Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,223 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? (112277 Views)

Does It Really Matter If You Pull A USB Out Before It Safely Ejects? / Hotspot Shield - Will It Really Conceal Your Ip / Starcomms Modem Exchange Program.does It Really Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (86) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Mustay(m): 4:53pm On Jul 28, 2008
I saw this on Starcomms' website after seeing the ad:

Starcomms IZap Broadband Service.

IZAP - MOBILE BROADBAND

The Speed you've been dreaming of.
IZap Broadband Service is based on advanced Third Generation CDMA 1x wireless technology.

That means you have true mobile broadband access to the internet, intranet, and e-mail. Easily download massive work files, movies, music collections, e-mail attachments, etc, at superspeed!

Starcomms IZap Broadband Service is the fastest wide area wireless service commercially available today. It has typical download speeds of 300-600kbps, but is even capable of speeds of up to 2.4Mbps. Downloading complex, large files remotely is now a reality.

Mobile, simple and secure.

You have super fast access to your digital lifestyle, wherever and whenever you need it on the Starcomms IZap Mobile Broadband.

You can connect in a car, at work, at the beach, anywhere within the Starcomms IZap Mobile Broadband coverage area and since it uses Superior CDMA 1x technology, data protection is built-in.

That is not all, with its dual function; you can switch over to CDMA 1x data access, whenever you are out of the IZap coverage area.

Starcomms IZap Mobile Broadband keeps you always in touch anytime, anywhere.

Does anyone in the house used the Starcomms' Izap product?

Is 't super fast as Starcomms claims?

I really do not see any difference from their previous products except that this one costs about N16000 for the 24-hours service. undecided
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by samir101ng(m): 5:16am On Aug 20, 2008
Yeah, am also interested in hearing from other izap subsribers the quality of the service.

1 Like

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by noob: 10:24am On Aug 21, 2008
IZAP! hmm I've not been impressed since i started using izap. STARCOMS needs to lets us know how wide the coverage of their IZAP broadband is. I'm in abuja (wuye) and I in my location I only get 1x yet I paid for the so called high speed,
Guys i think they should do their homework
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by samir101ng(m): 3:32pm On Aug 21, 2008
noob:

IZAP! hmm I've not been impressed since i started using izap. STARCOMS needs to lets us know how wide the coverage of their IZAP broadband is. I'm in abuja (wuye) and I in my location I only get 1x yet I paid for the so called high speed,
Guys i think they should do their homework

Did you check at the starcomms office whether they had EVDO coverage in your area before buying it ? Or do you know somebody in your area who has been successfully using the product ? What data plan are you on and how much did you pay for it ?
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by noob: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2008
Well, i did not ask them if they have EV-DO coverage in my area. They should've advised otherwise anyway. I was in there office earlier today and was told that they had problems with some of their cards and they asked me to bring the lap top over. I would straighten things out with them to know for sure if the problem is coverage in my area or not. I tried my laptop in at least 2 locations in Abuja (Wuse zone 6 & Wuye).
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by emmydee(m): 6:42pm On Aug 21, 2008
well, i dont make use of any of starcomm's products
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Ivvie: 8:50pm On Aug 21, 2008
`
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 21, 2008
Starcomms Izap/EVDO? It's definitely unreliable!

You go to their office with the hope of getting the 'saviour speed' internet and all you get is bullshit! Most areas in lagos don't have EVDO coverage and they advertise everywhere like its all around Lagos.

Even in their offices at Ikotun/Iyana Isolo, you can't get EVDO coverage. They charge for EVDO service and you actually get to surf on 1x platform most of the time! Only places like Ebute Metta, Ikeja, Surulere, Lagos Island are enoying the benefits as I have experienced EVDO service in those mentioned areas. They should Indicate their coverage areas in the advertisment and the NCC should see to that, instead of someone paying for a service not gotten!
Agege, Ikotun, Egbeda, Iyana Iba, Mile 2, Badagry, Igando, Isolo, Epe, don't even think about EVDO service, you'll be lucky to get 1x sef! grin

I am currently using them, but what can I do since Multilinks is out of stock and Visafone is a more desperate blood sucker!

