend his ugly sisters,they all talking about igbo women undecided
you are nothining but a child, keep ranting I hope u gain something from it at d end of d day.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

Bro I don't think you're entirely correct. I have asked that question and have delved deep into Igbo culture and history and I can say that the emergence of out-castes in Igboland, even though very minuscule, is a complex one and most often had a lot to do with people who were either heavily indebted or in existential danger and, voluntarily, had to seek protection in many dreaded shrines that spanned the land in those dark ages.

You can see it as filing for bankruptcy kind of thing. The only problem is that once you fail to bail yourself out and seek the protection of community gods/shrines people in the community see you as someone belonging to the dreaded god. They give you a huge space and, alas! you don't need protection anymore. But it turns out you're stuck. However, because Igbos are generally competitive and would avoid shame by all means, folks chose to pay their debt, did their thing, and stayed away from being the property of the gods.

So, when you say "sacrifice," I say its kind of close but not exact. Anyway, who knows. Perhaps other communities had different routes they used to get to the same system. However, at the end of the day [bold]Christianity has destroyed the practice [/bold] just as it destroyed polygamy in Igboland and what's left of the practice has been abolished and the population of Osu is perhaps a thousandth of a percent of Igbo population and I'm really happy for that.
Christianity never destroyed the Osu caste system... It only veiled it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Moji12(f): 6:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
zannie: But seriously, what's this obsession with Igbos?? I'm just asking a question o. Any thread on here about Igbos ends up being anoda mudsling contest between Yorubas/Igbos.
Are you guys not tired??
tired ke,das how dey will rant from begini of d thread to d very last,without achievin anything. Confused set of pple, mtchewwww

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by knightsTempler: 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

E ya Coogar. . . are you still hurt? O ma se o, pele. Ejoo, ema bi nu, se ogbo? Omo ale. lol.

You know, I cut you some slack before but now I will just treat you like the animal you are known to be. The best you can do is regurgitate what I say like a brainless Arrow. You remind me of the shameless, morbidly obese, filthy mother-pig that waddled into the BA Executive Lounge @ Heathrow with seven ashy, scar-faced bush babies, demanding obnoxiously in your gross nigbati English to be entertained at the expense of people like me! It's bad enough that you undesirable elements reek up the entire cabin with your rancid stench. You uncultured monkeys keep embarrassing the country everywhere you go. This is what happens when your worthless dudes inbreed with family members like wild dogs to spawn a bunch of genetically impaired, shiftless baboons that only serve to deplete the country's GDP.

Amadioha piafukwa gi ishi over dia. Enwe ishi. Filha de puta. Akpa njo. lol.

Gotta get back to being a productive, industrious go-getter I have the world to take over, and I will proceed to ignore your hideous, scarified face henceforth. Unimaginative ₵unt.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

the most annoying thing is the community allows it. i can understand our foremothers & forefathers with little or no education embracing such evil practises but our generation has no excuse kowtowing such an evil practise.

we are educated!

houston, we have a problem!!!

I think the dualistic nature of the colonial /post colonial Igbo man accounts for the failure of education to eradicate this practice. The average colonial /precolonial Igbo man accepted Western values, education and religion but never wholly jettisoned his cultural underpinnings hence you have Christian Igbos who occupy the front pew in church on Sundays but have no qualms about visiting a Dibia when things go awry; an Igbo man who believes in the efficacy of modern medicine but wouldn't discard orthodox medicine entirely; an Igbo man who believes all men are equal before the Almighty God but some are segregated because they now "belong" to the gods.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Orlando Owoh is here.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ikem11: Because igbos are descendant of Isaac...we follow our God instructions not to marry oda tribes. Ask our brother the isrealites
Ikem, if not for the moderators I would have called you a fool.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
osinachukwu: yes most yoruba girls look like mr ibu dats y yoruba men don't marry dem dey instead dream of igbo women grin
Then mr Ibu is a bastar.d and an osu because he may after all not be an Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
I can't even imagine marrying a Nigerian lest from my Igbo tribe.

I don't want a wife that'll kill my cat because she has green eyes and looks suspicious for a witch.

Or have a wife that will wake up on a good morning, ready to attack my neighbour's wife because she was chasing her in a dream.

I don't want a wife that'll attack my mother because her pastor told her that her mother in law is a witch and the cause of her barrenness.

Bottom line is, Nigerian mentality sucks. Forget about the food, we can hire an Igbo cook to prepare us that Ofe nsala and ugba + ukwa grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Apology accepted smiley

Women aren't meant to discuss this

Why? I'd like to learn why
the warrior72: grin Sorry I don't mean to insult u , but there are matters women are not ment to discuss,& this, happens to be one.

Once again, sorry....
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
rudedough: I can't even imagine marrying a Nigerian lest from my Igbo tribe.

I don't want a wife that'll kill my cat because she has green eyes and looks suspicious for a witch.

Or have a wife that will wake up on a good morning, ready to attack my neighbour's wife because she was chasing her in a dream.

I don't want a wife that'll attack my mother because her pastor told her that her mother in law is a witch and the cause of her barrenness.

