Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,402 members, 7,958,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:06 AM

FG Bans Fish Importation - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / FG Bans Fish Importation (22200 Views)

European Union Bans Importation Of Nigerian Foods / FG Bans The Consumption Of Ogogoro Nationwide / Ondo State Bans ‘ogogoro’, The Local Gin Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by francafrank(f): 12:37pm On Dec 09, 2013
what will happen to those of us who cannot afford the "local fish" but can still buy iced fish at cheap rate for our protein intake

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Olugbenger(m): 12:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
Good news for Benin republic.
grin angry

7 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
phantom: my brother i dont get your point.you ve jumped to exports.abi we no go chop first before we export?

[b]See bros..

The government should focus on providing us with stable power.. This banning and re-banning of goods and merchandise is just a con that we are now aware of..

SO you ban rice.. Now Dangote is the sole seller of rice in the nation. Where do you think those long grain, stoneless, perboiled rice comes from?! NIGERIA?!

Virtually everything that Dangote sells in Nigeria is largely imported including Sugar and salt.

We want to increase the tariffs on imported vehicles to discourage importation of cars and patronization of locally assembled cars.. grin How is that different from what Dangote is doing with rice?! The cars parts are imported just like Dangote imports rice and then assembled locally just like Dangote re-bags the imported rice locally. Then brands them 'Dangote', just like Innoson brands his cars 'innoson'.. But we all know that the cars are originally Chinese in Origin...

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 09, 2013
Presently....a 20kg bag of the local Croaker fish sells close to 25k while a 20kg of the imported carton goes for around 11.5k

By the time they completely ban fish...a bag of croaker of 20kg will go for close to 40k.

They are killing the poor people gradually....

We simply lack the capacity at present to meet the tonnage demanded annually.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by ba7man(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2013
I wish they would first of all reduce or ban fuel importation.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by ba7man(m): 12:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
ilugunboy: Presently....a 20k bag of the local Croaker fish sells close to 25k while a 25k of the imported carton goes for around 11.5k

By the time they completely ban fish...a bag of croaker of 20k will go for close to 40k.

They are killing the poor people gradually....

We simply lack the capacity at present to meet the tonnage demanded annually.
I don't know why all of G.E.J's policies are designed to make things more expensive.

Fuel is now expensive without a clear cut benefit.............Cars will soon become expensive........I'll be honest but these are the two areas that his policies have affected me. There's still no improvement in light for me to give him the benefit of doubt.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Kx: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2013
Lilimax: Another avenue to enrich some selected few ...

But if this is true,it will mean bad market for Emma Bishop Okonkwo (Ekulo's Group).
He is the sole importer of Sardines and Geisha in the country.

Let's wait and see how it goes....
Is it d same Bishop Okonkwo, G.O. of TREM?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Newheart: 12:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
pls I want to comment on a topic
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by dwittyc0der(f): 12:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
smiley

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2013
So what happens to Shawa, Titus<cote and croaker fish? The only fish i know we have in Nigeria is cat fish and bonga fish.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
Always putting the cart before the horse angry
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2013
Let's pause for a second and think:

Are there not human beings that produce the stuff we import ?

Are we not human enough to produce those things ?

I say, we ban every foreign consumables and Nigerians will go back to drawing board to produce what we need.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by simpleseyi: 1:11pm On Dec 09, 2013
This is the best thing Jonathan has done since his assumption of office. Poor masses don't need to eat fish. Chickens and turkeys have been banned since by the monster called Obasanjo thereby making the poor masses eat more of low quality fish because prices of the smuggled frozen foods have sky rocketed. Now that Jonathan has taken the best decision of his life since the time he married Dame Sheppopo by banning importation of fish, the poor masses should eat their eba or fufu without fish or chicken or meat. That is the punishment for being poor. Where were your parents when others were embezzling money and looting the treasury? You can all "Go and Die". Jonathan's over 1.3 billion naira food budget can buy him human beings, I suspect that is what he eats.

Several nonentities have died and have been taken to "heaven and hell" by the "angels" before they resurrected and made CD naming all the people they saw in hell. None of them saw Maryam Babangida, Segun Agagu, Sanni Abacha, Augustus Aikhiomu,, Mike Akhigbe, Jonathan's brother, Dame Shepopo's foster mother and other looters. I beg help me ask all the Lazarus that are making and selling CD of heaven and hell visit that who and who did they see.

GOD is watching on a 5D television.

7 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by chucky234(m): 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ozonna:

Can we get tunas,sardines,etc in our waters?
No way.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by MajeMedia: 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
WOO! My dad started a fish farm 2 years ago and it's prospering, now he'll be rich!!

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by rusher14: 1:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
simpleseyi: This is the best thing Jonathan has done since his assumption of office. Poor masses don't need to eat fish. Chickens and turkeys have been banned since by the monster called Obasanjo thereby making the poor masses eat more of low quality fish because prices of the smuggled frozen foods have sky rocketed. Now that Jonathan has taken the best decision of his life since the time he married Dame Sheppopo by banning importation of fish, the poor masses should eat their eba or fufu without fish or chicken or meat. That is the punishment for being poor. Where were your parents when others were embezzling money and looting the treasury? You can all "Go and Die". Jonathan's over 1.3 billion naira food budget can buy him human beings, I suspect that is what he eats.

