Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,199 members, 7,953,739 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:07 AM

Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad (17900 Views)

Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / Easiest Way To Travel Abroad / Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by adconline(m): 6:39pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall: [b]Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

education etc... is much better abroad.

Also, there are other factors you have to add to the equation: security, emergency service, stability, etc...

For example, lets say that your friends car was worth $8,000, his house was worth $80,000, and his boutique was

worth $10,000. Now lets assume your friend's boutique was bringing in about $16,000 a year, and he spent about

$15,000 to come to the United States. So your friend had a minimum of $98,000 minus the $15,000 he spent on

coming to the United States, so the moment your friend lands in the U.S he has $83,000 to invest in his future.

Because your friend was making $16,000 a year in Nigeria from his boutique, every year he Spense in the U.S,

he would have to make at least that much to at least justify why he left Nigeria. But since he had $83,000 cash

on hand, you will have to divide the $83,000 by $16,000 he was making yearly in Nigeria so this gives him a 5

year head start. Every dollar your friend makes in those five year is a surplus. If anytime within those five

years your friend gets a four year degree or some kind of technical training and starts making $44,000 a year,

your friend would be consider a brilliant investor. In fact, he could even go back to Nigeria an use his degree

to work and make more money than he would had made running the boutique. There are more variables to

the equation but this is just a break down i guess. [/b]
Good analysis, but you omitted " time value" of money..ie $98k is not going to make any money until after 5 years and there is no guarantee of a job. Also, a $10k boutique with $16k profit per/yr is 160% ROI. Also, $44k after a college degree means that you are making $44k out of $98k which is about 45% ROI, the a 5-yr spread when u didn't make any money will mean about a mere 9% ROI on $98k. Also, your house as an appreciable asset, could have added another $30k in value.i.e $6k/yr in Naija

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 15, 2013
tope3x: Hello house, I was in a friend's house last night when I met this new dude that came in on friday,he was narrating how Nigeria has been hell to his life..talking shi*ts about the country (No water,No stable electricity)and how it costed him lot of money to travel here,where he said he sold his car, his house and his boutique business that he has been managing for 3 years,but I was shaking my head within me cos I know it's not really easy to get a job here...now over to you nairalanders, Why do most Nigerians sell off their properties just to travel abroad and still work abroad to acquire same properties when they get back to Nigeria
i have two anwers to this: the first one which is a probability is if he's leaving nig from a "hot" spot, then it might be worth selling it all off! I'm talking about sectarian-prone or violent-prone regions which are unstable from time to time (i dont wanna mention examples but i guess you know wor i mean) and my second answer is that everything still balls down to the beginning where majority of humans have been trapped in the game of life and only acquire to dispose, to acquire again. Life could treat some folks like a lab rat running on the wheels in pursuit of the cheese in front of them but they would eventually keep running till they can run no more.
PS i wish your homie the best though because life could really be tough in our nig as we all know.
peace

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1: I have been to the UK twice and I came back in less than a month on both trips, I remember my family were against my return and so was my friends but 2 years on now I have built my house and I have a nice ride.

So for me to think of selling my property and car to travel abroad is unthinkable . Whats so special about jand ? I have friends living overseas for years and they can't compare what they have to mine.

Well I believe anywhere is abroad if u make it so.
bro,
sometimes its not about what physical assets you have but what possibilities you can have in the future especially if you think about the kids future (if you have them)
that doesn't remove every single opportunity of not making great stuff from nig in the future though
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Agbaka1: 6:46pm On Dec 15, 2013
Pipsland78: Those who keep abusing and insulting Nigerians who travel abroad in pursuit of better life should just shut it. I've discovered that most of these critics hold such views only because they do not yet have the opportunity to travel.

