Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,532 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria (60949 Views)

10 Cheapest Private And Public Universities In Nigeria / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Chomzy19(f): 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2013
slimmy05: Arrogancy
Is that supposed to be an English Word?

One of the Ills of cheap Education

3 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Anasko(m): 8:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
bayero university kano . tuition fee is free. but reg. for freshers is 26k returners is 23k. hostel fee 7090. 4 bed space in a room
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Darey4u2010(m): 8:24pm On Dec 14, 2013
vanguard1: Cheap tuition means cheap(substandard) Education, we ought to have past that level now. it is a honest fact that Education aint for the poor.if you can't afford it, go and learn a skill.
Abah! Gifted and talented children may be wasted if your sentiment is considered. Remember that someone had no shoe when he was in school but now he's a pre**d*nt

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by AmbFitsaint(m): 8:24pm On Dec 14, 2013
coogar:

i am sure the school must have produced enough professors & senators. if not, something is wrong with the parents sending their kids there.

Oduduwa university is a private one. 500k is still justifiable
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by cahnellven: 8:24pm On Dec 14, 2013
uniben fresher skul fee shud be 49k acceptance fee 50k,coll of med acceptance fee(60k),14k for retuning students(sciences/med sciences/law/pharm/eng/agric),edu/social sciences should be abt 1k lower . Great unibest
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Donjcco(m): 8:25pm On Dec 14, 2013
Saraben: BUK is around 22 thousand den engineering student 25k,medicine 27k ...we pay d same fee irrespective of your level and mind u my school is a federal uni. acceptance fee is just 3,000 for freashers
bro. Abeg what's the full name of ur school?
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Datruggedman: 8:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
Dada-Stephen:

Thank you Lecturer, i am not looking for admission, i only want Nigerians to see how extremely and unecessarily expensive public education is.
I want to fight for the possibility of a free education society. We can achieve it!
The school fees are outrageous! What can the ordinary citizen get as a benefit from the government? They are depriving more people of the opportunity to be liberated.
fighter,fighting for the possibility of free education in nigeria
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Coolyabs(m): 8:28pm On Dec 14, 2013
Atbu bauchi, for returning students 14500 that is plus 3500 for internet bla bla bla. No acceptance fees
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Licensed2Kill(m): 8:29pm On Dec 14, 2013
rudedough:

[b]I think you're letting your emotions cloud your judgement.

I don't think what you earn in Nigeria should be compared to what you earn abroad because the cost of living isn't the same. Let's take for example.

A star and flat screw-driver here cost N200, in Nigeria its N50 - Increase by 300%

A Bunch of banana that would cost N100 in Nigeria cost about N600 here - An increase of 500%

Titus Fish that i usually buy in Lagos for N80-N100 sells for N550 here - Increase of over 400%.

I could get a room self contain on the mainland in Lagos for about 200k a year meanwhile 200k can only rent me a studio apartment for only 3 months. And I have not compared Utility.

Bottom line is the cost of living abroad is almost proportional to the cost of living in Nigeria. If you earn N1,000 abroad and i earn N200 in Nigeria, we will be affording the same livelihood.

I think Nigerians should be recommending an increase in our University tuition fee and the Govt help in accessing educational loans, that way, everyone benefits and everyone is happy.
[/b]
buh this exorbitant prices you mentioned are well complemented by their wage\salary structures.

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Malawian(m): 8:30pm On Dec 14, 2013
onose1: AAU:40,000-50,000 depending on d course u r studying(excluding #40,000 for acceptance fee)

ekposki fee don chop up o. the last money i paid was 25k for engineering. that was in 2006. how much come be self contain for town nown grin grin grin

