Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall (4834 Views)

7 Richest Countries In The World. Surprise List. / Abubakar Sani Bello, The Richest Governor-Elect In Nigeria Detected / The Richest Countries In Africa - Is Nigeria Among? Lets See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 12:41pm On Nov 29, 2013
I've always thought Nigeria and South Africa were the richest countries in Africa -- in terms of minerals and resources. But, yesterday a friend of mine (who is from Congo) sent me a video about the Congo (DR). The video, which I thought was quite interesting, inspired me to do some research about the country.

I was shocked to find out that not only is Congo the richest country (in minerals/resources) In Africa, it's also the richest in the entire world. Worth well over $24 trillion in minerals & resources.

Oh and Excuse my ignorance, but I had no idea Congo was the largest country in sub-saharan Africa and the second largest in the whole of Africa. It's amazing how much you learn when you interact with other africans.

Just the other day, I learned a few things about Mugabe that made me have so much respect for him and his country. He might be crazy, but that man loves his people & his country. Who knew Zimbabwe was the most educated country in Africa, with a 90% literacy?

I'm inspired to learn more about my fellow Africans.

7 Likes

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by borntobegr8t(m): 12:45pm On Nov 29, 2013
Source

1 Like

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: Source

Ask google. smiley
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by ChimaAgbalajob: 12:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
DR Congo is indeed one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

But like Nigeria, in the end potential count for nothing if your people will rather fight over what they potentially have than work to develop that potential for the good of every citizen. Africans are a sorry race of people

I fear Nigerians will typically of Africans spend money meant for their development and higher standard of living to purchase arms to kill each other after 2015. Classical of black people.

3 Likes

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by borntobegr8t(m): 12:51pm On Nov 29, 2013
HisRib:

Ask google. smiley
Fake news undecided
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 12:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
Chima_Agbalajob: DR Congo is indeed one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

But like Nigeria, in the end potential count for nothing if your people will rather fight over what they potentially have than work to develop that potential for the good of every citizen. Africans are a sorry race of people

I fear Nigerians will typically of Africans spend money meant for their development and higher standard of living to purchase arms to kill each other after 2015. Classical of black people.

It's so sad! We suffer because we have horrible leaders. Our leaders are slaves to the West. This is why I respect Mugabe. He refuses to be anyone's puppet.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t:
Fake news undecided

Sweerie! This is not fake news! I know you're hurt to find out Naija is not the wealthiest country in Africa, but it's the truth.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by wasak(m): 1:00pm On Nov 29, 2013
cool

1 Like

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by borntobegr8t(m): 1:00pm On Nov 29, 2013
DR Congo my foot..a barren waste land
HisRib:

Sweerie! This is not fake news! I know you're hurt to find out Naija is not the wealthiest country in Africa, but it's the truth.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 1:05pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: DR Congo my foot..a barren waste land

Dear, I was just as shocked as you are. It's a very rich country. I even found out the mineral used to make the chip found in our phones & gadgets come from Congo. It's called Coltan. It's only found in 2 countries, Australia, which has 16% of it & Congo (DR) has the rest of it.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 29, 2013
Congo is not just the richest country in Africa, but the whole world.......potentially.

1 Like

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by borntobegr8t(m): 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
careytommy: Congo is not just the richest country in Africa, but the whole world.......potentially.
I
Ur source ?? You need to substantiate ur claims
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
careytommy: Congo is not just the richest country in Africa, but the whole world.......potentially.

Do you know where I can find more info about the country? I'm just so interested in it now. I'm just so shocked I've never heard of this before.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 1:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: I
Ur source ?? You need to substantiate ur claims

Chaiii this one just won't accept it.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 1:29pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: Source

"The Democratic Republic of Congo is potentially one of the richest countries on earth, but colonialism, slavery and corruption have turned it into one of the poorest, writes historian Dan Snow."

Source: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24396390
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by borntobegr8t(m): 1:32pm On Nov 29, 2013
HisRib:

"The Democratic Republic of Congo is potentially one of the richest countries on earth, but colonialism, slavery and corruption have turned it into one of the poorest, writes historian Dan Snow."

Source: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24396390
cheesy

1 Like

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 1:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t:
cheesy

Guess that's all it took to shut you up. Lol
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by borntobegr8t(m): 1:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
HisRib:

Guess that's all it took to shut you up. Lol
na u sabi, anyways wealth is time valued ..lets see hw long they can hold it
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by misterjosh(m): 1:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
I wanna migrate there!
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2013
mister josh: I wanna migrate there!

