Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,703 members, 7,827,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri (4517 Views)

Rivers Rerun: PDP Berates INEC Over The Spate Of Inconclusive Elections / Ambode Has Just Sold Us To The Hausas In Mile 12 / Clash Between Yoruba And Hausas' In Yaba. -true? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Controversy: 7:48am On Dec 09, 2013
I saw this on Facebook so i decided to share it here with you
Churchill Brains Amakodike: Went to Control today and saw group/numerous of hausa people entering owerri on top of a trailer, about 4 trailers that are with goods have more than 10 to 15 hausa boys on it. What is happening on this IMO state everyday troupes of hausa people will be imported, IMO state government should pls look into this matter o cos the population of hausa's in this state is increasing with big margin, go to Mbaise road they have occupied they entrance with their fake goods and the government is not doing anything about it rather the government is chasing IMO boys on Douglas and other areas, but hausa boys are being left freely to do what the like in our own land Just the other night I saw many hausa boys beating an igbo boy mercilessly @ nekede road cos the are many and can out number igbo boys around Pls state government should do something serious about this before it gets out of hand cos if a serious action is not taking about the importation of this hausa boy to owerri, very soon the will start to drag owerri with us.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Abagworo(m): 7:54am On Dec 09, 2013
Only Abia State has significant Hausa population in the East. Infact there are more Hausas in Umuchieze than the indigenes and we've never heard them complain but rather they tap into the increased business activities brought about by the high Hausa population.

Igbos should not in the process of naively falling for politics of tribalism forget that we are far more in other people's zone.

12 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by gratiaeo(m): 8:00am On Dec 09, 2013
@op don't be mischievous, is Hausas not part of Nigeria again, what if other tribe/states begin to suspect or chase Igbo out their states. Mind you the number of Hausa in Imo can not compare with the number of Igbo in kanu alone

2 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by gratiaeo(m): 8:00am On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: Only Abia State has significant Hausa population in the East. Infact there are more Hausas in Umuchieze than the indigenes and we've never heard them complain but rather they tap into the increased business activities brought about by the high Hausa population.

Igbos should not in the process of naively falling for politics of tribalism forget that we are far more in other people's zone.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by asha80(m): 8:01am On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: Only Abia State has significant Hausa population in the East. Infact there are more Hausas in Umuchieze than the indigenes and we've never heard them complain but rather they tap into the increased business activities brought about by the high Hausa population.

umuchieze in which local goverment?.......op please let us tap into whatever biz activities the hausa bring.....after al igbos are also much in other lands.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Theben(m): 8:03am On Dec 09, 2013
And what is wrong if Hausas flood imo state? Are they not Nigerians? When other states discriminate against the igbos, they will play victims and narrate the history of how they've always wanted Biafra. But they themselves don't tolerate the influx of others tribes into their states. Talking about hypocrisy.

5 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by IKEMBANNEWI: 8:06am On Dec 09, 2013
There was a time i reasoned like you ''What are these people doing in our land'', funny thing was, back then i was in the north ''Their land'' and yet had that mindset.
My point is, go to Sabon Gari in Kano, Or to Old Airport in Sokoto, you'd think you were in Aba and Awka, respectively. We cannot continue flocking to other peoples lands in droves and then keep a long face when they reciprocate the gesture. I, personally have no problem with them relocating and residing in Igboland, so long they dont bring their 'bloodlust' and Fanaticism with them. Alaigbo welcomes all welcomeables! QED

6 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Abagworo(m): 8:07am On Dec 09, 2013
asha 80: umuchieze in which local goverment?.......op please let us tap into whatever biz activities the hausa bring.....after al igbos are also much in other lands.

http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201301070363.html/

Though officially known as Umuchieze cattle market, most people prefer to call it Lokpanta cattle market. It is the largest cattle market East of the Niger. The cattle market which covers more than one square kilometer is a community of its own.

