Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:11 AM

Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn (2462 Views)

Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday / Lagos/Ibadan Expressway To Be 10 Lanes —FERMA / Construction Of Lagos-abidjan Expressway To Commence In 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:38pm On Dec 03, 2013
The Federal Government has said it will spend N90.3bn on the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the Abia section of the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.

According to the government, N50.8bn will be spent on the Umuahia-Aba section of the road, a distance of 56.1km, while N39.5bn has been earmarked for the Lokpanta-Umuahia section, which is 59.5km.

The Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, in a statement made available to our correspondent on Sunday by the Federal Ministry of Works, said the road had not received any major repair since it was completed 20 years ago.

He said the deplorable condition of the road was making travelling difficult, resulting in hardships, loss of lives and property.

Onolememen said, “Some sections of the road, due to its deplorable condition, have become hotspots for criminal activities like armed robbery, kidnapping and other anti-social vices.

“There has been a public outcry from individuals, groups and organisations. The Federal Government decided to rehabilitate/reconstruct the road in line with the transformation agenda of the present administration on road sector development.”

He said the dual carriageway, which was constructed in 1980 with a total length of 281km, traversed Enugu, Anambra, Rivers, Abia and Imo states.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/rehabilitation-of-enugu-pharcourt-expressway-to-gulp-n90-3bn/
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:39pm On Dec 03, 2013
Summary 1km = 1Billion Naira cheesy cheesy ( Remember the Land is not water Logged)

1 Like

Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:
Summary 1km = 1Billion Naira cheesy cheesy ( Remember the Land is not water Logged)
whaaaaattt!!! A reconstruction and rehabilitated road? Really?
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by NgeneUkwenu(f): 12:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
berem: whaaaaattt!!! A reconstruction and rehabilitated road? Really?

Imagine? No piling, No excavation, minimal grading, No expansion and not a water logged land as seen in Lagos or Niger deltan states yet N1Billion to a kilometre of road angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
WTF
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by NgeneUkwenu(f): 5:19pm On Dec 03, 2013
smiley
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by validplanet: 5:34pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:
smiley

op did u say bazaar?
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by NgeneUkwenu(f): 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
validplanet:

op did u say bazaar?

Yes, I know the road very well, It can never gulp half of the money to fix!
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by gtrust: 7:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:

go and take the current pictures (or video will even be better) and share it here so that we can understand what you are saying
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Brimmie(m): 7:22pm On Dec 03, 2013
It's our Oyel Moneyy.. Duhh! tongue

1 Like

Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Dollarman101: 7:33pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:

Imagine? No piling, No excavation, minimal grading, No expansion and not a water logged land as seen in Lagos or Niger deltan states yet N1Billion to a kilometre of road angry angry angry

grin Oga, who made you a consultant over Enugu-PH expressway? Abi you have the design with you before you arrived at these bogus conclusions? First, you must have a design and site plan before you reasonably predict cost of the project.

Secondly, who told you there are no ecological challenges on that road? Abia state is partly Niger Delta especially the Ukwa axis which is the oil bearing communities of Abia state. It borders with with Obigbo in Port harcourt.

Fourthly, you don't know the number of bridges and culverts that will be laid in the reconstruction. So chill.
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by uzomagic(m): 7:43pm On Dec 03, 2013
berem: whaaaaattt!!! A reconstruction and rehabilitated road? Really?

Guy, stop screaming for what you don't know about. I know that road too well. It passes through my village so i know what I'm saying.
That road has been very bad since Obasanjo's days as president. It has always been patched by FERMA but Jonathan stepped in to do some major rehabilitation that made the Aba-Umuahia stretch motorable early this year.

It is a welcome development now that it has been finally awarded for reconstruction. We are all happy for this intervention by President Jonathan. We hope that the execution will be accelerated so that motorists will heave some sigh of relief

1 Like

Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Mallamabdul: 7:45pm On Dec 03, 2013
uzomagic:

Guy, stop screaming for what you don't know about. I know that road too well. It passes through my village so i know what I'm saying.
That road has been very bad since Obasanjo's days as president. It has always been patched by FERMA but Jonathan stepped in to do some major rehabilitation that made the Aba-Umuahia stretch motorable early this year.

