Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,695 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system (1365 Views)

When A Whiteman Falls In Love With A Blackwoman (PHOTO) / Ex-miss Nigerian UK, Dabota Lawson Falls In Love With 60+ Yrs Old Billionaire / When A Man Falls Out Of Love. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:56am On Dec 18, 2013
I have always been a fan of artificial intteligence. I look forward to a world where computers feel touch and smell like humans. A world where they can interact like a person. Where they have emotions, can care and think like us.

This morning I stumbled on a piece about a movie called "her". That tells the story of a man, that fell in love with an operating system (computer) called samantha.

The trailer so caught my attention I decided to share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6p6MfLBxc

After watching the trailer i did some thinking asking my self.

Can one actually fall in love with an OS. I know most of us would say no.

But the fact is that majority of us have once fallen in love with an Online persona which I would liken to an OS.

Who says that person you are currently trippinng for is not a computer virus or higend Operatng system that's currently gone rougue from an MIT lab.

*just me thinking out loud*

I think what am trying to say is that as human we strive for connection, to feel loved and wanted so at times the real world is harsh and seldomly provides us answers to these needs

Over time we gradully look up to Technology and mainly the intenet is to help meet this need for intimacy, relying on her to provide us with that perfect partner, that perfect conversation, that perfect friendship but at the cost of making us care less about and enventually losing the imperfect physical partner, imperfect real life conversations and imperfect frendships that surrounds us.

Tech has the ability to build a powerful make belive safe and perfect world for us. that with time we forget the beauty of Imperfection that surrounds our daily lifes.

Most of us have already fallen in love with an OS in this case an Online persona. One nearly donated her kidney for one, and the other One shed serious tears on his blog when she died. (http://www.techcabal.com/how-royalamebo-catfished-twitter/)... while some are so blind to this fact.

Back to my question...

Are you currently you in love with a OS in this case online persona aka (user name)

If yes why? what makes people prefer the web as a way to connect and fufil the need for intimacy instead of serching for it via their immediated enviroment?

Don't you think it's dangerous and might have long term real life pshycological consequences ?

###FOOD FOR THOUGHT

#Matthew Briggs.

1 Like

Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by DonaldGenes(m): 11:00am On Dec 18, 2013
Go get her nah
Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:23am On Dec 18, 2013
Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by alosiby92(f): 11:44am On Dec 18, 2013
I think you need to change the title of this thread...its kind of misleading...
Isn't the main question 'are you in love with an online persona?'
Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:53am On Dec 18, 2013
alosiby92: I think you need to change the title of this thread...its kind of misleading...
Isn't the main question 'are you in love with an online persona?'

I presume you were expecting some sort of story account of me falling in love with a girl named smantha.

Thanks title tweaked ... @bolded that's one of the main questions but not the core focus of the thread.
Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 18, 2013
Matthew briggs:

Are you currently you in love with a OS in this case online persona aka (user name)

If yes why? what makes people prefer the web as a way to connect and fufil the need for intimacy instead of serching for it via their immediated enviroment?

Don't you think it's dangerous and might have long term real life pshycological consequences ?

###FOOD FOR THOUGHT

You see, it's true but also a shame, that we're in a 'confused' generation. by confused, i mean a total loss of control, priority and focus.

it's very disturbing that an individual seemingly 'falls' in love with an online personality. it's ok or human to like, definitely, not love!

i guess i understand this well becauses i've kinda being a victim before, but the truth remains that its totally unacceptable.

the consequences are more significant than the psychological only...it can result to unrecoverable damage.

an individual like myself can engage you in an online chat that you may freely assume i'm the 'perfect' man, when it's not so. it has happened before, both with males and female.

whether it's a real person or an OS behind the image, it's totally unacceptable.

sadly, the female human specie have proven to be more vulnerable.

1 Like

Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:23am On Dec 19, 2013
Very well said leatherman. smiley

I think just like you i once fell in love or more like was infatuated and it struck me that Most people are all trying to look perfect online editing off their bad and scary parts to avoid been judged for who they really are, the effect of this that people are drawn to that fake perfection and they end up falling in love with it blindly not knowing what that they are really falling in love with is a mirage, a cooked up image. Isn'nt that sick.

Overtime I've learnt to appreciate impefection and focus more on building and sustaining real life relationships.

I think in this context we should treat tech as tool to sustain physical relationships... instead of using it as a tool to grow andvexperience one.
Re: Man Falls In Love With Samantha an Operating system by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2013
Online love has done more evil than good, especially in recent times, some of which have resulted into recordable deaths which eventually became news.

Not even the western world is spared!

Again, there's this strange wind, maybe i should describe it as an 'end-time' wind grin blowing over youths! the unspeakable keeps happening!

Everybody wants to experience love but no one wants to pay the sacrifice!

I'll better grow with the highs and lows of a real relationship than 'dance' with a robot. grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Valentine Gift For Him Or Her / Those Frequenting Romance Section Are Flirts In Real Life / Sex Is Not A True Test Of Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.