Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

FG Bans Fish Importation - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / FG Bans Fish Importation (21888 Views)

European Union Bans Importation Of Nigerian Foods / FG Bans The Consumption Of Ogogoro Nationwide / Ondo State Bans ‘ogogoro’, The Local Gin Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by ifebosco: 5:34pm On Dec 09, 2013
phantom: honestly they all have a positive ripple effect on the economy.why are you not seeing the jobs this policy will create as a good thing?
because we don´t have the basic infratructure"power"
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

Nigeria should spend so much on raising fishes artificially when we can be focused on refining fuel locally and using flared gas to power plants and industries..

Not every locally available good must be banned.. Thats why its called commerce.. The day I tasted the difference between Coca Colas 'Cappy' and Coca Colas 'Minute maid', I officially stopped drinking locally packaged juice... angry

Please don't quote me out of contest. The purpose of this discuss is not to win an argument but to share ideas.

Producing fish is not the job of the Govt. rather that should be the interest of potential investors. If the Nigeria market have a high demand for Mackerel fish, investors would be forced to import baby Mackerels for genetic breeding to meet the market demand and they'll reap maximum return on their investment, thereby creating more jobs for the Nigeria people.

On the other hand, we have different species of fishes in our aquatic ecosystem which can be harvested for production of sardines and geisha in Nigeria. After all, we were importing wheat to produce bread until it was banned and as usual everyone cried and cursed the Govt, but today Nigerians queue to buy Cassava bread at Shoprite and it tastes 10 times better than wheat bread.

It has also created many jobs in both the agricultural sector, baking profession and the retail market.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by phantom(m): 5:38pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

No Power,
No Road
No Water
No railways
High taxes
Multiple taxes
Unfavorable market conditions
poor technical/technological/mechanical and IT support
Insecurity
weak economy
poor research
Lack of skilled labour
High interest rates

Meanwhile, the government has just removed the cheapest source of protein, Omega 3 and other nutirent from the reach of the poor..

Some people are supporting it saying that we should start producing our own food locally which is cool.. However, how many poor families can afford our locally caught & reared fish?!

How many Nigerian homes can afford "LIVE CHICKEN"?!

grin

Next thing na to ban the eating of Kpomo in Nigeria to promote our leather industries.. grin Meanwhile, poor man no get 1 lether product for ehn body.. Even ehn bathroom slippers sef no be leather.. grin

May Baba God never allow you to see poverty with your eyes.. Just because you dey chop food with assorted meat, no mean say na so everybody dey chop o!! Even Kpomo sef is no longer cheap for some homes.. Incase una don forget, minimum wage is 20 Thousand Naira (which is not even being paid in all states sef) and 20'k minimum wage means approximately 650 Naira per day.. How much be catfish again?! grin

I think what we need is a genuinely poor Prosident and leaders.. The rich in Nigeria have all lost touch with reality. No wonder David Mark once said GSM is not for the poor.. Now Geisha is soon gonna be not for the poor.. Next on their list will be Kpomo and Pure water.. grin After that Amageddon.. grin
classic! grin grin
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
Good! We might send the excess of fish produced in the country to South Africa. I am glad to hear this encouraging news!
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 6:00pm On Dec 09, 2013
rudedough:

Please don't quote me out of contest. The purpose of this discuss is not to win an argument but to share ideas.

Producing fish is not the job of the Govt. rather that should be the interest of potential investors. If the Nigeria market have a high demand for Mackerel fish, investors would be forced to import baby Mackerels for genetic breeding to meet the market demand and they'll reap maximum return on their investment, thereby creating more jobs for the Nigeria people.

On the other hand, we have different species of fishes in our aquatic ecosystem which can be harvested for production of sardines and geisha in Nigeria. After all, we were importing wheat to produce bread until it was banned and as usual everyone cried and cursed the Govt, but today Nigerians queue to buy Cassava bread at Shoprite and it tastes 10 times better than wheat bread.

It has also created many jobs in both the agricultural sector, baking profession and the retail market.

[b]Na wah o!!

Cassava bread tastes better than Wheat bread.. I thought taste was subjective as well?!

And nobody is trying to win any arguement.. This is simply a debate of for or against. I am against and I think I am beginning to repeat myself too much.

You dont put the cart before the wheel. There are steps for achieving set goals. You spoke of hybrid fishes, artificial ponds, etc.. I am no farmer, but I'm sure these things require alot of attention, time, energy, manpower, money and also Power to keep the artificial pond and fishes in the best condition to thrive.

