Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala (1920 Views)

Economy: Okonjo-iweala’s Hidden Figures By Governor Adams Oshiomhole / Economy: Okonjo-iweala’s Hidden Figures By Governor Adams Oshiomhole / Troops Capture Gwoza Destroying The Headquarters Of The Boko Haram This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Donmams(m): 6:34am On Dec 10, 2013
Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala yesterday said corruption was destroying the nation’s economy and called on the nation’s private sector to support the federal government in its war against corruption and other areas of economy where wastages occur.

The minister who made the appeal during a Breakfast Dialogue with the Private sector organised by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG) held at the Intercontinental Hotel in Lagos, said the problem of corruption, theft and wastages has constituted an albatross to the country’s rapid development.

Okonjo -Iweala at a meeting that attracted business moguls and technocrats like the richest man in Africa Alhaji Aliko Dangote, founder of Visafone Communication Limited, Chief Jim Ovia, Chairman Stanbic IBTC Mr. Atedo Peterside, the Managing Director of Bank of Industry Dr. Evelyn Oputu, among others lamented that government was not getting enough support from the private sector in terms of robust policy implementation

“Corruption is a serious issue for us because it is destroying our country, eating deep into the fabrics of the economy, we can’t have infrastructure and development with these level of corruption.”

“We are not helpless, but we need your help to grow the economy and it will begin with the private sector joining hands to help government fight corruption, mismanagement and waste in government.

“It begins with you to say I would not pay bribe, not only will I not pay, I will report to authorities, also by supporting those trying to fight corruption, not castigating those trying to fight it, where we are not doing well point it out to us, anywhere you see wastage report to us, we would do something about it,” she added.

The minister added that the fight was not for one individual or government noting that corruption was also rampart in the private sector.

“We need to have the courage to start the corruption fight, fighting corruption is not an easy thing, because you risk a lot of things but you must continue to fight it, she decleared”

Harping on the state of the nation’s economy the minister whose presentation dwelt on “ Nigeria : Macroeconomics Performance And Outlook For 2014 “ said Inflation was 7.8% at the end of October showing a continual downward trend for the 10th consecutive month, down from 12.3% in December 2012 .

http://leadership.ng/news/101213/corruption-destroying-our-economy-okonjo-iweala
Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Tsmooth1(m): 6:45am On Dec 10, 2013
Then who are the corrupt people? Your colleagues, Who is encouraging it? Jonathan. Then why dont you just resign?

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by takedat(m): 7:49am On Dec 10, 2013
Donmams:

“Corruption is a serious issue for us because it is destroying our country, eating deep into the fabrics of the economy, we can’t have infrastructure and development with these level of corruption.”

“We are not helpless, but we need your help to grow the economy and it will begin with the private sector joining hands to help government fight corruption, mismanagement and waste in government.

“It begins with you to say I would not pay bribe, not only will I not pay, I will report to authorities, also by supporting those trying to fight corruption, not castigating those trying to fight it, where we are not doing well point it out to us, anywhere you see wastage report to us, we would do something about it,” she added.

The minister added that the fight was not for one individual or government noting that corruption was also rampart in the private sector.

“We need to have the courage to start the corruption fight, fighting corruption is not an easy thing, because you risk a lot of things but you must continue to fight it, she decleared”

http://leadership.ng/news/101213/corruption-destroying-our-economy-okonjo-iweala

I am glad this is coming from a leading light of this administration, and she deserves kudos for having the gut to admit the audaciousness of corruption and heinous profligacy in this country. Many of our pin-headed officials like Okupe, Maku and their Nairaland puppets won't admit to this ugly truth, instead they would give it a tribal/ethnic coloration and claim stories of monumental corruption and waste are just being orchestrated by the enemies of Jonathan to discredit his Government.

How do we join hands with Government to help fight corruption, waste and mismanagement? Did we not see how Government initially waved aside an evidence of waste(NCAA-Oduah BMW's) only to embark on a trail of the whistle-blower, threatening fire and brimstone? Can a citizen be so motivated, when he knows the final resting place of most half-hearted corruption investigations is either in the trash bin of EFCC/ICPC or in an abandoned cabinet in the Presidency after constituting needless committees to serve as red-herrings? How do we help in this fight when some untouchables in government are seen as Symbols of corruption who wear their loot as a badge of honor?

