Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,147 members, 7,953,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:19 PM

A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! (4551 Views)

Hurray! Anambra State Is 24 Years Today. / Aba: A City In Ruins / Onitsha Is Becoming A City Of Trade,Commerce & Industries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Raxxye(m): 12:24pm On Dec 07, 2013
When I first heard that there is never power outtage in Bonny, Rivers State, I didn't quite believe it's possible so long as it is a part of Nigeria. But today December 7,2013 makes it exactly 2 months since I came here, and I can tell you that the only major power outtage there has been was one which occured last week Thursday, and which lasted a little less than an hour. Bonny has been having and still has 24/7 electricity all-year-round! My question is: if it's possible in Bonny, why can't it happen in all other parts of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Boss13: 2:21pm On Dec 07, 2013
The power supply is generated by the oil firms and not the govt
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Kingsley1000(m): 2:59pm On Dec 07, 2013
Since hydroelectro system of generating power in nigeria seems difficult,and hampered by many factors...Why not government partner with japanese folks to inject the use of solar panel or supplement it with since we have very hot temperature in this country.What do you think?
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by egift(m): 3:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
Why not allow States to generate and consume what they have. Then they can free the one they consume from the National grid? So if a State can go independent on Power, they should be allowed to do so.

3 Likes

Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Raxxye(m): 4:15pm On Dec 07, 2013
Boss13: The power supply is generated by the oil firms and not the govt

There are oil firms in other cities too; Port Harcourt has quite a handful of them, but even the host communities of some of those companies have no regular electricity.
Btw, is it only an oil firm that can do it? How about other large firms that rake in so much millions in yearly profits?
Actually, what baffles me is that it is actually happening in Nigerian soil!
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by adimsmt: 4:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
The problem is we as country lack a visionary leadership . Until we as people demand real federalism our country will continue to suffer from lack of development. Until we give some power to the state and let federal government to just control the arms forces , immigration and customs and let each state manage their own resources and develop their state we will continue to see our country 50 years from now we will be same Nigeria . The country that has it all, Yet lack it all . Federal government is choking the state governments my people , States attract public investment then the federal government . The issue of 24/7 electricity supply in Nigeria would have been a thing of the past at list in some states if they where allowed to generate and distribute their own electricity. My good people of Nigeria i call everyone to demand a change in our system of government in our beloved country now is the time.

2 Likes

Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2013
You don't have PHCN officials at Bonny to vandalize transformers.
You don't have generator importers to work in concert with some fellow Nigerians working in government parastatals to undermine government efforts.

Even if you steal any transmission materials, you can not easily transfer it out of Bonny Island.
The only route to Bonny is water or air, no land so thieves and criminals do not easily move to and fro!

You cant compare Bonny with the rest of Nigeria.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by kel4soft: 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
OP
Am an Opobian close neighbour of Bonny. I will comfortable tell you those people that sign that MOU for them before NLNG came in are wise and selfless. An average Bonny man is comfortable, and they don't give problems unlike other communities. Constant power supply by NLNG and Shell. A child of 15years born and bred there doesn't know what is power failure.

2 Likes

Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by mdee1(m): 10:13pm On Dec 07, 2013
Nawaoo...
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by mdee1(m): 10:26pm On Dec 07, 2013
I can't believe this...down phcn!!!
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Abagworo(m): 10:43pm On Dec 07, 2013
Its not the entire Bonny that even has power supply. Don't be fooled because you stayed in the area that enjoys that. Omoku in Rivers State also enjoys stable power supply but just like the case of Bonny, many communities in ONELGA do not enjoy that stable power supply.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2013
Kingsley1000: Since hydroelectro system of generating power in nigeria seems difficult,and hampered by many factors...Why not government partner with japanese folks to inject the use of solar panel or supplement it with since we have very hot temperature in this country.What do you think?

Isnt there a Japan-Of-Africa somewhere in Nigeria? Maybe they should ask them to utilize their expertise for the benefit of the country?