Perhaps, it is on the basis of the rising population of this community which has become a melting pot for people from almost all parts of the country that the leadership of the cattle market association, had since called on the Abia state government to create a political ward in the market to give the traders the opportunity to vote during general elections.

It is located on the ever-busy Enugu - Port-Harcourt Expressway. A first time visitor to the market may likely want to know why the market bears the names of two communities. The only plausible reason is that Lokpanta is more popular than Umuchieze because of the presence of quarry sites in the former community.

The cattle market has become a landmark in Umuchieze. For motorists and passengers travelling along the Enugu - Port-Harcourt Expressway, the sight of several trailers parked on either sides of the road, is an indication that one is approaching Lokponta or Umuchieze, depending on whether one is coming from Umuahia or Enugu.

The trailer drivers carry cattle, bags of beans and ground-nuts from the Northern parts of the country to Lokpanta, and on their way back to the North, they carry mainly palm oil which is used in cooking food and making soap. Indeed, palm oil was the mainstay of the economy of the defunct Eastern region, but with the discovery of crude oil in commercial quantity, the produce was relegated to the background by successive administrations of the nine states carved out of the defunct region.

Umuchieze has equally become a rendezvous for petroleum products tanker drivers from the Northern states who either pass the night there or rest before taking off to their different destinations.

Alhaji Musa Bishara, chairman, Umuchieze Cattle Market Association, told LEADERSHIP SUNDAY that customers come from the states of Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa, Enugu and Imo to buy cattle, goats, rams and local chicken at relatively cheaper prices.

"The prices of the livestock we sell here are comparatively cheap because there are no restrictions placed on cattle traders who come from Sokoto, Katsina, Borno, and other parts of the country, and even from the neighbouring countries of Niger and Cameroun.

"On our main market days which are Tuesday's, Thursday's and Saturday's, no fewer than one hundred trailer load of cattle are brought here for sale. Once they are brought here, they are handed over to the dealers who sell to smaller dealers as well as to retailers", he disclosed.

When LEADESHIP SUNDAY visited the market on Tuesday, many trailer drivers carrying livestock parked their trailers on both sides of the road, and waited endlessly to off-load their goods, and in the process caused a major traffic gridlock on the highway. "What you are seeing today, is symbolic of the volume of traffic recorded here on the market days", said Alhaji Bishara.

The cattle trade is dominated by traders from the Northern parts of the country, nevertheless, there are some Igbo men involved in the cattle trade either as dealers or retailers, a development which has continued to cement the bond of unity between cattle traders from the North and their counterparts in the East.

Besides trading in livestock, other ancillary businesses are carried out in the market. They include and are not limited to selling of hay and fodder in the market.

"These set of traders are important in the market because their services are indispensible and they make good living from them," said Alhaji Bishara.

Mrs. Veronica Nwoga, sells slaughter knives, ropes and canes, She believes that those who do not understand the market regard her business as unimportant, but she admits that she makes a lot of money from it.

She said: "Every cow retailer needs a rope to tow his cow and when you consider the number of cows that are sold in this market, it will give you an idea of the amount of money those of us that sell these small things make in a good day. The same is applicable to the slaughter knives and the canes. I buy the ropes from Aba, while the jack knives are brought by traders from the North.

"With the proceeds from the trade, I have been able to build a house in Umuahia, train my children in the university while my sons have got married as well as my daughters", she said. She has been in this business for eight years. She came to Lokponta on January 6, 2004, following the relocation of the cattle market from Okigwe to Lokponta.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 09, 2013
So what if Hausas flood Imo state? Are Igbos of Imo origin not still migrating to the north despite the boko haram crises? Senseless post! angry

@Abagworo, I think I have passed the market like 5 times on my way to Benue via Enugu from Owerri. It is located at the left side of the expressway if you're going to Enugu from Owerri right?

1 Like

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 8:10am On Dec 09, 2013
Are Hausas not Nigerians? They have the right to live anywhere they choose to. It's not your business. Go get a job.