Its all well and good on paper, but what ultimately happens is that whoever decides to invest in such an 'overly high capital intensive project' would end up transfering that cost to the consumers. Which thereby makes the cost of the product more expensive in the end..

Now the consumer should always have the power to choose. If a man wants to eat basmati rice, I dont believe that the government has the right to deprive him of his right to choice.

Let me ask you how the ban on the importation of Poultry has affected the price of locally raised birds? Has the price of LIVE CHICKEN decreased?! NO!!! Has the price of EGGS decreased?! NO!!!! What about the byproduct of Chickens like manure for farming.. Has that also decreased in price?! HELLSS NOOOO! reason being that though we have banned the importation of birds, its still not less expensive to raise those birds in Nigeria because the factors that I have listed in a previous post still abounds.. Its as simple as that..

Cassava and Chicken are not the same thing. Garri has always been cheap because cassava has never been an imported commodity. Neither have we had the need for hybrid stems or irrigation to grow cassava locally. As long as Garri remains a staple food, cassava would always be cheap.

I say the government should focus on the things that fall within our scope for now. Focus on power. Focus of refining our crude locally. Focus on stopping flaring and channelling the gas being flared to generate more electricity. WIth electricity, mechanized farming cost would be slashed considerably. Farmers can afford to store temperature sensitive drugs and chemicals for farming longer at a reduced cost. Farmed produced can also be stored for long periods at a reduced cost. The saved cost can always be rechannelled into expanding operations or employee welfare. Everybody wins.

But in this case.. Alot of families will go without fish if this move is made by the government.

I sir will end my post with a passage from the Jewish religous book called the bible and it goes thus;

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and every other thing shall be added unto you... Selah".. Thats the same thing Nigerians have continously failed to do which is seek what should be sought after first... E.g;

Nigerian Police is bad.. = Change their uniforms.. grin
Imporve Agriculture = Ban imported agricultural products... grin
Cement is too expensive = ban the open importation of cement and limit it to only a few importers (Old price of cement 950, today its over 1600 per bag)
Encourage local manufacturing = Ban importation of cars.

What next?! improve local tourism = Ban foriegners grin

[/b]

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by warrior01: 6:01pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

No Power,
No Road
No Water
No railways
High taxes
Multiple taxes
Unfavorable market conditions
poor technical/technological/mechanical and IT support
Insecurity
weak economy
poor research
Lack of skilled labour
High interest rates

Meanwhile, the government has just removed the cheapest source of protein, Omega 3 and other nutirent from the reach of the poor..

Some people are supporting it saying that we should start producing our own food locally which is cool.. However, how many poor families can afford our locally caught & reared fish?!

How many Nigerian homes can afford "LIVE CHICKEN"?!

grin

Next thing na to ban the eating of Kpomo in Nigeria to promote our leather industries.. grin Meanwhile, poor man no get 1 lether product for ehn body.. Even ehn bathroom slippers sef no be leather.. grin

May Baba God never allow you to see poverty with your eyes.. Just because you dey chop food with assorted meat, no mean say na so everybody dey chop o!! Even Kpomo sef is no longer cheap for some homes.. Incase una don forget, minimum wage is 20 Thousand Naira (which is not even being paid in all states sef) and 20'k minimum wage means approximately 650 Naira per day.. How much be catfish again?! grin

I think what we need is a genuinely poor Prosident and leaders.. The rich in Nigeria have all lost touch with reality. No wonder David Mark once said GSM is not for the poor.. Now Geisha is soon gonna be not for the poor.. Next on their list will be Kpomo and Pure water.. grin After that Amageddon.. grin

Went through your argument here and to be frank with you, you are not really making any sense; just unnecessarily paranoid. Nigeria, in the first instance, has no business importing fishes and other agricultural produce which we can easily farm here. How do we create jobs for the teeming jobless youths, save our foreign exchange and reserves and think of developing our economy without banning most of this things we have comparative advantage on. We are always so quick to blame the govt for our laziness when actually, opportunities abound in this country. The fact remains that majority of the populace are simply not patriotic enough to move this country to the next level. They are so quick to condemn every policy of the govt without critically looking at how to make use of the opportunity being created. We are so quick to condemn our country and praise others like China forgetting that latter closed her economy to any form of importation for 30 years.
To all forward looking Nigerians, tis time again to ignore the pessimists and never do wells around us and look at this great opportunity being presented by the government for the general wellbeing of our economy. God bless you all
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by warrior01: 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]Na wah o!!