It's much better in the developed world cos everything works and order rules. And if you are not the lazy type you will not suffer. In Nigeria, hardwork does not guarantee success like it does in the developed world.
God bless u bro. except God single u out of d crowd in dis country u are on ur own no matter ur skills/degree. talking from experience.
forgive me if i offended u in d other thread (FTA)

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by MrKnowitall: 6:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
adconline:
Good analysis, but you omitted " time value" of money..ie $98k is not going to make any money until after 5 years and there is no guarantee of a job. Also, a $10k boutique with $16k profit per/yr is 160% ROI. Also, $44k after a college degree means that you are making $44k out of $98k which is about 45% ROI, the a 5-yr spread when u didn't make any money will mean about a mere 9% ROI on $98k. Also, your house as an appreciable asset, could have added another $30k in value.i.e $6k/yr in Naija

That is why i said that there are more variables to the equation. I could have broken it down year by year but it

would have been way too much. But ultimately selling his properties and coming to the U.S was the best choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1:

My friend if u think having a house and a good car at a young age is not prosperity please in Adams oshiomoles voice go and dieeee.
but why?
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
justwise:

Why did you call it slavery?
a lot of people still have the mental slavery that Bob Marley talked about in his greatness (no offense intended because i trust the nigerian in him might come back insulting from all angles in bit, and if does, all well and good it doesn't change anything)
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by adconline(m): 6:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

That is why i said that there are more variables to the equation. I could have broken it down year by year but it

would have been way too much. But ultimately selling his properties and coming to the U.S was the best choice.
I would not encourage someone who is well established in Naija like the OP to sell off his assets, come and hustle in Yankee. Uncertainties outweight likely benefits, but I would encourage a starter, someone who has nothing to lose to come and start over.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
omibia: And why should someone who gets the chance not travel when a principal of a secondary school earns as low as N70, 000/month making him earn N840, 000(5, 250USD) in a year while a teacher who just got employed in September in a high school here in the US earns $50, 000 a year?
I believe the quality of life you wanna live depends on you. As for me, I am not regretting coming here.

you are wrong a principal in a public school earns about 5 million naira per annum, while principals of high brow private schools earn more than this.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by 735i(m): 7:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
king1_00:

You have spoken well, but all you have mentioned might be a barrier to migrating, but if you are useful to an organization, no corporation will use the above mentioned as an excuse to maximize shareholders wealth. If you are valuable the rest is history. HR in the US is nothing close to HR in Nigeria. when they see a talent they recognize it, doesn't matter if you are yellow green or orange. Companies can be sued and pay high fine if they do such. And trust me the least thing you want to do as a firm is get on the bad side of the government. i presently intern for the No 1 fortune 500 company and you will be amazed how many africans, Chinese and indians work with me and all earn above 65k. They have all have the qualities you mentioned. I am talking from a professional stand point of view not menial jobs. The one area that i know most companies are deviating from is hiring people that would require sponsorship not basically because of the cost but other resources that are tied up to this process with HR. Please i am referring to professional jobs here not menial hourly jobs. I am not saying this factors do not decrease ones chances, but Just add value and know what you are doing you will definitely get a good job. Although my accent is not that strong, but i was interviewed with other white american student at least 6 that i know of and i got the internship position.

You said i mate; you've got a specific skill set; you're a professional at something.
A lot of people do not understand what it means to be a professional; You were able to convince the company that they would loose more than you would if they didn't employ you.
How many intending immigrants can convince a white man the same way you were able to? (irrespective of the accent)
Yep; Your guess is as good as mine!!
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Ayokunleayoolashakirudeen(m): 7:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
adconline:
I would not encourage someone who is well established in Naija like the OP to sell off his assets, come and hustle in Yankee. Uncertainties outweight likely benefits, but I would encourage a starter, someone who has nothing to lose to come and start over.

true talk baba...highly o
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Dean13(m): 7:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
I will give u feed back please

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by GentleFrank(m): 8:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
Money !
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Allohrandy(m): 8:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
Niseamaka:

Making money is not the only reason why folks elope from Nigeria. Insecurity of lives and properties as well as epileptic nature of social amenities is a contributory factor. A relatively wealthy close friend of mine relocated due to a near death experience in the hands of hoodlums.
so there are no hoodlums and gangs in America and Europe? no country in this world is 100% safe. Humanbeings are generally violent everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by wwwkaycom(m): 9:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
I know a man in Akure who sold his house in 1996 to send his then 23 year old FUTA graduate son to US, I learnt this guy studied and became a medical doctor in the US, in this 18years in the US, this guy has built a better house for his father in Akure, the man, now in his late sixties drives around in beautiful American cars and seems to be living well. Two other sons of this man are now in US courtesy the elder one who went in 1996. Methink its good investment for him since it is yielding good returns.

