Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,039 members, 7,838,604 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages (6646 Views)

Top 5 Fastest Computers In The World / The Usefulness Of Computers In The Entertainment Sector / How many Computers in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Skywalker5(m): 11:37am On Dec 10, 2013
Zinox has been doing this for years
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by winteriscoming: 11:39am On Dec 10, 2013
But seriously while it is a romantic idea. Is it necessary. Nigeria is not going to change it's official language so why bother. You're still submitting your reports, applications, projects in English.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2013
Glory be to God Who by the work of this people He has rendered as failure the effort of those that wish Nigeria disintegrate. This is a new dawn of Nigeria. the New Nation will strive and succeed, InshaAllah. The Name and its passport will mean something, greater than when it was great. Amin.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Tobetoe(m): 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2013
redsquare: Good development. Like seriously, how many of us write/type or read in our local languages? How many of us use Google/Wikipaedia in Hausa,Igbo or Yoruba? I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I foresee this project failing.
u sounded as one, wat is gud for d goose is also gud for gander. China,france,russia,japan and other country have dia own dialect in pc. So u think witout English dia will be no communication in d world,. ,maybe u dont know how to speak ur own native dialect ,dats why u said so , bro go and learn
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by solomon111(m): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2013
This's impressive.
This's what Nigeria need to start doing.
Leverage on the expertise of your diasporean population to drive industrialization and economic growth,just like india has done.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by prettyboi1(m): 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mamacita007: good idea. i wanna use microsoft word in igbo grin grin
I'm not sure you're aware that you can already use Microsoft word in Igbo. Igbo has been there for some time now. My Microsoft word is even 2007 edition & I confidently say to you that the following Nigerian languages are there as options in case you want to change. 1Bini (or another language from Edo ) 2.Hausa. 3.Igbo 4.Yoruba
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by prettyboi1(m): 12:43pm On Dec 10, 2013
redsquare: Good development. Like seriously, how many of us write/type or read in our local languages? How many of us use Google/Wikipaedia in Hausa,Igbo or Yoruba? I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I foresee this project failing.
I speak & write english absolutely well,but my Google page has been permanently set to "Nigerian pidgin" cos I prefer that & I prefer feeling at home while reading articles. Pidgin for me is in fact more or less our central national language. This project is cool in my opinion.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by prettyboi1(m): 12:45pm On Dec 10, 2013
This is similar to what I posted here on nairaland few weeks ago. We also need to make phones,computers,instruction manuals,electronics etc in Nigerian pidgin too.
God Bless Nigeria. Amen.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by MidasT(m): 1:05pm On Dec 10, 2013
nice one, but we need to see something tangible. We are still waiting for the IQ and Maxtel made in Nigeria fone they promised to launch November; we are almost midway into December, and we never see anything.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by solomon111(m): 1:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
Chartey: Am I the only one who sincerely thinks this is a white elephant? How many people in the "international market" speak these languages? If China or India does this, it's fine because they have at least a billion people each who understand Mandarin/Cantonese and Hindi. But how many people speak Yoruba and Igbo in the whole world? Hausa may be ok though.
They didn't say it would only be in indigenous languages.
They said it would recognize Nigerian languages,i.e English and other Nigerian languages.
Those who do not understand Nigerian languages will still be able to use it.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Owenhat: 1:18pm On Dec 10, 2013
God bless my country and its pple. We can do better than the word know about...
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Staybase126: 1:45pm On Dec 10, 2013
Hope it would work(praying 4 them)-------- kidos 2 d ibos
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by mystical10: 1:50pm On Dec 10, 2013
Segadem: The Redeemed Christian Church Of God is having it again.
Holy Ghost Congress Tagged ``THE OVERFLOW'' Starting Dec.9-14.@Redemption Camp.
Make Sure You Are There To Enjoy God's Overflow Blessing.
my frnd go to religious room and do ur campaign or advert whteva u calld it pls
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Pharoh: 3:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
This is far fetched as you only need to have the input device like keyboard and keypads in your native language and make sure the software or operating system is in your language. What they actually need to do is to write software, systems and operating systems in our language and develop input device that is centric to our local languages.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by Pharoh: 3:23pm On Dec 10, 2013
Even those who developed wazobia linux already gave up the project but your language has to be standardized first before you can embark on this kind of projects.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by taobao123: 3:25pm On Dec 10, 2013
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by aleniboro(m): 4:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
Its unfortunate that issue here is technical and not all can understand it. I guess the professor is not aware that it is only part of the resource file of an internationalized operating system like Windows, and others in that category, that has to be localized in any language of one's choice. Microsoft has taken this initiative years back in Johannesburg when it launched Language Localization Program (LLP) in which major African languages including Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo are to be used in Windows Operating system. Since, the company has invested millions of dollars on this project starting from Windows Vista. Now you can use those languages with Windows 7 and Windows 8.
This is a My Picture folder on Windows 8 with Yoruba Language.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by aleniboro(m): 4:26pm On Dec 10, 2013
You can download it for free on Microsoft site for both Office (office 2007, 2010) and Windows. We should not deceive ourselves, it is a capital intensive project and Microsoft itself handed it over to big translation company i.e Moravia worldwide, Logru, Lionbridge. I have worked as a Nigeria languages Project Manager for these company on Localization of Nigeria languages. If you are a Linguist and you are versatile in computer, you can join us, especially Hausa linguist.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by victorazy(m): 6:57pm On Dec 10, 2013
Lubbish! Make una come produce motor, even my small Nokia phone dey speak Igbo.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora To Produce Computers In Local Languages by nagoma(m): 9:48am On Dec 11, 2013
Don't mind those diaspora dudes. Do they even know the local languages?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Hynet Issues; Please Help / Like New US Used Asus S400CA Ultrabook - Metal Build, Core I5, Touchscreen *sold / Perfectly Clean UK Used Dell Core I7 4 Sale @ 55k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.