Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,053 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

FG Bans Fish Importation - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / FG Bans Fish Importation (21874 Views)

European Union Bans Importation Of Nigerian Foods / FG Bans The Consumption Of Ogogoro Nationwide / Ondo State Bans ‘ogogoro’, The Local Gin Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by kubi240: 2:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
[quote
author=ifyalways]Story.

It will still be in the mkt only thing is that it will become expensive.
Who wanna eat fishes from Nigerian mammy water infested waters ?
tongue[/quote]u ar a foolish limpopo thier waters no get mammy water
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 2:31pm On Dec 09, 2013
gratiaeo:
Why not stop importation of fuel, Why always hitting the poor masses? Since we stop importation of cement, rice etc how has it affect our economy

Abi? Ask them o! Why dont we stop importation of fuel or better yet the industrial scale theft of crude oil, nko? $1billion a month in oil theft! So we are banning import of rice and fish, like its something that will suddenly make naija richer. Sometimes our people are so easily swayed by the bullcrap the politicians spew. Why dont we ban importation of cellphones as well? We are banning car import might as well ban them as well.

4 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
gratiaeo:
Why not stop importation of fuel, Why always hitting the poor masses? Since we stop importation of cement, rice etc how has it affect our economy
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by sulemontar(m): 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
Kx: Govt just keep banning everything bannable even when there is no ready made and easily affordable subsitute.

Why dont they first start by banning the importation of refined pet products that we have the crude in abundance so as
to force our refineries to work or cause new ones to spring up?
true talk. My nigga
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
rudedough:

You are wrong Brother. This is a way to force those fish importers to operate their industry here.

So the companies should catch their fishes in obodo oyinbo and bring them here to Nigeria where everything is more expensive grin

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:34pm On Dec 09, 2013
gratiaeo:
Fuel is a major commodity.
It would be foolishness for govt to stop it now when we can't sufficiently refine for local consumption.
By the time dangote refineries come on stream and govt stops fuel imports,i hope you won't start complaining about monopoly.
And yes,banning cement has helped the economy by the creation of jobs as increase in demand of local cements has led to increase in supply by dangote and co which has led to the employment of increased manpower.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by frodobee: 2:37pm On Dec 09, 2013
Sometimes I play a game on myself after reading articles like this. Like I just did now, I imagined Bola Tinubu as President reeling out these wonderful policies. Then I re-read the comments.

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by sulemontar(m): 2:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
phantonce: most of u just comment witout reasoning. u complain of no job and here they are trying to create employment.
instead of taking ur chances in the ban,u keep complaining.
if I may ask,wat do u want from the govt?
d govt aren't that gullible to ban witout backup.same was said about cement,chicken,eggs e.t.c and we nw see the results.
a word is enough for the wise
lol....if deir is no good infastructure nd power supply aw did d govt wana cope...u talkn abt chicken is deir nt frozen chicken in d mkt....as pa cement d license is onli given 2 dangote to import b4,,,buh nau I tink e nau bag it nigeria here....dis govt dos nt av good plan @ alll....b4 ani policy deir must b a backup 4 it as soon as u put ban on it buh in d case of nig govt no bckup b4 ban
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by noblejames: 2:40pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ozonna:

Can we get tunas,sardines,etc in our waters?
Tuna is not a native of Nigeria....
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:41pm On Dec 09, 2013
It seems Nigerians don't realize yet that our comparative advantage is in agriculture.
Agriculture as a whole contributes up to 40% of our GDP.
If we want to create enough jobs,we need to develop all the forms of agriculture available to us.
And we can't keep looking for the easy way out by importing.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 2:43pm On Dec 09, 2013
solomon111: Fuel is a major commodity.
It would be foolishness for govt to stop it now when we can't sufficiently refine for local consumption.
By the time dangote refineries come on stream and govt stops fuel imports,i hope you won't start complaining about monopoly.
And yes,banning cement has helped the economy by the creation of jobs as increase in demand of local cements has led to increase in supply by dangote and co which has led to the employment of increased manpower.

