Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,693 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya (14686 Views)

Mugabe's Lavish $1m 92nd Birthday Celebration-Photos / 92nd Birthday Cake Robert Mugabe Got From His Staff This Morning (Photos) / Donald Trump Vows– Will Lock Museveni And Mugabe In Prison If I Become President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:11am On Dec 21, 2013
ceaser:
I think Mugabe should change his own name too. He should stop answering Robert just so to be fair.

Not even his wife, but his mistress. Meaning that name was a product outta wedlock. In order words, it's a bas***d name. grin

A little advice - watch yourself around your boss since her eyes always "light up" anytime you're around her. Innocently, some white females are wont to satisfy their curiousity about a black pDude (the legends of black endowment) grin And don't tell me she's an old woman and therefore harmless. They're as ravenous as they come.

My guy I hear you o grin

Me I nor dey involve myself for any kain yeye thing again o. I don be responsible man now. I will take your advice bro cos these oyibos are cunning and dangerous. I no fit shout cheesy
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 21, 2013
Eziachi: And he still retained his colonial names of Robert Gabriel? As a wise man, he should have started with his own name in his colonial cleansing campaign. A washed out and outdated dictator, who has ran out of idea.

After the renaming gimmick, he will jump into their brand new mercedes, wear their Amani suit and drink their crystal champagne for dinner. Who is fooling who?

But trust stupid Africans, they will fall for the old tricks of our dictators. Yeah, I remembered Mobutu changing his own name to Seseseko as well to make him ultra African but inflicted an un-mending damage to Africa forever.
kindly stop being stupid it was already called mosi oa tunya before it was changed to Victoria Falls, its simply giving it back its original name, whats wrong with that? undecided
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 21, 2013
That new name sound awkward..... I prefer d Victoria falls.....
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by dasparrow: 10:13am On Dec 21, 2013
@Post

I agree with Mugabe. All uncle Mugabe is doing is giving the falls its original name back. So, I support.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 21, 2013
Before it was named Victoria falls, it was intially known as Musi oa Tunya.

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Policewoman(f): 11:20am On Dec 21, 2013
Wale112: President Robert Mugabe wants Victoria Falls to be renamed 'the smoke that thunders' to get rid of its colonial history. The president of Zimbabwe believes Victoria Falls does not reflect its liberation heritage.

The waterfall, which is along the Zambezi River at the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia. is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Locals already refer to the landmark as Mosi Oa Tunya - which means 'the smoke that thunders'.

The ruling party, Zanu PF, said the government would be instructed to get rid of all colonial names for towns and schools. Ignatious Chombo, local government minister, said: 'Institutions bearing colonial names must be changed and be given indigenous names... school syllabuses in schools must also change.'

It was first discovered by Scottish explorer David Livingstone who named it after Queen Victoria. Jabulani Sibanda, leader of Zimbabwe’s vocal war veterans, supported the move.

He said: 'David Livingstone was not the first person to see the Victoria Falls, they (the falls) must be rebranded Mosi Oa Tunya.
Bunch of idiots.! How does this improve their badly battered economy and put food on the tables of millions of impoverished Zimbabweans? Misplaced priorities.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
Policewoman: Bunch of idiots.! How does this improve their badly battered economy and put food on the tables of millions of impoverished Zimbabweans? Misplaced priorities.
It allows them to realign their thoughts, moves and prosperity with their ancestral heritage with self determination of their future and their children
David was not the first person to discover Mosi qua Tunya

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2013
Policewoman: Bunch of idiots.! How does this improve their badly battered economy and put food on the tables of millions of impoverished Zimbabweans? Misplaced priorities.

Don't mind the hypocrite, 2yrs ago he received humanitarian assistance worth more US$163 millon from the same west he hates.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 1:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
seanet01:
It allows them to realign their thoughts, moves and prosperity with their ancestral heritage with self determination of their future and their children
David was not the first person to discover Mosi qua Tunya

Does that make any sense?
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
Mondisweets: Before it was named Victoria falls, it was intially known as Musi oa Tunya.
But the translation kinda beats me....but the reclaiming of the old name is a good move.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by KiKatanga: 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
So don't translate it?

Oxford means "The Shallow Stream across a road, of the Oxen" but you don't translate it either.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: But the translation kinda beats me....but the reclaiming of the old name is a good move.
lol I went there when I was younger...its quite noisey like thunder and u have to wear a raincoat if u want a better and closer view of it...the showers are like smoke...so I guess that's how it came to be the thunder that's smokes smiley
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ki-Katanga:
So don't translate it?

