Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,150 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs (20743 Views)

I Want To Help Five Nairalander Get Jobs Before May 10 (closed) / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. / Why People Dont Get Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by vincvin(m): 4:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
i sincerely agreed with you , my company just employed one guy (an electrical engineer), to be sincere with you this guy doesnt know how to use tester, he doesnt know anything about electrical , i just discovered today that the guy is zero theoretically and i asked myself one question, how does this guy passed his exams , a Bsc holder from ESUT. I'm equally a fresh graduate (mechanical engineer) but i can dismantle, assemble and overhaul an engine without any supervision. i was telling him what and what i can do which i did some in his presence and he asked me a question, where did u learn all these from? my response goes thus....... i did siwes and IT and i took it upon myself that i must know these things. today i can conveniently lay my hand on heavy duty engines and any mechanical machines as well as air condition and refrigerator. i think its just mind set. believe me
hello "fresh graduate"
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by destino24(m): 4:59pm On Dec 03, 2013
Aromas:

9ce talk bro, please is it true dat most Nigeria engineering students mechanical,electrical don't work with there hands I mean they don't hold any tools like plier,schwedriver,spanner,hammer e.t.c. The main reason of dis my qustn is dat I argue wt a friend of mine who's currently 400L telling me everyday by day dat even though he get employ in any big company their work is 2 just supervise. Thanks

Not really. There are basically 4 Engineering cadres. A University Engineering graduate is at the top of that "food chain". So, your friend might not be totally wrong. I'll refer you to a book, "Engineer in society" by prof. S. I. Oluka.

You can get the details of the answer you seek from that book
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
i sincerely agreed with you, my company just employed one guy (an electrical engineer), to be sincere with you this guy doesnt know how to use tester, he doesnt know anything about electrical, i just discovered today that the guy is zero theoretically and i asked myself one question, how does this guy passed his exams, a Bsc holder from ESUT. I'm equally a fresh graduate (mechanical engineer) but i can dismantle, assemble and overhaul an engine without any supervision. i was telling him what and what i can do which i did some in his presence and he asked me a question, where did u learn all these from? my response goes thus....... i did siwes and IT and i took it upon myself that i must know these things. today i can conveniently lay my hand on heavy duty engines and any mechanical machines as well as air condition and refrigerator. i think its just mind set. believe me
Stop giving mechanical engineering a bad name nwokem even a monkey can be trained to 'lay hands' on heavy duty engines.
angry
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 03, 2013
talk4free:

You might know how to couple and uncouple an engine but if your English is this poor you cannot be differentiated from a road side mechanic. That to me is the reason why MOST Nigerian graduates are not employable.
lwtmb.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by destino24(m): 5:07pm On Dec 03, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
Stop giving mechanical engineering a bad name nwokem even a monkey can be trained to 'lay hands' on heavy duty engines.
angry

grin cheesy
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by lomaxx: 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2013
vincvin: hello "fresh graduate"

His point was made and well understood. No need for the sarcastic razzmatazz. angry

3 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Aromas: 5:19pm On Dec 03, 2013
destino24:

Not really. There are basically 4 Engineering cadres. A University Engineering graduate is at the top of that "food chain". So, your friend might not be totally wrong. I'll refer you to a book, "Engineer in society" by prof. S. I. Oluka.

You can get the details of the answer you seek from that book

Lolz
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by olabode89(m): 5:20pm On Dec 03, 2013
destino24:

GBAM
The guy doesn't even know there is a difference between a B. Sc and a B. Eng

Mr. ITK some universities do offer BSc. Degrees to engineering graduates (e.g OAU Ife), it is not a must for the degree to be B.Eng.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by destino24(m): 5:21pm On Dec 03, 2013
Aromas:

Lolz

Bro, what's funny?
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by destino24(m): 5:25pm On Dec 03, 2013
olabode89:

Mr. ITK some universities do offer BSc. Degrees to engineering graduates (e.g OAU Ife), it is not a must for the degree to be B.Eng.

ITK??
ha! Ok ooo

ESUT, The school he mentioned, awards B. Eng to all it's engineering graduates
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2013
Too much talk gives me a headache.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 03, 2013
A good number of graduates today are simply 'unemployable'. I once interviewed a chap with a B. Ed in Biology education who couldn't define osmosis and her later came to me after the interview, saying he wasn't prepared. He even attempted to bribe me without knowing that I partly own the firm.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by madnigerian: 6:29pm On Dec 03, 2013
Reason why Nigerian graduates cannot get jobs..

1.Our Economy is oil reliant....meaning we use the money we earn from selling oil to import the things we should be manufacturing. This leads to a reduction in industries....and as a result, a reduction in jobs.

