Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

FG Bans Fish Importation - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / FG Bans Fish Importation (21887 Views)

European Union Bans Importation Of Nigerian Foods / FG Bans The Consumption Of Ogogoro Nationwide / Ondo State Bans ‘ogogoro’, The Local Gin Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by chucky234(m): 1:42pm On Dec 09, 2013
Billyonaire: Let's pause for a second and think:

Are there not human beings that produce the stuff we import ?

Are we not human enough to produce those things ?

I say, we ban every foreign consumables and Nigerians will go back to drawing board to produce what we need.

Cluelessly dumb as always, most of those fishes are imported from Argentina,Ireland and Norway.
Maybe you should set the pace and start fishing in bar-beach.

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by simpleseyi: 1:44pm On Dec 09, 2013
obayaya:

the price will increase because demand will be greater than supply.. but will only last until the gap in supply is filled..

this is a sacrifice we all must make for a better tomorrow..

entrepreneurs should start investing in Rice, fish and
cassava...

adani Rice in ebonyi State is presently getting very high patronage.. and investors are eyeing it already

So, for the mean time, we should be eating statistics garnished with demand and supply. What a nutritious meal!

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by jentlsoul: 1:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
Jona wan begin to expand his fish business here in naija after 2015. It is not good ooo I.e monopoly of fish market. Lol.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by flonnal: 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
The Govt at times takes decisions without considering the effect to the masses. Fish is better than red meat,The Niger delta areas are polluted with oil, where are we going to get fish.hmm

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Realdeals(m): 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 1:47pm On Dec 09, 2013
ilugunboy: Presently....a 20kg bag of the local Croaker fish sells close to 25k while a 20kg of the imported carton goes for around 11.5k

By the time they completely ban fish...a bag of croaker of 20kg will go for close to 40k.

They are killing the poor people gradually....

We simply lack the capacity at present to meet the tonnage demanded annually.

[b]The answer is simple..

For as long as the conditions & cost of production abroad remains cheaper than the cost of production locally, it will continually remain cheaper to import.

E.g: Imagine that you and I go to a bank and get a loan to buy a medium sized fishing trawller, here are the potential pit stops we have to face;

1. Unsafe water. (Piracy and militancy)

2. High bank interest rate on our loan.

3. Poor to unavailable technicians to keep our trawler in good running conditions.

4. Multiple taxation from the government

5. High cost of fuel

6. Multiple agency/regulatory body levies (NIMASA, Nigerian Inland waterways, Ministry of commerce & industry levy, Nigerian Navy, Nigerian wildlife conservation agency, Nigerian Ministry of Agriculture and rural development, e.t.c..

7. High cost of generating power for Cold storage, e.t.c

8. Parking cost for Ships.

9. Stiff competition from the likes of Stallion Group.. Same Group this is in the Rice importation rackeet and more..

10. ................................

All these put together, how would local product not be more expensive?![/b]

6 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by grandstar(m): 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
I told a friend of mine that in the 18th century, when the Queen of France was told that the people of France were complaining that there was no bread, she recommended they should eat cake.

My friend was shocked and send they should cut off her head. And I smiled and said that is what they did!

People are hungry and fish which is one of the cheapest sources of protein is being banned! The Agric minister may mean well bnut he is on a wrong path .. Prov 14:12, Prov 16:25.

Do you know that the world produces enough food to feed 12billion people? Yet out of a world population of 7billion, 1 billion go to bed hungry? Isn't it scandalous? India produces enough food to feed itself and even export but hunger is a huge problem in that country.

Why is this so? Because the primary cause of hunger is not a lack of food. It is actually alack of money. Is there not enough food in our markets. Many of these foods even rot in the face of prevailing hunger.

The agric minister is simply worsening the problem. Food in many countries is more expensive than it necessarily is because of either high import duties, quotas or outright bans on food imports. Will this not simply increase the price of food? That is what it actually does.

One will argue that should a country not be able to feed itself. If you believe that myth, then you probably believe that India beat Nigeria 99-0.

You do not have to be able to feed yourself to be a developed or rich country.Britain can not feed itself. Singapore or Hong Kong can not feed themselves. Saudi Arabia and most Gulf States can not feed themselves. Yet are they poor? The people there are well fed or do you think I am lying. Are Saudi's or even Libyans starving? Some of you have been there. Is not almost all their foods imported? You will think in these countries food grows in supermarkets! It is because the people have the money to buy[i][/i] the food

Countries do not grow rich by being self sufficient.It is a myth. They grow rich by focusing resources in areas they have comparative advantage. This secret has been known since the 19th century.Look at what the oil sector alone has done for this country.If we had six products like that, do you think Nigeria will be poor. A Jack of all trades is usually a master of none.By specializing, you will rule the world.