EVDO coverage area is an Issue that's supposed to be addressed by Starcomms, if you're lucky to be in the EVDO coverage area, notin do u! tongue
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by samir101ng(m): 10:32pm On Aug 21, 2008
like i said earlier, make sure that your area has EVDO coverage or somebody you know has been using the service successfully before you buy.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by kcatetra(m): 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2008
We should try to be un-technical as much as possible so that people can understand. Newayz I use the Izap package. Its not what they say it is, in fact, ull be lucky to hit 50kbs at peak times. I'm a downloaded so i kind of stay up late and stuff. I have hit 200kbs at night [2am ish] and i stay at Lekki. Ive used it in Abuja too Apo and Wuse to be exact, seemed faster than in Lagos. I'm guessing less congestion and this was last year, don't think it would retain that speed now. In areas like VI and Ikoyi, IZap is at its best. You can get 100kbs at 4pm. It truely depends on your area. If u are looking for a broadband plan [if u can call it broadband because abroad home broadband is what some companies call VSAT here] i recommend u do your homework on whether u have coverage in your usage area. Trust a marketer to say there is coverage everywhere, so what ill advice is to try and get a friends for just a day and see the performance for yourself in your crib or workplace or wherever and consider if its worth it or not.

As for me, on a good day i can download 600MB in 2hrs. You can use that as a yard stick. Note this was at night sha. Theres room 4 improvement but how long is it going to take. your money, your decision.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 11:42pm On Aug 21, 2008
There's incredibly crasy Speed @ Mushin . .  nd who says areas like Ikeja is enjoying EvDO / Izap?

For like 3 - 4mnths back now, We get 1x speed @ Ikeja end {ask anyone around the Toyin/Allen/Opebi area}

I have made serious complain about it down @ their office in Totin street, Ikeja . .But i latter made my confirmation that they so called engineers are nothing But Quacks. that resumes office @ 8.00am every morning only to wait to provide service to customers that they think are dullards. .

I was @ their office one-time, to lay my complain again {oh! well, i knw i won't get a beta result} but yes again, none of them understand what exactly i was getting @ after Blowing them serious Grammar {they even had this female engineer there that just stares @ a Laptop like a Cleaner nd after battling with the PC unsuccessfully, hands you over to another guy near so he can continue the whole Ordeal / Dilemma . . but what does he say.

>>K, You can go home now try it in the evening{because, by then they are closed  angry grin} -> I av sent another request for your account to be checked {Tapping the keyboard like dude is dumb!?} lol, I knw its the same SuperStory!

Kasa Final, >> ITS TOTALLY USELESS GOING TO THERE OFFICE TO PICK TICKETS AND WAIT IN LINE/QUEUE for 4-5hrs + only to be dissapointed. .

Do u knw some people spend the whole working Hours waiting and sitting?

One thing them freaks {Starcomms} knows how to do best is RECEIVING PAYMENTS . {am sure they will b Glad to receive payment even for a non-existing account, -LMAO!  cheesy}

Guys, I will be back to post u shot of the amount of data I downloaded in 9hrs+ straight . . plus the highest speed i av got on Starcomms EvDO since inception.

N.B: Starcomms 3G EvDO broadband Internet service = Starcomms Izap Internet* {Please, get it Right its Just Re-branding} wink

Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 12:04am On Aug 22, 2008
[center]My 9hrs+ straight download last weekend @ Mushin.

>The highest download rate i ever received on the EvDO

so, guys what r we talking? cool [/center]
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Jascobee: 12:07am On Aug 22, 2008
FOLKS,IF U BELIEVE  STARCOMMS ABOUT THEIR IZAP OR EVDO,THEN U WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING,
THEIR IZAP AND THE EVDO IS RIDICULOUSLY SLOW, DONT MIND THEIR MAKING NOISE UP AND DOWN THAT THEY ARE THE FIRST LISTED COMPANY ON THE NSE AND BLABLABLA, THEY ARE SIMPLY SHIT,
I USE THEIR EVDO AND THE IZAP,I CANT FIND WHICH ONE IS SLOWER, IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, NITEL "INTERNET" IS FASTER,
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 12:14am On Aug 22, 2008
Dude, get it out of your head stop shouting! grin

Post us a Screen-shot of your worst download speed/rate .