2 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by PointB: 8:16am On Dec 09, 2013
Let them be, even if they are not Nigerians.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Abagworo(m): 8:22am On Dec 09, 2013
The only reason I'm being suspicious of this kind of insinuation is that it might have political undertone and there might be plots to create political instability by first creating an atmosphere of resentment against Hausas and finally planting a bomb and claiming boko haram has invaded Owerri. The writer should be arrested ASAP as PDP has been known to play this kind of politics.

3 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Asabeq(f): 8:22am On Dec 09, 2013
Op you need a doctor!!or did you smoke elephant grass in place of Igboh? Where in 9ja even in the remote places will you not find an Igbo man. You are just a useless tribalist and trouble maker. Rubbish post

5 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by kolubo(m): 8:24am On Dec 09, 2013
Op am very sure you`re making a living in a town that is not ur own State, if d hausa`s are not complaining of d influx of igbo`s in d north why are u so bitter about them coming to Imo state. Well, if u`re so ma*d on their stay in imo just "GO and ........"
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 8:27am On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: The writer should be arrested ASAP as PDP has been known to play this kind of politics.
It always comes down to PDP. You can't impregante your wife, it's PDP. You failed your exam, it's PDP. Your money is missing, it's PDP. What has PDP got to do with a supposed influx of Hausas into Owerri? Jeez!!!

7 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by kolubo(m): 8:28am On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: The only reason I'm being suspicious of this kind of insinuation is that it might have political undertone and there might be plots to create political instability by first creating an atmosphere of resentment against Hausas and finally planting a bomb and claiming boko haram has invaded Owerri. The writer should be arrested ASAP as PDP has been known to play this kind of politics.
I agree with u he should be arrested.

1 Like

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by gratiaeo(m): 8:29am On Dec 09, 2013
Afam4eva: Are Hausas not Nigerians? They have the right to live anywhere they choose to. It's not your business. Go get a job.
Though as much as they have right to live anywhere they choose we will not underrate their violence nature. There are practical difference between Igbo travelers and Hausas which you know

1 Like

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 09, 2013
Asabeq: Op you need a doctor!!or did you smoke elephant grass in place of Igboh? Where in 9ja even in the remote places will you not find an Igbo man. You are just a useless tribalist and trouble maker. Rubbish post
100 likes!
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by donphilopus: 8:32am On Dec 09, 2013
I love the comments I'm seeing! If you check the number of Igbos in other part of the country, the OP won't spew this trash! They used to say, anywhere you go, and you do not see an Igbo man and Egbira man there, better run from there.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by asha80(m): 8:33am On Dec 09, 2013
donphilopus: I love the comments I'm seeing! If you check the number of Igbos in other part of the country, the OP won't spew this trash! They used to say, anywhere you go, and you do not see an Igbo man and Egbira man there, better run from there.
egbira man kwa?

2 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 09, 2013
gratiaeo:
Though as much as they have right to live anywhere they choose we will not underrate their violence nature. There are practical difference between Igbo travelers and Hausas which you know
You think its only the hausas that have monopoly to violence? Is there any part of this country or in diaspora an Igbo man has migrated to that you haven't heard of crimes committed by an Igbo man? Just as an Igbo man is business oriented,so is the hausa man.

2 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by IKEMBANNEWI: 8:40am On Dec 09, 2013
berem: You think its only the hausas that have monopoly to violence? Is there any part of this country or in diaspora an Igbo man has migrated to that you haven't heard of crimes committed by an Igbo man? Just as an Igbo man is business oriented,so is the hausa man.
Berem i'm beginning to doubt the authenticity of your Igboness, kam gwaziegi nke bu eziokwu. Inasmuch as i aint against you standing up for the ''truth'', there are certain things you type on this forum that depicts not the true trait of an 'Ada orlu' that you claim to be. Udo diri gi