Why? You don't love naija again?
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: na u sabi, anyways wealth is time valued ..lets see hw long they can hold it

They've had these natural resources for years. I forgot to mention, their $24 trillion worth of natural resources are untapped resources. That country is rich shaaa
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by misterjosh(m): 2:25pm On Nov 29, 2013
HisRib:

Why? You don't love naija again?
9ja will always b close to my heart, thnk God I've a large heart.

1 Like

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 2:29pm On Nov 29, 2013
mister josh:
9ja will always b close to my heart, thnk God I've a large heart.

That's good!
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by drnoel: 3:31pm On Nov 29, 2013
DR Congo: Cursed by its natural wealth

The Democratic Republic of Congo is potentially one of the richest countries on earth, but colonialism, slavery and corruption have turned it into one of the poorest, writes historian Dan Snow.

The world's bloodiest conflict since World War II is still rumbling on today.

It is a war in which more than five million people have died, millions more have been driven to the brink by starvation and disease and several million women and girls have been raped.

The Great War of Africa, a conflagration that has sucked in soldiers and civilians from nine nations and countless armed rebel groups, has been fought almost entirely inside the borders of one unfortunate country - the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Congo waterfall
Many of the country's mining operations are connected to the waters of the mighty Congo River
It is a place seemingly blessed with every type of mineral, yet consistently rated lowest on the UN Human Development Index, where even the more fortunate live in grinding poverty.

I went to the Congo this summer to find out what it was about the country's past that had delivered it into the hands of unimaginable violence and anarchy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24396390

2 Likes

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by HisRib(f): 3:39pm On Nov 29, 2013
drnoel: DR Congo: Cursed by its natural wealth

The Democratic Republic of Congo is potentially one of the richest countries on earth, but colonialism, slavery and corruption have turned it into one of the poorest, writes historian Dan Snow.

The world's bloodiest conflict since World War II is still rumbling on today.

It is a war in which more than five million people have died, millions more have been driven to the brink by starvation and disease and several million women and girls have been raped.

The Great War of Africa, a conflagration that has sucked in soldiers and civilians from nine nations and countless armed rebel groups, has been fought almost entirely inside the borders of one unfortunate country - the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Congo waterfall
Many of the country's mining operations are connected to the waters of the mighty Congo River
It is a place seemingly blessed with every type of mineral, yet consistently rated lowest on the UN Human Development Index, where even the more fortunate live in grinding poverty.

I went to the Congo this summer to find out what it was about the country's past that had delivered it into the hands of unimaginable violence and anarchy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24396390

So sad! I hope one day we will see this country be as great as it has the potential to be. Congo (DR) holds the key to Africa's freedom.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by PurpleHouse(m): 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
HisRib:

So sad! I hope one day we will see this country be as great as it has the potential to be. Congo (DR) holds the key to Africa's freedom.
Congo DR is where the West wants it to be. Don't get your hopes high just yet. Until Africa Unite to Fight the Slavers and Bad Belles of Africa, Africa will never Rise.
You think bad leaders just rise from the bin? Com'on, they're being planted there for a reason by people too high and mighty, but one day, their cup go full... Africa will realize her Erros and make amends. Why is the Richest and Most Blessed Continent in the world still Backward? Food for thought!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by duni04(m): 4:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
PurpleHouse:
Congo DR is where the West wants it to be. Don't get your hopes high just yet. Until Africa Unite to Fight the Slavers and Bad Belles of Africa, Africa will never Rise.
You think bad leaders just rise from the bin? Com'on, they're being planted there for a reason by people too high and mighty, but one day, their cup go full... Africa will realize her Erros and make amends. Why is the Richest and Most Blessed Continent in the world still Backward? Food for thought!
Has it ever occured to u that congo's problems may b cos its too big to administer? A country more than twice the size of Nigeria and with more ethnicities, tribes and languages than most other parts of Africa and with vast reserves of natural resources was always bound to experience the problems Congo has experienced, and continues to experience. That country is just too big and too rich to be governed centrally. The situation in d Congo is so bad that neighboring countries have assumed control over the countries resources in areas where the central government in Kinshasa has no control.

1 Like

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by emmatok(m): 4:14pm On Nov 29, 2013
These posts reminds me of Patrick LUMUMBA,
any African leader that opposes the west get the treatment of Patrick Lumumba.