Oxford means "The Shallow Stream across a road, of the Oxen" but you don't translate it either.
I don't know what that name has got anything to do with Zimbabwe, the name is Southern Sotho my language which means it was named by the Sotho's that lives in Zambia.

Musi is smoke right?

Wa- is of

Thunya- the sound that's made by a gun, when its being fired.

So I think it merely means the smoking waterfall because of its nature.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by iykemega(m): 5:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
Les: I support this move but wait o, What's wondrous about this fall, the rainbow or the smoke /?? And where's the thunder
it has the highest collection of waterfalls....its a grt site.....i have seen it...on TV....
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 9:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
justwise:

Does that make any sense?
I don't expect it to make sense to an European programmed robot like you

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by otokx(m): 1:16am On Dec 22, 2013
The man got this one right.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 8:28am On Dec 22, 2013
seanet01:
I don't expect it to make sense to an European programmed robot like you

You talk a lot of nonsense, typical lazy comment from confused souls with no sense of direction.
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 9:33am On Dec 22, 2013
justwise:

You talk a lot of nonsense, typical lazy comment from confused souls with no sense of direction.
Yeah, your own sense of direction is surrendering the resources of a nation to imperialists so that you can be painted white in the western media
Some of you are despicably lame intellectually and mentally fraught with fantasies to reason beyond your malfunctioning sight.
If what Mugabe has done is not pleasing to your brainwashed soul, please do the needful
Jump in Mosi Oa Tunya
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 9:36am On Dec 22, 2013
justwise:

Don't mind the hypocrite, 2yrs ago he received humanitarian assistance worth more US$163 millon from the same west he hates.
The same West that stole billions of dollars worth of Zimbabwean Natural resources before Mugabe took over.
Don't bring such lame mentality into issues like this

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 10:01am On Dec 22, 2013
seanet01:
Yeah, your own sense of direction is surrendering the resources of a nation to imperialists so that you can be painted white in the western media
Some of you are despicably lame intellectually and mentally fraught with fantasies to reason beyond your malfunctioning sight.
If what Mugabe has done is not pleasing to your brainwashed soul, please do the needful
Jump in Mosi Oa Tunya

seanet01:
The same West that stole billions of dollars worth of Zimbabwean Natural resources before Mugabe took over.
Don't bring such lame mentality into issues like this

I thought as the world gets more civilized we will have less of little mined morons like you disgracing themselves, anybody who refuses to swallow your ant-west nonsense is called all sorts of names, only brain dead individuals like you will see Mugabe as a hero.

Since 1980 he dine and wine with the same west, he accepted the white farmers who are also Zimbabweans as well, the economy were one of the best in Africa, they enjoyed heavily subsidized education and health care from the white farmers and the west.

But since the MDC was formed the tyrant felt threatened and unleashed the most horrific spread of violence against anybody who is not Zanu-PF member or dare disagree with him.

Was it not the same Mugabe who actively supported Nigeria suspension from Commonwealth during Abacha regime? Mugabe did worst than Abacha and ruined Zimbabwe.

How can a single human being rule a country since 1980 till today? Fools like you go around talking nonsense about issue you know next to nothing about.

What resources did west stole from Zimbabwe?
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 10:25am On Dec 22, 2013
justwise:

I thought as the world gets more civilized we will have less of little mined morons like you disgracing themselves, anybody who refuses to swallow your ant-west nonsense is called all sorts of names, only brain dead individuals like you will see Mugabe as a hero.

Since 1980 he dine and wine with the same west, he accepted the white farmers who are also Zimbabweans as well, the economy were one of the best in Africa, they enjoyed heavily subsidized education and health care from the white farmers and the west.

But since the MDC was formed the tyrant felt threatened and unleashed the most horrific spread of violence against anybody who is not Zanu-PF member or dare disagree with him.

Was it not the same Mugabe who actively supported Nigeria suspension from Commonwealth during Abacha regime? Mugabe did worst than Abacha and ruined Zimbabwe.

How can a single human being rule a country since 1980 till today? Fools like you go around talking nonsense about issue you know next to nothing about.

