Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. (841 Views)

Does It Matter Whether You Are Shia Or Sunni?: Let's Love Each Other / No Matter The Politics: Christrians And Muslims Will Never Live In Unity / What Is The Matter With This Qadiriya People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by Lateef9961(m): 7:43am On Nov 27, 2013
Salam mualaikum.
My name is abdul lateef 4rm oyo state.
Am a fan of raggae music,and my questns are;
1. As a muslim,is it granted in islam to listen 2 music such as raggae?
2.one of d popular words used by raggae musician is "jah" wich means God,is permittable in islam to use "jah" too?
Thank u sir and ma as u ansa dos questns
Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by tbaba1234: 8:03am On Nov 27, 2013
I am not a faqih so i won't get into the discussion of whether music is halal and haram. Even though, i have strong views on the subject.

However, I would ask questions:

i. What is your relationship with the Quran? If you have reggae and a recitation of the Quran. Which will you choose? Be honest with yourself. Are you satisfied with your answer? Do you think you can improve your relationship with the Quran?

ii. Jah is a shortened form of Jehovah. Would you call Allah by a slang name?? Does it sound right or does it show respect??

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by babylolaroy(f): 8:09am On Nov 27, 2013
i like ur short answer tbaba, its straightforwad..i hope the brother understands

1 Like

Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by ikkings(m): 10:38am On Nov 28, 2013
tbaba1234: I am not a faqih so i won't get into the discussion of whether music is halal and haram. Even though, i have strong views on the subject.

However, I would ask questions:

i. What is your relationship with the Quran? If you have reggae and a recitation of the Quran. Which will you choose? Be honest with yourself. Are you satisfied with your answer? Do you think you can improve your relationship with the Quran?

ii. Jah is a shortened form of Jehovah. Would you call Allah by a slang name?? Does it sound right or does it show respect??
so Jah is a slang? This only goes to show how ignorant you are, why dont u research well and know what u are doing before giving advice to another?
Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by tbaba1234: 12:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
ikkings:
so Jah is a slang? This only goes to show how ignorant you are, why dont u research well and know what u are doing before giving advice to another?

Please what does your research say? Is not a shorthened form of a proper name? That is a slang.
Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by babylolaroy(f): 10:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
Jah (/ ˈ dʒ ɑː/ ; Hebrew : ּהי = Yah ) is
the shortened form of the divine
name YHWH (also spelled Jehovah or
Yahweh ). obviously jah is jehoveh in shortform.
And its a slang. Why is that dude taking it serious?...jah is a slang while jehovah and yahweh are the names
Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by UyiIredia(m): 4:10am On Nov 29, 2013
Even if Jah is a slang, the point is it's a way of saying God whom both Christians and Muslims acknowledge uniquely. Discriminating against it is hypocritical since I'm too sure some folks will dislike people who are biased against the use of 'Allah'. BTW, it so happens a Christian gospel track used the word and was, surprisingly, popular in the South. I speak of 'Nabaka'.
Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by tbaba1234: 4:39am On Nov 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Even if Jah is a slang, the point is it's a way of saying God whom both Christians and Muslims acknowledge uniquely. Discriminating against it is hypocritical since I'm too sure some folks will dislike people who are biased against the use of 'Allah'. BTW, it so happens a Christian gospel track used the word and was, surprisingly, popular in the South. I speak of 'Nabaka'.

It is like calling God, Gd or Allah, Al.. By all means, call God by whatever language you choose but use the full name.

In Islam, we recognise Allah as the master. Would you call the CEO of your company by a slang name to his face, what about the master of that CEO? It is about appropriateness.

I am talking from an islamic world-view so if from your world view, you see no problem with it, then you are free to do as you please.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by UyiIredia(m): 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2013
tbaba1234:

It is like calling God, Gd or Allah, Al.. By all means, call God by whatever language you choose but use the full name.

In Islam, we recognise Allah as the master. Would you call the CEO of your company by a slang name to his face, what about the master of that CEO? It is about appropriateness.

I am talking from an islamic world-view so if from your world view, you see no problem with it, then you are free to do as you please.

No, its more like calling God 'khot' as the Dutch call him, or Jesus 'Jesu' as Yorubas call him. Most reggae musicians also recognize God (or Jah, as the call him) as master and mean nor do no disrespect by calling Allah so. In your analogy, it's like calling your boss 'oga' instead of having to call his name along with his/her title. I think there is enough space in Islamic worldview to listen to songs that call Allah 'Jah', and like me, you are free in your preferences but be careful lest you dress them as if they are sacred.
Re: Muslim Brodas And Sisterx,i Nid Ur Hep On Dix Matter. by khattab02: 2:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
tbaba1234:

JAZAKALLAHU KHAIRAN! WELL SAID.

(1) (Reply)

Ruling On Playing Video Games which include Haram Things / Friday Sermon] Zamfara Killings And The Question Of Self-defense In Islam / Supplication During The Night Of Decree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.