Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,645 members, 7,823,830 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Electronic Circuit Projects - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Electronic Circuit Projects (30095 Views)

I Want Best Ups Circuit For My Computer / Is Catlantic (circuit Atlantic) Really Genuine? / 1000va Ups Circuit Diagram Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by AjanleKoko: 11:50pm On Feb 14, 2010
iukpe:

What is a typical problem-solving project that could contribute to improving the quality of life of Nigerians?

In our typical Nigerian situation, not very many things matter to us unless it has to do with producing electricity or naira notes.

What can technologists design to be of value to Nigerians?

Although not so evident, there are a lot of opportunities for electronics technologists to design systems and circuits that can solve relevant problems. But you need to first be in industry. From retail to hospitality, medical and food processing industries, there are needs.
What's missing in Nigeria I think is skilled people. There are lots of opportunities, but you have to train yourself.
It's a lot easier than it sounds. If you're interested in electronics, there are lots of good cheap used books in Yaba that you can buy and read to grasp the basics. Then, just get down to Oshodi or Ikeja, get a couple of components and ICs, couple them together just to see what will happen.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by iukpe: 12:26pm On Feb 17, 2010
I think that we have skilled people, but perhaps what is missing is the opportunity to practice or encourage open design, construction and testing of works aimed at solving problems in industry. Everything is always related to contracts and ordering abroad, I guess because that is what allows people to make money for them selves. on the other hand we will never develop local skills which is the backbone of technological development without testing improving on our own ideas and designs.

If perhaps industries who have equipment broken down would sponsor skilled persons to give a shot at designing systems to replace their faulty modules or in any sector (manufacturing, oil and gas, refinery and so on, ). or you have non profit institutions whose aim is geared at improving and developing freelance technology design and ideas then industries would come to them for assistance.
Some of these practices should start from our educational institutions, though they dont come cheap. But the long term benefits are enormous.
Like the space projects in advanced countries they put a lot of cash behind it.

If we want to be one of the nations making progress in technology and a"super power" someday, we cannot ignore developing our indigenous technology.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by AjanleKoko: 3:28pm On Feb 17, 2010
The skilled people need to get organized first.
We need to have quality people who have worked in industry get together and form business entities that can do these things.
Leave electronics aside for a while. Everybody longs for a top-notch vehicle repair shop in Nigeria, but can't seem to find one.
Do you know that India was probably as bureaucratic and corrupt as Nigeria, just 20 years ago, but have somehow managed to rise above all that?
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by lekside44(m): 8:32pm On Feb 18, 2010
there are a lot of skilled personnel in electronics and many other engineering fields, the problem is how to cola rates the theoretical knowledge with the practical. when i was younger and aspiring to be more grounded in electronics, i was marveled by the extent of practical skills exhibited by these road side repairers. many of these people have not even heard about ohms law not to mention the more difficult topics. but the way they handle soldering, trouble shoot and repair electronic gadgets makes me feel so amateurish in nature. i had then been an apostle of symbiosis, exchange of theoretical knowledge for practical knowledge.
many of our newly recruited/matriculated engineers thus not have the fundamental principle/knowledge of these electronics/other engineering process. thus, when they are confronted with advanced equation which explain the properties of these systems, they become mesmerize. i think subjects such as basic electronics, applied electricity, technical drawing e.t.c should be enforced at ordinary level for prospective engineers.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by AjanleKoko: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2010
lekside44:

many of our newly recruited/matriculated engineers thus not have the fundamental principle/knowledge of these electronics/other engineering process. thus, when they are confronted with advanced equation which explain the properties of these systems, they become mesmerize. i think subjects such as basic electronics, applied electricity, technical drawing e.t.c should be enforced at ordinary level for prospective engineers.

You're right, lekside.
I did Basic Electronics and Technical drawing at ordinary level. Even though they were not even relevant to O'Level entry into university, at least they helped introduce me to the discipline. Maybe JAMB should look at revising admission criteria to include some of these subjects, rather than the blanket maths, physics, and chemistry.