It is a welcome development now that it has been finally awarded for reconstruction. We are all happy for this intervention by President Jonathan. We hope that the execution will be accelerated so that motorists will heave some sigh of relief

cheesy grin FRESH AIR THINGS TILL 2019 grin cheesy grin
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Arobam: 8:04pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:

See haters cheesy. Where were you when APC Govs were all awarding roads at 1B per Kilometer? You have suddenly become an expert on Quantity surveying because GEJ has awarded a contract for reconstruction of a road that was long abandoned by successive govts in Nigeria.
Since you want to start costing roads, pls start with these ones done by APC Govs in South West.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/buharis-spokesman-accuses-acn-governors-of-corruption-says-they-award-one-kilometer-road-for-one-billion-naira/

2 Likes

Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Mandelaguy(m): 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2013
Mr op,
I understand your concern for prudence in governance but the people of South East region want their roads to be fixed at whatever cost.
The issue is that past Presidents have abandoned the road to rot away. Minister Onolemene captured it succinctly that no major repairs has been done in that road since 20 years ago. The situation is very bad so people will be very happy to see the reconstruction of that road.
Kudos Jonathan
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by omanzo02: 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2013
The highway interchange in the picture was rehabilitated with 40 million euro's ( 8.4 billion naira), one thing u have to know is that quotation for road contruction is different from going to the market to buy rice or beans, there are factors than pushes the prices up, the price/quotation is usually in hard currency I guess.

If the Federal ministry of works announced it contructed that highway interchange in the picture with 8.4 billion naira I am sure Nairaland/opposition/ activist will scream blue murder. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by validplanet: 9:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ngene-Ukwenu:

is bazaar not supposed to be after harvest? maybe u mean bizarre
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by validplanet: 9:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
that money is outrageous. it seems no body can talk.
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Nightshift(m): 9:35pm On Dec 03, 2013
omanzo02: The highway interchange in the picture was rehabilitated with 40 million euro's ( 8.4 billion naira), one thing u have to know is that quotation for road contruction is different from going to the market to buy rice or beans, there are factors than pushes the prices up, the price/quotation is usually in hard currency I guess.

If the Federal ministry of works announced it contructed that highway interchange in the picture with 8.4 billion naira I am sure Nairaland/opposition/ activist will scream blue murder. grin grin grin
Are you using the sub-standard Nigerian Highways(?) as a comparison to the Autobahns in Belgium or Germany? Nigeria has no standard for road construction, Trunk A roads or our so-called expressways! Roads with no lane markings or highways without shoulders are thrown to Nigerians and the safety implications are seen everyday on our roads.
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by omanzo02: 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2013
Nightshift: Are you using the sub-standard Nigerian Highways(?) as a comparison to the Autobahns in Belgium or Germany? Nigeria has no standard for road construction, Trunk A roads or our so-called expressways! Roads with no lane markings or highways without shoulders are thrown to Nigerians and the safety implications are seen everyday on our roads.

U have a point on the bolded, it's time Nigeria increases it standard of roads, but I was emphasing in my post the length doesn't determine the cost.
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by Nuzo1(m): 10:33pm On Dec 03, 2013
Since the PH/ENUGU road became unmotorable about 13 years ago, the past and present (to an extent) governments abandoned it for 2 reasons:

1. The high cost of reconstructing the road as it will require lots of culverts, bridges and heavy padding.

2. Nobody cared about the South East...especially during the PTF period.

Same faith befell East/West road in the south south.
Re: Bazaar: Rehabilitation Of 100km Umuahia-Portharcourt Expressway To Gulp N90.3bn by ChimaAgbalajob: 3:52am On Dec 04, 2013
Arobam:

See haters cheesy. Where were you when APC Govs were all awarding roads at 1B per Kilometer? You have suddenly become an expert on Quantity surveying because GEJ has awarded a contract for reconstruction of a road that was long abandoned by successive govts in Nigeria.
Since you want to start costing roads, pls start with these ones done by APC Govs in South West.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/buharis-spokesman-accuses-acn-governors-of-corruption-says-they-award-one-kilometer-road-for-one-billion-naira/

Meanwhile, 1km on the dual carriageway actually represent 2 kilometers in the real sense of it.

(1) (Reply)

I Was At The Funeral Mass Of Late Iyetade Soyinka With Pictures / A New Era Beckons As Jonathan Launches Electronic ID Card / How America Gets It Right By Catching Them Young And Lessons For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.