Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination (17708 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by mystical10: 1:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
burberry89:

If ur communities has built over 4000 schools, 80% of electricity and road networks in d EAST then wats ur government doing ooooo. And u hopeless IGBO pplle condemning the govt of SW calling our governors thieves. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm wat can I call ur governors ooooo cry

You these SE pple u r the most backward pple in this country. Instead of critizing yorubas talk to ur leaders and ur brothers here in SW to come home n develop ur area
apart from lagos tht developd by nigerians tell me other states in yoruba land thats developd than states in SE.yorubas dn travel, they can stay over 30 40yrs in SW witout trvlin to other parts even overseas.traveling is part of education. Tx to nysc if nt sm yorubas mght nt knw state called kastina.

6 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by oneeast1: 1:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam, is illugun boy beyond ban? Why has he not been banned despite all the mess he has caused here?

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by gratieao: 1:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
Sheer stupiditly and infertility complex if not why are people from SW masturbating on thread?
Which state in Nigeria has executed contract of such magnitude both present and past, why can't this people allow us be?

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by gratieao: 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
Uti _Jara o: Why are Yorubas turning this into a Tribal war?

Are you that jobless
Their problem is simply Inferiority Complex

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
one.east1:
Afam, is illugun boy beyond ban? Why has he not been banned despite all the mess he has caused here?

Chino...

Mention the rule from 1-21 that I've broken on this thread....you don't need to instigate your broda to silence me here...so that you and your ilk can roam freely here peddling falsehood.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by TechWalker007: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy: Afam....I will report you appropriately if you don't stop hiding comments that are clearly not infringing on any NL rules but on your own tribal mindset.

You are not supposed to be allowed in Nairaland really, your bitterness is beyond reconciliation.

4 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
TechWalker007:

You are not supposed to be allowed in Nairaland really, your bitterness is beyond reconciliation.

While people like you and your type may wish for that.....there are numerous that admire me....so your opinion count for zero!

5 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by TechWalker007: 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

Chino...

Mention the rule from 1-21 that I've broken on this thread....you don't need to instigate your broda to silence me here...so that you and your ilk can roam freely here peddling falsehood.

What do you call falsehood?
That they are celebrating the possible completion of a port in Onitsha?

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by TechWalker007: 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

While people like you and your type may wish for that.....there are numerous that admire me....so your opinion count for zero!

Admire you? Seriously?

When I joined the thread all I expected to see was detail of the port in Onitsha.
I was however stunned to see posts from your likes laced with so much hatred.
My position on your likes is that you are the real enemies of Nigeria. You hate to see other places in Nigeria prosper, especially SE.

I on the other hand will celebrate if this is about Lagos or any other SW states.

4 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by gratieao: 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

Chino...

Guy, why this anguish on Igbo? You must be a bitter man in real life

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
TechWalker007:

What do you call falsehood?
That they are celebrating the possible completion of a port in Onitsha?

Did you start reading this thread from the beginning or you just jumped into the conversation midway without putting things into proper context...? Stop asking me foolish question please!

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
gratieao:
Guy, why this anguish on Igbo? You must be a bitter man in real life

I hate and detest liars like you....how about you getting the fvck out of my sight already!

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
TechWalker007:

Admire you? Seriously?

When I joined the thread all I expected to see was detail of the port in Onitsha.
I was however stunned to see posts from your likes laced with so much hatred.
My position on your likes is that you are the real enemies of Nigeria. You hate to see other places in Nigeria prosper, especially SE.

I on the other hand will celebrate if this is about Lagos or any other SW states.

Good for you.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by TechWalker007: 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

Did you start reading this thread from the beginning or you just jumped into the conversation midway without putting things into proper context...? Stop asking me foolish question please!

Jumping into what?

The thread clearly talks about the port in Onitsha, what is your contribution to that? Hate, no?

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2013
TechWalker007:

Jumping into what?

The thread clearly talks about the port in Onitsha, what is your contribution to that? Hate, no?

Your opinion...perfectly entitle to it.

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
INSTEAD OF WORKING TO MAKE THIS A REALITY THE FOOLISH BUSINESSMEN WILL BE BUSY BUYING CHIEFTANCY TITLE AND OPPRESSING THEIR FELLOW MEN
THEN THEY WILL COME BACK TO BLAME YAKUBU GOWON AND FASHOLA FOR THEIR FOOLISHNESS. SMH

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Ngokafor(f): 1:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
@chino11,this is a nice development...if you are close to Peter Obi or Obiano then please impress on them the urgency of having a viable port in Onitsha by any means necessary,no matter how small.I believe we have to start from somewhere...
..being focused with a strong sense of purpose is key,not engaging jobless APC supporters online day in day out.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
gratieao:
The news here is possible completion of Onitsha port. that's development in disguise
What is the headline in your enclave? 71 years old man rap.ping 7 year old girl
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/71-yr-old-nabbed-allegedly-raping-7-yr-old-girl/
Something abominable in Igbo land. And you still have the "modus operandi" to talk down on people.
Shame on you!!
Shame on your people!!!