This discussion is more for Career section I think. This thread should focus on circuit ideas.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by ahmmstar(m): 7:41am On Feb 22, 2010
Yeah
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by iukpe: 2:55am On Feb 25, 2010
Many years ago about 1980s to late 90s I used to dream of being a small scale electronics manufacturer. I actually made up my own brand name and I constructed several amplifier units, speaker systems, equalizers, mixers, stereo systems, home intercom systems, FM transmitters and portable outdoor transmitters, Inverter units, all on direct order to my customers.

The constraints i used to experience were sourcing of some components, in most cases i had to fall back on components from used "scrap" boards. Searching for special relays, miniature 1/4w resistors (which were very useful for achieving compact designs, LEDs, some potentiometers etc.
Casing and finishing of my designs was also a problem though I designed my casings with wood mostly polished or surfaced and sprayed with color.
I used metal and PVC a few times for Audio mixers and Transmitters.

Today packaging of electronic devices have gone "over the roof". Electronic systems are preferred automated by the user and expected to have some sort of microprocessor built in function.

I was never afraid to try anything as long as I could find the components to build it, I always had the time to do the component layout and soldering.

However some projects were never completed till date, though I still have partly finished boards.

I hardly find time to do any of that these days but hope that someday with the right opportunity, I could be part of a team of enthusiasts or support some, who believe in developing the skills of Nigerian technologists, designers and engineers.

1 Like

Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by iukpe: 3:03am On Feb 25, 2010
Many years ago about 1980s to late 90s I used to dream of being a small scale electronics manufacturer. I actually made up my own brand name and I constructed several amplifier units, speaker systems, equalizers, mixers, stereo systems, home intercom systems, FM transmitters and portable outdoor transmitters, Inverter units, all on direct order to my customers.

The constraints i used to experience were sourcing of some components, in most cases i had to fall back on components from used "scrap" boards. Searching for special relays, miniature 1/4w resistors (which were very useful for achieving compact designs, LEDs, some potentiometers etc.)
Casing and finishing of my designs was also a problem though I designed my casings with wood mostly polished or surfaced and sprayed with color.
I used metal and PVC a few times for Audio mixers and Transmitters.

Today packaging of electronic devices have gone "over the roof". Electronic systems are preferred automated by the user and expected to have some sort of microprocessor built in function.

I was never afraid to try anything as long as I could find the components to build it, I always had the time to do the component layout and soldering.

However some projects were never completed till date, though I still have partly finished boards.

I hardly find time to do any of that these days but hope that someday with the right opportunity, I could be part of a team of enthusiasts or support some, who believe in developing the skills of Nigerian technologists, designers and engineers.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by lekside44(m): 7:26pm On Feb 27, 2010
which is the best way to generate alternating signals/current. is it by bistable multivibrator or an LC tank oscillator for the purpose of converting direct current to alternating current in inverters?
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by elbat: 5:46pm On Mar 05, 2010
Hei Folks,

Been a while I checked this thread out. Really it's fun to read all the comments since,
While I noticed that the views and replies are not many I am still happy that there is that few that are interested.
Like I said in my earlier posts, I still believe in collaboration. As a people it is so evident that we find it hard to do this except for the arts where they are forced to work in groups; believe you me, we can do this and possibly like someone said, let's give it a try and start a dedicated site or forum for this sole purpose of stirring up a people that can design hardware and software. While we may not always get components, there could be simulators that we can use, where we cannot get simulators maybe it will be fun developing one ourselves. I do not really know where all this will end but really I am everyday getting concerned with the fact that of all the factors/resources for production, human resource is still the most critical because it is from the imaginations of man that every other facet of production derives. Guys, I dont know how, I don't know where, but one thing am sure of is that if we come together in anyway, we can leverage our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses. I once read somewhere that by sharing your knowledge or teaching others, you actually are improving your own understanding.