6 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Controversy: 8:40am On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: The only reason I'm being suspicious of this kind of insinuation is that it might have political undertone and there might be plots to create political instability by first creating an atmosphere of resentment against Hausas and finally planting a bomb and claiming boko haram has invaded Owerri. The writer should be arrested ASAP as PDP has been known to play this kind of politics.
Afam4eva: Are Hausas not Nigerians? They have the right to live anywhere they choose to. It's not your business. Go get a job.
berem: So what if Hausas flood Imo state? Are Igbos of Imo origin not still migrating to the north despite the boko haram crises? Senseless post! angry
I hope you will still say the same thing when they start unleashing mayhem in the state with their cow

1 Like

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 09, 2013
IKEMBA NNEWI: Berem i'm beginning to doubt the authenticity of your Igboness, kam gwaziegi nke bu eziokwu. Inasmuch as i aint against you standing up for the ''truth'', there are certain things you type on this forum that depicts not the true trait of an 'Ada orlu' that you claim to be. Udo diri gi
Could you please stick to the topic before you turn the thread to a bashing thread against me? Daalu!
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by asha80(m): 8:44am On Dec 09, 2013
Controversy:

I hope you will still say the same thing when they start unleashing mayhem in the state with their cow
people that unleash mayhem with their cows are fulanis not hausas and that one has been happening for sometime now.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by advocate666: 8:49am On Dec 09, 2013
this op sounds like a yoruba man.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Theben(m): 8:52am On Dec 09, 2013
Controversy:

When they unleash mayhem, the government should take the blame for not providing adequate security. Not all Hausas are Boko Haramists and not all are violent.

The Hausas did not react to the influx of the igbos into their land with statements like "they are criminals, they are kidnappers".

Whoever commits a crime should be prosecuted. The individual should take the blame and not the tribe.

2 Likes

Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by gratiaeo(m): 8:52am On Dec 09, 2013
berem: You think its only the hausas that have monopoly to violence? Is there any part of this country or in diaspora an Igbo man has migrated to that you haven't heard of crimes committed by an Igbo man? Just as an Igbo man is business oriented,so is the hausa man.
I have not heard where a group of Igbo people overrun a village in the night killing/maiming, rapping woman, burning down houses destroying live stocks etc. Mind you i was second person to condemn op. Its not all about Igbo even Yorubas awakening now, Hausas Fulani are like cancer.........
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by pazienza(m): 8:57am On Dec 09, 2013
asha 80: umuchieze in which local goverment?.......op please let us tap into whatever biz activities the hausa bring.....after al igbos are also much in other lands.

Umuchieze is in Umunneochi LGA of abia state.
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 8:57am On Dec 09, 2013
Controversy:

gratiaeo:
I have not heard where a group of Igbo people overrun a village in the night killing/maiming, rapping woman, burning down houses destroying live stocks etc. Mind you i was second person to condemn op. Its not all about Igbo even Yorubas awakening now, Hausas Fulani are like cancer.........

Both of you are obviously ignorant because you don't know the difference between Hausa and Fulani. even the people the OP saw may not even be Hausa. Even if it's Fulani people, so they should be stopped from moving freely just because other fulanis are soiling their name?
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by gratiaeo(m): 8:59am On Dec 09, 2013
Theben:
When they unleash mayhem, the government should take the blame for not providing adequate security. Not all Hausas are Boko Haramists and not all are violent.

The Hausas did not react to the influx of the igbos into their land with statements like "they are criminals, they are kidnappers".

Whoever commits a crime should be prosecuted. The individual should take the blame and not the tribe.
Re-read the post if you didn't get the caption, Hausas are being treated unconstitutionally, they break the law and nobody cares. Pls spare us your gospel!
Re: The Spate Of Hausas In Owerri by IKEMBANNEWI: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2013
berem: Could you please stick to the topic before you turn the thread to a bashing thread against me? Daalu!
gringringrin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu, Taking A Bow And Nearly Kissing The Ground For Buhari / Seun Preparing For Apc's Take Over ; What A Buhari Led Nigeria Will Look Like / Gej Is Being Dejected Everyday On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.