Compare to the numerous vices coming out of your enclave on per-second basis.

The shame should really be on you for coming from a place where people abuse teenagers by intentionally impregnating them by total strangers with the sole motive of selling off the child after birth...while handling the poor girl a paltry sum of 100k.

The shame is really on you guy!

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by eminikansoso(m): 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
IKEMBA NNEWI: That should happen......watch Lagos Crash...
Note Less than 10% of goods cleared goes to east and about 90% of goods in east comes from port harcourt port, onne port and Bondek terminal.
So lagos can not crash

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by TechWalker007: 1:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
gratieao:
The news here is possible completion of Onitsha port. that's development in disguise
What is the headline in your enclave? 71 years old man rap.ping 7 year old girl
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/71-yr-old-nabbed-allegedly-raping-7-yr-old-girl/
Something abominable in Igbo land. And you still have the "modus operandi" to talk down on people.
Shame on you!!
Shame on your people!!!

I think he is getting too much attention, his aim is to derail the thread and fill it with hatred.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
eminikan soso:
Note Less than 10% of goods cleared goes to east and about 90% of goods in east comes from port harcourt port, onne port and Bondek terminal.
So lagos can not crash

That comment you replied was the one that infuriated my type and the one that brought me to this thread...and the rock head got like 7 LIKES on such comment!

Why must people always look for reason to wish Lagos harm....why must your own progress bring destruction to Lagos..

Why such amount of vile and extremely wicked desire for a city that have accommodated the most successful Ibos....that have given them that bust of energy after the war....why such insane amount of hatred toward Lagos?

Why would anyone with the right frame of mind suggest Lagos will crash because they got a river port?

6 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by citizenY(m): 2:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
Flyboy Zee:
This is good. It will shut up all those eediots thinking that Lagos is Bigger than Nigeria/FG. If O'sha becomes an entry Port for goods, Lagos would loose half of its importance. O ye Lagosians, begin to conjure, lobby and try as much as you can that O'sha Port does not get that status, or else...

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!¡
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Ngokafor(f): 2:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
asha 80: i thought ngige is in apc?so apc guys in the senate will not support him if he drafts a bill because of what some people in other parties said?do you know what you are saying sounds?

....you really shouldnt be surprised...
...APC members are the most hypocritical peeps since the inception of this nation...yet they keep thinking they can decieve everyone into believing they are different from PDP.
....as far as Nigerian politics is concerned,'The beautiful ones are not yet born'...
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by eminikansoso(m): 2:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
ilugunboy:

That comment you replied was the one that infuriated my type and the one that brought me to this thread...

Why must people always look for reason to wish Lagos harm....why must your own progress bring destruction to Lagos..

Why such vile for a city that have accommodated the most successful Ibos....that have given them that bust of energy after the war....why such insane amount of hatred toward Lagos?

Why would anyone suggest Lagos will crash
because they got a river port?

Pls ask them
The city that accommodate over 50% of ibos.
Now some fools because of Onitsha port, they believe Almighty Lagos will crash.
My prayer is that let FG build the Onitsha port and see how lagos will continue prosper.
One thing is certain Onitsha port can not be busy than onne port talkless of lagos port.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 08, 2013
Guys,
Lets talk a bit more about how to go about Achieving this.
The Federal Government has done all it should apart from the international Status Gazette. Which I think we can easily convince GEJ to grant to us.
Beyond this I think am very Happy that the Association of shippers has woken up. They need to take over the concession for us to be able to make this work.

I suggest that the Anambra State Government, should work with this Association to float a Shipping or Port Operations company company that will be aggressive in taking over the concession from the Federal Government. Of course at very minimal cost since it has to develope the commercial activity at the port.

Secondly, we do not really need to dredge the River Niger to ocean depths of like 12ft drafts to have a viable port. A lot of commercial shipping has been developed on the Mississippi and is quite successful and we can learn from them. The cost of Dredging up to 12ft from the current 5ft could as well establish a shipping line for us.

Effectively what we need is a Ship to Ship(STS) transfer centre.This is where cargo from the mother ship will be quickly transferred to barges then brought inland. I have spoken about this and given it some thought severally in the past. There are two options really. Having the STS on shore or in the Middle of the Ocean.

Shore STS will have a lot of issues
with custom,
the shore line state to host it,
the Navy,
possible smuggling.
Delays in the ship turn around time due to the legal clearance requires before a foreign vessel can berth on land
It will be like moving goods from another port, and partly defeats the aim of the quest to Onitsha port.

On the Contrary an STS centre in the middle of the ocean
Will benefit ships in quick turn around time, as the water depth in ocean will allow easy movement
this will require having an adequate number of deck barges and ocean going tuggers to empty the Ship in good time
It can be in international waters, where vessels will not require any clearance from Nigerian Govt. but will be wary of piracy
It is best located within Nigerian Waters, we can lobby for a permanent Naval Presence, for vessel clearance
Mother Vessels will have no need to talk to Nigerian customs, Immigration, etc whatsoever, except the Naval Clearance.

