Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,719 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

How Often Do You Visit Your Village? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Often Do You Visit Your Village? (8631 Views)

When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO] / When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown / Which Village Are You From? Represent Your Village Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by deeptesting(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2013
I can speak my language but i think i am doing very bad with my kids in this respect...My wife and I are not from the same place and the common language is English Language..I only speak my language when i communicate with my Older Brothers..I do take my kids home at least once in a year but i sometimes feel very guilty not passing this heritage to them.I will be following the thread to learn from other peeps here on how to effectively help my children speak my their language.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Snoggy(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2013
Afam4eva: It's really not about going to the village but about knowing how to comunicate in the language and also knowing the culture. As far as i'm concerned, that boy should not qualify for the Shell scholarship. It should be given to people who can speak the language.
Given to people who can speak the language?

Wasn't her explanation reasonable enough?
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Prowizy2(m): 3:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
Me go village? You want make those old men and women wey no get teeth again to reason my matter? undecided

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by PapaBrowne(m): 3:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
Interestingly, I visited my village for the first time in 25 years just 2 days ago. The village was lost in time but in my opinion very beautiful and serene. I actually visited over an Agric research project been worked on.
I came out with the knowledge that there is over 1000 acres of land accessible for my research. And the most interesting part, the road to the village has just been tarred by the Feds.

Below are some pics. There is no reason why we should all be rushing out to the city where there are really no jobs when we have the greatest assets in our villages-land for Agriculture.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by olahero(m): 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
Taywon: see gobe..... hw i go ...go wen d witches and wizard are still alive
see stupid mind, can you recognise them? i mean witchs in your village? better go back home and contribute to development of your village for them to recognise you when “Things went wrong with you”.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by olahero(m): 3:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
begwong: Village? I have been in d village all my life. i am currently browsing under the service providers mast near my mud house.
lolz, good nigga abeq don`t rape guys in your village ooo
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by bestads(m): 3:25pm On Dec 21, 2013
ladionline: Good post. I'm from Ado, in Ado-Odo/Ota LGA, Ogun state. I do frequent this place a lot! My people pride themselves as "...omo Isedale Yoruba" that's like 'history happen here" to me. That something for our archeologist. Ado folks thrives in their rustic agricultural settlement. Where are you from, @poster?

It is not far from where you live in lagos, in fact you can trek from your house in Iyana Ipaja to your village ....OMO ONILE Awori
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by bestads(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2013
valuka: At least 3times a year.
And am based in Lagos.
Okija in Anambra State... That's where am from.

How much is a shrine in okija
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by XploraBen(m): 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
begwong: Village? I have been in d village all my life. i am currently browsing under the service providers mast near my mud house.
Lol.
Lol.
Lol.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by donphilopus: 3:41pm On Dec 21, 2013
I was surprised a day, when I accompanied my friend to the council to do his LG of origin, when a newly admitted girl came for her LG of origin, and was asked for the village she comes from, and was just looking.The girl later went outside, when she couldn't call the name of her village, to call her dad!

When she was asked, she called the name of her village, unknown to her, that there are so many villages almost using the same name (Uneme). She said she was from Uneme, they asked her the part of Uneme she came from, she didn't know! After calling her dad, she was later told she was from one part of Uneme, because we've five Unemes in our LG. She was later still asked to name a street in their village, she couldn't name it, she couldn't speak Uneme, because, they've been in Kaduna for long.

Some people are not trying at all! Their parents do not take them home, they don't even speak their language to their children! Most of them believe there are witches in the village that would kill them, if they come, while most of them prefer to build houst in the city, to their village. Whereas if they die anyday, they'd still bury them, in their village; by then, their co-workers would be ashamed to see the type of house a so-called controls in the village!

it's a shame.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Sowy sir dats not my language let me teach u incase u want to learn. Lol- ki bu afa e na nairaland. See. Easy
Afam4eva:
Ogini bu Afa Nairaland gi?

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by XploraBen(m): 3:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Pearlyakin: The last time dat i visited my village was when i was 5 or 6 years,though am from oyo town,but i rep ibadan to the fullest......please how can i post topic on nairaland,my fellow nairalandite help me out...
go to the sections on nairaland and find any section relating to ur topic,click the section so as to create a new topic.Hope that is helpful.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by InvertedHammer: 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
/

Don't blame the parents...blame the uncles in the village.