Cassava bread tastes better than Wheat bread.. I thought taste was subjective as well?!

And nobody is trying to win any arguement.. This is simply a debate of for or against. I am against and I think I am beginning to repeat myself too much.

You dont put the cart before the wheel. There are steps for achieving set goals. You spoke of hybrid fishes, artificial ponds, etc.. I am no farmer, but I'm sure these things require alot of attention, time, energy, manpower, money and also Power to keep the artificial pond and fishes in the best condition to thrive.

Its all well and good on paper, but what ultimately happens is that whoever decides to invest in such an 'overly high capital intensive project' would end up transfering that cost to the consumers. Which thereby makes the cost of the product more expensive in the end..

Now the consumer should always have the power to choose. If a man wants to eat basmati rice, I dont believe that the government has the right to deprive him of his right to choice.

Let me ask you how the ban on the importation of Poultry has affected the price of locally raised birds? Has the price of LIVE CHICKEN decreased?! NO!!! Has the price of EGGS decreased?! NO!!!! What about the byproduct of Chickens like manure for farming.. Has that also decreased in price?! HELLSS NOOOO! reason being that though we have banned the importation of birds, its still not less expensive to raise those birds in Nigeria because the factors that I have listed in a previous post still abounds.. Its as simple as that..

Cassava and Chicken are not the same thing. Garri has always been cheap because cassava has never been an imported commodity. Neither have we had the need for hybrid stems or irrigation to grow cassava locally. As long as Garri remains a staple food, cassava would always be cheap.

I say the government should focus on the things that fall within our scope for now. Focus on power. Focus of refining our crude locally. Focus on stopping flaring and channelling the gas being flared to generate more electricity. WIth electricity, mechanized farming cost would be slashed considerably. Farmers can afford to store temperature sensitive drugs and chemicals for farming longer at a reduced cost. Farmed produced can also be stored for long periods at a reduced cost. The saved cost can always be rechannelled into expanding operations or employee welfare. Everybody wins.

But in this case.. Alot of families will go without fish if this move is made by the government.

If you think the govt is putting the cart before the horse, pls do also remember that you can't make an omellete without breaking an egg. Thanks
More so, Sir with all due respect, am a farmer and I know how the ban on the importation of poultry products has greatly lifted our production capacity. Yeah, there are still challenges due to smuggling activities of unscrupulous elements in the society, but a great policy it has been so far.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
warrior01:

Went through your argument here and to be frank with you, you are not really making any sense; just unnecessarily paranoid. Nigeria, in the first instance, has no business importing fishes and other agricultural produce which we can easily farm here. How do we create jobs for the teeming jobless youths, save our foreign exchange and reserves and think of developing our economy without banning most of this things we have comparative advantage on. We are always so quick to blame the govt for our laziness when actually, opportunities abound in this country. The fact remains that majority of the populace are simply not patriotic enough to move this country to the next level. They are so quick to condemn every policy of the govt without critically looking at how to make use of the opportunity being created. We are so quick to condemn our country and praise others like China forgetting that latter closed her economy to any form of importation for 30 years.
To all forward looking Nigerians, tis time again to ignore the pessimists and never do wells around us and look at this great opportunity being presented by the government for the general wellbeing of our economy. God bless you all

I was going to respond to you until the 'You are not making sense' part of your post struck me!!

Why do you folks feel the need to always say that?! Like you have the monopoly on 'sensibility'?! Again sir, 'sense' like you put it is subjective, thus making it wrong to say somebody does not make sense.. E.g:

Sardines are fishes and are not found locally in our waters.. Thats why rudedough kept hammering on the use of hybrid ponds and fingerlings to rear them locally which like I told him comes at a price.. A price which you and I will have to pay..

to be continued..
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

Na wah o!!

I think i'll disagree on some of your points here. The fishes that will be genetically modified will be the fishes that is not available in our aquatic ecosystem.

We have different species of fish which should be affordable to the poor in Nigeria. There are different options of fishes in our aquatic ecosystem. So if a poor man chooses to go for the imported fishes against locally produced fish, i don't think that should be anyone's concern or fault.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
warrior01:

If you think the govt is putting the cart before the horse, pls do also remember that you can't make an omellete without breaking an egg. Thanks
More so, Sir with all due respect, am a farmer and I know how the ban on the importation of poultry products has greatly lifted our production capacity. Yeah, there are still challenges due to smuggling activities of unscrupulous elements in the society, but a great policy it has been so far.

