Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya (14684 Views)

Mugabe's Lavish $1m 92nd Birthday Celebration-Photos / 92nd Birthday Cake Robert Mugabe Got From His Staff This Morning (Photos) / Donald Trump Vows– Will Lock Museveni And Mugabe In Prison If I Become President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Wale112(m): 10:15am On Dec 19, 2013
President Robert Mugabe wants Victoria Falls to be renamed 'the smoke that thunders' to get rid of its colonial history. The president of Zimbabwe believes Victoria Falls does not reflect its liberation heritage.

The waterfall, which is along the Zambezi River at the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia. is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Locals already refer to the landmark as Mosi Oa Tunya - which means 'the smoke that thunders'.

The ruling party, Zanu PF, said the government would be instructed to get rid of all colonial names for towns and schools. Ignatious Chombo, local government minister, said: 'Institutions bearing colonial names must be changed and be given indigenous names... school syllabuses in schools must also change.'

It was first discovered by Scottish explorer David Livingstone who named it after Queen Victoria. Jabulani Sibanda, leader of Zimbabwe’s vocal war veterans, supported the move.

He said: 'David Livingstone was not the first person to see the Victoria Falls, they (the falls) must be rebranded Mosi Oa Tunya.

32 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by edoyad(m): 11:21am On Dec 19, 2013
While I am against the oppressive Govt of Mugabe and his eZANU PF puppets, I'm totally for the renaming of those falls.

27 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by 4chi: 12:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
Good. Brilliant! In the new odua republic Victoria island will revert to it's indigenous name. Who the hel.l is Victoria? Nigger area a.k.a Nigeria must go! Mugabe on point.

12 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Les: 12:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
I support this move but wait o, What's wondrous about this fall, the rainbow or the smoke /?? And where's the thunder

4 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by mandarin: 1:30pm On Dec 19, 2013
India renamed Bombay as Mumbai, nothing is wrong in renaming anything on Africa in local names of which any part of Africa can be affected. Take for instance Victoria Island can be Oniru Island or even Iwalewa,Oduduwa etc
How can you say a while man discovered something in ,Africa, its simply saying all those living around there were not humans.

28 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by NnamdiN: 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
Supported. We should do the same. If we successfully eliminate everything that has a colonial history, the low self esteem of most Africans might be a thing of the past. I hate it when I see people staring at white people here as if they are more humans or girls in the club drooling over them and ignoring their country men. (Person go just they press ur booooby anyhow and you allow him coz he's white Wtf) see the way we struggle for their visas sef, I wonder if they are as enthusiastic as we are when they visit Nigeria. I haven't seen anyone boast of being/travelling to Africa but the moment most Africans travel abroad, we no go hear word again. They even come back with one nonsense accent. Kai

I suggest, we stop telling stories of our colonial past, the slave era etc it makes these people appear so superior. let these stories be erased from schools. let the history of Nigeria begin from independence. (in fact after independence, coz you would still have to explain where you got independence from) cool

I dunno why we can't have our own language. Look at all the successful countries in the world(China,Russia,France,UK,US, etc) what do they have in common? A national Language. Maybe if I were taught science in igbo language, I wudnt have run away to arts when I realised I was wasting time as a science student then.
It's so irritating when they say luggard and his wife named Nigeria ewww they might have been xxxxing or high on crack when they named it grin

25 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by fr3do(m): 2:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
Les: I support this move but wait o, What's wondrous about this fall, the rainbow or the smoke /?? And where's the thunder

Metaphor! metaphor!!

I commend mugbabe on this one.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Omen100(m): 2:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
Like this Comment For No Reason wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

8 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by fr3do(m): 2:40pm On Dec 19, 2013
NnamdiN: Supported. We should do the same. If we successfully eliminate everything that has a colonial history, the low self esteem of most Africans might be a thing of the past. I hate it when I see people staring at white people here as if they are more humans or girls in the club drooling over them and ignoring their country men. (Person go just they press ur booooby anyhow and you allow him coz he's white Wtf) see the way we struggle for their visas sef, I wonder if they are as enthusiastic as we are when they visit Nigeria. I haven't seen anyone boast of being/travelling to Africa but the moment most Africans travel abroad, we no go hear word again. They even come back with one nonsense accent. Kai

I suggest, we stop telling stories of our colonial past, the slave era etc it makes these people appear so superior. let these stories be erased from schools. let the history of Nigeria begin from independence. (in fact after independence, coz you would still have to explain where you got independence from) cool

I dunno why we can't have our own language. Look at all the successful countries in the world(China,Russia,France,UK,US, etc) what do they have in common? A national Language. Maybe if I were taught science in igbo language, I wudnt have run away to arts when I realised I was wasting time as a science student then.
It's so irritating when they say luggard and his wife named Nigeria ewww they might have been xxxxing or high on crack when they named it grin

On the contrary
I think kids should be exposed to our rich pre-colonial cultural history
So the sick idea that Africans were brutes pre-colonization (which the white media propagates) would be wiped off.

Portuguese missionaries that visited Bini kingdom in 1473.compared the streets of Benin to those in Portugal.that gives you a hint of our organisation back in time.

6 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Eziachi: 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2013
And he still retained his colonial names of Robert Gabriel? As a wise man, he should have started with his own name in his colonial cleansing campaign. A washed out and outdated dictator, who has ran out of idea.

After the renaming gimmick, he will jump into their brand new mercedes, wear their Amani suit and drink their crystal champagne for dinner. Who is fooling who?

But trust stupid Africans, they will fall for the old tricks of our dictators. Yeah, I remembered Mobutu changing his own name to Seseseko as well to make him ultra African but inflicted an un-mending damage to Africa forever.