Corruption is the bread and butter of business activity in the civil service, if an official demands bribe from me who do I report to? Is it the Permanent Secretary or the directors of MDA's who are Kings and Queens of corruption? Do we have EFCC or ICPC desk(s) in all our MDA's and public institutions? N0! Do we have EFCC or ICPC offices in all the states of the federation? NO! Is the EFCC and ICPC well-funded? NO! Are these agencies truly independent? NO!

Yes, the fight against corruption is not for Government alone but Government needs to instill confidence in the people by doing the right things. Corruption is the bane of Nigeria's development!

13 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by dridowu: 8:05am On Dec 10, 2013
Tambuwal Voice : the body language encourages corruption

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by jamace(m): 8:16am On Dec 10, 2013
GEJ can be our Mandela if he can fight corruption and bring corruption to an end.

I have always say it that no matter how good the intentions and works of GEJ are, if he doesn't fight corruption, his good intentions and works will be rubbished.

It is so sad that these days, people hustle to get political appointments in order to have the opportunity to loot, not to lead.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by 1025: 8:19am On Dec 10, 2013
yes ooo iweala. madam, u rejected corruption on ur first coming and got the ax but ur second coming is compromised.
everybody is shouting corruption, corruption so i ask madam world bank, who is corrupt? the head quarters of corruption is aso rock.
N1b food for the first family is an annual celebration of corruption madam.
let us call a spade one.

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by since1914(m): 8:43am On Dec 10, 2013
I would rather the minister had kept quiet. She is preaching to the wrong congregation. She should be lecturing her colleagues in government and not the private sector, who against all odds have literally made something out of nothing. In spite of all the obstacles and bribe-seeking government officials, Nigerian businessmen have weathered the storm. It is not enough for government to make good policies, it must also create the right environment to ensure that these policies work.

No businessman goes around looking for who to bribe, knowing fully well that this will eat deep into his profits. I think she was only grand-standing, because she already knows that the private sector has no choice. In all the countries where government officials insist on collecting bribes before anything is done, it has become a deliberate policy for corporations and private businesses to made provisions for those bribes as part of the cost of doing business. All foreign companies doing business in Nigeria and countries like Russia and even China, know that they will have to part with bribe money at one point or another.

The onus is now on the government to protect the private sector from corrupt public officials and civil servants, but if it cannot do that then, the private sector have no choice but to continue giving bribes to keep their businesses afloat.

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by vatoslocos: 8:53am On Dec 10, 2013
Ngozi is an honest woman
Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 10, 2013
This is like an armed robber saying that armed robberies are making our streets unsafe.

7 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by ballabriggs: 9:02am On Dec 10, 2013
But President Jonadunce said corruption is not the problem.

Ovoko! Minister talk one, President talk the other. Clueless and directionless regime led by a drunken sailor fisherman.

MUHEHEHEHE ANIMALS

5 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by kokoA(m): 9:07am On Dec 10, 2013
Confused government.. Na private sector wan go help una fight corruption.. Mcheewww. She should start by talking Oduah, her colleague and friend.

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 10, 2013
Okonjo iweala is now a member of the apc

1 Like

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by omenka(m): 9:43am On Dec 10, 2013
This one wey bingo never begin dey bark, e be like say he never see dis one o!

1 Like

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by omenka(m): 9:54am On Dec 10, 2013
A:

With all due respect madam, shut the hell up!!

1 Like

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Desola(f): 10:05am On Dec 10, 2013
When corruption starts to call itself out, then you know that the problem is of epidemic proportion.

The same people who are responsible for siphoning wealth for Jonathan are the same ones coming out to denounce him.

They must think we are not only blind to their evils but also dementedly dumb too.

That this bloated buffoon would come out to say this is a slap on our faces. Who should be the poster child for corruption if not you, madam wahala? Not only are you vicariously liable for the corruption, you are a primary suspect! You must think that you can still ride on the goodwill you garnered in Obj's government. Well alas! You are soiled and your secret is out in the open.