As an example....back in the 80'S when I was a child., all the biscuit I ate was made in Nigeria.Foreign made biscuit was a once in a year treat. Now, foreign made biscuits are sold in all the roadside shops in Nigeria, because we are using our oil money to import them....meaning that our local biscuit manufacturers cannot make profits, and close down...and of course..there goes the jobs.

2.Our young people are not going for skills-based vocations.Instead, they all want to enter university so that they can graduate and get a desk job that will enable them to earn hefty salaries. Even those who do skills-based courses like enginerring do not use their skills at all...they head off into the banks, and business. And our young innovators are not setting up innovative industries....they are looking for contracts. Of course, since there are too many 'clerks' and too few jobs for the 'clerks;....unemploymnet results.

What do we do.....simple. Stop relying on oil, and start relying on brains and innovation.

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by madnigerian: 6:36pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
i sincerely agreed with you, my company just employed one guy (an electrical engineer), to be sincere with you this guy doesnt know how to use tester, he doesnt know anything about electrical, i just discovered today that the guy is zero theoretically and i asked myself one question, how does this guy passed his exams, a Bsc holder from ESUT. I'm equally a fresh graduate (mechanical engineer) but i can dismantle, assemble and overhaul an engine without any supervision. i was telling him what and what i can do which i did some in his presence and he asked me a question, where did u learn all these from? my response goes thus....... i did siwes and IT and i took it upon myself that i must know these things. today i can conveniently lay my hand on heavy duty engines and any mechanical machines as well as air condition and refrigerator. i think its just mind set. believe me

Sad tale.

The problem is, most students in our universities think that you learn everything in university....and refuse to acquire the extra skills needed to survive in the workplace.

As a medical student,during my school days, I attached myself to a rural hospital for the holidays. Learned a lot of things that they do not teach you in medical school.(and medical school is heavy on the practical stuff).

Another problem is that most students so not have the place to do industrial attachment....due to the lack of industries in the country.

Finally, most students just want to use their degrees to get a desk job.....practicality no dey their blood!

2 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by EmmyDe25(m): 6:39pm On Dec 03, 2013
Jarus: I agree with your points except 4 and 6.

You hardly lose job because of referees. Most employers contact your referees/ask for references only at the point of giving you the job, that is even if they don't defer till confirmation period sef.

As for experience, no again. A fresh graduate is not expected to have experience. That is why he is 'fresh'. Even for some companies 1-2 years experiences are discarded. At best, work experience boosts your chance, it doesn't take away from your chnace as a graduate applicant.
Hello Jarus, watched your prog the other day on Channels; i was overwhelmed. Please, i just want you to do me a favour..... I've got a CV which i'm not pretty sure how good it is, so i want you to just help me look into it and possibly make some necessary corrections in it. Please do drop your e-mail.... Thanks much.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
Aromas:

9ce talk bro, please is it true dat most Nigeria engineering students mechanical,electrical don't work with there hands I mean they don't hold any tools like plier,schwedriver,spanner,hammer e.t.c. The main reason of dis my qustn is dat I argue wt a friend of mine who's currently 400L telling me everyday by day dat even though he get employ in any big company their work is 2 just supervise. Thanks
yea, that's why we have techinicians and craftsmen but its good to have a good practical knowledge of what you are supervising depending on your engineering field so that you earn your respect, if you are smart enough you can manouevre your way using the design drawing cos most of these technicians in nigeria can't interprete drawings so you tel them what to do and they knw how to do it but its unfortunate that some engrg graduates can't even interprete simple drawings, som can't even use simple tools like vernier calipers, micrometer screw guage, plum guage etc
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by abubaka101: 6:47pm On Dec 03, 2013
Fit2Rule: A good number of graduates today are simply 'unemployable'. I once interviewed a chap with a B. Ed in Biology education who couldn't define osmosis and her later came to me after the interview, saying he wasn't prepared. He even attempted to bribe me without knowing that I partly own the firm.
I can't stop laughing!!!!"
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by destino24(m): 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2013
Castroii: yea, that's why we have techinicians and craftsmen but its good to have a good practical knowledge of what you are supervising depending on your engineering field so that you earn your respect, if you are smart enough you can manouevre your way using the design drawing cos most of these technicians in nigeria can't interprete drawings so you tel them what to do and they knw how to do it but its unfortunate that some engrg graduates can't even interprete simple drawings, som can't even use simple tools like vernier calipers, micrometer screw guage, plum guage etc

Spot on
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by abbey621(m): 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2013
The number one reason graduates are not able to secure jobs is that the ratio of employers to graduates is highly skewed. Everyone wants to graduate and secure jobs, zero innovation, zero foresight! I know lots of graduates that are still looking for jobs since we graduated in 2008, 5 years ago. How can you secure a job when people are not creating enough. My advice to those in school now is to develop business skills, learn a trade, something that can fetch you income, this will give you the necessary backbone to withstand any economic hardship till your dream job arrives. Not everyone is meant to work for someone, some were born to be inventors, creators, entrepreneurs!