Several nonentities have died and have been taken to "heaven and hell" by the "angels" before they resurrected and made CD naming all the people they saw in hell. None of them saw Maryam Babangida, Segun Agagu, Sanni Abacha, Augustus Aikhiomu,, Mike Akhigbe, Jonathan's brother, Dame Shepopo's foster mother and other looters. I beg help me ask all the Lazarus that are making and selling CD of heaven and hell visit that who and who did they see.

GOD is watching on a 5D television.

Have you considered a career in comedy?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 09, 2013
what of us that dislike and don't eat fresh water fish. The ban is going to affect okporoko(stock fish) too as they are imported from nordic countries.

So the only option we have is those tasteless and slimy cat fish.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Emytexboy(m): 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
[quote author=ochejoseph]Seriously I used to think it was a bad Idea but not anymore ,

1 with the No of Titus Gesha etc that Nigerian Students alone consume any right thinking Company would have thought of establishing a processing plant in Nigeria but No! For several Decades this Guys prefer to create Jobs for their people and ship the Fish for us to CONSUME

2. When the Obasanjo administration banned chicken I was a student at that time , I screamed to the heavens that it was suicidal as we lacked cgrin gringrin
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Jhymrod(f): 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
I hope they will now recognise we Aquaculture nd fisheries student.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by idupaul: 1:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
ba7man: I don't know why all of G.E.J's policies are designed to make things more expensive.

Fuel is now expensive without a clear cut benefit.............Cars will soon become expensive........I'll be honest but these are the two areas that his policies have affected me. There's still no improvement in light for me to give him the benefit of doubt.

We just have to make sure he pays dearly for all these fu9cked up moves at the polls.. GEJ no be am at all

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by obayaya(m): 1:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
otokx:

We cannot create our brand in the absence of infrastructure; lets stop deceiving ourselves.

otoks why are you so pessimistic..

do you think local investment will thrive when there are foreign brands?

creating a supply gap is the best way to encourage local and foreign investors to come in and fill it..

it's simple economics.

you seem to hate this government so much.. and seriously I'm beginning to lose all the respect I have for you..
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by benzion72(m): 1:22pm On Dec 09, 2013
The minister of Agric is over driving his good fortune. Do we have the capacity to meet our local demand for fish consumption? It is a good idea but, he should have work on local production ascertain it level and see that there is glut,before slamming the ban
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
So we dey import fish sef??

Abi fish don pack komot for Nigerian waters? undecided
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by simpleseyi: 1:28pm On Dec 09, 2013
benzion72: The minister of Agric is over driving his good fortune. Do we have the capacity to meet our local demand for fish consumption? It is a good idea but, he should have work on local production ascertain it level and see that there is glut,before slamming the ban

The minister of Agric never had any good fortune. He appears on television giving us statistics and figures of what he has done, how food production have increased in his father's village and in Otuoke but prices of food items have increased by more than 50% in the last 12 months. My grandmother does not understand the figures and statistics that the minister of Agric gives on television but my grandmother knows that the price of a bag of rice has increased by about 50% in the last 12 months. I eat food, I don't eat statistics, maybe the minister of Agric eats statistics and figures. Maybe Jonathan too buys and eat statistics with his over 1.3 billion annual food budget.

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by chucky234(m): 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2013
What do expect from a govt run by clueless birdbrains, just because people are farming cat-fishes everywhere they suddenly think catfishes are suitable replacement for titus,croakers,sabalo,tuna,herring and sardines.
Jokers masquerading as leaders.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Gabrielsylar(m): 1:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
No more girls be dat o
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by obayaya(m): 1:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
simpleseyi:

The minister of Agric never had any good fortune. He appears on television giving us statistics and figures of what he has done, how food production have increased in his father's village and in Otuoke but prices of food items have increased by more than 50% in the last 12 months. My grandmother does not understand the figures and statistics that the minister of Agric gives on television but my grandmother knows that the price of a bag of rice has increased by about 50% in the last 12 months. I eat food, I don't eat statistics, maybe the minister of Agric eats statistics and figures. Maybe Jonathan too buys and eat statistics with his over 1.3 billion annual food budget.

the price will increase because demand will be greater than supply.. but will only last until the gap in supply is filled..

this is a sacrifice we all must make for a better tomorrow..

entrepreneurs should start investing in Rice, fish and
cassava...

adani Rice in ebonyi State is presently getting very high patronage.. and investors are eyeing it already

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
A Good Education is not necessarily a sign of Intelligence.. Hon. Minister, have you met local demands or even created incentives and infrastructure to begin exporting. Can you make public this Research that supports this policy so cynical Nigerians like myself can validate it against other successful countries who have solved their food problem by exporting fish.. aren't our waters muddied with Oil to support productions for local consumption or exportable quantities?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Beans Lovers / If A Wife Owns A Restaurant, Should The Husband Pay After Eating? / Cake Freak!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.