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 15, 2013
Agbaka1:
God bless u bro. except God single u out of d crowd in dis country u are on ur own no matter ur skills/degree. talking from experience.
forgive me if i offended u in d other thread (FTA)
It's ok bro, we are good.
Cheers!
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by ifebosco: 11:30pm On Dec 15, 2013
ceejayluv: A certain Tony Ezenna sold his Chemist stores in Aba to travel. Years later he's the CEO of Orange drugs Ltd...
No risk, no reward.
he was lucky,i know his case very well
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Ndipe(m): 12:21am On Dec 16, 2013
a school principal earns 5 milion naira a year in Nigeria, are you sure of your figures?
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by otokx(m): 12:37am On Dec 16, 2013
Ndipe: a school principal earns 5 milion naira a year in Nigeria, are you sure of your figures?

very unlikely, maybe 4.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by SimplYeahmee(m): 3:07am On Dec 16, 2013
see as person give assignment wey include 'comprehension, essay and composition' all in one and peeps are submitting ans for grading. Lol
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by bobanvanp: 6:53am On Dec 16, 2013
sell it!
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by MOBBDEEP: 6:55am On Dec 16, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

you are wrong a principal in a public school earns about 5 million naira per annum, while principals of high brow private schools earn more than this.

Please, as much as possible, let us verify our claims before posting them.
Ideas posted on a platforms or fora like this are meant to educate, guide and be a sort of reference.
Why would you then want to misinform people, even if unknowingly ?

No where in this country does a Public-Secondary Schl Principal earns 200K/month legitimately!
Even, the highest ranking principals ( those who were lucky to be promoted to Grade Level 17 which is quite a feat ) get monthly 120-150K.
Any principal making a legitimate annual income of 2M is no rookie & must have put in nothing less than 20 years of quality time and experience!
Where then did we get 5M/annum?

I know some Public-Servants can source some income from Exam things ( called'RUNS') and this can be meaty depending on the grade or size of such school.
But you will quite agree with me that this is VERILY VERY CORRUPT & ILLEGAL.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 7:41am On Dec 16, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

A professor at a federal university hardly earns up to 3m per annum not to mention a secondary school principal. I believe you are just being sarcastic.

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:45am On Dec 16, 2013
Ndipe: a school principal earns 5 milion naira a year in Nigeria, are you sure of your figures?

School principals in Lagos are on a minimum of level 16, at the pay is over N 5million. You can find out from anybody that works with lagos state. The money is not much because you must have taught for about 20 years or more before you can become a public school principal
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:46am On Dec 16, 2013
saxywale:
A professor at a federal university hardly earns up to 3m per annum not to mention a secondary school principal. I believe you are just being sarcastic.

Get your facts right, the total take home pay of a Prof can never be N 3million
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:50am On Dec 16, 2013

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/lagos-ratifies-new-salary-package/

This is the basic pay, mind you a principal in Lagos is a minimum of level 16 officer, some are actually on level 17.

Tutors-general in the various districts of education in Lagos are on the same level with the permanent Secretary. This was introduced by Tinubu in Lagos.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:00am On Dec 16, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/lagos-ratifies-new-salary-package/

This is the basic pay, mind you a principal in Lagos is a minimum of level 16 officer, some are actually on level 17.

Tutors-general in the various districts of education in Lagos are on the same level with the permanent Secretary. This was introduced by Tinubu in Lagos.