What resources did west stole from Zimbabwe?
Mumu, stop chewing wet weed.
Mor0ns like you should tell us why America and your co western nations have refused to stop selling modern weapons to Saudi Arabia and the gulf countries despite the fact that they have been ruled by same tyrants even before Rhodesia was renamed into Zimbabwe.
The queen of England have been the head of State before you were even born,
So what the heck is your own problem with Zimbabwean deciding that Mugabe should continue ruling them?
Entirely none of your own business
Fck off

3 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 10:27am On Dec 22, 2013
Brainwashed monkeys like you should not have been allowed anywhere near the keyboard.
Zimbabweans reserve the right to choose their own leaders not you mumucious element
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 11:04am On Dec 22, 2013
seanet01:
Mumu, stop chewing wet weed.
Mor0ns like you should tell us why America and your co western nations have refused to stop selling modern weapons to Saudi Arabia and the gulf countries despite the fact that they have been ruled by same tyrants even before Rhodesia was renamed into Zimbabwe.
The queen of England have been the head of State before you were even born,
So what the heck is your own problem with Zimbabwean deciding that Mugabe should continue ruling them?
Entirely none of your own business
Fck off

seanet01: Brainwashed monkeys like you should not have been allowed anywhere near the keyboard.
Zimbabweans reserve the right to choose their own leaders not you mumucious element

You are what i called you in my previous post, the part in bold proves me right, i knew you know absolutely nothing about Zimbabwe and can not put together any convincing argument.

So the UK and Zimbabwe are practicing the same system of govt? Complete waste of space you are.

So Saudi and other gulf countries don't have the right to ow modern weapons? What has that got to do with this topic anyway?
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 11:22am On Dec 22, 2013
justwise: [/b]

You are what i called you in my previous post, the part in bold proves me right, i knew you know absolutely nothing about Zimbabwe and can not put together any convincing argument.

So the UK and Zimbabwe are practicing the same system of govt? Complete waste of space you are.

So Saudi and other gulf countries don't have the right to ow modern weapons? What has that got to do with this topic anyway?
mumu, the same west that sees nothing wrong in the same person ruling Saudi Arabia since ages should not see anything wrong in Mugabe ruling since 80.
If you don't get the drift about selling deadly weapons to tyrants like the Saudi wahabis, why are you hallucinating over the reclamation of land from Zimbabwean whites?
did they carry land on their Igbo when they were coming from europe?
Slaveboy

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 11:25am On Dec 22, 2013
Some of you cannot seem to reason beyond your nose.
We all know the reason why there is economic problem is because of the unfair sanctions on Zimbabwe.
Folks like you are the one pulling Africa down with your slave mentality

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 11:27am On Dec 22, 2013
justwise: [/b]

So easy for you to talk about me abusing you?
Right on this thread, somebody called me a fool?
Guess who?`
Hypocrite
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 11:28am On Dec 22, 2013
Zimbabwean constitution allows Mugabe to re-contest isn't it?
So what is ya problem about him still being in power
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 12:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
seanet01: Zimbabwean constitution allows Mugabe to re-contest isn't it?
So what is ya problem about him still being in power

Stop talking about Zimbabwe because you know nothing about that country apart from garbage you read online
Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by seanet01: 1:54pm On Dec 22, 2013
justwise:

Stop talking about Zimbabwe because you know nothing about that country apart from garbage you read online
lol.
Instead of you to defend your rather lame and incoherent conclusions on Zimbabwe, you resorted to blabbing like a confused driver.
Now tell me,
What right do yo have to tell somebody to stop talking about Zimbabwe when you don't even seem to know nada about the country?
Speaking as if he was born and breed in Zimbabwe.
Fact is no matter how hard you agents of neo-colonization try,
Africa will never be colonized again.
Let that sink into your thick skull

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Renames Victoria Falls To Mosi Oa Tunya by justwise(m): 3:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
seanet01:
lol.
Instead of you to defend your rather lame and incoherent conclusions on Zimbabwe, you resorted to blabbing like a confused driver.
Now tell me,
What right do yo have to tell somebody to stop talking about Zimbabwe when you don't even seem to know nada about the country?
Speaking as if he was born and breed in Zimbabwe.
Fact is no matter how hard you agents of neo-colonization try,
Africa will never be colonized again.
Let that sink into your thick skull

You are talking complete nonsense and making a fool of yourself,the west is not our problem, our problem are thieving politicians and tyrants who people like you worships

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The United States Army Looking to recruit Igbos / Kenyan Politician Confesses To Spending $500,000 On Witchcraft To Win Elections! / Saudi Throws Kenyan Maid Out Of Top Floor Window

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.