\
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Afam4eva(m): 4:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
rozzay: Sowy sir dats not my language let me teach u incase u want to learn. Lol- ki bu afa e na nairaland. See. Easy
This sounds like something that Anambra and Aniocha people would say.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
Yep reping aniocha south. Delta state
Afam4eva:
This sounds like something that Anambra and Aniocha people would say.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Afam4eva(m): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
rozzay: Yep reping aniocha south. Delta state
That's where you get the sweetest Igbo dialect.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by kayojosephy(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2013
Once in a lifetime and dats d truth cos nothing ís gonna take me dere as i no even sabi my grandparents grave...
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Toyatc: 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
PapaBrowne: Interestingly, I visited my village for the first time in 25 years just 2 days ago. The village was lost in time but in my opinion very beautiful and serene. I actually visited over an Agric research project been worked on.
I came out with the knowledge that there is over 1000 acres of land accessible for my research. And the most interesting part, the road to the village has just been tarred by the Feds.

Below are some pics. There is no reason why we should all be rushing out to the city where there are really no jobs when we have the greatest assets in our villages-land for Agriculture.

@papabrowne, pls, are you by any chance frm Enugu state? That road looks familiar.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Fecodear(f): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
sunsky29: mine hs been 8yrz 340 days ago..n stl countin.

when next you are going back, make sure you go back with someone because that big tree infront of your compound has been cut down... #juzsaying because of missing road things oo. An advice.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2013
Hmmm thanks dear
Afam4eva:
That's where you get the sweetest Igbo dialect.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Alikaxon(m): 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2013
Seun.l:
It's nice and enlightening to know ones root (village)

But when circumstance and privilege interfere , you have no option but to stay where you are most comfortable.
I agree with when circumstance interfer, because it could be beyond control. But "priviledge" If u happen to be priviledge in any aspect of life, mayb u happen to travel out of the country and u re wealthy and confortable there, I think that is the best oppurtunity to help ur village. U could help in scholarships, etc. But u can't achieve this without being aquainted with ur village and the elders. U must ocassionaly mark out time to visit ur village, if not 4 anything but for them to recognise u as their son or daughter. What if u happen to become a governor or so? U don't know ur root?
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Seunl1: 5:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
Alikaxon: I agree with when circumstance interfer, because it could be beyond control. But "priviledge" If u happen to be priviledge in any aspect of life, mayb u happen to travel out of the country and u re wealthy and confortable there, I think that is the best oppurtunity to help ur village. U could help in scholarships, etc. But u can't achieve this without being aquainted with ur village and the elders. U must ocassionaly mark out time to visit ur village, if not 4 anything but for them to recognise u as their son or daughter. What if u happen to become a governor or so? U don't know ur root?

My mistake : actually meant - lack-of-privilege ie Those who in one way or another, can't sustain there travelling, staying/accommodation in the village etc
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
Sadly, never been there, its a riverine community and to get there,you'll have to brave an hour on a risky speedboat trip. Someday I hope to visit.....much more closer to my maternal roots than my paternal roots

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Alikaxon(m): 6:06pm On Dec 21, 2013
Seun.l:

My mistake : actually meant - lack-of-privilege ie Those who in one way or another, can't sustain there travelling, staying/accommodation in the village etc
noted sir, u re correct. If u watch it closely, lack of priviledge even correlate to some extent with circumstance
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by ketoprofen(m): 6:33pm On Dec 21, 2013
rozzay: Sowy sir dats not my language let me teach u incase u want to learn. Lol- ki bu afa e na nairaland. See. Easy

its still the same thing and meaning.
mine is ndee ihe bu efa gu?
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by AroOkigbo(m): 6:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
Taywon: see gobe..... hw i go ...go wen d witches and wizard are still alive
Witches and wizards don't need your physical presence to harm you.
They now operate on 4.5G.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by AroOkigbo(m): 6:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
Prowizy2: Me go village? You want make those old men and women wey no get teeth again to reason my matter? undecided
Pray God grant you long life. You'll be old one day, you'll lose your teeth and the younger ones will run away from you. One good turn deserves another.
Proudly Arochukwu!
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by donem: 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2013
I hate my village.
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by segzybam(m): 7:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
I've never ever been there. Don't need to go there
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by rhames(m): 7:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
only when necessary grin
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by zeb04(f): 7:19pm On Dec 21, 2013
Aro Okigbo:
Pray God grant you long life. You'll be old one day, you'll lose your teeth and the younger ones will run away from you. One good turn deserves another.
Proudly Arochukwu!
. Aww dats nice, am from arochukwu too. Obinkita 2 be precise
Re: How Often Do You Visit Your Village? by Ngokafor(f): 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2013
..@op every other year when i was growing up...My Dad made sure of that and it was loads of fun for my siblings and i..
..dont get to travel as much now cos of circumstances beyond my control cry lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Somali Culture / Spiritual Meanings Of Alligator Pepper / Nigerian King With The Most Beautiful Palace In Africa Turns 91(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.