una don hear-am.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by victorazy(m): 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
premiere: tuition in finland is absolutely free. Product of dat stuff, mehn.
Which of the Finland universities bro
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Loviho: 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
Ebsu indig 88000 and non- indig 128000 acceptance fee 10000 , law student 150000
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by nerodenero: 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
lafex: ABU Average of N19000 from excluding acceptance fee for freshers and N7090 accommodation fee
That is nice.I paid N18,750 when I was there and we never paid acceptance fee.Whats the meaning of acceptance?These Universities just look for every means to suck students dry.Acceptance fee ko,rejection fee ni
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by careless(m): 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa:
State Univs. are now serious biz.
In 2006, TASUED acceptance fee was N10,000. The tution was N26,000plus for indigenes & maybe N29,000plus for non indigenes.
Even as at 2010, it was N31,000plus for indigenes & N36,000plus for non indigenes.
Now, it's almost N80,000
for indigenes & N94,000 for non indigenes. This world don spoil finish!
Also a student of tasued,as at 2010de student I paid 40000 for acceptance fee,102000 for school fee.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by dabrake(m): 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2013
Our tuition fee dey increase every session though it reduces as one progresses down the ladder.. I paid N22k this present session. UNIUYO, 500L while 100L students pay as much as N70k a session.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by kenedy175(m): 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2013
UNIMAID shld be the cheapest from what I'm seeing.
non science - roughly 15, 000
sciences - 20, 000
medicine - 25, 000.
acceptance fee is abt 2, 500.
hostel - 6, 500
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by calddon(m): 8:50pm On Dec 14, 2013
Chomzy19: when I said looking for admission I wasn't referring to u, I was refering to any so-called person your post is going to help cos I thought it was going in that direction, now I see the direction u are going, I'll let u know that Education In Nigeria is Cheap, wch country exactly are you comparing it to to call it Expensive? is it Ghana, or Malaysia or Education-giant countries like US, Canada, d Uk, Australia, Germany even France where the Government subsidizes Education, D public universities are still 10 times higher than Nigerian public Universities, Education Is Never Cheap, for now it is still VERY CHEAP in Nigeria becus most Nigerian universities are still substandard, D government cannot do Everything for us, Be4 our Universities get to the level we are clamouring for then u'll see d meaning of Education being Expensive, Half of d federal universities don't Even take up to 50k as their tuition fees, n most states is between 100-200k while d schools u are aiming to be like people spend up to 500-1mil in a years tuition fee. Nigerians want it all, CHEAP SOUND EDUCATION is an OXYMORON
u may have lots of like for this but i refuse to agree with you because with the exception of our Mensa friends in Ghana, the rest countries have their living standard 8times better than that of Nigeria so u shouldn't draw your comparison with them.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by lafex: 8:50pm On Dec 14, 2013
nerodenero: That is nice.I paid N18,750 when I was there and we never paid acceptance fee.Whats the meaning of acceptance?These Universities just look for every means to suck students dry.Acceptance fee ko,rejection fee ni
bro am not sure if they are paying acceptance fee, What I only know is that freshers are paying more than others. I paid N18750 also as an ENGINE STUDENT when I was and I finished in 2011.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by bigjoule(m): 8:51pm On Dec 14, 2013
Federal University Oye-Ekiti 100L: Science and Social Science (#89,500 + #30,000 acceptance fee)
Engineering and Agriculture(#102,000 + #30,000 acceptance)
200L-300L(Science and Social Science #59,500, Engr and Agric #66,500)
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by unitedread1(m): 8:51pm On Dec 14, 2013
Dada-Stephen:

Yes, i graduated from there and it was from my set the fees skyrocketed.

Abeg!...stop embarassing Tasudites jare...haba, wetin be skyrocketed
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 14, 2013
olas24u:
The population is huge and the number of people out of school is very high,you should use the population in a developing country to compare Nigeria.China,India ,Brazil,Russia,Indonesia,Bangladesh,turkey,Pakistan.Compare the educated work force in those so cities relative to their economic development and human capital.Nigeria is a developing country with No electricity ,water,housing for the population,this are just basics.Our roads are constructed by foreigners compare with those countries,highly skilled areas are in foreign hands in Nigeria ,and you think school fees is the problem.

[b]I don't think tuition fee is a problem here, i think Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria. Nigerians have the mentality that everything must be given to the citizens free of charge. None of those countries you mentioned charges a tuition fee less than N1,000,000 per annum except Nigeria.