I could post some worst ones i got too . . undecided

{I av used screen-shots to beat em' hands down @ Starcomms Office} cheesy wink cool
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by kaceei: 6:44am On Aug 22, 2008
izap is just the new name for evil doer (EVDO) grin. Starcomms is good at advertising incredible speeds that they cannot provide. they should go abroad and have a feel of what broadband stands for and quit confusing pple. currently what they offer is trash compared to what they boost of, dont blame them though naija too hard to do biz, their current financial result was poor, a loss of more than 1billion cry
my question is, which ISP better pass?
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by Jascobee: 8:35am On Aug 22, 2008
@karceei
I think IPNX is the best.we use it in our office and it's really fantastic.it's the only ISP next to the one in developed world[like BT and SKYE}
I even watch movies online with the internet, it shows how fast it is, with starcomms,sometimes b4 u open yahoo,it takes like 1-2 hours,
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2008
Jascobee:

. . . with starcomms,sometimes before u open yahoo,it takes like 1-2 hours,

Abah! LIE >It's not dat worst!! angry
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by noob: 10:07am On Aug 22, 2008
STARCOMS is guilty as hell. I think we should start a bit negative campaigning against them maybe if they get feed back like this they will be forced to change.

When they said broadband i expected to be AOL and to do all the things my friends over there do. My friend in the states boasts of 3mbps on his mobile and about 8mbps on his laptop.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by desgiezd(m): 10:47am On Aug 22, 2008
This super speed stuff is all fallacy. Right now I am sending this contribution using Starcomms EVDO and I am doing so at Victoria Island, Lagos. The EVDO used to be a little fast before now but just about the time it started becoming slow they started advertising the I-zap thing. We visited their office to enquire about the new product only to discover that it is the same EVDO they now call I-zap. If you log in early in the morning, say between 7 and 9am, the speed is reasonable but anytime after that it is nothing to write home about.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by tunscolo(m): 1:08pm On Aug 22, 2008
Funny!
Most people don't even know how to check their browsing speeds (upload and download rates). The bottle neck is the main issue for you to browse well. If you have the optimal speed, what is causing your browsing to be slow.

U can even be paying for a broadband and u still dont browse fast.

Is starcomms really giving you the speed you paid for? Well, I don't think so.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by graceade(f): 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2008
the izap network is real i use starcomm device here in kaduna and am enjoying d network compare to Retel, mutlink and visaphone they are not reliable their network is off and on but for starcomms is d best faster to connect and also fast in downloading. "starcomms we speak yur language"
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by noob: 4:43pm On Aug 22, 2008
Don't get it wrong. It should'nt be a case of "the one eyed man is king in the kingdom of the blind". Yes STARCOMS might be better than visafone, multilinks and reltel but question is are we get what is being advertised? [size=8pt][/size]
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by FILEBE(m): 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2008
;d
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by samir101ng(m): 6:22pm On Aug 22, 2008
hayprof:

Dude, get it out of your head stop shouting! grin

Post us a Screen-shot of your worst download speed/rate .

I could post some worst ones i got too . . undecided

{I av used screen-shots to beat em' hands down @ Starcomms Office} cheesy wink cool

Thats a very good idea, hayprof. Its by using evidence like this that you can even sue them. I think all starcomms izap subscribers should be using screenshots or a bandwidht manager to get their average browsing speeds. They should aslo make a comparison between their fastest and slowest speeds.

tunscolo:

Funny!
Most people don't even know how to check their browsing speeds (upload and download rates). The bottle neck is the main issue for you to browse well. If you have the optimal speed, what is causing your browsing to be slow.

You can even be paying for a broadband and u still don't browse fast.

Is starcomms really giving you the speed you paid for? Well, I don't think so.

I think this is a problem of network congestion. Thats why people like browsing at night because of the low congestion. From morning till evening, the network is full and all the bandwidht is being used.