The pay of tutors-general is more than twice of that of principals.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Originalsly: 12:19pm On Dec 16, 2013
wwwkaycom:
I know a man in Akure who sold his house in 1996 to send his then 23 year old FUTA graduate son to US, I learnt this guy studied and became a medical doctor in the US, in this 18years in the US, this guy has built a better house for his father in Akure, the man, now in his late sixties drives around in beautiful American cars and seems to be living well. Two other sons of this man are now in US courtesy the elder one who went in 1996. Methink its good investment for him since it is yielding good returns.
Big difference!....the man invested in his son. He did not sell off to go start afresh abroad as is the case before us. I would support anyone to follow his footsteps ....depending on how responsible the children be.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by lancee(m): 2:47pm On Dec 16, 2013
Mr Knowitall: [b]Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

education etc... is much better abroad.

Also, there are other factors you have to add to the equation: security, emergency service, stability, etc...

For example, lets say that your friends car was worth $8,000, his house was worth $80,000, and his boutique was

worth $10,000. Now lets assume your friend's boutique was bringing in about $16,000 a year, and he spent about

$15,000 to come to the United States. So your friend had a minimum of $98,000 minus the $15,000 he spent on

coming to the United States, so the moment your friend lands in the U.S he has $83,000 to invest in his future.

Because your friend was making $16,000 a year in Nigeria from his boutique, every year he Spense in the U.S,

he would have to make at least that much to at least justify why he left Nigeria. But since he had $83,000 cash

on hand, you will have to divide the $83,000 by $16,000 he was making yearly in Nigeria so this gives him a 5

year head start. Every dollar your friend makes in those five year is a surplus. If anytime within those five

years your friend gets a four year degree or some kind of technical training and starts making $44,000 a year,

your friend would be consider a brilliant investor. In fact, he could even go back to Nigeria an use his degree

to work and make more money than he would had made running the boutique. There are more variables to

the equation but this is just a break down i guess. [/b]

MY BROS.. ITS EASIER SAID THAN DONE .. ENU DUN RO EFO, SUGBON AGADA OWO KO SE GE GEDU ..I KNOW OF SOMEONE THAT DID EXACTLY THE SAME AND HE IS REGRETTING IT AT THE MOMENT IN THE U.S ...AT THE MOMENT THE WIFE IA BLAMING THE HUSBAND AND THE HUSBAND BLAMING THE WIFE . [FRUSTRATION ] HOW WOULD YOU SELL YOUR HOUSE TO COME OVER HERE
AM NOT AGST ANYONE TRAVELLING OUT , AND SELLING WHAT YOU HAVE "BUT NOT YOUR HOUSE "
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Segzy23: 6:22am On Dec 17, 2013
Hello everyone, you never heard the full story. It is all based on assumptions. So it is difficult to really say selling the house was a mistake.

1, it depends where the house is located, if he has a house in VGC, maybe not the best to sell. On the other hand, if he has a house in Ogbomosho that is not worth a lot, why should he not sell it?

2, you guys don't know whether he has more than one house. So if he has 3, and he decided to sell one, and this chap heard him saying he sold his house, what is the problem with that?

3, do you know whether he has relatives abroad? he might not want to be a burden on them whilst staying with them, he needs something to cushion himself as he begins to find his way round.

Lastly, do you know if he put the fund into his savings account in Nigeria? If you are leaving a place and do not hope to come back soon, it would make sense to sell and put that money somewhere than to have a house which you have no true control of whilst abroad.

Until you hear from the horse's mouth, you can only make assumptions - which could be right or wrong

Peace!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Segzy23: 6:36am On Dec 17, 2013
king1_00:

Why strive to buy a 2013 car when a 1995 car works perfectly. Wake up to the reality dude. If an oppurtunity is given then it should be taken if the oppurtunity cost is lower.

Why should you not strive to buy a 2013?? Abeg forget 1995 car mehn, if you aim high, you will get you there eventually. If you aim low, then that is what you get. That is why we never invent new things, because we are happy with what worked very well yesterday, not thinking about today, never mind tomorrow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Fly With A Small Dog / Isreal Visa / Gas Tank Explodes At Okpokiri Station Owerri, Kills 5, Injures Others (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.