We are good in cocoa, sorghum, snails (if well harnesses can bring in up to a $1b), kolanuts( almost $500 if also well harnessed) and several other products.

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 1:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
Did I read it correct, that they are banning importation of cars? To stimulate local production? We cant even make petrol and there is crude oil everywhere!

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by myOGAonTOP: 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2013
ifyalways: Story.

It will still be in the mkt only thing is that it will become expensive. Who wanna eat fishes from Nigerian mammy water infested waters ? tongue

Truth is bitter: it takes a mammy water to recognise another mammy water.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by jentlsoul: 1:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
Fisherman (jonadaff) trying to promote and monopolize fishing business. Jonar bootlickers pls don't quote me for any reason.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by CyrusLevi(m): 1:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
What Federal Government is simply saying is foreign fishes and their importers and marketers should Go and Die grin undecided
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
This is the problem with Nigerian. Why some are complaining, some are strategising how to hit it big with fish farming.
Always look for ways to profit from change of govt policies instead of complaining.

Set up your fish farm now. It doesn't cost much to start.
If you feel, ppl need salt water fish and can't afford trawlers, research it as a business. Team up with some friends and buy one and rent/hire it out. Or employ fishermen to fish for you and pay them salaries. This is the way to think.

I remember earlier this year, one guy saw the prospects in fish farming and resigned from his workplace (shell abroad).
He did not just set up farm but a fish processing plant, they dry , produce oil and other bye products. The guy is an Anambrarian and he setup his farm in his village sumwhere in Anambra, providing employment for some unemployed in his town. This story was on news and even on frontpage here in nairaland.

We need to change the way we think. Its not enough to be be a graduate. We just have to put our brains to work to profit from every change in policy

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 2:00pm On Dec 09, 2013
These countries are wealthy but either dont produce or cultivate significant amounts of rice:

South Africa
Switzerland
Luxemburg
USA
UK

Nigeria needs to invest in infrastructure, then the wealth will come. Banning rice import is silly. They cant control the outflow of oil bunkering yet they want to ban rice.
grin

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by ochejoseph(m): 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2013
MAY GOD BLESS THE WOMB THAT CARRIED YOU

YOU ARE ON POINT

mercylicious: This is the problem with Nigerian. Why some are complaining, some are strategising how to hit it big with fish farming.
Always look for ways to profit from change of govt policies instead of complaining.

If you feel, ppl need salt water fish and can't afford trawlers, research it as a business. Team up with some friends and buy one and rent/hire it out. Or employ fishermen to fish for you and pay them salaries. This is the way to think.

I remember earlier this year, one guy saw the prospects in fish farming and resigned from his workplace (shell abroad).
He did not just set up farm but a fish processing plant, they dry , produce oil and other bye products. The guy is an Anambrarian and he setup his farm in his village sumwhere in Anambra, providing employment for some unemployed in his town. This story was on news and even on frontpage here in nairaland.

We need to change the way we think. Its not enough to be be a graduate. We just have to put our brains to work to profit from every change in policy
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by mankand(m): 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2013
Well i think the FG have just recovered from the Hangover of Ogogoro.

I sincerely support this move with full support. The problem with such ban is that all these fish will still find its way into Nigeria hereby creating more problems for the poor masses who will suffer it.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2013
Idiotts and paid synchophants masquerading as social commentators.
Una do well o.
Anyway,i expect the smart to take advantage and enrich themselves as usual.
Let the rest continue to shout 'monopoly'.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by PurestBoy(m): 2:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
phantonce: most of u just comment witout reasoning. u complain of no job and here they are trying to create employment.
instead of taking ur chances in the ban,u keep complaining.
if I may ask,wat do u want from the govt?
d govt aren't that gullible to ban witout backup.same was said about cement,chicken,eggs e.t.c and we nw see the results.
a word is enough for the wise

Do you know how many market women that sell fish in the market will be affected? How many jobs have Govt created from all her policies and why trust them now? Do you know if the minister just want to be bribed or already have large fish production by proxy to boost his business?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
Why should we import fish to start with?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by gratiaeo(m): 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
I quit supporting this GEJ administration!
GEJ to hell with you and your insensitive policies
#relocating to cotonou

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2013
mercylicious: This is the problem with Nigerian. Why some are complaining, some are strategising how to hit it big with fish farming.

You think say na Cat fish we dey talk about here? grin

We dey talk say the poor people amongst us wey no fit afford geisha before, now don enter 1 chnave, you dey talk of farming.. grin Who go buy your fish?!