Bottom line is, Nigerian mentality sucks. Forget about the food, we can hire an Igbo cook to prepare us that Ofe nsala and ugba + ukwa grin
So by your synopsis, Every Nigerian equals to Phocked up mentality?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tbken: 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2013
Obiagu1:

Marry at your own risk...
hahahahahahahaha chai Gud answer
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by mafolayomi(f): 7:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
dozai:

Even me self marry yoruba, my people never kill me. and she is da bomb.
even me self marry igbo jare grin but seriously, no biggy, we have have 2 kid 2gether( boys) d issue we had b4 we got married was from my pple and maybe his cousin and her husband that couldn't really say to our face. But today, d 2 families gets along so well. Any marriage that will have issues will sure do, no matter who is involve. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
Who doesn't know that Igbo parents poison the mind of their children, and have derogatory words for some ethnic groups? I've lived with these people to the extent that my spoken Igbo is somewhat better than my spoken Itsekiri and Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by eminence13(m): 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end
indeed they are faithful till d end on a concubines bed na when d illiterate igbo bizzness man is busy going from japan to china to hong kong importing fake goods forgetting he's got family ......and hey don't joj me I be igbo boi its nt all am just trying to make u raise ur eyebraw
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tbken: 7:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
kolawaxxy: and women from other tribes don't remain faithful to the end? undecided
30 out of 100 sir

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
rudedough: I can't even imagine marrying a Nigerian lest from my Igbo tribe.

Then marry your old woman.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PreciousBro: 7:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
Well I think that is a testament to the fact that people from my tribe are well endowed in all facets and ramification of life, from physical whole being to mental state and beyond culture and tradition....lol

You lot should just deal with it.

After everything said and done I know some of the fools venting their frustrations here on why something they regard as a mere myth could be true and indescribable at the same time,would still go out of their way to engage/tie the knot with an igbo girl grin grin {That's if they get lucky}

My tribe , I like , whether you feel differently or not.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Loski_Nedu:
So by your synopsis, Every Nigerian equals to Phocked up mentality?

cheesy cheesy cheesy

well, that's my opinion.

Do you have a problem with my opinion or you intend to force your choices on me like Nigerians do?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2013
Bull's eye
On point
Loski_Nedu:
I think the dualistic nature of the colonial /post colonial Igbo man accounts for the failure of education to eradicate this practice. The average colonial /precolonial Igbo man accepted Western values, education and religion but never wholly jettisoned his cultural underpinnings hence you have Christian Igbos who occupy the front pew in church on Sundays but have no qualms about visiting a Dibia when things go awry; an Igbo man who believes in the efficacy of modern medicine but wouldn't discard orthodox medicine entirely; an Igbo man who believes all men are equal before the Almighty God but some are segregated because they now "belong" to the gods.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ok boss
jay bee:
hit me up at our usual place

Let's catch up

We have loads to catch up on
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
Then marry your old woman.

I might reconsider marrying you. Is Orlando Owoh your real name? wink

Dafuq I didn't know you were a male. #NoHomo
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 7:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
undecided Afam& his ilk have succeeded in turning this harmless thread into an Osu bullshit.
Someone tucked away in far away lagos & probably not have stepped his foot in igboland, is the one delving into a matter he has no knowledge of...smh

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tbken: 7:20pm On Nov 28, 2013
eminence13: indeed they are faithful till d end on a concubines bed na when d illiterate igbo bizzness man is busy going from japan to china to hong kong importing fake goods forgetting he's got family ......and hey don't joj me I be igbo boi its nt all am just trying to make u raise ur eyebraw
kee ihe onye nka na akogheri here.....guy kee ihe ina acho ikwu...ya

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Moji12(f): 7:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi: There is something in an Igbo man that makes him adore Igbo women
We understand them and they understand us
My two first bobos were Yoruba ( they were very good to me by the way) but when it came to marriage,I still preferred an Igbo man too.
Three times I had tried to matchmake some folks
The moment I mentioned the woman was Yoruba,without even seeing a picture,the men lost interest including a girl whose mom was Igbo and father Yoruba.
One of the guys I was matchmaking with my school daughter,a physician ,I called him one day to start the show and his mother was on the background asking " Juo ya ma o nwere Onye Igbo doctor o ma"
( ask her if she knows an Igbo female doctor ) hahahaha
I tried to set up my older cousin with my Yoruba friend but he couldn't get over her tribe
Igbo men prefer Igbo women no doubt and have broken many hearts and when they venture out they prefer to look towards Calabar side or Rivers and Igbo/ Igboid parts of Delta.We are similar in many ways.
Igbos are family oriented and prefer cultures where the family unit in strong
Yorubas are very polygamous and promiscuous and their men and women freely have kids out of wedlock,they have complicated backgrounds so an Igbo man is fearful that a woman from such a background will not be good enough to raise a lasting family with.
That is one of the reasons
The other reason is the distrust after the civil war
The third reason is the notion that they use juju to tie a man in that culture( because of the promiscuity).That scares our Igbo men
No Igbo mother will happily agree to a non Igbo daughter in law ,there is always some convincing the man has to do.

what sort of sterotype believe is dat? I can as well believe all ibo ladies r LovePeddler,afteral I see dem wella here in apapa. Oh I got it dose ones won't settle down abi? Yeye dey smell,mtchew

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
rudedough:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

well, that's my opinion, do you have a problem with my opinion or you want to force your choices on me like a typical Nigerian?
Calm down bro. Thought We were just engaged in an intellectual discourse? No need for the crass retorts.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:39pm On Nov 28, 2013
rudedough:

I might reconsider marrying you. Is Orlando Owoh your real name? wink

Dafuq I didn't know you were a male. #NoHomo
I'm not a gay.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by economia: 7:41pm On Nov 28, 2013

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by makazona(m): 7:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
BrutusOj: Undiluted lie...70% of d ashis on badoo are igbo ladies,bot divorced,married n single..

wetin u dy fyn for ashi corner nah.lolz

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.