I am happy that you sir are a farmer.. Now I ask you; How has the ban on the importation of locally reared birds and the increase in production of these locally reared birds affacted the price of the following products;

1. Chicken

2. Eggs

&

3. Manure
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by adconline(m): 6:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
phantom: please explain to me how this is gibberish.am i missing something?
There can never be development without steady power. How can fishermen store that produce where there is no power? How can we have agri-processing industry to make sardines when there is no power? It's folks like these govt officials who have not owned and run biz in Naija that make these stupid policies. Do know know if Naija has a comparative/absolute advantage in fishing and fish processed products?
Why can't these officials ban foreign medical trips for public officials? Send their kids abroad for education?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by warrior01: 6:47pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

I am happy that you sir are a farmer.. Now I ask you; How has the ban on the importation of locally reared birds and the increase in production of these locally reared birds affacted the price of the following products;

1. Chicken

2. Eggs

&

3. Manure

Sorry, if you find that insultive cos I never meant like that. There has been tremendous improvement in our capabilities in poultry meat production though we are still far behind some African countries like Egypt and South Africa. With the ban, Youths who are without the financial power to go into poultry farming are encouraged to go into contract farming for bigger farms who provide the birds, feed, drugs et al and are paid the agreed sum at the end of each batch. With these, jobs are being created for hitherto jobless youths, they are lifted up financially and, and above all, the knowledge and experience actually acquired cannot be over emphasized.
Coming to the issue of prices, they are actually coming down as economies of scale comes into play. Happened this year, as there was a glut in egg production which forced the price of eggs to come down drastically.
Let me tell you; with the ban, many companies are springing up everyday. Those that are into feed production, drugs manufacturing and especially maize and soys farming are on the increase. All these are putting money in people's pockets. I wish you know the joy it brings and how it feels to be highly productive and helping to feed the nation.
We should encourage this govt cos the agric business is still highly untapped in this country. Thanks

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2013
adconline:
There can never be development without steady power. How can fishermen store that produce where there is no power? How can we have agri-processing industry to make sardines when there is no power? It's folks like these govt officials who have not owned and run biz in Naija that make these stupid policies. Do know know if Naija has a comparative/absolute advantage in fishing and fish processed products?
Why can't these officials ban foreign medical trips for public officials? Send their kids abroad for education?

Without adequate investment in infrastructure, all this we are talking about agricultural independence is a waste of time. As usual the govt is focusing on the wrong things.
angry

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Aderupoko2: 8:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
This government and their kindergarten policies. Not everybody in Nigeria likes eating catfish.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:42pm On Dec 09, 2013
This policy will hurt but only in the short term! Nigeria MUST be able to feed itself and not rely on oil revenues alone to support it.

Very quickly the indigenous fish industry should be built up. Then the ban can be relaxed for any fish needed from further afield.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by yang(m): 8:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]Na wah o!!

I sir will end my post with a passage from the Jewish religous book called the bible and it goes thus;

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and every other thing shall be added unto you... Selah".. Thats the same thing Nigerians have continously failed to do which is seek what should be sought after first... E.g;

Nigerian Police is bad.. = Change their uniforms.. grin
Imporve Agriculture = Ban imported agricultural products... grin
Cement is too expensive = ban the open importation of cement and limit it to only a few importers (Old price of cement 950, today its over 1600 per bag)
Encourage local manufacturing = Ban importation of cars.

What next?! improve local tourism = Ban foriegners grin

[/b]

Baba why u go dey argue on a topic you know nothing about. You can't be an expert in everything, Leave farming to farmers.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by adconline(m): 8:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
KoloOyinbo: This policy will hurt but only in the short term! Nigeria MUST be able to feed itself and not rely on oil revenues alone to support it.

Very quickly the indigenous fish industry should be built up. Then the ban can be relaxed for any fish needed from further afield.