2 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Lordlexyy: 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2013
Getting a job as a graduate that offers good package is ok but being self sustainant that is having a thriving personal business is one thing must gratuates don't think of. Some usually brings the issue of capital, but i think a concrete idea(s) is all that is required.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by beau49: 7:46pm On Dec 03, 2013
Vry informative.....atleast I av learnt a tin or two abt graduates unemployability.

As 4 those criticising odas abt their english,pls cut them some slack....can u go an insult a chinese professor 4 nt being abt 2 speak english or a german professor 4 dat matter.We all seem 2 4get abt d major thing which is wat dey can offer or nt whether dey knw hw 2 speak english....I can bet my last kobo that most of us dat claim 2 speak impeccable english don't ave anytin upstairs.

Don't get me wrong I knw speaking is important but it shud nt be made d utmost priority....Atleast to me it beta 2 employ sum1 who has sumtin upstairs n can't speak gud english buh can learn as time goes on rather dan employing a nut head that speaks english.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Lordlexyy: 7:55pm On Dec 03, 2013
Having a job as a graduate that offers good package is ok, but then i realised that most graduate have little or no interest being self establish, that is having a thriving personal business. Crital thinking and idea and not capital is all that is required to set the ball rolling. Our resolve should be towards being self sustainance rather than stressfuly searching.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:05pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:

So you think say na everybody wey no do SIWES dey lazy ba? To gte job easy pass to get SIWES placement!

1 Like

Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Snoopywallace(m): 8:27pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
hmmn...guess u can manufacture 2 ryt
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by philkul: 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2013
Beau49 I agree with u n bsyds der are still so many graduates u hav wat it takes for a gud job but no connection to get dem tru cos dts corruption for u aswell as corruption has a serous hand in this aswell not just abt d graduates.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by KKImoh: 9:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
Ad+:
Most Nigerian graduate are really unrealistic in their quest to secure jobs. When I finished school, I was doing test with oil firms but I later realized that the queue was just too long so I decided to do something about it. I went for experience believing that if I get it, I would not have to stand in queues to get an oil job. I started with small firms that paid me as low as N13,000 a month. In such firms, I was everything. After 6 months, I would resign and move to another firm. As I moved, my experience increased and my money also increased. Today I am grateful to God that I work as a consultant now, fully qualified and still moving higher. N13,000 is not up to my tithe now and age is still on my side all thanks to God.I will soon move to that oil firm which I desired for years ago as an experienced hand.
Also, most Nigerian graduates do not understand the terrain. You as a Nigerian graduate is competing with a foreign graduate (LAUTECH graduate against an Oxford graduate) who has a better edge than you, so you must work harder and know something he does not know.
So stop blaming corruption, think global and work with that mentality.
what course did u study
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by whizJohn: 9:51pm On Dec 03, 2013
[quote author=Morgan1092] You surely belong to the same class
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Aghans(m): 9:56pm On Dec 03, 2013
[quote author=esbjay@gmail.co]i sincerely agreed with you, my company just employed one guy (an electrical engineer), to be sincere with you this guy doesnt know how to use tester, he doesnt know anything about electrical, i just discovered today that the guy is zero theoretically and i asked myself one question, how does this guy passed his exams, a Bsc holder from ESUT. I'm equally a fresh graduate (mechanical engineer) but i can dismantle, assemble and overhaul an engine without any supervision. TANX
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 03, 2013
lanrei:

your single ILLUSTRATE just got you nailed to the wall..Baba nee u sabi
LWKMD...speak pidgin if English hard to comprehend...no offense intended bro.
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by slimjoe87(m): 10:27pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:
clap for yourself Engr,stop denting a school name jst for some1 who was nt serious..@u
Re: Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs by tonydim: 10:31pm On Dec 03, 2013
esbjay@gmail.co:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha, u wont believe it but i am on floor laughing right now. do u know why im laughing? its so unbelievable how you nail your colleague to the cross without realising your imperfections.. do you think you are better than him read the sentences in bold and tell me again that you are better than him, u need to be perfect to be a critic. u are not so why dont u spend time fixing or filling your gaps rather nailing your colleagues.. i am asking myself the same question right now.. how did you go through nursery school, primary school, high school, and college and English is still a problem to you.. please tell me its a typo error

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Announces The Commencement Of N-knowledge Programme In 6 Geo-political Zones / N-power Batch C: Physical Verification Facts And Guidelines / Amazon Recruitment Of Software Developers In Nigeria 2022. How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.