Silly

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
sulemontar: lol....if deir is no good infastructure nd power supply aw did d govt wana cope...u talkn abt chicken is deir nt frozen chicken in d mkt....as pa cement d license is onli given 2 dangote to import b4,,,buh nau I tink e nau bag it nigeria here....dis govt dos nt av good plan @ alll....b4 ani policy deir must b a backup 4 it as soon as u put ban on it buh in d case of nig govt no bckup b4 ban
Most of these countries that import these fishes to Nigeria are developing countries.
They also have power and infrastructural deficits.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by obayaya(m): 2:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
simpleseyi:

So, for the mean time, we should be eating statistics garnished with demand and supply. What a nutritious meal!

you are being unnecessarily pessimistic..

have a positive outlook to life..

only time will tell If this is a good move
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by GentleFrank(m): 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
Wow ! This can encourage local production !!!
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
Naijamericana:

Silly
Naijamericana.?
Funny name.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2013
chucky234: Cluelessly dumb as always, most of those fishes are imported from Argentina,Ireland and Norway.
Maybe you should set the pace and start fishing in bar-beach.

I think you're rather STU.PID.

Do Argentinians eat their sea water fish? YES

Do Irelandians eat their sea water fish? YES

Do Norwegians eat their sea water fish? YES

SO WHY IN THE NAME OF POPSICLE CAN'T YOU EAT YOUR OWN FISH? embarassed embarassed embarassed

I hate Nigerians mentality. I bloody hate it. I just want to nuke the $hit out of that f@$ked up country called Nigeria. Nothing good ever pleases Nigerians. The word "NIGERIA" irks the $hit out of me. embarassed embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 09, 2013
rudedough:

Does Argentinians eat their sea water fish? YES

Does Irelandians eat their sea water fish? YES

Does Norway eat their sea water fish? YES

SO WHY IN THE NAME OF POPSICLE CAN'T YOU EAT YOUR OWN FISH? embarassed embarassed embarassed

I hate Nigerians mentality. I bloody hate it. I just want to nuke the $hit out of that f@$ked up country called Nigeria. Nothing good ever pleases Nigerians. The word "NIGERIA" irks the $hit out of me. embarassed embarassed embarassed

You mean nothing mediocre should please Nigerians
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 2:51pm On Dec 09, 2013
rudedough:

Does Argentinians eat their sea water fish? YES

Does Irelandians eat their sea water fish? YES

Does Norway eat their sea water fish? YES

This is one reason why we may never become self-sufficient,rich and industrialized.
The people fuccking hate themselves with a complete lack of self-belief.
If Nigerians were a majority in china 30years ago,they would've have to be eliminated for that country to become what it's now.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
Okija_juju:

So the companies should catch their fishes in obodo oyinbo and bring them here to Nigeria where everything is more expensive grin

No sir, you can breed any type of fish in Nigeria with the right genetic modification.

You can grow tomato that taste like onion if you want to.

You can grow orange that taste like mango if you want to.

You can do anything you want with the right genetic engineering. Many countries are doing it, why can't we?
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Naijamericana: 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2013
solomon111: Naijamericana.?
Funny name.

Cheap shot bro. A country that has abundant crude oil should be exporting refined products overseas. Stop making excuses for our leaders' incompetence. Suddenly, we realize we need to start investing in agriculture. Naija used to be number one in palm oil production but we let the Malaysians overtake us. Dont be upset if you live in a country with a low PPP GDP per capita. Dont worry when I start my palm tree plantation you can come and plant the seedlings from NIFOR and work the mill. wink

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 09, 2013
solomon111: This is one reason why we may never become self-sufficient,rich and industrialized.
The people fuccking hate themselves with a complete lack of self-belief.
If Nigerians were a majority in china 30years ago,they would've have to be eliminated for that country to become what it's now.

I honestly don't know why Nigerians hate anything made in Nigeria. I don't know, i just can't understand.

Same Peak milk but my mum would ask me to buy Peak Milk Holland even when it cost N10 more. What nonsense?

I just hate the mentality of Nigerians. i f%$king hate it. It makes me sick in the stomach.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by lastmessenger: 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
ifyalways: Story.

It will still be in the mkt only thing is that it will become expensive. Who wanna eat fishes from Nigerian mammy water infested waters ? tongue
i wonder why people talk like this.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
Babe u dey vex oooo
Jhymrod: I hope they will now recognise we Aquaculture nd fisheries student.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
solomon111: Most of these countries that import these fishes to Nigeria are developing countries.
They also have power and infrastructural deficits.