Of course in Nigeria, when you talk of invention because of the level of development, we are usually forced to work individually, but that has since changed with the internet that now allows people to network unlimitedly, who knows if we start something here, we might even be able to create a free or open source movement to help us drive technology transfer, I am sure that if we create our pedestal for Africa or Nigeria and make enough noise we just might be able to attract the attention of the great geeks in technology who savor the sharing of knowledge for knowledge sake and to better humanity.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by cardoso111(m): 8:04am On Mar 14, 2010
Filebe,send me your contact to cieba777@yahoo.com I have some urgent electronic questions
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by TechSmart: 11:08am On Mar 15, 2010
All,

Check this site for electronic gadgets, computers, computer parts and alot more.

Http://www.discountNG.com

You can get pricing idea or even order directly. Its all quality US specs products. About

48,000 products and still counting. You can also request for special product search.

Take advantage of the Pre-Launch Sale !
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 16, 2010
lekside44:

which is the best way to generate alternating signals/current. is it by bistable multivibrator or an LC tank oscillator for the purpose of converting direct current to alternating current in inverters?

@lekside44 you cannot generate an alternating signal by a bistable MV. bistable MV can be used as a data memory. you can generate a square wave pulse by using an astable multivibrator but a square wave pulse is more or less a half AC signal because it operates only in the positive halve cycle but when a transistor is used with it and connected accordingly, it can generate a square wave AC signal.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by wizz022003: 4:19pm On Mar 26, 2010
Good day to all great people in the world of electronics,

Please,am having my final year project on 5000va automatic change over switch from main supply to generator and from generator to main supply.the one that was previously realised was a generator to main supply ,pls in short i need a circuit diagram on this,and if u know someone i can contact.please iy will be my great pleasure
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by realkola: 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2010
IM AN INFORMATION MARKETER.IM GALD TO LET YOU KNOW THAT U CAN GET 180,000 NAIRA EVERY MONTH ON 2,000,000 NAIRA FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU HAVE IT FIXED WITH A PARTICULAR MICROFINACE BANK.I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION FOR THIS 9 PERCENT INTEREST RATE ON ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU FIXED WITH THEM.THEY ARE RELIABLE I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THEM FOR A YEAR NOW.I WILL COLLECT 50,000 NAIRA CASH BEFORE I RELEASE THE INFORMATION.CALL TUNDE 08037717482.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 31, 2010
wizz022003:

Good day to all great people in the world of electronics,

Please,am having my final year project on 5000va automatic change over switch from main supply to generator and from generator to main supply.the one that was previously realised was a generator to main supply ,pls in short i need a circuit diagram on this,and if u know someone i can contact.please iy will be my great pleasure

@WIZZ automatic change over is very easy it is only for you to understand the principle behind it. I dont really get the requirement or the changeover, I know that it is 5000va but this generator to main supply thing, i dont understand. please explain better and I will design a circuit diagram for you.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by Foxflames: 12:23pm On Apr 11, 2010
Where can I buy electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, veroboard, ICs in Nigeria?

i need these components for a project. Thx
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by lekside44(m): 6:17pm On Apr 15, 2010
Foxflames:

Where can I buy electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, veroboard, ICs in Nigeria?

i need these components for a project. Thx
whats your phone no?
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by Foxflames: 11:36am On Apr 16, 2010
@lekside44

I am not in Nigeria at the moment. I may be around in the summer.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 16, 2010
you can get any kind of electronics part at oshodi main market in lagos or at alaba international market.
Re: Electronic Circuit Projects by Nobody: 1:00am On Apr 18, 2010
@mcmedal I dont think you are serious at all. is this the thread you supose to put this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? / Apple Office In Lagos / Ifu Ennada: 'New Car Coming, I Can’t Be Poor Again, Small Girl, Great God'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.