Further
A Ship to Ship transfer can be done in the middle of the ocean without any infrastructure. The Challenge is keeping the vessels steady, which will depend on having calm waters. This will not be reliable for serious commercial operation. However this approach can be used for start off. For the long term, I think the best solution is to buy a decommission oil platform or a very large Vessel and find shallower points in the ocean or stubble islands to mount it. Shipping vessels can be gently anchor to such a structure using a pull in mechanism. That is a lot of Engineering though. But companies like Saipem in Nigeria can accomplish it. This does not rule out further dredging the Niger to 12 ft and above, but leaves it for the future when it will be justified by commercial expediency.

Overall, the Company to be formed by Anambra State Govt, and the the Shiping Association should issue IPO to raise funds. They will need to acquire Deck Barges, I checked online and see some used ones that go for about $500,000.00. Secondly they need to seed the route with about two or three Medium Sized Cargo Ships. I think they can do a time charter of some international vessel and place them on the route to say China, Germany and Singapore for about six months. But we already know the business is not already existing but we must build it up hence I prefer an outright buy of two or three vessels. I think they can get fairly used vessels for about $10,000,000.00 that is roughly N1.6 billion each (Consider that Peter Obi is leaving some N20Billion in coffers). Each vessel doing a round trip a month will be quite adequate for a start. An the STS can be done in open seas. Lets not forget gun boats for security. I think I omitted the price of tuggers, they should cost almost same as the barges or more. It will not be a good idea to use articulated barges.

This will create some good jobs for Anambrarian youths. the ships and barges will be requiring crews. So the state government won't do badly thinking of a maritime shipping school now.

Decker Barge
Barges for Sale
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/728129560/DWT_1000t_2000t_3000t_4000t_5000t.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/859834950/High_quality_deck_cargo_barge.html
Ships for sale
http://www.maritimesales.com/ships%20for%20sale.htm

5 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by erico2k2(m): 2:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
chino11:

Big ships cannot sail but batches and vessels which can transport the same quantity as big ships..
Dnt U think that a bit silly?must it be at Onitsha?howbout the already built and functional ports at Warri and Ph?is that nt near home?

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Samxiulee: 2:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
An appeal to my fellow yorubas,
Can you all please stop posting on threads that having nothing to do with the SW?
people from SE always think anything you say about anything there means you are Jealous.
Truth be told we must concentrate more on how we can develop the SW more than what we have now,yes its the best region even if you remove Lagos state from it,but it can get better,pls let's channel our efforts on how we can have more industries,get rid of agberos,omo onile syndrome,make our legion of less educated men major importers like Igbos do rather than play Baba ijebu all day with Iya bola's money,which she made with her petty trade everyday.
I see this everyday and I shake my head.
We have a sea port,they don't why can't we take advantage of it?
Why can't our men also travel to china and import goods into the country?
China goods are everywhere even in Europe,
We need to look inward and leave them alone,if we stop patronising there goods,trust me its over,LG and Thermocool has taking a large chunk in the electronic business from alaba,even though am not proud of it,we can't we do same?

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 08, 2013
erico2k2:
Dnt U think that a bit silly?must it be at Onitsha?howbout the already built and functional ports at Warri and Ph?is that nt near home?
those are serving a different purpose. There is an economic or rather commercial hub around and about Onitsha. It is pretty big, infact companies like SCOA, were trading there before the war. There is a huge price advantage to be gained when we can deliver goods directly cheaply over water. It is also not just the price gain, but the possibility of recapturing from Lagos some of the markets it Onitsha use to serve, especially those around the North East and the Middle Belt. Onitsha still supplies the majority of goods for Benue and Adammawa axis

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 08, 2013
gratieao:
Their problem is simply Inferiority Complex
They are just so annoying.

Especially the e-yorubas, my friends don't behave like these ones undecided

#TeamGOM

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by citizenY(m): 2:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
confusion247:
So the people of south east are no longer part of hypocritical Nigeria? So only northerners has the right to depend the federal government? Kindly tell us what federal government have done in the south east from Obasanjo's era till today.

These are the type of useless statements that prejudice/ ignorance breeds. There is nobody that does not depend on the goverment, one way or the other, buyer/ seller, neighbour/ neighbour, doctor patient. And that is the way it is. Is it not on this thread that some posters confirmed thatFGN has responsibility for port related activities ? Are we not pusing them to do the needful?

If you are so independent why did you not bring the port yourself or bring the sea to Onitsha..?. what I know is that you cannot take Onitsha to the sea.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Saraki’s Ally, Baraje Attacks APC / Court Grants Adeleke Trip To U.S. For Medical Reasons / APC Group Lobbies For Osinbajo To Succeed Buhari (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.