Wrong approach.. look closely at Government support for policies, infrastructure and funding of local industries that contribute to the the nation's GDP.. sure they are privatized and profitable.. do you know how many SMEs in Nigeria are begging BOI (Bank of Industry) to release funds for viable agro-allied initiatives and how many have actually received funding?. I hate it when peeps just spout of statements without delving deeper.. it is in the same non-chalance our illiterate ministers form policies that will shame their alma-matter abroad

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by favourume(f): 3:15pm On Dec 09, 2013
phantonce: most of u just comment witout reasoning. u complain of no job and here they are trying to create employment.
instead of taking ur chances in the ban,u keep complaining.
if I may ask,wat do u want from the govt?
d govt aren't that gullible to ban witout backup.same was said about cement,chicken,eggs e.t.c and we nw see the results.
a word is enough for the wise

This is just the answer to all of us complaining there is no job. When the FG bans a commodity, it creates a structure whereby there is room for gap and this gap is supposed to bridge by me and you. Yet all we do is constant abuse of the Govt. Why do not we open our small fish ponds, rice milling company, cement depot. Even N50,000 can help make tins happen.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by favourume(f): 3:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
voltron:

Wrong approach.. look closely at Government support for policies, infrastructure and funding of local industries that contribute to the the nation's GDP.. sure they are privatized and profitable.. do you know how many SMEs in Nigeria are begging BOI (Bank of Industry) to release funds for viable agro-allied initiatives and how many have actually received funding?. I hate it when peeps just spout of statements without delving deeper.. it is in the same non-chalance our illiterate ministers form policies that will shame their alma-matter abroad

We will get there, na small small grin. Now BOI is trying to get funds accross. Even commercial banks have been told to give loans to credible business. With this ban, we will have people to sell to.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by obeski13(m): 3:23pm On Dec 09, 2013
Kudos to FG for his ambitious stand 'n reviving agric in nigeria..there is no way such a decision will not result in temporary discomfort.but at d end of d day.it will be to d benefit of d country...all over d world agric and agroallied industries have been d highest employers of labour.if we want to solve our unemployment problem.dis policy is one of d ways we can achieve it
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2013
voltron:

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by solomon111(m): 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2013
voltron:

I heard maku say on TV that bank lending to farmers have increasdd from 1.5-4% this year due to a shock-absorbing fund created for the banks by the FG.
I don't know how true this is though.
Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Okijajuju1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
rudedough:

No sir, you can breed any type of fish in Nigeria with the right genetic modification.

You can grow tomato that taste like onion if you want to.

You can grow orange that taste like mango if you want to.

You can do anything you want with the right genetic engineering. Many countries are doing it, why can't we?

[b]Easier said than done sir..

For such high powered research to thrive, you need good and stable power supply. You also need good and stable education system (as most researches are carried out by universities). O and lets also not forget that there is a limit to how much one can bend science as it stands.

My take is that rather than focus on sponsoring researches aimed at trying to grow fishes on trees, lets first of all fix the things that are within our immediate control, like Fuel.. Maybe we should first start trying to sponsor researches that would reduce our reliance on imported petroleum products.

We cant have it all.. Nigerias problem is not that we are not self reliant in home grown food stuff. Its because we are not self reliant in anything.

Sardines can be imported from Morocco, I dont care, but atleast lets be exporting the petroleum products that we have to them as well.. Malaysia can keep selling us phones, but how about we start selling them cocoa or cashew nuts..

This banning habit is the dumbest idea ever.. Imagine, we banned importation of packaged juice, but allow Dangote and CHI Nigeria import processed juice and re package it to sub-standard quality and sell it to us.. grin Thats why I either drink freshly squeezed juice or buy imported brands because all the governments policy has done is take away my consumer right to chose and give these companies a sort of mopolistic hold on an entire country..

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Fish Importation by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
Naijamericana:

Why should we ban it in the first place?
because we don't need it. Let us package and garnish the 'alarans' and 'kotes' grin in Nigeria and they will taste just as good as geisha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Poundo Yam Or Pounded Yam? / Easiest Way To Remove Protective Slimy 'mucus' From The Skin Of Catfish. / My Vegetable Soup Recipe Using Frying Method (pics And Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.