If a Taxi driver drives you to work everyday for free, how can he repair his car? How can he refuel it? In the long run, his Taxi will be dilapidated and impoverished. That is an example of the situation of Nigeria Universities and the reason why we cannot maintain the University cos it's almost free and for that same reason, we cannot produce quality engineers and good doctors because of the lack of practicals and research.

A University is not what it is in Nigeria where people are spoon-fed with plagiarized lecture notes. A University is a research institute. A place where Mr. A says this color is red and Mr. B says no it is Pink and they go into the Laboratory to carry out researches to proof that the color is indeed Red or Pink. A university is not a place where they read big books as it is in Nigeria University.

Look at the problem without bias or emotional attachment. Is Nigeria Universities carrying out researches as it should be? I guess not. Why? Lack of finance.

How can you run a University with a tuition fee of =N= 25,000 Naira per annum, that is USD $155 / £95 a year? Seriously!!

Out of £95, the University is expected to pay all academic staff salary (Professors, Asst. Professors, Counselor, VC, Research Supervisors etc), non-academic staff salary (Cleaners, security, gate-men, drivers etc.), cover electricity and all other utility bills of the University, sponsor minor student laboratory research, and major MSc and PhD researches. And all other sector that requires financial support.

Common my sister sad, let's tell ourselves the truth. Govt. cannot afford to take care of the University, it's time for Nigerians to accept their fate OR accept an increase in University tuition fee and then demand an access to educational loans from the Govt.

Govt needs to take their hands off school business else it will continue to decline at this rate. Even if the Govt give ASUU $200 trillion today, in 10 years or less the money will be exhausted and ASUU will be back on the Govt's neck cos truly the University cannot sustain its fiscal budget on a tuition fee of £95 per student. Haba!! sad sad
[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by palugycolina(m): 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
evritin includin acceptance in uniport is around 110-140k plus accommodation
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Olril18(m): 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
Bank Manager:
Bounce...!!!
Who told you we wanna school in Ghana?We are proud of our schools here.The last strike by ASUU,which is set to end days from now,will be the last time Nigerian students will ever have their academic calender disrupted..
BTW,which school is Ghana is better than schools like UNIBEN,UI,A.B.U,UNILAG,OAU,etc.?
Park well guy..!
abi o..apart from university of ghana,there is no other uni over there that can compete with nigeria,despite d the so call rot

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
Licensed-2-Kill:

buh this exorbitant prices you mentioned are well complimented by their wage\salary structures.

I thought you were talking about minimum wage. I was comparing Minimum wage of both countries. And if you compare Maximum wages too, i can assure you that they'll still live the same livelihood.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by olagamalin(m): 8:56pm On Dec 14, 2013
greenek001:

if u cant answer his question, jus ignore it, ur intro was very rude and unnecessary...

unilag= 53500 for nonscience courses and 55000 for sciences, acptance fee inclusive
Wrong , I'm a law student @ Unilag and my basic tuition fee is 9500
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by modupeaderonke(f): 8:57pm On Dec 14, 2013
Soyedele1: Lautech

Acceptance fee -- N20000
Indegene --- N65,000
Non indegene -- N72,500 or so (not sure)

I'm paying N40,000. My set is the last set that paid N40000

sure,u guess ryt,kus am payin 72,500
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 14, 2013
rudedough:

[b]I don't think tuition fee is a problem here, i think Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria. Nigerians have the mentality that everything must be given to the citizens free of charge. None of those countries you mentioned charges a tuition fee less than N1,000,000 per annum except Nigeria.

If a Taxi driver drives you to work everyday for free, how can he repair his car? How can he refuel it? In the long run, his Taxi will be dilapidated and impoverished. This is an example of the situation of Nigeria Universities and the reason why we cannot maintain the University cos it's almost free and for that same reason, we cannot produce quality engineers and good doctors because of the lack of practicals and research.

A University is not what it is in Nigeria where people are spoon-fed with plagiarized lecture notes. A University is a research institute. A place where Mr. A says this color is red and Mr. B says no it is Pink and they go into the Laboratory to carry out researches to proof that the color is indeed Red or Pink. A university is not a place where they read big books as it is in Nigeria University.