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 09, 2013
GOOD GOVERNANCE!!!!! grin grin grin grin

We are moving forward... Slowly though but we are moving.

Dancing Skelewu grin grin grin
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 2:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
speedyboi: Why should we import fish to start with?

Why should we ban it in the first place?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
speedyboi: Why should we import fish to start with?
I am surprised that many can't seet this.
For a nation of 170million,with one of the smallest GDP/CAPITAL,we can't use our meagre resources in importing stuffs like food,especially when we have an abundant sea life and high-scale unemployment.
It's madness.
This absurdity is comparable to the importation of petrol when we can simply create refineries and refine our own crude
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by gratiaeo(m): 2:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
grandstar: I told a friend of mine that in the 18th century, when the Queen of France was told that the people of France were complaining that there was no bread, she recommended they should eat cake.

My friend was shocked and send they should cut off her head. And I smiled and said that is what they did!

People are hungry and fish which is one of the cheapest sources of protein is being banned! The Agric minister may mean well bnut he is on a wrong path .. Prov 14:12, Prov 16:25.

Do you know that the world produces enough food to feed 12billion people? Yet out of a world population of 7billion, 1 billion go to bed hungry? Isn't it scandalous? India produces enough food to feed itself and even export but hunger is a huge problem in that country.

Why is this so? Because the primary cause of hunger is not a lack of food. It is actually alack of money. Is there not enough food in our markets. Many of these foods even rot in the face of prevailing hunger.

The agric minister is simply worsening the problem. Food in many countries is more expensive than it necessarily is because of either high import duties, quotas or outright bans on food imports. Will this not simply increase the price of food? That is what it actually does.

One will argue that should a country not be able to feed itself. If you believe that myth, then you probably believe that India beat Nigeria 99-0.

You do not have to be able to feed yourself to be a developed or rich country.Britain can not feed itself. Singapore or Hong Kong can not feed themselves. Saudi Arabia and most Gulf States can not feed themselves. Yet are they poor? The people there are well fed or do you think I am lying. Are Saudi's or even Libyans starving? Some of you have been there. Is not almost all their foods imported? You will think in these countries food grows in supermarkets! It is because the people have the money to buy[i][/i] the food

Countries do not grow rich by being self sufficient.It is a myth. They grow rich by focusing resources in areas they have comparative advantage. This secret has been known since the 19th century.Look at what the oil sector alone has done for this country.If we had six products like that, do you think Nigeria will be poor. A Jack of all trades is usually a master of none.By specializing, you will rule the world.

We are good in cocoa, sorghum, snails (if well harnesses can bring in up to a $1b), kolanuts( almost $500 if also well harnessed) and several other products.

We don't have leaders in this country.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2013
gratiaeo:
We don't have leaders in this country.

We are niggas... What do you expect?!

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by korm2me(m): 2:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
if dy knw dy kant provide all d species of fish dat we enjoy now,then dy should tink twice. I knw some species of fish are nt in nigerian waters.my favorite is d atlantic mackerel aka scomber scombus.. If u kant provide it dnt dare
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 2:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
Nigerian leaders, clueless as usual. Are there any subsidies or incentives to invest in aquaculture
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
otokx:

We cannot create our brand in the absence of infrastructure; lets stop deceiving ourselves.

You are wrong Brother. This is a way to force those fish importers to operate their industry here.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by gratiaeo(m): 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
solomon111: I am surprised that many can't seet this.
For a nation of 170million,with one of the smallest GDP/CAPITAL,we can't use our meagre resources in importing stuffs like food,especially when we have an abundant sea life and high-scale unemployment.
It's madness.
This absurdity is comparable to the importation of petrol when we can simply create refineries and refine our own crude
Why not stop importation of fuel, Why always hitting the poor masses? Since we stop importation of cement, rice etc how has it affect our economy

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We like to welcome you on-board this Fresh Air flight to Space. Flight duration is 6 years and we are expecting a fairly smooth flight to 2019.

Once again we thank you for choosing to fly with us and we hope you enjoy your flight. grin grin
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by sulemontar(m): 2:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
Akshow: Govt ban importaion of cars

" " " " " " Importation of geisha

Importation of fish
Importation of turkey

Importation of rice.

Yeye de smell. Make dem ban air join na. One eeeediot go jus wake up begin ban without any local substitute on ground.
I support u die...cuz no enogh found for d local 1 ....
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by sulemontar(m): 2:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
sulemontar: I support u die.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Poundo Yam Or Pounded Yam? / Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. / Eating Dog Testicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.