Isn't it convenient that you deem it necessary to say this now just after sanusi ousted you lot?

Ugly whale!

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Ngwakwe: 10:44am On Dec 10, 2013
The truth is;

Most of your (whoever is reading this) Parents were/are corrupt and you were trained and raised to lie and cut corners with proceeds from corruption you gained the advantage you have now over everyday-people that toil on our streets.

Corruption is now our culture. It infested the society by the non payment of salaries and accumulation of debt owed to workers and contractors by the government in the 2nd Republic. In a bid to survive some people sold their souls to devil while others seek for second/third salaries by collecting and demanding bribes, gratification and over invoicing among many vices just to survive non payment of salaries owed them including teachers for up to six months or more.

The solution to corruption can only come from our homes, legislating stiffer and unambiguous penalties by the NASS while the Courts deliver judgements speedily without fear or favour nomatter who is involved.

It will take years to re-engineer you.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by biafranqueen: 10:56am On Dec 10, 2013
Some people are very naive Smh. Come on now who do you think the King Makers are in Nigeria, the men that put Presidents in office, using money to make sure the laws are twisted to favor them? I know that most making these comments are consumer minded individuals, they don't know how the game is played, so I don't blame them. These same ones I can bet, have never made one move to make Nigeria a better place, but can only come out and comment with a bigoted heart.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 10, 2013
1025: yes ooo iweala. madam, u rejected corruption on ur first coming and got the ax but ur second coming is compromised.
everybody is shouting corruption, corruption so i ask madam world bank, who is corrupt? the head quarters of corruption is aso rock.
N1b food for the first family is an annual celebration of corruption madam.
let us call a spade one.

Principles became divisible, I suppose.
Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by otokx(m): 11:38am On Dec 10, 2013
NOI is destroying Nigeria faster than corruption and that is just a fact.
Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Kairoseki77: 11:44am On Dec 10, 2013
The worst thing you can do is report corruption to the authorities. The authorities will just ask for bribe before beginning an investigation. And if the godfather finds out that you went to the authorities, your business will be destroyed, you will be harassed by thugs, or killed.

If you go to the press, the corrupt will hide behind tribe and ethnicity to escape punishment.

The government must LEAD. They are leaders, that is their job!

If GEJ is serious about fighting corruption, he needs to do the following:

1. Release his assets publicly, and apologize for saying that he "doesn't give a damn."
2. Send Alams to the UK.
3. Sack Oduah.
4. Give EFCC an independent budget and let Ribadu run the organization.
5. Pass a law that says all government officials must use Nigerian hospitals for all treatment.
6. Pass the PIB bill.
7. Create a special court for cases of corruption. (The judges must be non-Nigerians to prevent accusations of ethnic bias, and the judges must be paid high salaries so they are not tempted to accept bribes.)

All of the above is within the power of the President. He could accomplish all in just one week!

There are MILLIONS of people that are waiting for someone to take the lead on corruption. When they feel they can report corruption safely, you will see them come out.

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Olugbenger(m): 11:46am On Dec 10, 2013
Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by takedat(m): 11:53am On Dec 10, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Sheathe your sword, sir. The issue being discussed is enough to rile anyone.
Ok sir, I'll do just that. I do not know what led to the animosity, its normal to see long epistles and babel of opinions here(NL) so wetin come be the problem now cheesy?
Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by Garrithe1st: 11:55am On Dec 10, 2013
Kairoseki77: The worst thing you can do is report corruption to the authorities. The authorities will just ask for bribe before beginning an investigation

grin grin

@Topic:
Ngozi is just a fat ugly hypocrite. She should direct her words to her boss who is stinkingly corrupt and dishonest..

Bunch of drunken fools...

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Destroying Our Economy – Okonjo-iweala by collynzo2(m): 11:55am On Dec 10, 2013
shymexx: [s][/s]

Bruv, stop posting epistles everywhere - it's boring. You talk too much!

Always keep it simple and precise! undecided
Coming from Shymmex? The father of epistles on Nairaland?
This world is indeed a strange place.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Nairaland's Problem With The Apc. / Permanent Voter Card (PVC) Collection In Rivers State. Report Status / Buhari's Open Challenge!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.