How can indigenous fishing industry benefit when govt has not provided infrastructure?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 9:05pm On Dec 09, 2013
warrior01:

Sorry, if you find that insultive cos I never meant like that. There has been tremendous improvement in our capabilities in poultry meat production though we are still far behind some African countries like Egypt and South Africa. With the ban, Youths who are without the financial power to go into poultry farming are encouraged to go into contract farming for bigger farms who provide the birds, feed, drugs et al and are paid the agreed sum at the end of each batch. With these, jobs are being created for hitherto jobless youths, they are lifted up financially and, and above all, the knowledge and experience actually acquired cannot be over emphasized.
Coming to the issue of prices, they are actually coming down as economies of scale comes into play. Happened this year, as there was a glut in egg production which forced the price of eggs to come down drastically.
Let me tell you; with the ban, many companies are springing up everyday. Those that are into feed production, drugs manufacturing and especially maize and soys farming are on the increase. All these are putting money in people's pockets. I wish you know the joy it brings and how it feels to be highly productive and helping to feed the nation.
We should encourage this govt cos the agric business is still highly untapped in this country. Thanks

Well said and understood..

Now here is another truth you seem to be over-looking;

- Though local production of Chickens have increased, the cost of Chicken has not decreased but rather gone higher.

And the reason for this is that you farmers are still spending so much money to raise those birds. Luckily, I grew up in a house with a thriving poultry of 5000 birds and understand the cost associated with poultry. From feed to vaccines to the cost of keeping your birds warm etc.. Now though more people are now employed, more people can no longer afford to eat chicken.

And the same thing would happen to fish.. Catfish as it currently is now is already expensive, imagine what will happen with the ban. The first fish to be affected is our beloved mackerel.. People will now be forced to eat Kpomo. And we all know it will also be a matter of time before that comes under fire as well.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by 5thNOTE: 9:14pm On Dec 09, 2013
No matter how we have come to stay with irregularities, D use of twistedness and backward alternative of solving problems, it doesnt make them right. U never set D cart be4 D horse, even though both are moblie. GEJ should have made capable provision on ground be4 embarking on banning fish import, rice import and others. Were ppl are nt provided with tools to work, no matter D banning they will seek escape point frm that pressure without substitution through other means. Provide upto-standard fishing equipment, open factories, build neccessary infastructre and u dont need to wake D ppl to any task as they openly see ways to achieve any thing.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by chucky234(m): 9:21pm On Dec 09, 2013
mercylicious: This is the problem with Nigerian. Why some are complaining, some are strategising how to hit it big with fish farming.
Always look for ways to profit from change of govt policies instead of complaining.

Set up your fish farm now. It doesn't cost much to start.
If you feel, ppl need salt water fish and can't afford trawlers, research it as a business. Team up with some friends and buy one and rent/hire it out. Or employ fishermen to fish for you and pay them salaries. This is the way to think.

I remember earlier this year, one guy saw the prospects in fish farming and resigned from his workplace (shell abroad).
He did not just set up farm but a fish processing plant, they dry , produce oil and other bye products. The guy is an Anambrarian and he setup his farm in his village sumwhere in Anambra, providing employment for some unemployed in his town. This story was on news and even on frontpage here in nairaland.

We need to change the way we think. Its not enough to be be a graduate. We just have to put our brains to work to profit from every change in policy
The thing is you can never be able to eat tilapia or catfish for three days in a week let alone frequently in a whole year like mackerels,titus and croakers.
Those fertilizer breed catfishes and tilapia are only good for occassional pepper soup,stew or jollof rice at most and not for draw or egusi soup as you'll be bored of the soup in two days.
There is no profit to derive from this devilish policy, FG as with all their policies got this wrong.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by adconline(m): 9:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
Another dumb policy from dumb officials . Making the same mistake over and over a d expecting different results. Banning has not solved our problems, why do we keep repeating it? Some guys are going to be importing these products through Cotonou, Niger and Cameroun borders.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:24am On Dec 10, 2013
adconline:
How can indigenous fishing industry benefit when govt has not provided infrastructure?

SAME AS MOST OTHER COUNTRIES! THE PRIVATE SECTOR> This has been done elsewhere. There was a very good report aired internationally on Al-Jazerra about this topic several month ago. It showed some local businesses thriving and all set to expand. Nigerians are resilient and resourceful. Provide a market and there will be a means to fill it!

Of course if Government wish to assist initially by the provision of grants/subsidies to local projects then that also is a good idea but government cant do everything itself.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by taobao123: 3:37pm On Dec 10, 2013
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by adconline(m): 7:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
KoloOyinbo:

SAME AS MOST OTHER COUNTRIES! THE PRIVATE SECTOR> This has been done elsewhere. There was a very good report aired internationally on Al-Jazerra about this topic several month ago. It showed some local businesses thriving and all set to expand. Nigerians are resilient and resourceful. Provide a market and there will be a means to fill it!