Jascobee:

@karceei
I think IPNX is the best.we use it in our office and it's really fantastic.it's the only ISP next to the one in developed world[like BT and SKYE}
I even watch movies online with the internet, it shows how fast it is, with starcomms,sometimes before u open yahoo,it takes like 1-2 hours,

Sorry, bro. But IPNX does not have the network coverage or customer capacity that starcomms have. If IPNX can come to places like gombe, well then i might think about it.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by kollyp2000(m): 6:38pm On Aug 22, 2008
I got a USB Izap for my boss couple of weeks back and when I installed it, it worked wel but didnt serve its purpose cos I asked the customer care if it will work at Redeemed Camp, He said yes , but it will be slower because it will change to 1x (so he said), unfortunately, it didnt work at all.
It is a pity forgot the name of the guy or else, I would have sued him for misinformation
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by flyKUDE(m): 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2008
i was told by a friend that stays on victoria island, that the EvDO there is superb,and constant as well, any truth about this, can i go ahead and buy since i also tay on VI?, need urgent advice on this.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by hayprof(m): 7:30pm On Aug 22, 2008
People should learn to study their tech Gadgets before complaining to the Manufacturer. .

I am in Mushin nw* >>And Again the EvDO is on Full Bars*

grin

I am going to download all nite grin grin cheesy

N.B: I am also trying to use another Download Manager apart frm the one i av been using, lets see if Speeds will Increase! lipsrsealed
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by olukunle: 12:04am On Aug 23, 2008
As it has been rightly said, the IZAP is just a re branding of the initial EVDO that people have been buying. It is the same Sierra aircard that is being used. Starcomms is just playing on our intelligence. The stuff is ok in the mornings, mainly from like 7 am till like 11am. But afterwards, it gets crazy. I keeps timing out anyhow. And in the evenings, it is horrible. It is almost impossible to watch items on sites like youtube. I live in Surulere and have the EVDO sign and all the full bars, but yet it isnt as advertised.
I equally have a prob with starcomms efficiency. Whenever you renew your subscription, atimes it takes up to 48 hours before you are connected. And if you call their customer care officers, all you get is grammar and you being asked for some totally irrelevant numbers on your card.

Rating: 3 out of 10
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by fotodaddy: 7:45am On Aug 23, 2008
Who is Starcomms For 16k per month, its ridiculous.

I got the MTN 3G!! UNBELEIVEABLE!!!!! shocked

I get speeds that peak at 1167kbps (thats been today's peak). I watch movies on the internet without buffering. Now thats what I call speed. There have been about 2 or 3 days when it wasnt so great but for the 3 weeks I've had it, its been mindblowing. Calls on skype are like using a normal phone. All all that for a month access of 10K!!! grin
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by DualCore1: 9:21am On Aug 23, 2008
Hey guyz our friend fotodaddy has got d mtn thing nd he says its sooo cool. Someone should plz tell fotodaddy d bad news abt his mtn thingy.
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by fotodaddy: 10:51am On Aug 23, 2008
Dual Core:

Hey guys our friend fotodaddy has got d mtn thing nd he says its sooo cool. Someone should plz tell fotodaddy d bad news about his mtn thingy.

OK so there is a 3GB limit!! So what!!! Can you tell me of one person who has been 'suspended' on account of using up his quota?? wink

Cos so far I have spent 10K for 1 month and I am having unheard of speed!!! cool
Re: Starcomms Izap - Is It Really Fast As Starcomms Claim? by DualCore1: 12:04pm On Aug 23, 2008
fotodaddy:

OK so there is a 3GB limit!! So what!!! Can you tell me of one person who has been 'suspended' on account of using up his quota?? wink

Cos so far I have spent 10K for 1 month and I am having unheard of speed!!! cool

good thing u know the bad news, so mind the amount of characters u post grin
cUz your every KB counts tongue tongue
hehe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (86) (Reply)

Strictly Internet Speed Screen Shots / How To Change IP To Any Country IP Without Using Software / modify12Am 16/07/10 free Us Proxy And Other,first Come First Serve.go Get Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.