Since the death the this great man Congo has never known peace.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
Na true ooo, congo na them get the biggest prick for this world. u need see congo man prick like beer boottle angry angry angry angry
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by PurpleHouse(m): 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2013
duni04:
Has it ever occured to u that congo's problems may b cos its too big to administer? A country more than twice the size of Nigeria and with more ethnicities, tribes and languages than most other parts of Africa and with vast reserves of natural resources was always bound to experience the problems Congo has experienced, and continues to experience. That country is just too big and too rich to be governed centrally. The situation in d Congo is so bad that neighboring countries have assumed control over the countries resources in areas where the central government in Kinshasa has no control.
look at China, just as Nigeria, they are divided internally as North and South... Are they breaking apart? Why is China Growing very Fast? Is China not the Most Populous Country in the world?
How about USA? Don't they have inter squables? Is USA not One of the Largest Countries in the world both in popuation, Wealth, resources and Minerals?
Howw about Russia? Brazil? Don't these countries have internal problems to contend with? And yet all these countries are doing so great Economicaly ripping Africa off and Dry!
Believe it or not.
Take it or leave it... There's a conspiracy against Africa's Growth (Especially Nigeria; the West Fear us die, they don't want a strong Nigeria that will Boss other African Leaders, rather than them the west doing it).
Our Leaders are Corrupt, but they are corrupt for a reason... Where is our money being stolen to? Who's making profits from the Money where its kept? Whose economy is the money Pushing Forward? The West/America for sure!
My Dear, Africa won't grow an inch than it is now unless they unite to stand as one Voice, and not pets and undies to French and British/American colonialism... Size is nothing. If our leader really want to work, they'll work their A******s off, atleast, don't they travel overseas? They see how life is over there, but y aren't they bringing that Beauty and Leadership back home? CRISIS!
Crisis everywhere.... How will a country grow when there's so much crisis to tackle and nip in the bud? But where are these Crisis springing out from? Who's pressing the remote and setting Rabbit Traps for Africa?
Another Food for thought.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by emiye(m): 4:54pm On Nov 29, 2013
@op, DR Congo is not the largest country in Africa. it is the second largest.

the top 3 in this order are Algeria, DR congo and Sudan.

You are right about the richness of DR congo in mineral resources, but it is a misnomer that the country's poverty rate is still one of the worst in the world, no thanks to bad leadership and political instability.
Re: So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall by emiye(m): 5:13pm On Nov 29, 2013
PurpleHouse:
look at China, just as Nigeria, they are divided internally as North and South... Are they breaking apart? Why is China Growing very Fast? Is China not the Most Populous Country in the world?
How about USA? Don't they have inter squables? Is USA not One of the Largest Countries in the world both in popuation, Wealth, resources and Minerals?
Howw about Russia? Brazil? Don't these countries have internal problems to contend with? And yet all these countries are doing so great Economicaly ripping Africa off and Dry!
Believe it or not.
Take it or leave it... There's a conspiracy against Africa's Growth (Especially Nigeria; the West Fear us die, they don't want a strong Nigeria that will Boss other African Leaders, rather than them the west doing it).
Our Leaders are Corrupt, but they are corrupt for a reason... Where is our money being stolen to? Who's making profits from the Money where its kept? Whose economy is the money Pushing Forward? The West/America for sure!
My Dear, Africa won't grow an inch than it is now unless they unite to stand as one Voice, and not pets and undies to French and British/American colonialism... Size is nothing. If our leader really want to work, they'll work their A******s off, atleast, don't they travel overseas? They see how life is over there, but y aren't they bringing that Beauty and Leadership back home? CRISIS!
Crisis everywhere.... How will a country grow when there's so much crisis to tackle and nip in the bud? But where are these Crisis springing out from? Who's pressing the remote and setting Rabbit Traps for Africa?
Another Food for thought.
Stop blaming the "west", africans have themselves to blame.

Leaders are more often than not a reflection of the followers. A case where tribalism, religious affiliations, and other primordial sentiments are yardstick which guides voting pattern of our leaders, and selfcenteredness is engraved in the mentality of a typical african, whether old or young, rich or poor.

Followers are too docile to care to hold leaders accountable.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mathematically, Is It Possible For PDP To Still Win This Presidential Election / Pic:David Mark's Home Vs. A Police Station In Otukpo(Mark's Hometown) / Watchout Senator Mrs Tinubu Brawl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.