Of course if Government wish to assist initially by the provision of grants/subsidies to local projects then that also is a good idea but government cant do everything itself.

What a display of idiocy! No country is badly run like Naija,that is potentially endowed and blessed like Naija
Folks like you keep comparing Naija to Mali, Somali, Afghanistan and Niger.
We should be looking to countries like Brazil, Vietnam, South Africa, Mauritus, Turkey, Indonesia and Malaysia.
South Africa with a population of over 40m generates 40K MW while Nigeria with over 160m generates 4K MW. How can you strive to be like them in terms of development without fixing infrastructure?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by tpia5: 4:34am On Dec 11, 2013
Ban fish importation meaning what?

I don't know of any country in the world which doesn't import fish though.

Is it stockfish and mackerel they're banning?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by tpia5: 4:36am On Dec 11, 2013
Aderupoko2: This government and their kindergarten policies. Not everybody in Nigeria likes eating catfish.

Fresh water fish can't substitute for salt water fish also.

Both can be eaten concurrently, this policy doesn't make much sense to me.

Fish is the poor man's meat, in nigeria.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 11, 2013
tpia@:

Fresh water fish can't substitute for salt water fish also.

Both can be eaten concurrently, this policy doesn't make much sense to me.

Fish is the poor man's meat, in nigeria.

As a matter of fact, the Government is favoring the poor in Nigeria than he/she understands.

* Fish is healthier than meat and chicken.

* Fish is richer in nutrients than meat and chicken.

* Fish is more expensive in developed countries for its nutritional values but cheaper in Nigeria.

Bottom line is, poor men eat better source of protein than their rich counterpart. Let them eat more fish, it's good for their health.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 11, 2013
warrior01:

You are not gathering your thoughts before you make your opinion.. in clearer terms, you are looking at the issue in isolation from other dependent (and critical) factors.

1: Nigeria, in the first instance, has no business importing fishes and other agricultural produce which we can easily farm here
You are right for the first part, with over 160 million people, we should have no business importing food and crops. We have an arable land-mass of 39.5% of which only 46% is on agricultural land. If you put this into perspective, it is like comparing the goal post to the entire stadium.. how do you suppose we can feed ourselves. get Jesus to Xerox some more fishes

We have Agro-Research Agencies, we have willing Farmers from crops to livestock, commercial etc. Most of which are private sector initiatives. How much of Nigerian ventures do you see get as much funding from local banks and Federal government to boost their farming business, how much of our Fertilizer (subsidized) actually gets to farmers if they are not smuggled out of the country.

China closed her economy to encourage local innovation and industrialization.. do you realize how much the Government of China invested in private companies and human capital and infrastructure before they could achieve their goals. How has our government fared in this regard.

Let me remind you and your likes, here is what GEJ proposed from the 2013 Budget. letus see how much of work was actually achieved

Agriculture
20. My Administration has instituted key policy reforms to establish staple crop processing zones aimed at attracting the private sector into areas of high production, reducing post-harvest losses, and adding value to locally produced commodities. So far we have succeeded in attracting $7.8 billion investment commitments to the agricultural sector. These investments and the value chain approach being used to transform the sector have the capacity to create 3.5 million additional jobs in the medium term by 2015.

• You will recall that Government provided incentives to support cassava value chains, including zero duty on machinery and equipment to process high quality cassava flour. Cassava bread is increasingly commercially available with 20% cassava flour content. In addition, a total of one million metric tonnes of dried cassava chips, are being exported to China this year.

• Achieving self-sufficiency in rice production in 2015 remains our target. In response to our new fiscal measures, 13 new private sector rice mills with a capacity of about 240,000 metric tonnes have been established. These mills buy and process local paddy and create employment for Nigerians.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/jonathan-presents-2013-budget/#sthash.F4CAa5n6.dpuf

Do you realized that none of the above has seen fruition.. and you expect that putting the horse before the cart is the best way forward..
You can ignore pessimists.. it is a good practice, but you cannot ignore realists, they are your best bet to moving this country forward and keep God out of this, his blessings have zero impact on our economy and well being since this nation was founded.. PEACE
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by tpia5: 5:48pm On Dec 11, 2013
rudedough:

As a matter of fact, the Government is favoring the poor in Nigeria than he/she understands.