16 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Ghost01(m): 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
And Mugabe continues with his Rebranding Zimbabwe agenda. Nice move!
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by NnamdiN: 3:49pm On Dec 19, 2013
fr3do:

On the contrary
I think kids should be exposed to our rich pre-colonial cultural history
So the sick idea that Africans were brutes pre-colonization (which the white media depicts) would be wiped off.

Portuguese missionaries that visited Bini kingdom in 1473.compared the streets of Benin to those in Portugal.that gives you a hint of our organisation back in time.
okay just the good part of history.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Zonacom(m): 4:06pm On Dec 19, 2013
Totally in support of this move.
We cant rid ourselves of every colonial imposition, but we should do the little we can.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Horus(m): 5:00pm On Dec 19, 2013
President Robert Mugabe is right, David Livingstone was not the first person to see the Falls. It was first discovered by Africans

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by KiKatanga: 5:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
Mugabe is a cretin, but this is the right thing to do.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 19, 2013
There are many things to rename in this country... Buh the first thing to rename is NIGERIA...

I reserve the remaining one's till Odua republic become real...

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by drnoel: 5:33pm On Dec 19, 2013
4chi: Good. Brilliant! In the new odua republic Victoria island will revert to it's indigenous name. Who the hel.l is Victoria? Nigger area a.k.a Nigeria must go! Mugabe on point.
I think its irresponsible. No matter what he hates about colonialism, its part of their history. U can´t erase history. That won´t solve their immediate problem

5 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by obyrich(m): 6:21pm On Dec 19, 2013
Good move!
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2013
David Livingstone was not the first person to see the Victoria Falls
He has a Point tho

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 19, 2013
Les: I support this move but wait o, What's wondrous about this fall, the rainbow or the smoke /?? And where's the thunder

Where the hell can I find the hanging garden of Babylon? angry

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Waspy(m): 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2013
Mugabe loves to be controversial..... Probably wants to taunt the Western world. But seriously, how does this make life better for his pple? undecided
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:49pm On Dec 19, 2013
Eziachi: And he still retained his colonial names of Robert Gabriel? As a wise man, he should have started with his own name in his colonial cleansing campaign. A washed out and outdated dictator, who has ran out of idea.

After the renaming gimmick, he will jump into their brand new mercedes, wear their Amani suit and drink their crystal champagne for dinner. Who is fooling who?

But trust stupid Africans, they will fall for the old tricks of our dictators. Yeah, I remembered Mobutu changing his own name to Seseseko as well to make him ultra African but inflicted an un-mending damage to Africa forever.
just shut it!!

Are the europeans not using things of ours?

So, the point is, if they won't name their monuments and historic structures after us, why do same for them?

If they are ur gods, go worship them! ☺KƔ?

10 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Les: 8:58pm On Dec 19, 2013
Austeenx:

Where the hell can I find the hanging garden of Babylon? >sad
no one should ever offer this guy Vaseline at this very moment of quoting my post... lipsrsealed
fr3do:

Metaphor! metaphor!!

I commend mugbabe on this one.
then what made this fall a world wonder
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by zaandrew: 1:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
Do the falls not share joint ownship. This would mean he can not change the name only the name used in zimbawe. Unless zambia joins him of course.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by onihaxy: 4:55pm On Dec 20, 2013
I see
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by amiskurie(m): 4:57pm On Dec 20, 2013
haahaha

one fall down!

NEXT?!!!
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by amiskurie(m): 5:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
: WE THEREFORE REMOVE VICTORIA FALL AS FROM THE LIST OF THE WORLD SPECIAL PLACES SINCE MR MUGABE AS CHANGED THE NAME OUR MAN GAVE IT,WE JUST CAN'T TOLORATE A LOCAL NAME OF SUCH.

WE SHALL KEEP U POSTED ABT FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

[WORLD HERITAGE SITE

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by amiskurie(m): 5:03pm On Dec 20, 2013
amiskurie: : WE THEREFORE REMOVE VICTORIA FALLAS FROM THE LIST OF THE WORLD SPECIAL PLACES SINCE MR MUGABE AS CHANGED THE NAME OUR MAN GAVE IT

WE SHALL KEEP U POSTED ABT FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS.

[WORLD HERITAGE SITE
tongue
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Egbagirl(f): 5:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Eziachi: And he still retained his colonial names of Robert Gabriel? As a wise man, he should have started with his own name in his colonial cleansing campaign. A washed out and outdated dictator, who has ran out of idea.

I hear you and I think you make some valid points. However, if the locals refer to it as Mosi Oa Tunya, I don't see why the name shouldn't be officially changed to that. That's what the people call it,why then call it another name?

I'm sure it has always been referred to as Mosi Oa Tunya way before it was discovered by Livingstone and named in honor of Queen Victoria.

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 20, 2013
Wale112:
It was first discovered by Scottish explorer David Livingstone who named it after Queen Victoria. Jabulani Sibanda, leader of Zimbabwe’s vocal war veterans, supported the move.

How the heck can a place that the locals knew about for eons before David Livingstone was born be first discovered by him?

That was the same way a drunk Christopher Columbus with the aid of Moorish atlas discovered an America that had millions of people living there for thousands of years before Christopher Columbus' ancestors left the caves. undecided

I just love Mugabe - a true African hero.

11 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by adconline(m): 5:09pm On Dec 20, 2013

Can Mugabe build his own plane? Use homemade cologne and lotion? Keep his loot and investments in Zimbawe? Africans are gullible!
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by yuzedo: 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
BOSS MUGABE! cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos / Kenyan Politician Confesses To Spending $500,000 On Witchcraft To Win Elections! / Saudi Throws Kenyan Maid Out Of Top Floor Window

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.