Look at the problem without bias or emotional attachment. Is Nigeria Universities carrying out researches as it should be? I guess not. Why? Lack of finance.

How can you run a University with a tuition fee of =N= 25,000 Naira per annum, that is USD $155 / £95 a year? Seriously!!

Out of £95, the University is expected to pay all academic staff salary (Professors, Asst. Professors, Counselor, VC, Research Supervisors etc), non-academic staff salary (Cleaners, security, gate-men, drivers etc.), cover electricity and all other utility bills of the University, sponsor minor student laboratory research, and major MSc and PhD researches. And all other sector that requires financial support.

Common my sister sad, let's tell ourselves the truth. Govt. cannot afford to take care of the University, it's time for Nigerians to accept their fate OR accept an increase in University tuition fee and then demand an access to educational loans from the Govt.

Govt needs to take their hands off school business else it will continue to decline at this rate. Even if the Govt give ASUU $200 trillion today, in 10 years or less the money will be exhausted and ASUU will be back on the Govt's neck cos truly the University cannot sustain its fiscal budget on a tuition fee of £95 per student. Haba!! sad sad
[/b]

Thank you, I am with you Bro.
You have not even included the culture of requiring a BSc to do a job that only requires a two year degree.
If you train every single person for white collar jobs, who then will do the technical blue collar jobs.
Universities classrooms have no capacity. In my BSC, we had almost 200 students being taught by one lecturer in one class. While the lecture is talking some are busy jumping in and out the windows since they cannot get the necessary attention.
Let's keep deceiving ourselves!

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Amaizu(m): 9:01pm On Dec 14, 2013
Dada-Stephen:

Nice contribution, but i'm not interested in or comparing my country with those wicked western countries who have always been the primary source of global unrest nor Ghana which isn't as rich as us.
I am working in lieu of what's stated in the CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, under the FUNDAMENTAL OBJECTIVES and precisely, the EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES which states that EDUCATION MUST BE FREE AND COMPULSORY at all levels, from basic primary, to University, to Adult literacy.
Mind you, i will like to disagree with you that the government cannot do everything because the Nigerian government hasn't done anything remarkable to its citizens.
The Fundamental Objectives are not enforceable.They are simply directive principles.The makers of our constitution took care to shield their thieving colleagues.
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by oginga: 9:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
@ Op , Whoever told you that 'education or tuition' fee in Germany is free (is) the biggest lier of our time. Not for its citizens nor for international students.
I've got both German and Nigerian citizenships respectively.... I know how things work in both countries as i come home at least four times in a year, every student here in Germany coughs out 3000€uros per annum. Post graduate student pay less, about 1800€uro depending on the course, school and duration.
lastmessenger:
Bros am aware that tuition fee in countries like finland,iceland,germany and austrelia is free for their citizens.at a time they extended it to international students.i dont know how they managed to do that but i believe Nigeria can do the same
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Olril18(m): 9:03pm On Dec 14, 2013
rudedough:

If a Taxi driver drives you to work everyday for free, how can he repair his car? How can he refuel it? In the long run, his Taxi will be dilapidated and impoverished. This is an example of the situation of Nigeria Universities and the reason why we cannot maintain the University cos it's almost free and for that same reason, we cannot produce quality engineers and good doctors because of the lack of practicals and research.

[/b]
and so what?? d fact that education is run like dat in the west does not mean it should be run like that here...it does not not neccesarily mean wat is good and working for them will work for us,or should work for us...
i doubt u will talk like dis if ur mum only income is from selling pepper
Re: Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria by Olril18(m): 9:05pm On Dec 14, 2013
rudedough:

[/b]
and so what?? d fact that education is run like dat in the west does not mean it should be run like that here...it does not not neccesarily mean wat is good and working for them will work for us,or should work for us...
i doubt u will talk like dis if ur mum only income is from selling pepper

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Drama You Will See As Schools Will Resume On Monday (photos) / University Of Calabar Suspends 4 Students Over “Water Ritual” / Ejikeme Mmesoma: Can JAMB Type May This Way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.