* Fish is healthier than meat and chicken.

* Fish is richer in nutrients than meat and chicken.

* Fish is more expensive in developed countries for its nutritional values but cheaper in Nigeria.

Bottom line is, poor men eat better source of protein than their rich counterpart. Let them eat more fish, it's good for their health.

Eating fish also makes for more intelligent babies, this is an unproven fact and yes, some fish do contain harmful levels of dangerous substances, however the ones in nigeria so far have been exempt imo. Don't know about now.

Kudos to whoever was in charge of the fish import business.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by mozek24: 6:29am On Dec 12, 2013
Well, I know some people are very angry with govt probably due to so many failed policies and poor infrastructure but we also have to look at the positive side to every policy. If there is a ban, there is a ban; and nothing we say here can change it. Instead, we should take advantage of it. Some of us are well read and looking for a white collar job and when it does not come on time you are very angry and looking for every opportunity to throw blame. Apart from govt some even blame their parents for being poor. Or blame God for making them a Nigerian. WRONG!

What I like about this govt or this period is that it gives us the opportunity to think positively and be creative. Forget about certificate, think of how to add value with or without assistance from anyone be it family, friend or govt. Start something now no matter how small. An average person on Nairaland is educated/exposed. Whatever you do now you do it better than the ordinary man that didn't go to school.

Some of us are too proud to bend, change that orientation.

The ban on imported fish has created a very big market for the smart guys. Open your eyes and ears. You can choose to be among the smart ones.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 12, 2013
mozek24: Well, I know some people are very angry with govt probably due to so many failed policies and poor infrastructure but we also have to look at the positive side to every policy. If there is a ban, there is a ban; and nothing we say here can change it. Instead, we should take advantage of it. Some of us are well read and looking for a white collar job and when it does not come on time you are very angry and looking for every opportunity to throw blame. Apart from govt some even blame their parents for being poor. Or blame God for making them a Nigerian. WRONG!

What I like about this govt or this period is that it gives us the opportunity to think positively and be creative. Forget about certificate, think of how to add value with or without assistance from anyone be it family, friend or govt. Start something now no matter how small. An average person on Nairaland is educated/exposed. Whatever you do now you do it better than the ordinary man that didn't go to school.

Some of us are too proud to bend, change that orientation.

The ban on imported fish has created a very big market for the smart guys. Open your eyes and ears. You can choose to be among the smart ones.

1: This is not about Pride. It is about MEANS, there is an Opportunity like you pointed out, how many have the means to sustain local demand. this is not some Hotels or Guest Houses we are talking about. It is about supporting a whole community for starters, then region, then country. Even Obasanjo Farms cannot sustain a region talkless of a country. How many have access to funding like OBJ does, How many banks are willing to give Long-term loans to "Smart" people (like you put it) to start such ventures

2: You are not talking about Creative Opotunities, what you have just explained are Exploitative Opportunities. ones created by misfortune of economy.. e.g FG cannot provide clean water, so you start making pure water from bore-holes to sell to cover this gap. it is exploitative because you make money for yourself and put a strain on others to pay you at prices they would not have paid if FG had done her work well. This is Wickedness not Creativeness

3: You cannot add Value if you do not have an Enabling Environment that Empowers you. You cannot start an Idea without the basic foundation on which it will grow and thrive.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by KoloOyinbo(m): 2:55pm On Dec 12, 2013
adconline:

What a display of idiocy! No country is badly run like Naija,that is potentially endowed and blessed like Naija
Folks like you keep comparing Naija to Mali, Somali, Afghanistan and Niger.
We should be looking to countries like Brazil, Vietnam, South Africa, Mauritus, Turkey, Indonesia and Malaysia.
South Africa with a population of over 40m generates 40K MW while Nigeria with over 160m generates 4K MW. How can you strive to be like them in terms of development without fixing infrastructure?

IDIOCY?? It is not idiocy to illustrate what you must do. If you find it difficult then try harder. I have worked regularly in Naija for over 12 years so I KNOW you can do if you try.

LETS GET RID OF THIS IDEA THAT NIGERIA HAS UNIQUE PROBLEMS. I HAVE TRAVELLED AND WORKED ALL OVER THE WORLD. OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS ALSO.

If people spent as much time trying to solve their problems as in making poor excuses for why they can sit back and do nothing except moan then progress would be possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Poundo Yam Or Pounded Yam? / Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. / Eating Dog Testicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.