2 Likes

Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Brimmie(m): 11:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
kingoflag:

Isnt there a Japan-Of-Africa somewhere in Nigeria? Maybe they should ask them to utilize their expertise for the benefit of the country?
Pls don't! grin
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by toideve(m): 4:19am On Dec 08, 2013
@OP i lived in NNPC quarters in Kaduna State for about 2 years, power supply can go for like 6 months without blinking no matter how terrible the weather may seem. Nothing like NEPA light there, the light used is supplied and powered by the NNPC refinery. I dont know how big Bonny Island is, but that quarters is a city.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by gbemijames: 6:33am On Dec 08, 2013
brooos...
have yu been to Canaanland in otta?..24hrs supply year round..so this isnt news.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by pussyeater(m): 6:36am On Dec 08, 2013
gbemi-james:
brooos...
have yu been to Canaanland in otta?..24hrs supply year round..so this isnt news.
Gerrout! Biggest lie ever telleth! Even banana island nor get power supply 24hrs year round!
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by nerodenero: 7:25am On Dec 08, 2013
This is shocking!!!Growing up was when I experienced such.When there was always power and at a point,I wished I'd experience how dark it will be when there is power failure.Alas these days,I have lost count and still counting darkness as a result of PHCN.Maybe this is part of the reason we aint moving forward because we are dark people,experiencing darkness at night and the only source of power at night being PHCN has darkness as its slogan.Nothing good comes out of darkness!
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 08, 2013
Raxxye: When I first heard that there is never power outtage in Bonny, Rivers State, I didn't quite believe it's possible so long as it is a part of Nigeria. But today December 7,2013 makes it exactly 2 months since I came here, and I can tell you that the only major power outtage there has been was one which occured last week Thursday, and which lasted a little less than an hour. Bonny has been having and still has 24/7 electricity all-year-round! My question is: if it's possible in Bonny, why can't it happen in all other parts of Nigeria?
bonny is powered privately and it is not even a town more like an estate with surrounding villages.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by mancanoe: 7:43am On Dec 08, 2013
A small community before Lafia called SHABU in Nasarawa state enjoys 24/7 Light.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by bcomputer101: 7:55am On Dec 08, 2013
When i got to that place,
I forget I'm a Nigerian!
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Raxxye(m): 12:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
blink182: bonny is powered privately and it is not even a town more like an estate with surrounding villages.
What are you talking about? Bonny is like an estate? Have you ever been to the island?
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Raxxye(m): 12:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
mancanoe: A small community before Lafia called SHABU in Nasarawa state enjoys 24/7 Light.

What's the source of their electricity? Is it PHCN?
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by wesley80(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
My own community - Aboh in Delta State, finally got a direct connection to Agip's Okpai gas plant and the light is 24/7, it's been on for about a month now and will stay that way for the forseeable future except there's some fundamental problem.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by forumcitizens: 1:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
Interesting. shocked
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by otokx(m): 1:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Do the citizens of bonny pay light bills? There was a time Yenagoa too had 24/7 light from their gas turbine.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by slimfit1(m): 2:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
How many generators do these people import everyday a whole ship of generators ? What is the amount of people that can afford to buy a generator? Very few.

The government are just looking for people to blame. There is no will simple, for these reasons there is no way. Don't let people come and give excuses that doesn't make sense. Let them band generators if that is our problem.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 08, 2013
Adonbilivit,in Nigeria?

Even if its privately owned,and managed,it means such can be replicated throughout Nigeria,but greed,and saboteurs won't allow.

Well for the record,in Eric Moore towers in surulere, electricity is fairly stable.
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Raxxye(m): 3:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
otokx: Do the citizens of bonny pay light bills? There was a time Yenagoa too had 24/7 light from their gas turbine.
Yes, they do pay light bills (There's a section called Finima that doesn't pay, anyway. I hear they have refused to pay utility bills because they are the major host community to NLNG). They make use of the pre-paid meter which is fairly cheap. A recharge card of N1000 can take an average flat for about 2 months!
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by Alishachris: 3:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
States Generate electricity ni? Imagine TA orji generating electricity for Abia state. angry
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by oubi: 3:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
Not forgetting AJAOKUTA
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by otokx(m): 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
wesley80: My own community - Aboh in Delta State, finally got a direct connection to Agip's Okpai gas plant and the light is 24/7, it's been on for about a month now and will stay that way for the forseeable future except there's some fundamental problem.

do you pay bills? if so how?
Re: A city in Nigeria where There Is 24/7 Elelctricity Supply! by AZeD1(m): 3:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
The first time I experienced power failure was when I went to secondary school.
My younger sister didn't know what a stabilizer is until her 1st year in the university.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

mODIFIED / Stop Defending Islam, Let Allah Defend Himself!Ganduje Lambasts Northern Muslims / How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.